PDA

View Full Version : Approach Trail???

roxy33x
01-27-2009, 23:08
My husband and I are begining our thru hike this March and we are having a hard time deciding whether or not to do the approach trail. We know that it is a tradition but we heard that it was physically grueling. We are not in the best physical condition and planning to take it slow so the trail can whip us into shape. Im concerned we might get hurt before we even start. Is it worth it?

ChinMusic
01-27-2009, 23:11
The Approach Trail is nothing to fear. It WILL give an idea of what you are up against.

KG4FAM
01-27-2009, 23:13
If you are worried about traditions, don't forget to buy all new gear at Neel Gap.

Tilly
01-27-2009, 23:13
Try searching the forums for this subject. There are a surprising amount of multi-page threads on the Approach Trail.

Cool AT Breeze
01-27-2009, 23:15
But remember it dosen't count as part of the 2175 miles. However it is the first blue blaze, so go for it.

Mongoose2
01-27-2009, 23:17
Roxy

Some people do the approach trail some don't. Yes it is a challange, but it certainly not that tough. The most important thing is to hike your own hike!! If it is stressing you, just start at Springer. Remember, the most important thing.......have fun! It's just walking! By the way, we are nearly neighbors, I live NE of Atlanta and travel to Charlotte often. When are you leaving? I wish you the very best of luck!

roxy33x
01-27-2009, 23:24
if You Are Worried About Traditions, Don't Forget To Buy All New Gear At Neel Gap.

Lol

SGT Rock
01-27-2009, 23:26
It's not that big a tradition. Just decide what is convenient for you when you start.

roxy33x
01-27-2009, 23:26
Roxy

Some people do the approach trail some don't. Yes it is a challange, but it certainly not that tough. The most important thing is to hike your own hike!! If it is stressing you, just start at Springer. Remember, the most important thing.......have fun! It's just walking! By the way, we are nearly neighbors, I live NE of Atlanta and travel to Charlotte often. When are you leaving? I wish you the very best of luck!

We are leaving on March 7th... along with a lot of others! Its gonna be a mad house on springer!

Hooch
01-27-2009, 23:33
My husband and I are begining our thru hike......having a hard time deciding whether or not to do the approach trail.......we heard that it was physically grueling. No more physically grueling than the rest of the trail. Just decide what works for y'all and go for it whatever you choose.

Tinker
01-28-2009, 00:16
I started at the Approach Trail in 2006. It's tough for someone who's not in shape with too much gear. It's sort of traditional, but many, many people don't bother doing it. Fwiw, it's part of the original trail which originally started at Mt. Oglethorpe farther to the south. That's the real reason I decided to do it.

Nest
01-28-2009, 00:22
I wouldn't consider it a tradition as more of a convenience. If you stay at the park overnight then it is more convenient to just walk from the park than to get a ride down the forrest road. There's also an AYCE at the park. It's nice to start the day with a good full meal there then start your hike. I know a lot of people did the approach trail last year because they couldn't find a ride to the forrest rd without handing over more money for a shuttle. If you don't feel like doing it, then by all means don't. After the first couple hundred miles everyone kinda forgets that they even did it. An extra 8 miles doesn't matter either way in the bigger picture.

Red Hat
01-28-2009, 09:46
We are leaving on March 7th... along with a lot of others! Its gonna be a mad house on springer!

Actually Springer won't be so bad as everyone is not there at the same time. Hawk Mountain, however will be a mad house when everyone tries to settle in for the night. Skip the approach and get to Hawk shelter early or find another spot to pitch your tent along the way.

Lone Wolf
01-28-2009, 09:55
My husband and I are begining our thru hike this March and we are having a hard time deciding whether or not to do the approach trail. We know that it is a tradition but we heard that it was physically grueling. We are not in the best physical condition and planning to take it slow so the trail can whip us into shape. Im concerned we might get hurt before we even start. Is it worth it?

it's neither a tradition or physically grueling. it's just one way of several to start the AT. avoid hawk mtn. shelter. it's very crowded each night

Pedaling Fool
01-28-2009, 10:09
I always do the approach trail because I hate to back-track

Bearpaw
01-28-2009, 10:13
I always do the approach trail because I hate to back-track

Take the BMT south for a couple of miles to Springer. Cool blue blaze (although technically it's a white diamond).

Ramble~On
01-28-2009, 10:16
Eight miles of uphill versus a 1 mile backtrack :-?

Though every year hiking the approach trail is a sweet way to pick up new gear while at the same time doing some volunteer trail work...all that new gear along the trail is also litter!

Axes, boom boxes, rope, a scuba mask, books, lanterns...Hell Yeah the approach trail is worth hiking:D

I wasn't there but I remember hearing about a lady who left her pack and entire contents in the Springer shelter and left...claiming she "just can't handle the mice"

Dances with Mice
01-28-2009, 10:42
I wasn't there but I remember hearing about a lady who left her pack and entire contents in the Springer shelter and left...claiming she "just can't handle the mice"Geez, that's right! It's almost time to re-stock the mice in each shelter! How time flies.

DavidNH
01-28-2009, 10:44
well, the AT starts at the summit of Springer so the Approach trail does not count and a thru hiker does not need to do it. But the question that comes to mind is, why skip it? It is beautiful, not all that hard and starts at Amicolola state park headquarters (easy to get to and lots of parking). You could even sleep in the spiffy lodge the night before if you want. When I say it is not all that hard--there is some climbing-- but the climbing is nothing compared to what you are going to see in the coming week, never mind the next six months. And besides, you love hiking--if you didn't like hiking why ever would you be hiking the AT?

DavidNH

jersey joe
01-28-2009, 11:00
Roxy, if you do the approach trail, you won't regret it.

Lilred
01-28-2009, 11:25
The approach trail is easier than a lot of the trail at the start of the hike. It's just so convenient. I've done both the approach and backtracking the mile from the forest road. For me, taking the FR and backtracking was like sneaking in the back door, while the approach trail felt more like walking up to the front door and ringing the bell.

Ramble~On
01-28-2009, 11:36
Yeah and after you get done climbing the steps to the top of the falls you can turn around and head back down to buy a tshirt announcing to the world that you climbed the steps ! Then you can head off into the woods!

Many Walks
01-28-2009, 12:30
It's not extra credit, but it is extra fun! If your hiking the trail to spend time in the woods, then the approach trail is a little more time and you'll be glad you did it. There are some spots to camp toward the top if you're overloaded and need to stop. On the other hand, if you're hiking the trail strictly to get the certificate you might as well skip the approach trail, because you'll also most likely skip a lot later or decide the certificate isn't worth it and quit altogether. As a note, we met "Three Day Jim" in Erwin who got his name because it took him 3 days to make it up the approach trail. In reality it's nothing to fear and will just be a good place to start getting in shape for the rest of the journey. We were glad we did the approach trail. Hike your own hike and enjoy the trail.

Blissful
01-28-2009, 12:36
If you don't think you can do the approach trail, then what awaits you like sassafrass and Blood Mtn certainly will test you. Not to mention the beloved Stecoahs (but that's NC before the Smokies). :) But I'm sure you will do fine. Just start early and stop either at Black Gap shelter or at Springer. The approach is great and exciting and you meet hiking buddies.

Don't get psyched out before you even start. (!)

Deadeye
01-28-2009, 13:16
I'll echo everything that's already been said, and add if you're that concerned about the first 8 miles, maybe a little time in the gym is in order. I know some people do it, but I really can't imagine getting in shape on the trail is much fun. Far better, IMHO, to do some preparation.

SGT Rock
01-28-2009, 21:05
Actually Springer won't be so bad as everyone is not there at the same time. Hawk Mountain, however will be a mad house when everyone tries to settle in for the night. Skip the approach and get to Hawk shelter early or find another spot to pitch your tent along the way.
Shoot, skip them both. If you wanna shelter go to Stover Creek the first night instead of Springer Mountain - it is a much nicer shelter. Then the next day skip Hawk and go on to Gooch Mtn. Shelter.

rockdawg69
01-28-2009, 21:32
Somewhere back in this thread was the advice to Hike-You-Own-Hike. Just pick what you want to do and do it. I'm 62 and did the Approach Dec 21st in 35-40 degree temps, 6.5 hrs and we were enjoying our walk - no practice. Did Springer to Damascus in 2007, 39 hiking days - limited practice hikes.
You can do it.

Lone Wolf
01-28-2009, 21:44
the approach trail is the way to go. if you think you are so special that someone has to drive down those pesky forest roads just to shave 9 miles for you, you have an importance complex. :)

those forest roads are nice and a nice way to have friends and family see you off even though your chances of making it to maine are slim

Rockhound
01-28-2009, 21:47
the approach trail is the way to go. if you think you are so special that someone has to drive down those pesky forest roads just to shave 9 miles for you, you have an importance complex. :)
either that or they just dont feel like hiking the approach trail.

Lone Wolf
01-28-2009, 21:48
ok... and amicolola falls is not nice?

what does maine have to do with the approach trail? :)

you're so deep i can't answer you :-?

Blissful
01-28-2009, 21:51
I'll echo everything that's already been said, and add if you're that concerned about the first 8 miles, maybe a little time in the gym is in order. I know some people do it, but I really can't imagine getting in shape on the trail is much fun. Far better, IMHO, to do some preparation.

Actually, the best prep is the hike itself. My son was a couch potato and did the whole trail. It's all mental out there, really. The fun actually is watching yourself get in shape, the pounds melt away, the miles add up and being able to do longer miles. The first 20 miler day is a great milestone.

Smile
01-28-2009, 22:29
Skip the approach trail ;)

Mags
01-28-2009, 23:00
I have a novel idea!

Hike the approach trail if you want to...skip it if you don't. :)

Screech
01-29-2009, 01:33
Im going to do the approach trail, but only because im hoping to score some abandoned gear. I dont think abandoned gear is as common as it was after "the Bryson effect" but as an experienced hiker 8 miles is nothing for the chance at free stuff. Perhaps another rush of unprepared hikers will hit with the economy as it is.

So I urge you all to hike the approach, and carry too much expensive stuff.

Tennessee Viking
01-29-2009, 04:04
Well you have 8 miles of blue blaze or you can climb up .9 of white blaze to start.

Just be glad you know that the Approach Trail is not required. I ran into a young couple at the summit last year that thought they had to do the Approach. Some of the crowd at the summit laughed, but we cheered them as they headed north to Stover.

SGT Rock
01-29-2009, 21:19
Im going to do the approach trail, but only because im hoping to score some abandoned gear. I dont think abandoned gear is as common as it was after "the Bryson effect" but as an experienced hiker 8 miles is nothing for the chance at free stuff. Perhaps another rush of unprepared hikers will hit with the economy as it is.

For what it is worth...

If you are thru-hiking, don't do the approach trail to get gear, you probably already have what you need and don't need the stuff someone else casts off.

Now for you guys getting ready to hike for the first time ever and think you need to do the approach - Hoahhh!!! I say do it. Me and some friends will come up the trail later and collect all that gear you think you need now in the comfort of your living rooms, but will get the urge to chuck at about mile 2 up the approach. Don't worry, we will keep the good stuff - evrything else we will sell to next years class so we can do it all over again in 2010.

Kanati
01-29-2009, 23:13
I have a novel idea!

Hike the approach trail if you want to...skip it if you don't. :)

Damn, I like the way you said that!!!

Flush2wice
01-30-2009, 00:15
Start at the forest road and hike south all the way to Amicalola. Then get a ride back to the forest road and head north. That way you don't do any backtracking and you also get to hike all downhill.

Bidwell
02-12-2009, 23:59
Hike the approach trail! It's a great trail and the lodge at Amicalola is nice. I've hiked/run the approach trail at least 20 times when I lived in GA, and I gotta be honest I miss it. :) The first mile from the lodge up to the top of the falls is a good 800 ft. of elevation gain, but it rewards you with a breath-taking view. A lotta folks say the approach trail is 9 miles... it's more like 7.5. If you plan on hiking 2000+ miles, whats another few hours, right?

Then again, the forest roads that lead up to Springer are epic (especially in November when the foliage is changing). That backcountry of N. Georgia... nothing like it!

Screech
02-17-2009, 22:50
For what it is worth...

If you are thru-hiking, don't do the approach trail to get gear, you probably already have what you need and don't need the stuff someone else casts off.

Now for you guys getting ready to hike for the first time ever and think you need to do the approach - Hoahhh!!! I say do it. Me and some friends will come up the trail later and collect all that gear you think you need now in the comfort of your living rooms, but will get the urge to chuck at about mile 2 up the approach. Don't worry, we will keep the good stuff - evrything else we will sell to next years class so we can do it all over again in 2010.

Check my sig.I have owned everything I need for a year. But heck, Ill spend a few days or even a week people watching on the approach trail. Even if I don't find a single stuff sack, it will be a good time I am sure.

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 00:57
Hey, Amicalola Falls is beautiful. Signing in, weighing your gear at the start, and walking under the stone arch is the signal to a prospective thru-hiker I'm locked and loaded, I'm on my way, the JOURNEY has begun! Reality check! When I went under that arch I had an ear to ear grin and a hole in my stomach at the same time. I was facing a lot of unknowns, just like ever hiker does. But, I knew that was part of the learning process. And, I also knew that if other people had hiked all the way to Mt. Katahdin I could too! I would learn a lot more before I reached my destination. As far as it being hard, it largely seems that way because a lot of thru-hikers starting out aren't optimally physically or mentally prepared for it. But, if other thru-hikers can start out that way and still manage to succeed by hiking to Mt. Katahdin other people can too! If U R contemplating skipping the Approach Trl simply because U hear it is so hard I'll tell U right now it certainly is not the hardest U R going to find it before the journey is over! At some pt. U R going to have to get started on increasing your physical conditioning. Why not start doing just that at Amicalola Falls? Just take it slow, especially at the start. U will, in all most likelyhood, get into better physical condition and stronger mental place IF U stick with it and find ways to enjoy the journey. Yeah, the Approach Trl miles don't count towards the official length of miles that encompass the AT from end to end, 2174.9, but neither will the miles U spend hiking into and out of resupply pts., traveling blue blazes, walking to/from water sources, going back/forth to shelters, getting lost, etc. And, even though the Approach Trl. is not included in the official length of the AT, I would caution U and ever other prospective thru-hiker that wants to hike the entire AT to get away from the thought of reducing miles, particularly before U even start, because it becomes habitual; it's addictive. U can easily start looking for ways and reasons to skip parts of the trail. I started to fall into those thought patterns and by the time I added up all my missed miles they added up to more than 180 which took me another 2 1/2 wks to go back and clean up all.

ENJOY the JOUNEY!

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 01:06

What a ridiculous reason to hike! Whew!

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 23:19
So, Roxy33X, what did you decide about hiking the Approach Trl.?

roxy33x
02-22-2009, 11:53
We are heading out on the approach trail on march 7th!

grumpypickle
02-22-2009, 12:09
Sgt Rock has the right idea; do the approach trail and stay at Stover the 1st night and Gooch the 2nd night. Stover is a great shelter with quite a few tent pads. Since it is only 2.5 miles from Springer, most people staying there are doing the approach trail.

Ox97GaMe
02-22-2009, 12:12
As stated, the approach trail will give you an idea of what you are really in for. I would suggest that you do the first mile from the visitor center to the lodge and then stay at the lodge overnight. the first mile is almost all uphill, about 1200 ft, I think. You will find out that your pack is probably heavier than you really want to be pulling hills like that.

That night at the lodge, you can re-assess your gear and identify things you can probably get rid of. If you start from the summit, your first opportunity for getting rid of excess gear will be 20 or 30 miles down the trail.

Getting a ride up to FS-42 can be somewhat tricky, unless you plan to stay at the hostel in Dahlonega. They offer free shuttle to either the visitor center or FS-42 with your stay.

As for staying at Hawk... There arent too many other options if you are hiking short distances (less than 10 miles/day). There is not much (if any) water between Hawk and Justus Creek. Staying at Hawk will set you up nicely to camp at either Justus or on over to Gooch Shelter the next day.

In either case, as was stated.. Hike Your Own Hike. Take your time early on and enjoy. As you get in shape, the terrain gets somewhat easier (in Virginia), and the days get longer, the mileage will pick up. A lot of the speed hikers (15-20 milers early) never make it past Damascus. They are burned out or get injured from all the stresses of hiking that sort of distance before your body is ready for it.

Have a great hike. See you up the trail. :)

Lone Wolf
02-22-2009, 12:14
go past stover shelter 1.5 or so and camp around three Forks. heck with the shelter

DapperD
02-22-2009, 13:44
My husband and I are begining our thru hike this March and we are having a hard time deciding whether or not to do the approach trail. We know that it is a tradition but we heard that it was physically grueling. We are not in the best physical condition and planning to take it slow so the trail can whip us into shape. Im concerned we might get hurt before we even start. Is it worth it?I don't believe it is if you feel it may be too strenuous to begin your hike with. I felt the same and posted the thread "Skipping the approach trail". The approach trail was rerouted not very long ago supposedly due to excessive erosion, and 425 steps were constructed for the new one. The beginning thru-hiker must now ascend these right from the get-go(straight up the side of the falls) in order to reach the top. I learned of a better alternative(in my opinion) is to avoid these and still have the best of both worlds so to speak by having someone drive you to the park, spend some time there, then take the access road to the top of the falls, thereby successfully circumnavigating the 425 steps to the top, where bathrooms and soda machines await. From there pick up the approach trail which is located across the lot and proceed to Springer Mountain in a better way:banana

Frick Frack
02-22-2009, 14:14
Hummmm.....I wonder how many sobo's do the approach trail? We had our family waiting at the gap to pick us up & walk the last .9 miles of our hike with us and it would have been too stressful to coordinate the approach into it. After 5 months of hiking and over 2175 miles of walking I really didn't care. We had done it before so we did not miss out but if you haven't done it I have to say it is beautiful. Try it or don't sweat it if you don't.

Dogwood
02-22-2009, 15:47
As stated, the approach trail will give you an idea of what you are really in for. I would suggest that you do the first mile from the visitor center to the lodge and then stay at the lodge overnight. the first mile is almost all uphill, about 1200 ft, I think. You will find out that your pack is probably heavier than you really want to be pulling hills like that.

That night at the lodge, you can re-assess your gear and identify things you can probably get rid of. If you start from the summit, your first opportunity for getting rid of excess gear will be 20 or 30 miles down the trail.

Some good advice! I'm not sure if I would go about lowering pack wt exactly this way, but it is one way to go about, and certainly a good suggestion in principal. I don't know how you are planning to get to the TH or what your pre-hike plans are, but if you are coming from Ohio I think it can make a lot of sense to consider Josh and Leigh Saint's Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. You can recuperate after the flight, train, car, or bus ride, get picked up from wherever public transportation from Ohio leaves you, get a meal that will ready you for your AT start, get some savy last minute pre-hike info, get a ride to the TH, and have someone at the hostel look at your gear. When I went through the Hiker Hostel Pilgrim was there. He offered to look at what everyone was carrying. I saw him reduce the wt of one prospective thru-hikers pack by TWELVE (12) lbs. Most of it in excess food wt or packaging. That can make a difference!

In either case, as was stated.. Hike Your Own Hike. Take your time early on and enjoy. As you get in shape, the terrain gets somewhat easier (in Virginia), and the days get longer, the mileage will pick up. A lot of the speed hikers (15-20 milers early) never make it past Damascus. They are burned out or get injured from all the stresses of hiking that sort of distance before your body is ready for it.

Good advice! I also witness this quite often. It often happens with those obsessed with speed, which is common with younger thru-hikers, but certainly is not confied to that group. I have been to hotels in Franklin that could more aptly be described as thru-hiker hospitals largely because of thru-hikers going out too hard too fast too early. You will most likely hike yourself into better shape. Take it slower at the start. ENJOY the Journey!

Have a great hike. See you up the trail. :)

Enjoy!

Nest
02-22-2009, 18:45
go past stover shelter 1.5 or so and camp around three Forks. heck with the shelter

Isn't that the nice flat area next to the creek with the real tall pine trees?

Lone Wolf
02-22-2009, 18:46
Isn't that the nice flat area next to the creek with the real tall pine trees?

yes it is. much nicer than a crowded, dirty wooden box :)

SGT Rock
02-22-2009, 18:50
Go another 0.8 past that and camp beside a real waterfall. Long Creek Falls has some great campsites.

Lilred
02-22-2009, 19:02
I don't believe it is if you feel it may be too strenuous to begin your hike with. I felt the same and posted the thread "Skipping the approach trail". The approach trail was rerouted not very long ago supposedly due to excessive erosion, and 425 steps were constructed for the new one. The beginning thru-hiker must now ascend these right from the get-go(straight up the side of the falls) in order to reach the top. I learned of a better alternative(in my opinion) is to avoid these and still have the best of both worlds so to speak by having someone drive you to the park, spend some time there, then take the access road to the top of the falls, thereby successfully circumnavigating the 425 steps to the top, where bathrooms and soda machines await. From there pick up the approach trail which is located across the lot and proceed to Springer Mountain in a better way:banana

I did the approach trail last year and didn't climb those stairs. I think I took the old approach trail. It's still there, just not blazed. Goes behind that shelter by the visitor center.

Rockhound
02-22-2009, 19:32
:rolleyes:Ya that approach trail is tough. Skip it. The next 2175 miles after that is just a cakewalk.

Adriana
01-06-2013, 13:48
Three Forks is beautiful!

JetLag
01-06-2013, 14:23
Enjoying discussion on Approach Trail. A mind-numbingly, inane question I have is whether the wannabe thru hiker can "register" and get a "launch number" without going to Amicalola Park?

jj2044
01-06-2013, 14:39
Shoot, skip them both. If you wanna shelter go to Stover Creek the first night instead of Springer Mountain - it is a much nicer shelter. Then the next day skip Hawk and go on to Gooch Mtn. Shelter.

I would do this, except dont stay at Gooch, stay at Justice Creek there are some really nice campsites, its a pretty neat little spot, and only a little less then a miles before Gooch shelter.

mountain squid
01-06-2013, 15:02
Enjoying discussion on Approach Trail. A mind-numbingly, inane question I have is whether the wannabe thru hiker can "register" and get a "launch number" without going to Amicalola Park?No, not really. It would be difficult to even come up with a 'best guess' since not every hiker goes to the park. The parks number will never be 100% accurate.

I suppose you could count all the Springer Mountain log book entries prior to your own for a 'best guess', but even then everyone doesn't sign the log book.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

max patch
01-06-2013, 15:05
I would do this, except dont stay at Gooch, stay at Justice Creek there are some really nice campsites, its a pretty neat little spot, and only a little less then a miles before Gooch shelter.

Or hike past Gooch and camp at Gooch Gap. Good water and its where the shelter used to be if that means anything.

Spit Walker
01-06-2013, 15:25
I wouldnt start a thru hike anyother way. A very special memory of mine was walking away from the roar of the falls toward the quiet woods, saying bye to dad, and thinking of springer. Theres only two ends to the AT and I like making both special. Not that other ways are not special, but hiking to the top just gives you those feelings that driving up then hiking SB dont. BTW I have done the approach trail 3 times now (only once was thru hike) and its not that hard. Just dont do the steps with fully loaded pack. Start that **** with a bang!

pyroman9
01-06-2013, 15:32
The approach trail is a must!! Why? Because then you can officially tell everyone else that it sucks! hahaha It was quite amusing though for me.. and on the bright side you get to officially register at the station there. I had a firm policy of no backtracking on the trail and i wanted to go literally from one end to the other.. so it worked out for me.