PDA

View Full Version : Tent Recommendations (for hiking w/dog)

WritinginCT
01-28-2009, 11:58
Okay so after weighing my tent (7.5lbs! :eek::eek::eek: ) I need to find something much much much lighter.

So I am looking for recommendations -and I posted this in the "dog" forum because my primary concern is that the tent is for both myself and my 50lb boxer and I need something that will be:

a) big enough for the two of us;
b) has a floor (the tarp thing just won't work with my snake paranoia);
c) durable enough (ie will withstand dog toenails);
d) doesn't cost three fortunes.

Any suggestions?

Cabin Fever
01-28-2009, 12:00
Haven't got my dog yet (this summer), but I plan on using a Hubba Hubba. Plenty of room for me, my gear and a pad for the dog.

Tinker
01-28-2009, 12:02
Might be a better idea for you to buy a lighter (solo?) tent and use a separate silnylon tarp for your dog? If you want your dog in the tent with you, I'd suggest you don't go ultralight as most ul tents have thin nylon floors with thin coatings, something your dog's nails would tear up in a hurry.

Sierra Trading Post always has a few odd Sierra Designs tents with thicker floors.
Btw: Will this be mostly for warmer weather or cooler? Is any winter use expected. That will also be a major factor in choosing a tent, dog or not.

WritinginCT
01-28-2009, 12:35
Strictly 3 season use. :)

And I'd really prefer that she be in the same tent with me (she's slept with me since she's been 11 weeks old - I don't think she would adapt well to being separated at night)

I was considering carrying (in addition to a ground cloth) a runner-like piece of tyvek to using inside the tent that might help protect the floor where the dog would walk.

I'll check out Sierra :)

mountain squid
01-28-2009, 12:39
Check these out: Tarptent (http://tarptent.com/products.html) and Six Moon Designs (http://sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=11&cat=Shelters).

Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but both have very good tents. There are probably floor options as well. Your dog might be able to stay under the vestibule.

If the dog must stay inside with you, consider a lightweight tent and instead of a 'ground cloth', cut a tarp to fit inside the tent to protect the floor from toenail punctures. This might be lighter than a tent with a heavier floor. Also, if, for whatever reason, you have to send the dog home, all you will have to do is get rid of the extra cut-up tarp piece. Just something to think about.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mountain squid
01-28-2009, 12:42
I was considering carrying (in addition to a ground cloth) a runner-like piece of tyvek to using inside the tent that might help protect the floor where the dog would walk.Oh, I see you already thought of that. Good idea.:)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Rouen
01-28-2009, 12:50
The Eureka Zeus 2 might work, I know RiverWarriorPJ and his dog Zeus use this tent.

deke
01-28-2009, 12:52
I was looking to lighten up my shelter as well, but had worries about getting a lightweight tent or tarptent with my German Shepherd's crazy toenails. So, I called up Henry Shires at Tarptent and he told me that he has never encountered problems from dogs in their tents with silnylon floors. He commonly hikes with their 50lb dog and has never had a problem.

In the end, I picked up a tarptent, and took it out with a friend and his golden retriever. No problems yet, though I'll be interested to see how it holds up to my GSD.

If you are worried, I think the additional Tyvek runner is a great idea. Another great component of tarptents, is that, if something DID happen, I'm pretty certain that you can replace the floor instead of the entire shelter.

I hope this helps!

shelterbuilder
01-28-2009, 13:00
Great idea RE: Tyvek.

As a general suggestion, try to clip the dog's toenails as short as possible before the hike.

When I hiked with dog and tent, I used to bring along a small piece of wool blanket. The dog would sleep on this, but it also helped to protect the floor of the tent from his nails.

Tinker
01-28-2009, 13:15
In thinking this through a bit, I would think you'd need a two person tent with the most vertical walls you could get, otherwise the dog will be wiping down the inner walls of the tent and donating all that moisture to you. A dome (two poles at least) tent is probably the way to go, and I doubt you'll get one big enough that weighs less than 5 lbs. (trail wt. w/ stakes and sacks). My SD Aurora CD is an all season tent with a large and small vestibule which weighs around 6 lbs. (don't believe the weights you read from the manufacturer, read some owner reviews, if possible).
Two poles, mesh walls, and a good sized vestibule would probably be a good starting point for a three season tent. A synthetic bag might be a good idea, too, as you'll have to wash it more often than someone who doesn't sleep with their dog. Treat the bag (the outside, at least) and your clothing with Permethrin for ticks, as well as using a tick and flea treatment on your dog.

Two Speed
01-28-2009, 13:19
I've been using a Six Moon Designs Lunar off and on for about 4 years now; plenty big enough for me, my 40 - 45 lb mutt and all my gear. Got the "heavy duty" floor, 70 denier IIRC. So far no problems.

ofthearth
01-28-2009, 13:37
We use a Hubba and it seems to work out. He likes the vestibule which is nice because then he is not tracking mud etc over bag etc. He comes and goes as he wants. Mostly likes to sit look and listen even in the rain/ sleet as it was doing here. Has his own pad, water etc.

Tinker
01-28-2009, 13:52
This looks like a good choice:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

Tinker
01-28-2009, 14:50
Another possibility:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27167

Campmor is another great place to look at many tents.

Check out LL Bean and Cabela's, too. Cabela's has a nice tent that has good reviews.

berninbush
01-28-2009, 15:00
The Eureka Zeus 2 might work, I know RiverWarriorPJ and his dog Zeus use this tent.

I bought one of these used on Whiteblaze for $50. It's plenty big inside for a person, a dog, and a pack (I have a Golden Retriever). The weight is somewhere between 4 and 5 lbs I think, and it packs down small thanks to the shorter sections on the dome poles. We've just done a couple of overnight hikes with it so I can't comment on how the floor holds up with a dog's paws over time, but so far no problems.

I also like my Ozark Trail Jr. Dome Tent. :sun For $13, if you punch a hole in the floor you can just go buy a new one.

Screech
01-28-2009, 15:13
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2

Plenty of room for you, gear, and a wet dog. Not too much weight either.

If you can fit the Seehouse SL1 is obviously lighter, but it could get annoying with a wet dog.

LIhikers
01-28-2009, 16:51
My wife and I used to hike with our 75 pound shephard when he was younger.
When we were all together we used either a Sierra Designs Sirius 3. There is also a 2 person version of this tent. Also, we've used a Tarptent Rainshadow II.
When one of us would go solo with our dog we'd use a Tarptent Rainbow.
Hope that helps.

Mercy
01-28-2009, 17:13
I hike with a 70-lb lab who sleeps in the tent with me. We use a BA pre-production Emerald Mtn SL2 tent. I believe the material is the type they use on the EM SL2, with the top cross bar like the Copper Spur.

Having said that, either of those two models have pretty steep walls (so the dog isn't on the tent a whole lot.) The tent has two big vestibules.

Having a dog sleeping in the tent, I would make the following observations:
1) Make sure you have a double walled tent! The dog will bump the tent, and the double wall will stop the "rainfall" that would come from a single wall.
2) Carry a cut down z-rest or foam pad for your dog. It provides insulation for the dog, and also keeps the nails off the tent floor. (Mine has a bag, too.)
3) Take a chamois cloth with you to dry off your dog, wipe the dogs feet, etc. I use it for a lot of other etc.
4) Train your dog to not enter or exit the tent without your ok. My dog enters one paw at a time while I wiipe off her paws.
5) I use a footprint (ground cloth) that extends into the vestibule area to help facilitate keeping the tent cleaner. If it is blowing rain, I just roll it up to the edge of the tent once we're inside.
6) Keep your dog's nails trimmed, starting way before your hike. I carry a big emory board to take off any snags.
7) I also put my pack/loose materials in the floor space of the tent in the left over area that our pads don't cover.

I know its more than you asked... but its free!:banana

WritinginCT
01-28-2009, 21:21
Wow! Lots of stuff for me to investigate (it'll keep me busy tomorrow seeing as how we just got snow and freezing rain today- I'm not going anywhere lol)

Thanks gang!

Egads
01-28-2009, 21:32
I believe that a double wall, two man, two vestibule tent is the most practical to use with a dog because you can have your gear in 1 vestibule, your dog can sleep inside with you (when clean), or in the other vestibule when wet / dirty. Most two man tents with this design have doors on both sides which make coming and going easier, and better ventilated.

The brand, model, & weight are up to you.

ofthearth
01-29-2009, 00:25
Don't know what it would cost(shipping there and back) but my dog said he would be willing to loan your dog the tent ( A Hubba ) if your dog wanted to try it out. Could set it up in the yard/ sleep in it etc.

superman
01-29-2009, 08:58
I used a Northface slickrock tent on the AT. I liked the doors on both sides. It erected fast and easy, even in the rain. It is free standing. I left the half fly on it all the time...except in the summer heat. It has lots of screening. It had plenty of room for Winter and I ...plus our gear. Pat, Winter and I have used it but it's snug for three. I had a tent that you entered over the pillow area...that didn't work for me. I paid $300 for an ultra light tent for the PCT but when it rained it was like sleeping in a car wash. We've been using a tarp the last few years and that works fine.

restless
01-29-2009, 09:39
Have you considered a tent like the Black Diamond Megalite? little bit different as it doesn't have a floor. It is a tepee tent, 1.75lbs or so and very roomy. The benefit of not having a floor with a dog is that it will substantially cut down on wear and tear plus you wouldn't have to worry if your dog is wet and/or muddy. both of you and your gear could be inside together out of the elements. I had a border collie,german shepherd mix and she loved this tent because when nature called she didn't have to bother me to be let out. She just went outside on her own.

"Cat"
02-16-2009, 15:37
I would just get, a dome tent from, "Walmart", 2 to 3 person variety. They are cheap and around $25.00, then throw away the origional stakes and get alum lightweight stakes!

I got my tent's weight down to 5 lbs 4oz's,just an idea me and my dog have shared this, and of course a piece of old blanket for the floor to keep him warm!

My dog will never sleep outside, he's a big baby, he has to be around me! Good luck on your tent selection :)

Your hiking friend; "Cat"

superman
02-16-2009, 16:40
Winter is a little 70 lb white german shepherd. We used a Northface Slick Rock 2 person tent on the AT. It is about 4 lb. I liked it because it had 2 side access. I was more comfortable going to sleep knowing that Winter was secure in the tent. With the fly off during the summer Winter spent too much time looking outside watching the critters running around. The slick rock is a free standing tent so in the morning I'd pick it up over my head and shake the dirt and dog fur out. Winter has never damaged the floor of any tent we've used and I never use a footprint. I started off on the AT carrying a special fur pad for Winter until I realized she didn't want to be on it. When it was hot during the summer she slept in the far corner from me. When it was cold and or wet she would snuggle right up next to me. I put my 20 degree down rectangular bag over the two of us and she'd warm me right up. Before the Slick Rock we had a one person LL Bean tent that sucked. The access was over the pillow (clothes bag). While we could fit in it we couldn't be apart enough when it was warm and it didn't have enought easy venting.
More recently we used a tarp on the LT, and that also worked, but she tends to not sleep as well when she can look out into the woods.

CrumbSnatcher
02-16-2009, 19:08
didn't read any of the post here,but i'll throw in my two cents. my dog had alot of trail miles with me, the last few years we slept in a zoid 2 tent (non-freestanding) it is a very good tent.

CrumbSnatcher
02-16-2009, 19:18
your dog will love you for having a tent/tarp,its so much more forgiving and comfortable on their boby(hips) and they will sleep better without all the noise of people getting up all hours of the night in the shelter,and they won't get stepped on(believe me that can happen)in a shelter.

WritinginCT
02-17-2009, 12:57
I've been looking at all the suggested tents- thanks gang. Now I just need to decide (lol ie which one won't break the bank).

I think Peanut will do really really well in a tent. She's been crate trained since we got her at 12wks old so she's used to having a "den". She's also used to sleeping with me so I think that she will very quickly identify the tent as our "den" and place to nest.

Gaiter
02-17-2009, 13:01
Okay so after weighing my tent (7.5lbs! :eek::eek::eek: ) I need to find something much much much lighter.

So I am looking for recommendations -and I posted this in the "dog" forum because my primary concern is that the tent is for both myself and my 50lb boxer and I need something that will be:

a) big enough for the two of us;
b) has a floor (the tarp thing just won't work with my snake paranoia);
c) durable enough (ie will withstand dog toenails);
d) doesn't cost three fortunes.

Any suggestions?

i've got a old msr zoid 1.5
its well built and tough, but it weighs 4lbs, still lighter than your 7.5
fits my fatass and my dog and our gear

Gaiter
02-17-2009, 13:04
I've been looking at all the suggested tents- thanks gang. Now I just need to decide (lol ie which one won't break the bank).

I think Peanut will do really really well in a tent. She's been crate trained since we got her at 12wks old so she's used to having a "den". She's also used to sleeping with me so I think that she will very quickly identify the tent as our "den" and place to nest.

this might be useful... my dog has a piece of tyvek that she knows as hers... keeps her from moving around so much by giving a designated spot

Two Speed
02-17-2009, 13:17
That is a good idea. Gives the dog a little something between the dog and the ground, and if the dog gets nasty and muddy all ya gotta do is shake the tyvek out in the morning.

technical76
04-14-2009, 00:23
I use a Hubba Hubba and it has been perfect for me and my 45 pound aussie. She has slept under the vestibule on a few occasions but mostly she snuggles up next to me. Provides enough room for me, my dog and all my gear to stay dry.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3587/3295199601_1f8de2699a.jpg?v=0

Ratchet-SectionHiker
05-06-2009, 18:41
We have a Six Moon Designs Lunar duo two person non-freestanding tent (less than 3 lbs!). Last weekend me, my wife, Marley (60 lb yellow lab) and Jack ( 55 lb pit mix) all shared the tent overnight in a downpour. The tent stayed super dry, no leaks at all. The tent walls are straight up enought that we didn't have to worry about them beating the condensation on us with their tails. The only problem we had was when it was getting dark it was hard for them to see the thin guy line coming from the top of the tent out to the sides that hold up the tent and support the vestibules. I just laid a stick against them and they stopped tripping over them. They have not damaged the floor yet even when startled at 3 am by a bunch of wild turkeys thru-hiking on the trail ( literally marching down the trail)

2011_thruhiker
05-06-2009, 20:26
I went to walmart, bought a cheap tent-because I didn't want to spend a fortune either for something that my dog was going to sleep in with me and possibly put holes through it, paid 19.95, weighs 3lbs-poles and all, compacts easy and has been very very very durable-going on season 3 now. Best investment!

apudreamer
02-02-2010, 01:24
Has anybody tried a TT Cloudburst 2 with a dog (60-65lbs)? I don't have to worry about her brushing into the sides as she hates to bump into anything. A little extra space would also be good as she prefers to stay away from my sleeping bag if possible. Thanks for the idea about the wool cloth on top of the pad.

Chip
02-02-2010, 21:58
I agree with the advice that Mercy gave you. Basically any 2 person tent or tent-tarp is fine. I have hike with my wife and 2 dogs and a 2 person tent has worked out okay. Put a bed of leaves under your tent or footprint this will help in many ways (can reduce puncture problems due to any sharp nails that your dog might have).:)

drifters quest
02-02-2010, 23:54
I was wondering the same thing when I realized my hubba wouldnt work for me and my 40lb dog. She wasnt happy at my feet and I wouldnt have trusted her to stay in the vestibule. Plus, the thought of her coming in wet and walking over my down sleeping bag everynight wasn't appealing. I finally decided on the tarptent double rainbow. Truth is it weighs the same as the Hubba (though maybe not quite as heavy duty and freestanding only with hiking poles [if they are long enough]). I did talk to someone from tarptents though who says he hasnt had any complaints about the durability of the floors. The one thing I didnt like about the tarptent is it has to be seamsealed and you dont have the option of having them do it for you. I attempted to seam seal my tent but for some reason I just don't think I did it right. Anyways, I like the idea of a two person tent for the dog since it means more room for her and more room for my gear in the rain.

thelowend
02-03-2010, 23:32
my dog is just 10lbs lighter than yours and ive done the measurements for a moment from tarptent (what i plan on buying soon) and it looks like she will fit by my side no problem. i will just bring a little pad for her to make sure she doesnt rip up the floor.

LIhikers
02-03-2010, 23:57

Wait a minute.
Does that mean you sleep with your dog in her crate at home?????
:eek:

thelowend
02-04-2010, 00:14
crate trained mean that they leave her in the crate when they leave the house. sometimes this includes them being in a crate at night but most folks i know sleep with their pups in their own beds.

Man and His Dog
03-16-2010, 16:47
I have a Hilleberg Akto and it is perfect for me and my pup. She sleeps in the vestibule on her pad. If it gets really cold she comes inside with me. The vestibule has a floor (the groundcloth) which works out great. Couldn't be happier with this tent.

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 17:59
I have a 70 lb shepard and lab mix, the tent i use is eurek backcounrty solo, i got the mountain smith pad for dogs, it great nylon on one side and fleece on the other, total set up $160. Im 6'5 and the dog sleeps at my feet on her pad with no problem.

Incahiker
04-16-2010, 10:13
I have a dog that is a little bit bigger then a beagle. She is half chow, half beagle actually. Anyhow she fits fine in with me in my Seedhouse SL1. I just cut a piece of blue foam down to her size and that is her sleeping pad, just like mine. The only problem is that sometimes during the summer she can get a TON OF TICKS on the A.T. and you can feel them crawling all over you, which sucks. But I had to let her in my tent as there were coyotes hovering all around my camp site all night howling into the night. Coyotes think dogs are snickers bars.

Gray Blazer
04-16-2010, 10:28
My 70 lb dog and I use the Hubba Hubba 2 man tent. It works well for us.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/065.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=30952&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

SteveJ
04-16-2010, 14:01
I have a dog that is a little bit bigger then a beagle. She is half chow, half beagle actually. Anyhow she fits fine in with me in my Seedhouse SL1. I just cut a piece of blue foam down to her size and that is her sleeping pad, just like mine. The only problem is that sometimes during the summer she can get a TON OF TICKS on the A.T. and you can feel them crawling all over you, which sucks. But I had to let her in my tent as there were coyotes hovering all around my camp site all night howling into the night. Coyotes think dogs are snickers bars.

off topic: Frontline! We did a 50 mile hike last June in NC. I had read here before the hike that ticks were bad, so treated the dog with Frontline and her pack, our clothing and gear with permethrin. The only tick we saw on the entire trip was a dead tick in her fur Scott found in the truck on the way home......