PDA

View Full Version : Southbounders?

blackyjones
01-27-2009, 19:38
i know its normally mostly northbounders, but a friend and i are southbounders this year and i just wanna see who else (and how many) i can expect to be making the trip with us. if you are one of us, i would like to know when you plan on leaving too. we're looking at late may most likely.

Marta
01-27-2009, 20:10
SOBOs are few but strong.

May is pretty early, especially with as much snow as they've had this year. (I left at the beginning of July, which was pretty good in terms of weather, water, and bugs.) Good luck!

SOBOs Rule!

wcgornto
01-27-2009, 20:35
I am scheduled for June 15, but will wait for a later start if the weather / snow melt / stream levels require it. My start date is based on allowing a full six months, but being home in South Georgia before Christmas. Check the SOBO forums and the 2009 spreadsheet and you will get a good feel for who is starting when. A lot of people wait for July 1 or later to let the black flies and stream levels subside.

mindi
02-02-2009, 10:37
I'm heading SOBO too, but probably not until July, so I doubt I'll run into you since I'm a slowpoke. Good luck, though!

Frick Frack
02-02-2009, 11:05
:welcome SOBO's!

We sobo'd last year starting June 13th....good luck 2009 sobo's!

Lemhi
02-08-2009, 13:27
Hi Folks,
I'm prepping for a June start o/a the 1st, but that may slide a bit to the right. Any thoughts on the weather this year in ME.

I know the bugs will welcome me with open arms (sic), but I need to step off NLT 15 June at the worst.

Look forward to hearing back.

Lemhi

warraghiyagey
02-08-2009, 17:56
Hi Folks,
I'm prepping for a June start o/a the 1st, but that may slide a bit to the right. Any thoughts on the weather this year in ME.

I know the bugs will welcome me with open arms (sic), but I need to step off NLT 15 June at the worst.

Look forward to hearing back.

Lemhi
Any time the first 2 weeks of June is a great time to head south:sun:sun:sun

blackyjones
02-09-2009, 22:31
well lemhi, im guessing i'll be seeing you somewhere along the way if not right in the begining. we are probably going to head out first week of june it looks like now as some things have had to be rearranged. im looking forward to being driven insane by black flies

Lemhi
02-10-2009, 08:35
Lemhi Aye.

You won't miss me....6'5" 260-ish (and dropping fast) great yellow pack, bug shirt and slathered in bug juice. I expect you'll confuse me for a moose.....hence the yellow pack.

In Nigeria now heading home April time frame.

Look forward to it.

Lemhi

hikergirl1120
02-10-2009, 11:57
I am SOBO too...starying july 1st!! YAY!!

Wrangler88
02-10-2009, 12:20
Starting June 30th.

Johnny Swank
02-10-2009, 12:23
I left on July 1, and had great weather for the most part. Shouldn't have spent so much time in towns, but otherwise could have finished around mid-December. Early-mid June starters got straight-torn up by blackflies from what I understand.

I really, really wish I could sneak off for another SOBO hike this year. It's the only way to roll, for me at least.

phenimore
02-11-2009, 11:44
I'm planning a mid-June start myself and am really looking forward to being alone and also to making some good friends, too. I hope I get a chance to meet some of ya'll from Whiteblaze along the way!