PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Swiss Roll
01-28-2009, 06:12
My daughter's 6th grade class is going to Tremont for 3 days next month. She mentioned to her science teacher that I am a hiker, so he asked if I would come to class and give a talk on layering. O.K. I understand layering, but how do you talk about it for 20 minutes? Anybody know of any good links where I could find some more info to pad my presentation?

Thanks

Ramble~On
01-28-2009, 06:30
Try searching the threads here on WB or head to your library and check into The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher & The Backpacker's Handbook by Chris Townsend.

A quick talk, hands on demo of hiking related clothing with explanation of materials (wool, nylon, down, synthetics), and questions and answer ought to eat up 20 minutes.

Egads
01-28-2009, 06:39
5 minutes on layering & 15 minutes on your hikes & the trail

252 results for whiteblaze thread search on layering. here are a few interesting links

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/3517/v/1/

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15563&highlight=everest

http://www.davepagecobbler.com/mallory.html

fiddlehead
01-28-2009, 07:33
I did this for a cub scout pack once. (Talked about what they should wear when camping.)
I brought my pack along with everything i thru-hike with and set it up and explained the gear.
They were so into it. one kid's parents came for him early and he started screaming that he couldn't go now, as he wouldn't learn how to camp.

I think if you show them rather than explain to them, it'll make a more lasting impression.

Good luck. ( by the way, i come from near Tremont in PA which is in the heart of the coal regions but for some reason, i think maybe you are talking about somewhere else)

Bearpaw
01-28-2009, 09:39
Make an impression. Let students feel the layers, and pull some stuff on. They will be big, but they'll appreciate the interaction. Let your selected student(s) run around in all the layers, then show the importance of removing layers so they don't sweat too profusely.

Layer your daughter up for them, too.

If you can manage something outside, show them that your raingear really works with a sprinkler or hose shot into the air.

Have fun with it. Don't just discuss. Be sure to demonstrate and DO! It will really help them before they start tromping up the mountains at Tremont on an early cold morning, then freeze on the way back down because they sweated through most of their layers.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2009, 09:44
Lots of good suggestion so far.
A key rule is that, ultimately, nobody likes long one sided lectures. I'd add to draw them into the presentation and get them participating by asking them questions to set up your main presentation points, such as: "can anyone tell me why we get cold?"(talk about losing heat to cold air, wind, wet), "has anyone ever heard of hypothermia?"(talk about body temp, danger and warning signs), "does anyone know why people always say that if your feet are cold, put on your hat?" maybe throw some humor in here(and other places) maybe something here like "no, not on your feet--then you'd need two hats"(talk about how much heat is lost from head); "Why are many thinner layers better than one thicker one?"(talk about adjusting insulation to meet needs and avoiding sweating); "has anyone ever gotten wet and spent all day soaked"(talk about the need to stay dry in order to stay warm, and that at a minimum they should have an outer layer that doesn't absorb water even if they aren't going to be buying expensive synthetic/wool "hiker clothing")

DDuhon
01-28-2009, 10:14
maybe bring a scale, and weigh 3 layers vs 1 heavy coat. bring water to a boil, cover two containers of boiled water, one with lighter 3 layers, 1 with heavy coat, take temp 10 minutes later. Use 10 minutes to talk about whatever you wnat. Likely a good idea to try experiment a couple of times ahead,

Pointman
01-28-2009, 10:18
I used to do a lot of dog sledding talks and one of the things I always did was dress kids up in mushing gear. They always seemed to really enjoy puting the gear on.

I think several folks have some excellent ideas for you here.

shelterbuilder
01-28-2009, 10:28
LOTS of great ideas here. Get the kids INVOLVED in your presentation in some way, and don't worry about filling up 20 minutes - you will very likely run over if the kids are at all curious. I did a similar talk years ago when my son was in grade school - took all of my equipment in (packed in the pack, of course), and during the course of my talk, unpacked the entire pack. Set up my tent and we saw how many kids we could fit inside of it (LOTS!).

Stress the layering concept: several thinner layers that can be put on/taken off as needed. WE all know that cotton is no good in the outdoors, but they won't, so tell 'em that, too, and give them some cheap ways to avoid cottons by using synthetics.

If you have fun with it, the kids will, too.