PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker hacked me off

CaptChaos
01-28-2009, 12:02
I really hate it when companies sell your contact info to others. All of a sudden I started getting e-mails from companies who told me that I had signed up for their newletter, etc..

I got one today from Woolrich and I never did contact them. They at least had a link to show you where they got your data and here it is below:

http://echo4.bluehornet.com/phase2/bhecho_files/images/backround_lt2.gif
Source Information for your Email Address
http://echo4.bluehornet.com/phase2/bhecho_files/images/backround_rt2.gifhttp://echo4.bluehornet.com/phase2/bhecho_files/images/t.gif
You have already been opted-in to the systemEmail Address:[email protected] Name:JOHNLast Name:KNIGHTEmail Type:not specified, defaulted to MIMEAddress:158 HOUNDS RUN DRIVECity:BOWLING GREENState:KYZIP/Postal Code:42104Home Phone:xxx-xxx-xxxxDate and time signed up:January 28, 2009 at 5:48:59 AM (PST)A description of how your email address was obtained:Your e-mail address was added to this list either through our cooperation with Backpacker Magazine or Backpacker.com. Company Contact InformationEmail Address:[email protected] Number:800-966-5372Mailing Address:Woolrich, Inc. c/o Customer Service 2 Mill Street Woolrich, PA 17779
I really hate it when they do this.

How do you feel about this?

Sly
01-28-2009, 12:07
I hate when they do that. I also hate reading privacy statements. If they don't stop sending me emails when I opt out, I set up a filter that directs their email to the spam folder.

Gumbi
01-28-2009, 12:12
That didn't tick me off as much as the backpacker magazine a few months ago. Neither of the two major articles had anything to do with backpacking. One article was about hunting wolves in Alaska. Midway through the magazine, I had to stop and look at the cover again to make sure I didn't accidentally pick up a National Geographic magazine. I have been pretty disappointed by their last couple of magazines. I feel like they let me down.

ki0eh
01-28-2009, 12:13
Whenever I order anything the e-mail I enter is (say) [email protected] and I only check that one through webmail when I know I'm ordering stuff. Or, when I have time to kill by hitting pages of delete. :)

Lone Wolf
01-28-2009, 12:14
That didn't tick me off as much as the backpacker magazine a few months ago. Neither of the two major articles had anything to do with backpacking. One article was about hunting wolves in Alaska. Midway through the magazine, I had to stop and look at the cover again to make sure I didn't accidentally pick up a National Geographic magazine. I have been pretty disappointed by their last couple of magazines. I feel like they let me down.

kinda like the ATC doing a main article in their mag about horsepacking in the Grayson Highlands

fehchet
01-28-2009, 12:24
Backpacker magazine does the ebb and flow for sure. I stopped getting it.

As for unsolicited emails, they all go to spam. Now my email account seldom gets any crap.

Life on the Internet.

leeki pole
01-28-2009, 12:28
kinda like the ATC doing a main article in their mag about horsepacking in the Grayson Highlands
I still send them a donation every year, but since they went to their new "format" I don't want their mag or membership anymore. Sold out.

Dances with Mice
01-28-2009, 13:52
I subscribe to different magazines in the names of our family pets. That makes it fairly easy to track where junk mail originates.

Our dog used to subscribe to "Money" magazine. He got a pre-approved credit card application. I filled it out fairly honestly and sent it back (...I put his age in dog years, I figured that was fair; occupation as security guard; he owned his own house and I estimated an income including full board and medical benefits). No bank account or SSN though and a pawprint for his signature.

Somehow they disapproved his preapproved application.

Jack Tarlin
01-28-2009, 13:58
Good idea, DWM. Whenever I sign up for a supermarket discount card, I use the name Fabyan J. Hensley, who happens to be Miss Janet's dog.

Sometimes he gets more mail than she does, and some of it is pretty damned amusing.

Newb
01-28-2009, 13:58
Backpacker Magazine should be called "Yuppy Outdoors"

RedneckRye
01-28-2009, 14:01
http://catalogchoice.com/

Kind of like a "no call" list for junk mail and catalogs.

I've had a gmail.com e-mail for 4 years and have had MAYBE 10 junk e-mails come thru to my regular account. They do an great job os sending spam to a separate folder.

dradius
01-28-2009, 14:34
good to see I'm not the only one who uses my dog's name for stuff :) and I agree with the main story on the wolves, etc. it also seems like a large portion is geared towards climbing mountains, which i couldn't care less about. i paid $5 or so for my initial subscription, and probably won't renew it.

btw Capt Chaos, your name and full address is included in that post. maybe you don't care, but just making sure you realize it.

Wags
01-28-2009, 14:35
agreed. i rarely get spam through gmail

OldStormcrow
01-28-2009, 17:19
Backpacker Magazine should be called "Yuppy Outdoors"

Backpacking magazine already sucks bad enough without them selling your info.....

RockStar
01-28-2009, 18:48
Good idea, DWM. Whenever I sign up for a supermarket discount card, I use the name Fabyan J. Hensley, who happens to be Miss Janet's dog.

Sometimes he gets more mail than she does, and some of it is pretty damned amusing.

SON OF A ....:eek: :rolleyes: I have all the discount cards. CRAP! :-?

garlic08
01-28-2009, 22:39
I just read Backpacker at the library once a month. That way I don't get too mad, since the whole county is helping me pay for it. I sure won't pay for my own subscription, it's not worth it.

CaptChaos
01-28-2009, 22:45
Hi dradius:

not a problem. You can look me up in the phone book here in Bowling Green, Ky anytime you want.

But thanks anyway for the info.

John

Mags
01-28-2009, 22:48
I think outdoor magazines in general are...fluffy. But, it is what people want.

I was thumbing through a copy of BACKCOUNTRY SKIER recently. The first 10 pages were ads...and one was for a fricken resort!

It ain't just Backpacker.

As with Garlic, I read it for free. In my case, at King Soopers. :)

elangomat
01-29-2009, 01:07
I got the same Woolrich spam today also. P'd me off. Last two issue of BP were really porr (IMO), time to let my subscription lapse and read the library copy.

Whiskyjo
01-29-2009, 01:17
I stopped taking Backpacking Magazine a couple of years ago because they ran and article about secret or not that well known places to camp in the South east. Of coarse two of the places my wife and I used but now they are overused trampled down mud holes.

Doctari
01-29-2009, 08:43

I stopped reading Backpacker Rag a few years ago when they did a 5 page article with: 3 or 4 Maps, GPS cords, glossy photos, etc. about hiking in the wilds of:

Wait for it.

San Fransisco! :eek:

AND, they "gushed" about it almost like a new mom & her baby. I think they even listed a few shops to stop at for coffee & stuff.

Talk about being out of touch. To me it was like Lamborghini magazine raving about a vespa scooter.

Mags
01-29-2009, 15:05
I .

Talk about being out of touch

They are not out of touch at all, they are just writing for their market:

The occasional backpacker who enjoys day hikes, other outdoor activities, has little free time strictly for outdoor activities and has a decent amount of disposable income.

It is not a magazine about backpacking anymore, but it IS a magazine for those who are the majority of BACKPACKER magazine readers. (just like TRAILRUNNER, BACKCOUNTRY SKIER and other outdoor rags).

Anyway, just acknowledge that magazine's focus has changed and move on. :)

garlic08
01-29-2009, 15:35
Anyway, just acknowledge that magazine's focus has changed and move on. :)

I say we boycott! All long distance hikers, stop buying this magazine! Then they'll notice!

The dozens of subscriptions lost will bring them to their knees, for sure!:rolleyes:

dradius
01-29-2009, 15:55
from the back page of the January issue:

The Average Subscriber
Male, 46, with 20+ years of outdoor experience and the following gear loyalties:
Tent: REI
Pack: Gregory
Sleeping bag: the North face
Snowshoes: msr
boots: Merrell
sunglasses: oakley
trekking poles: leki
annual gear spending: $500-$749

Mags
01-29-2009, 16:09
I say we boycott! All long distance hikers, stop buying this magazine! Then they'll notice!

The dozens of subscriptions lost will bring them to their knees, for sure!:rolleyes:

I say we complain about it in online hiker BBSs, too. :D

dradius
01-29-2009, 17:04
come on now, this is just a forum. not nearly as cool as dialing into a BBS with a 14.4k modem.

Lion King
01-29-2009, 17:08
They hack me off as well,
they use two different studies I did for articles, as well as info I gave them on filming outdoors and mentioned my name but refused to put the website in.

Bastids.

oh, and to top it off...a few years back I talked to them about doing videos on different gear and hikes and having them on their site so people could see different hikes, and they didnt like the idea, that sucked as I thought whta a great way to get paid for hiking

but then guess what????

yup. they have the very thing on their site now.

Gaiter
01-29-2009, 17:15
http://echo4.bluehornet.com/phase2/bhecho_files/images/backround_lt2.gif
Source Information for your Email Address
http://echo4.bluehornet.com/phase2/bhecho_files/images/backround_rt2.gifhttp://echo4.bluehornet.com/phase2/bhecho_files/images/t.gif
You have already been opted-in to the systemEmail Address:[email protected] Name:JOHNLast Name:KNIGHTEmail Type:not specified, defaulted to MIMEAddress:158 HOUNDS RUN DRIVECity:BOWLING GREENState:KYZIP/Postal Code:42104Home Phone:xxx-xxx-xxxxDate and time signed up:January 28, 2009 at 5:48:59 AM (PST)A description of how your email address was obtained:Your e-mail address was added to this list either through our cooperation with Backpacker Magazine or Backpacker.com.Company Contact InformationEmail Address:[email protected] Number:800-966-5372Mailing Address:Woolrich, Inc. c/o Customer Service 2 Mill Street Woolrich, PA 17779

you just hacked yourself off, anyone online can see that they don't have to be whiteblaze member to see it

Lion King
02-05-2009, 12:40
oh and now a new one, since Backpacker magazine is one of the TDs sponsers I have to wait to see which building they want to use and what nigh/dayt to get a time or building I wanted for my ADT film screening since they are holding to buildings till they decide what they want to use...damn it.

unless of course they will be suppy-ing pizza for the screening and its mine. :D

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 12:45
backpacker has no business at Trail Days. too bad "the committee" doesn't see it that way

BR360
02-05-2009, 12:57
I agree with the OP about companies selling mailing lists.

Now, while everyone has some warts and farts (including companies), there's no reason for Backpacker Magazine NOT to be at Trail Days.

Sometimes you just have to shake your head and walk away.

If the sole purpose of Trail Days is to throw a party for the 0.000421% of the population that are AT thru-hikers, then the committee needs to dis-invite everyone else.

If the purpose is to celebrate hiking, then you've got to admit people who also want to celebrate hiking, no matter their other agenda.

Unless you want to publish a list of "forbidden" and "taboo" character traits and behaviors:-?.

Sly
02-05-2009, 12:59
backpacker has no business at Trail Days.

Ah, they sponsor it. :rolleyes:

Lion King
02-05-2009, 13:00
backpacker has no business at Trail Days. too bad "the committee" doesn't see it that way

Brother, Im so with you.

Sly
02-05-2009, 13:02
Maybe Lion King productions can pony up the $5K or whatever they give the town. Toss DVD's into the air!

partinj
02-05-2009, 13:24
Backpacker Ma has turn in to yuppie mag. Use to get few years back no more all you have to look at is who has the most ads for gears and other stuff and they are the oes that get the best reviews
:eek:

Sly
02-05-2009, 13:57
All mags have ads. I like the stories, hike suggestions and photos, and don't get it for the gear reviews. If you subscribe to the American Hiking Society you get the mag for free.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 13:58
All mags have ads. I like the stories, suggestions and don't get it for the gear reviews.

kinda like Hustler

Sly
02-05-2009, 14:00
kinda like Hustler

It's been awhile since I've read a Hustler. Maybe they can sponsor Trail Days. :D

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 14:02
It's been awhile since I've read a Hustler. Maybe they can sponsor Trail Days. :D

would make more sense

Lion King
02-05-2009, 14:09

NOW Thats a Trail Days where the screenings would Rock.:welcome
:D:banana:D

Lion King
02-05-2009, 14:12
Maybe Lion King productions can pony up the $5K or whatever they give the town. Toss DVD's into the air!

Yeah, a homeless, carless, jobless guy who makes a meager living off a few DVDS a year could do that.

Trail Days worked before without them, and maybe if they would hirer a bit less Law enforcement to Chicken Hawk over everyones shoulders and tents (And like it or not, they do that and it makes MOST people uncomfortable, innocent or guilty of anything) they would save some money.

I like Damascus, I like Trail Days, I just miss the simplicity of it how it was 7 years ago...good times.

sherrill
02-05-2009, 14:15
I've done the same as Jack and DWM, registered things in pet's names, altered personal spellings, etc. Interesting to see who really abides by their privacy statements.

Another thing I do is take the pre-addressed/prepaid envelopes from the credit card offers and send it back to them empty.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 14:16
Another thing I do is take the pre-addressed/prepaid envelopes from the credit card offers and send it back to them empty.

i do that almost daily when i go to get my mail :)

mtbmatty
02-05-2009, 14:17
i'm a fairly new subscriber to backpacking and i swear that after the 3rd mag i received it came w/ a renewal notice
at this point i've gotten more solicitations for renewal than magazines

what's with that crap

if you had'nt guessed, i don't plan to renew

Sly
02-05-2009, 14:21

i do that almost daily when i go to get my mail :)

LOL... great idea. Think I'll start.

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 14:28
i wish people arent so greedy in order to make money. To that extent they sell your private information

Lyle
02-05-2009, 14:46
AHS used to include a Backpacker subscription with membership. For several years I had to argue with them to keep them from starting to send it. I don't even want to be on their mailing list.

Unfortunately, in the 70's they were a superb, niche magazine, then got bought out by a major publisher and went the "Bigger is Better" route of all major business endeavors. That's one thing I hate about our system - no products are satisfied with being a niche market, they all want to become mainstream, and destroy themselves. It happens in virtually every industry. Sometimes Capitalism is really limiting.

ki0eh
02-05-2009, 15:17
AHS used to include a Backpacker subscription with membership.

They still do, that's how I get it. I don't seem to get all the issues though. The recent one with the hot chick hanging off a cliff on the cover to illustrate a story on survival strategies somehow didn't survive until it got to my hands. :confused:

Their website forums deal respectfully with the other trails that are out there. I've gone on and even organized trips from there - just haven't felt like doing that kind of thing on here yet.