PDA

View Full Version : How Much Cash to Carry?

gonewalkabout
01-28-2009, 12:25
How much cash should I carry at any time on the Trail? I will have a ATM/Debit card and a credit card but I assume there are small general stores in some towns or at road crossing that won't take either. Aswell as towns with no banks or ATMs.

Are travelers checks of any value?

Thanks

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2009, 12:54
There's damn few places anywhere anymore that won't or don't take debit or credit cards. I haven't used traveler's checks in years. Some of the younger kids working in stores don't even know what they are anymore. A lot of small stores won't give you cash back without a fee though. If you need a cash withdrawl, the post office will give you cash back--buy a stamp, bounce your box or what have you. Ask first to make sure they have enough cash if it's a small PO. Wally World will also give you cash back when making a purchase, and many grocery and drug stores will too. I like to have at least $100 to $200 in cash at all times, with some small bills just in case I need them. Two cards are good, just in case there is a problem with one, or if the mag strip gets scratched/damaged. I also learned that it is good to have one of those use anywhere phone cards as there are places(like valleys/gaps etc) where a cell won't work but a pay phone may be available. I always keep enough change to make sure that I can make a call if I need to--some of the scalper pay phones won't even get you an operator without some change.

KG4FAM
01-28-2009, 13:01
I like to carry 50 bucks. There are some places where you need more like taking a zero at Shaw's, but you can make a quick trip to the PO to get more money there.

Many Walks
01-28-2009, 13:06
Agree with 4eyedbuzzard on all counts. When we would head out of town I'd always be sure to have up to $200 on me for waysides and emergencies. I kept the money, two cards and my ID in a ziplock in my camera pouch on my sternum strap to be sure it was safe and secure at all times. This worked really well for us.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2009, 13:12
Oh yeah... I also bring a couple of personal checks with me just in case(with telecheck lots of places will now accept out of state checks too) and also my health insurance card. Not that you asked, but I keep them all in the same place with my license, cash, CC's etc.

Slo-go'en
01-28-2009, 13:39
The last time I tried to use Travelers checks on the trail, they weren't well received in most places. Now I use a check card but have cash for hostels, some don't do plastic and all perfer cash. I always have a 50 or 100 dollar bill stashed in my wallet (which I try to forget is there) "just in case" and has gotten me out of a jam more than once.

So, always have some cash on you. 50 to 100 is usually more than enough. Be a little carefull of the cash back deal, sometimes the fees can be hefty, though sometimes you have no other option.

Try not to leave town with too much loose change in your pocket. I once saw a hiker in the Gorham PO who must of had 2 pound of change in a zip lock!

Jack Tarlin
01-28-2009, 14:21
All good advice.

Definitely have some cash on you at all times. While most Trail towns have plenty of banks and ATM's, some don't. I was in Hot Springs once when the town's ONE ATM stoped working. (Actually, it worked fine, but there were som many hikers in town that it ran out of money!) I've also seen or heard about hikers whose bank card got eaten by a machine, leaving them card-less as well as penniless. And cards can get lost, too, especiallynew ones being mailed to you.

For all sorts of reasons, always try and keep some cash on hand, at least a hundred bucks or so and probably more.

Blissful
01-28-2009, 14:34
If you bring cash, might want to stow it in different areas. I carried $100 for 2 people. No travelers checks. As for personal checks, it's rare businesses will take out of state checks and many aren't taking them at all. I wouldn't bother with them personally. Debit card is the way to go with credit card as a back up.

Also, make sure you have a back up debit card on the homefront that someone can mail you in a pinch. The magnetic strip does break down.

peakbagger
01-29-2009, 09:38
It may have changed recently, but a few years ago, ATM's were availlable in most trail towns, but they typically were private ATM's that charged hefty fees no matter how much you withdrew and a more than a few I ran into limited how much you could take out to a low amount. If you didnt mind going to a nearby larger town, bank ATMs were availlable without these limitations, but a typical thruhiker would probably not use that option.

JAK
01-29-2009, 09:56
Credit Card companies don't like it but a nice trick on a long trip is to put a positive balance on your credit card before you go. Sometimes that is cheaper and more convenient than using Debit, but its good to carry both. The other thing I like to do is have a very low limit on my credit card, mostly for the piece of mind. That can be a battle also with the credit card companies, as they often like to raise my limit higher than I would like it, and will do it without asking. I don't think they should be able to do this since I am carrying the risk if the card is stolen or in these days of internet and identity theft etc. I don't like the limit to be higher than I can pay off in one month. I understand they have to make money to offer the service, but I don't think its right that they can change the terms of service with so little notice. Rant over.

DavidNH
01-29-2009, 10:16
Carry an ATM card AND a credit card. Some cash as well is probably a good idea though no need to have over 50 dollars cash I don't think.

Jack T makes a good point. There will probably be at least one ATM machine in any town you go through but it may not be working or it could eat your card. So just carrying an ATM card is not enough.

My ATM card got eaten at a machine in Robbinsville, NC. I was finally able to get an advance with my credit card. Without the CC I'd have been in deep trouble.

The vast majority of stores and lodgings will take credit cards. Especially the further north you go.

DavidNH

Sly
01-29-2009, 10:22
At ATM's where I know I'll be paying a fee I usually draw the max, or $300. If you're not getting money back, it's crazy to pay for fees only drawing $50 or $100 at a time.

Another tip, if you keep your ID and money in your pack while you're hiking, make sure to retrieve it as soon as you hit the road to hitch into town. If for some reason you get separated from your pack, at least you have those.

I'd rather pay cash in town then have my CC number all over the place.

JAK
01-29-2009, 11:03
I agree with Sly that when I pay a fee I like to make it worth my while.
I would want to take out at least 100 times the fee, to keep such costs under 1%.

What are the typical debit card fees on the AT?

I agree with him also about CC numbers, but a card with a $1000 wouldn't be so bad, if they will let you have a limit that low. I think it's just crazy having a limit of $10,000 and even crazier the way they push it on you. That scares the heck out of me especially with all the internet fraud and identity theft and so forth. I know there is supposed to be insurance and stuff, but I wouldn't want it tested. I think of a credit card limit of being like cash in that you need to be prepared to get mugged, so you need to take precautions to prevent that, but also not carry any more than you are prepared to lose, especially considering it might be money you don't even have yet. I would leave my credit card home unless it had a really really low limit, and they couldn't raise it on me. It really pisses me off when they do that. I cut it up and canceled it last time they did that to make my point. I might be going just cash and debit from now on.

JAK
01-29-2009, 11:05
Trouble is you need a credit card for renting cars and staying in motels.
There should be a law that prevents them from raising your limit when you don't want it.

fiddlehead
01-29-2009, 11:11
Cash works for me.
I had travellers checks get wet and the word VOID came out on them. Had lots of trouble getting that straightened out and was without funds for about a week.
I never went back.
Cash on hand. Everybody takes it.

JAK
01-29-2009, 11:18
I guess another advantage of spending less money is you don't have to carry as much. :)