PDA

View Full Version : Best Site for star gazing

Max
05-01-2004, 08:11
Any ideas for a good place to star gaze along the A.T. in Ma. or Vt.?

Kozmic Zian
05-01-2004, 23:43
Yea.....Astrophysiomjfjlslkj...rocketscience. Try Mt Greylock on a clear night....or up in VT, try Bromly Mt or Pico & Killington Peaks. And remember.....'Keep Looking Up'...JH. KZ@

A-Train
05-02-2004, 11:50
Bromley would have my vote. Go to the lookout deck for some great views.

The tower on top of Glastenbury could be good, as could Stratton, though you really aren't supposed to be up on Stratton at night.

Moon Monster
05-02-2004, 12:08
Try Mt Greylock on a clear night

Not a good place when the light on the war memorial tower on top is lit. The globe is large and it burns bright and washes out the sky at night (I spent a night up there last summer and I could see only the brightest sky features--like being in a city).

Perhaps there's a season when it's not lit? If so, this would be a good place.

poison_ivy
05-02-2004, 12:29
I would suggest Goddard Shelter, which is just below the summit of Glastenbury Mt. in Vermont. (The firetower would also be great if you want to hike to the summit.) I saw an incredible amount of stars there on an overnight trip last summer.

- Ivy

DebW
05-02-2004, 13:38
Mt. Carrigain in NH isn't on the AT, but it's a great star-gazing place. There is a large platform on the summit just above tree level, several campsites nearby, and a well about 1/4 mile down. I spend a night on the platform last summer enjoying the view of Mars.

SunnyWalker
01-18-2009, 23:27
To see more stars, (even when there is light nearby) try using binoculars. Heavy to hike with, but if you are just out for a night or two the weight won't kill you. To study more about this read: Stargazing with Binoculars, Robin Scagell, David Frydman, A Firefly book, 2008, Buffalo, New York.

Serial 07
01-19-2009, 01:35
vt has some fire towers that i'm sure would be fascinating...

Screech
01-30-2009, 02:36
Not a good place when the light on the war memorial tower on top is lit. The globe is large and it burns bright and washes out the sky at night (I spent a night up there last summer and I could see only the brightest sky features--like being in a city).

Perhaps there's a season when it's not lit? If so, this would be a good place.

it was under construction in 08 but Im pretty sure it will be done and turned back on for the 09 season.

Yahtzee
01-30-2009, 02:54
Roof of the Inn at the Long Trail.

KG4FAM
01-30-2009, 09:37
The lookout cabin in VT.

Rambler
01-30-2009, 22:17
The Killington summit is 1/4 mile uphill from the shelter and access to the tower is sometimes locked. However, from the tower, hike over and down the steps to the top of the ski lft, a gondola station. There are some level areas that are the start of the ski trail and a good place to tent or camp with great views.

asoutherndude
02-10-2009, 15:07
Two great stargazing places on the southern AT:

Blood Mountain in north Georgia
Cheoah Bald just south of GSMNP

Nicksaari
02-10-2009, 18:57
if you're ever in Virginia, there is an exorbitant amount of potential star gazing camp sites. needing a clear sky first and foremost, one would find gazing campsites on any of the balds and clearings that have pre-existing campsites or fire rings. so spat off some i know of:

the grayson highlands, the trail heading north into damascus from NC,
that ridge overlooking perisburg (sp?), tinker cliffs, cedar cliffs, the summit of Cold Mtn, the grassy open meadow of hog camp gap, spy rock, three ridges secret campsite, the priest, a lot of the summits in SNP.
some of these summits are supposedly illegal to camp upon, but if you're practicing LNT ethic, dont build a huge bonfire for all to see, and respectful, you can certainly get away with doing the nasty in an illegal camping area. ive never been hassled. and if anyone asks what you're doing in an illegal campsite, tell them you work for a college and you're doing a science experience. worked for me.

now there are some real vigilantly WB users that will come hunt you down, i wont name names, but they voted for george bush twice, and are always PMing me, telling me they're going to find me and bury me on an illegal summit, but i say "you're either on my side or in my way."