PDA

View Full Version : Soaking wet freezing boots

Bear Claw
01-28-2009, 03:53
People say to put on new socks halfway throughout the day. My boots were soaking wet and froze soild over night in the smokys recently. I had to use my propane stove to thaw them out. lol. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

Stir Fry
01-28-2009, 04:08
Not much you can do if its that cold.

fiddlehead
01-28-2009, 04:09
Ahh. the reminder of the beauties of hiking in the cold and wet.
Kicking my feet into frozen boots many a mornin in Maine.

Don't know that there's much you can do about it except learn to love it.
ON my first thru, i tried drying them by the fire. I burnt a good pair of boots trying that one.

Some will say sleep with your wet boots but no thanks, i'll just kick my way into them.
Pleasant memories.

Marta
01-28-2009, 07:36
One of the advantages lightweight shoes have over boots--they dry out more quickly, and warm up more quickly when you put them on frozen.

budforester
01-28-2009, 07:44
The synthetic chamois- cloth that some are using as a pack towel can be stuffed in a boot to soak up a lot of water. Wring it, then stuff the other boot. Not a cure, but it helps.

Ramble~On
01-28-2009, 08:00
Hiking in winter is wonderful if you've got the right gear to make it less of a cold experience...I also love waterfall photography and that often means spending time in chilly mountain water - regardless of season.

Wet boots suck and frozen boots are no fun either.

I swear by these. http://www.danalco.com/

They work and I figured I'd only wear them "sometimes" but they're comfortable enough to leave on. They will warm up your feet and keep the water out. Yes, there will be perspiration but it isn't all that bad and without these on under the same conditions your feet would be cold and wet anyway right...
These work well in Crocs too for winter fording..in a pair of Keens they're perfect too.

They double as nice pair of mittens.

nitewalker
01-28-2009, 08:20
People say to put on new socks halfway throughout the day. My boots were soaking wet and froze soild over night in the smokys recently. I had to use my propane stove to thaw them out. lol. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

bear claw,
try a pr of these bad boys. they are plastic boots with a nice removable liner. the boots are great for winter hiking but i also use them during ice fishing. the boots are suprisingly comfortable to use but i do suggest a break in period. i used those boots yesterday while hiking around in massachusetts. they are surely not for big mile days but great for shorter hikes in some heavier snow...

generoll
01-28-2009, 09:16
here's something I'm going to try on my next hike. I'm taking a pair of those "body warmers", you know the little chemical packets like hand warmers only bigger. Then, at the end of the day when my boots are wet I'm gonna stuff one in the toe of each and then plug the top of each boot with my dirty socks. Dunno if it will dry the boot but with luck it might keep the boots from freezing. Worth trying anyway.

JAK
01-28-2009, 09:19
I like leather boots, if you are using fire, because you can dry them with fire. It helps to seal them with a beeswax sealer so they can't hold as much moisture. I rinse the salt out, then dry them in the furnace room or oven, then treat them while they are warm. They will still absorb some moisture from the inside, which is a good thing, but not as much and not as deep. Felt insoles are good also, and you can bring an extra set. Wool socks of course. It's not enough to keep stuff dry and unfrozen though. You also have to develop and practice ways and means or thawing stuff and drying them out. You can wear socks as mitts, and you can use fire, and sometimes you can walk stuff dry but you can't count on that. I understand mountaineers do winter without fire, but it must be a miserable and sad way to go about life, and the winter woods without fire must be even more miserable. I keep them very small, usually using a can. The can needs to be a bit larger when its really cold.

Something I've been meaning to try to keep the fire smaller. Lay down a square of aluminum foil. Then lay down some sticks and stuff, stuff that you don't intend to burn but might want to dry out for next time. Then your hobo can on top of that. The idea is the sticks and stuff insulate the hobo stove from the ground, and the hobo stove dries it out but doesn't ignite it. Something I might try anyway, as the ground is usually saturated with ice, if you can even get to it. It's an old idea, but the aluminum foil is something I haven't tried yet.

garlic08
01-28-2009, 09:27
Back in the day, when I still wore boots, I would sleep with them under my knees, outside the sleeping bag, and that worked OK without actually sleeping with them. A plastic trash bag is optional, depending on how wet and stinky they are. If they're just damp and pretty clean, they'll actually dry out a little if you don't use plastic.

The under the knees method works great for running shoes, too.

Chenango
01-28-2009, 09:41
Loosen all the laces, open the boot as far as possible, pull out the tongue ... just after you take the boots off. In the morning at least you can get your feet in. Walk around for a few minutes and then tie once they thaw out.

This is not pleasant, but it works.

neighbor dave
01-28-2009, 09:52
put 'em in a plastic bag and throw 'em in your sleeping bag about 1 or 2 hours before you want to put them on, at least they'll be plyable.
you could also try a pair of these;
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_40143_-1______14626%7C14632%7C14635%7C14638%7C40143?listi ngPage=true&Special=false
combined with some tracktion devices like these if it's icy or snowy;

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.html

use some gaiters if you think snow is getting in from the top

neighbor dave
01-28-2009, 09:56
if your boots are leather, you're only out for a short time, and it's mainly a snow issue getting your boots wet this stuff works great;
http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html

volleypc
01-28-2009, 10:10
here's something I'm going to try on my next hike. I'm taking a pair of those "body warmers", you know the little chemical packets like hand warmers only bigger. Then, at the end of the day when my boots are wet I'm gonna stuff one in the toe of each and then plug the top of each boot with my dirty socks. Dunno if it will dry the boot but with luck it might keep the boots from freezing. Worth trying anyway.

I think this is a great idea, but I do have one suggestion that might help. This past weekend I was fishing with these hand warmers and my gloves were wet and it really hindered with the chemical reaction taking place. I think you also need air so putting them in a sealed ziplock bag probably would not work either. When you try this maybe put them in an unsealed ziplock bag. This will keep it warm without getting it damp hopefully.

kytrailman
01-28-2009, 10:18
I know nobody really carries the lexan type nalgenes anymore- but if you do-- fill it with boiling water, wrap your pack towel around it and stuff it in your boots. Will draw alot of the water out. Or , if you are like me, just put em on and thaw em out.

Smile
01-28-2009, 10:34
If you have the luxury of fire at your shelter, a few rocks heated up (not extrememly, but just about too hot to touch with your bare hands) tucked inside your boots will dry them overnight. This works with leather and synthetics, you can also slide them into a wool sock first for synthetics.

:)

skinewmexico
01-28-2009, 10:49
When I still wore boots, Snoseal, and a plastic bag in my sleeping bag worked great.

shelterbuilder
01-28-2009, 12:54
If you have the luxury of fire at your shelter, a few rocks heated up (not extrememly, but just about too hot to touch with your bare hands) tucked inside your boots will dry them overnight. This works with leather and synthetics, you can also slide them into a wool sock first for synthetics.

:)

This sounds like a variation of the old Native American way of heating water (with hot rocks) in combustable bark containers. Heat rocks in fire, place rocks in container filled with water, allow rocks to heat water, remove rocks, repeat as necessary....

Tinker
01-28-2009, 13:05
I know nobody really carries the lexan type nalgenes anymore- but if you do-- fill it with boiling water, wrap your pack towel around it and stuff it in your boots. Will draw alot of the water out. Or , if you are like me, just put em on and thaw em out.

THIS WORKS EXTREMELY WELL! It works best if you carry a couple of the one pint bottles instead of trying to jam a one quart one inside the boot.
I would think that aluminum or stainless water bottles would work at least as well. Kept inside your tent, in a plastic bag, under a jacket, they should provide you with liquid water the next morning, too.

dmax
01-28-2009, 13:11
I wonder if vasaline would work. I think it was on survivorman I saw this. It wasen't for boots but for the horses. He put them on the hooves so the snow wouldn't build up and hurt their feet. I work with a retired horse trainer and was asking him about this. He said it works for the horse, but wasen't sure about the boots. He said to try a different product they use for horses, but I forgot the name. I'll have to ask him again and write it down this time.

Just Jack
01-28-2009, 13:27
I was told that the way to deal with frozen boots in the winter was to dip them in a nearby stream. Water will be above freezing if it's moving. Never had to try it.

sticks&stones
01-28-2009, 13:42
I dont know what works for other hikers but i've hiked thru several entire winters with cross training shoes and seal skinz socks, low gaitors, and loose fitting nylon pants. Though in places like maine, and the whites I've used plastic mountaineering boots on really short winter range crossing hikes only. I guess if i used full grain leather, or the like, i'd ring out my socks, bag em, and peel my boots open before going to bed.

Hooch
01-28-2009, 13:53
Put a couple of hand warmers in each boot and wrap them in your pack cover. Works like a charm.

boarstone
01-28-2009, 16:04

Don't hike from Georgia until March...:D

fiddlehead
01-28-2009, 20:42
I was told that the way to deal with frozen boots in the winter was to dip them in a nearby stream. Water will be above freezing if it's moving. Never had to try it.

Now that's funny!

SGT Rock
01-28-2009, 20:55
People say to put on new socks halfway throughout the day. My boots were soaking wet and froze soild over night in the smokys recently. I had to use my propane stove to thaw them out. lol. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?If you have a trash bag or liner in your pack, put your boots in it and then seal it up good. Put the bag of boots at the bottom of your sleeping bag.

Mags
01-28-2009, 22:42

It actually works!

On a trip to the LCW (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,36/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=17318&g2_page=1)this past summer, I had to 'schwack through some snow. (The trail was buried; easier to map and compass it).

Anyway, being tired and a bit forgetful, I forgot to stash my sneakers in the bottom of my bag. They froze a bit overnight. Doh!

I used the very trick you mentioned at a nearby stream. The shoes loosened up enough to jam my feet into them and I walked on.
NOTE: This was in late spring/early summer...and not winter. :)

GeoHiker
02-01-2009, 16:17
I was hiking in NC on the Art Loab trail two or three weeks ago and the very same thing happened to me, I woke up and my boots were frozen solid. the next night i put some hand warmers in them and plugged the ankle hole with dirty socks. worked like a charm. ill never leave home with out them during my winter hikes

Colter
02-01-2009, 19:06
You've gotten some good ideas so far.

One trick I've used is to heat up some water to boiling, put a ziploc in each boot or shoe, then fill the bags part way up with the hot water. Even better if you cover them with a tarp, fly or a spare jacket as they warm. Thaws your footwear right out and won't destroy your shoes/boots like fire sometimes does for the unwary. Once you have them on, hike fast until you and your footwear can stay warm.

Bear Claw
02-24-2009, 16:07
Thanks everyone! "tons" of helpfull ideas for the memory banks. Next winter I think i'm gonna try snow boots with liners. I'll sacrifice the weight for warmer feet. Hopefully they have enough traction in the slush and mud.

Sharkey
02-24-2009, 16:27
I have to agree with putting the hand warmers in the boots. My boots got soaked in the rain in January. Stayed at the shelter and everything froze that night but I had put one hand warmer in each boot and the boots were dry in the morning. They were still a little stiff but loosened up after a few minutes.

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 20:08
One thing about those warmers. Last winter on the trail it was the most prevalent form of trash I saw. For goodness sakes - if you had the energy to pack 'em in - please pack them out too.

Tipi Walter
03-02-2009, 11:38
bear claw,
try a pr of these bad boys. they are plastic boots with a nice removable liner. the boots are great for winter hiking but i also use them during ice fishing. the boots are suprisingly comfortable to use but i do suggest a break in period. i used those boots yesterday while hiking around in massachusetts. they are surely not for big mile days but great for shorter hikes in some heavier snow...

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned the old reliable Sorel pack boots. These rubber babies will not freeze or get soaked, although sometimes the top leather legging part will freeze. I got so tired of frozen boots and winter backpacking that I sprung for a pair and used them religiously for several years. The only drawback? A bit clunky when hiking long distances, extra calorie expenditure.

This sounds like a variation of the old Native American way of heating water (with hot rocks) in combustable bark containers. Heat rocks in fire, place rocks in container filled with water, allow rocks to heat water, remove rocks, repeat as necessary....

This was an oft repeated way of cooking and the pot of choice was often a buffalo stomach opened and stretched over sticks, filled with soup and cooked with hot rocks.

Here's what happens in 10 degrees with that method: They freeze solid including the laces and to undo the laces you either have to cut them off or cover them in hot water. I took out a friend about 5 years ago on a January trip and it never got above 10 degrees. We had 9 creek crossings and just left our boots on and by the time we reached camp I had to cut off her laces with my knife--frozen like a brick. Better option? Hate to say it, but wear Crocs and maybe some of Ramble On's waterproof socks. Save the boots. Can a human being cross a cold water creek in 10 degrees in Crocs? Yes.

Wet frozen boots are part of winter backpacking. Just get used to it and open them up wide before you go to sleep so you can get into them in the morning. And put on your old wet and frozen socks. They'll warm up after you hit the trail. Always keep a pair of dry socks no matter what.

Vagrant Squirrel
03-03-2009, 11:28
They have a product for pets called Paw Pro Pad De-icer spray. Essentially it is made up of preening oil (the stuff birds naturally secrete in order to coat their feathers and make them waterproof and insulated), lanolin and sunflower oil (both fatty oils). It is supposed to help repel water, ice and snow and prevent ice from forming. I have no idea if it would work on boots or not though.

I'm surprised no one has come out with a spray on de-icer specifically for boots. Though with all of the technology in boot design, they still can't even seem to get waterproofing down, so I doubt that will exist for awhile.

saimyoji
03-03-2009, 12:45
Put a couple of hand warmers in each boot and wrap them in your pack cover. Works like a charm.

If someone's got a fire going, hot rocks work well like this too.

sixhusbands
03-03-2009, 13:19
I took the pocket warmers in the shoes idea to the next step and it worked quite well. After you put the warmers in each shoe.. take your shoes and wrap them inside your Goretex jacket. The Goretex does what it does best and wick the moisture from the boots out through the fabric. The key is to have a heat source to activate the Goretex and the warmers do just that. It works even faster when the air temperature is colder!

jnflas91
03-03-2009, 17:48
Wow i id the same for a friend near the del gap
cold is only temporary and what does not kill ya makes you stronger

Doctari
03-03-2009, 19:02
In really cold weather, I hang mine from the ridgeline of my hammock, inside my hammock sock, next to my water bottle. The water in the bottle stays liquid (to 7 degrees outside temp) & the boots are damp & cold, but still (mostly) wearable.
This may work in a tent with a sutable ridgeline, but bear in mind that my hammock sock is just large enough to fit around me with about 1.5' of "headroom" so there is less empty space to heat with what excapes from my quilt. Both hang at my feet. Possibly, they would stay warmer if at the head end, but I have smelled my boots,,,,, lets just say; "NO!" :p

kayak karl
03-03-2009, 19:08
at Cosby Shelter the rainy day temp dropped from 34* to 15* at 4-5 pm. soaked boots in stream for 1/2 hour to thaw in morn. once they were on, i hiked like im late; im late
for a very important date,
no time to say hello, goodbye,
im late,im late, im late
Hey, i didnt see anyone for three days :) it was better then the Mickey Mouse Fan Club song, but i REALLY liked Annette :)

Ekul
03-03-2009, 19:17
at Cosby Shelter the rainy day temp dropped from 34* to 15* at 4-5 pm. soaked boots in stream for 1/2 hour to thaw in morn. once they were on, i hiked like im late; im late
im late,im late, im late
Hey, i didnt see anyone for three days :) it was better then the Mickey Mouse Fan Club song, but i REALLY liked Annette :)

/giggle

Tipi Walter
03-03-2009, 19:26
im late,im late, im late

I was looking thru some of your cold weather trail journal entries and have to say you saw some butt cold temps in Jan/Feb. I wasn't too far away going thru my own single digit medulla squirts and trying to keep my feet and my fingers from freezing off. BTW, how did your shelter system work out??

kayak karl
03-03-2009, 19:54
I was looking thru some of your cold weather trail journal entries and have to say you saw some butt cold temps in Jan/Feb. I wasn't too far away going thru my own single digit medulla squirts and trying to keep my feet and my fingers from freezing off. BTW, how did your shelter system work out?? was easy to hang in smoky shelters. had to hang hi, but i hung.. never was cold. Mt. washington JRB under, 0* golite adreniline over quilt and HH ultra explorer hammock. it was learning to stay in it for 14 hrs straight that was hard :)