PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hyperflow Review

Powder River
01-28-2009, 15:31
http://walkingnorth.wordpress.com/gear-review-msr-hyperflow/

Roots
01-28-2009, 15:52
Hey Powder River!!! Hope you are doing well. :sun

I, too, got one of these and had the same exact review of it as you. Hopefully MSR will work on it. I do think it could be a great filter if they ever get all the 'kinks' worked out!

Tinker
01-28-2009, 16:12
Looks like more MSR HYPE.
Back to the drawing board.........

slow
01-29-2009, 00:50
Like MB with the G string...how long will it last.:D

kytrailman
01-29-2009, 10:06
Make your own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frick Frack
01-29-2009, 10:16
Thanks for the review. We carried a MiniWorks (which has served me well for almost 10 years!) but I was considering a HyperFlow to save a little weight, space & time pumping. The very few people I saw using them, with the exception of 1 or 2, had the same thing to say as you about it. Hopefully they have it figured out by the time we are able to do the PCT.

Chicken Feathers
02-04-2009, 11:29
Looks like more MSR HYPE.
Back to the drawing board.........
Tinker I bought on at REI and used it out West filtered water from fast flowing river and it started to get hard to pump after 4 liters backflushed but nothing helped by the second day it would not filter. I returned mine. I would wait until MSR did more research and testing before I bought one. They filter water fast and are compact give MSR credit for that but filteringdoes not work. I wonder how long those people that are not having trouble now will start having trouble? Filters cost to much to replace it every month or so.:-?:-?

yappy
02-04-2009, 11:59
I think i will stick with my pur for awhile longer. It has never given me any problems.. yet.

sbennett
02-04-2009, 12:27
the hyperflow hypersucks

Suttree
02-04-2009, 20:31
Strangely enough, mine worked just fine. Perhaps I got a lucky filter :)

I purchased my Hyperflow from MEC Toronto and used it on on two fall trips - 17 days total - in Northern Ontario. I filtered about 4L/day and flushed every second day. Water was from small lakes for the most part.

Pumping air through the filter immediately prior to backflushing (I did this a few times by accident before disassembly) seemed to make things much more difficult; instead of a full chamber of water, the vacuum would draw only a trickle. My "folk-physics" theory is that the filter requires a column of water through the filter in order for the (weak) vacuum to do its job - kind of like sap through a tree. Whatever the explanation, I had no problems after the first day.

I am debating, however, if I want to take it for my March thru - what a pain if it conks out after a few weeks

-Suttree

mtnkngxt
02-05-2009, 08:56
Anyone who doesn't want their hypersucks are more than welcome to send them to me.

sbennett
02-05-2009, 11:11
Anyone who doesn't want their hypersucks are more than welcome to send them to me.

That's funny and hypersuck should be the new name of this thing.

On another note, it seems that all the people that have success with this filter have to baby it along quite a lot. Is all that work really worth it for saving 3-4 ounces over another filter? Is all that work really worth it for pumping water just a tiny bit faster?

Why don't more people use the gravity filters (like the platypus version)? They claim to filter water really fast and with no effort...is there something I'm missing?

kytrailman
02-05-2009, 13:27
No sbennet- ur not missing anything. They do hypersuck --ALOT!!(IMO) Everyone likes something different though. I made my own using the SP140 Sawyer filter, and it works flawlessly. Everyone on the trail last year loved it. We named it the Dip-N-Sip. It is super light, compact, and is effortless to use. The flow rate is awesome and you can beat it to death and it will still keep on working. I built my entire set-up for around 60 bucks and will never go back to anything else( unless the situatin calls for chems)

Berserker
02-05-2009, 13:41
Good review. I have a Hyperflow and have run into the same issues. I posted my thoughts concerns in a couple of the threads on this filter last year. I have gone back to my Sweetwater.

MSR - Cp
02-05-2009, 18:59
I’m the MSR Brand Manager and am posting to let you know that we have identified a flow performance issue with some of the hollow fiber filter cartridges contained in MSR HyperFlow microfilters currently on the market. The performance issue DOES NOT effect the product’s ability to filter safe drinking water but can be frustrating as the flow rate of the filter may not perform to product specifications. The issue has been rectified and all filter cartridges currently in production for the MSR HyperFlow microfilter perform to flow specifications.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
It is our goal to provide you with the most innovative and reliable outdoor gear available when you need it most. You can be confident in the efficacy of the hollow fiber filter technology, but if you are experiencing a less-than-expected flow rate right out of the box or after back flushing, we want to know. Please contact our Customer Service Department at Cascade Designs, Inc. by calling 1.800.531.9531, and we will send you a valid replacement filter element at no charge for any unit purchased prior to September 15, 2008. Please have your filter element handy as we will ask for the serial number for our records.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Please also check www.msrgear.com (http://www.msrgear.com/) for improved MSR HyperFlow microfilter instructions and an instructional video on proper back flushing of the unit.

Grumpy
02-05-2009, 20:04
I am leaving in just over two weeks and this is perfect timing and what I call great customer service. MSR has kept me as a customer due to this posting. Thanks

handlebar
02-06-2009, 19:17
It was very painless to get my cartridges replaced: both the one in the filter and the spare. Good to see them standing behind the product. This is consistent with their position on my sweetwater filter which they replaced after the O-ring wore out on the PCT.

Berserker
02-10-2009, 13:52
I’m the MSR Brand Manager and am posting to let you know that we have identified a flow performance issue with some of the hollow fiber filter cartridges...

Thanks for posting. I had concluded that my Hyperflow was an experiment gone awry (as in I shouldn't have bought it). I called, and a new cartridge is being sent out. I appreciate MSR's responsive customer service. I will post my thoughts after trying the filter out again in the field.

Berserker
05-26-2009, 12:45
Thanks for posting. I had concluded that my Hyperflow was an experiment gone awry (as in I shouldn't have bought it). I called, and a new cartridge is being sent out. I appreciate MSR's responsive customer service. I will post my thoughts after trying the filter out again in the field.
I got back a few days ago from a 7 day trip with the Hyperflow. As indicated in my previous post I called MSR and got my defective filter cartridge replaced. I am happy to say the the filter now works as advertised. It's easy to pump, backflushes properly, and will fill up a 1 liter platy in about 22 pumps. I want to thank the MSR rep again for posting about this issue.

JuiceBox
05-31-2009, 01:45
I really love MSR products, I had really high hopes for this filter. This is unfortunate.

hikingshoes
01-12-2010, 17:01
I had to call MSR about my filter as well.i had no problem with MSR replacing my filter,so will see how the new filter will work.HS

Safari
07-17-2010, 00:07
The first piece of outdoor equipment I have cheerfully, intentionally destroyed... hypersucks...:mad:

10-K
07-17-2010, 07:17
It's the only piece of gear I have no qualms about saying negative things...

I try to find at least one positive to say about gear/people/etc but the Hyperflow is garbage.

RayBan
01-05-2011, 21:47
It's the only piece of gear I have no qualms about saying negative things...

I try to find at least one positive to say about gear/people/etc but the Hyperflow is garbage.

My own experience with the Hyperworks has been extremely positive- it's performed flawlessly since I bought it this past spring.

One thing I made certain to do was backflush after no more than about 20-25L (the recommendation is 8L but I found that uncessary). The other thing I did was to make certain that I had the most recent replacement filter from MSR (the pre-2010 filters were notorious for clogging).

mweinstone
01-06-2011, 21:10
my hyperflow works great, never needs backflushing and does what its supposed to. i never pump from anything but my cookpot. mine has hundreds of miles and never saw a spek of dirt in its life. i own every msr filter they make. all of mine are in mint condish. the secret to filters is useing them right. total dissasembly and washing followed by several weeks left dissasembled in a salad bowel to ensure no moisture before reassembly after a long trek is good. and going down to a spring with the hyperflow and your waterbag or bottle to get water without bringing your cookpot for a setteling basin to pump from is bad. being unfamiliar with any single troubleshooting method or any single bit of its assembly is trouble. needing to look at the instructions to reassemble, dissasemble, purge or use or store is ill advised. ive been with msr since they invented water. no one speaks bad of my gear boys and lives.lol.shhhhhhh!you all love your hyperflows. stop imagining filter issues. all water is safe. all filters good. lets hike shall we?lol.

mweinstone
01-06-2011, 22:34
dear msr guy, if your lurking in the backround of our discussions, hear this,...there is a hiker we love here named zelph. he owns zelph stoveworks. i know stuff. what im going to state is a truth.

if msr and zelph teamed to produce a line of msr alcohol stoves, worlds would colide. other stove makers would bow. hikers would flock.problems would be solved.fun would be had.burps would be heard.autographs would be sought.

matthewski has spoken. so shall it be.

Berserker
02-18-2011, 13:44
I got back a few days ago from a 7 day trip with the Hyperflow. As indicated in my previous post I called MSR and got my defective filter cartridge replaced. I am happy to say the the filter now works as advertised. It's easy to pump, backflushes properly, and will fill up a 1 liter platy in about 22 pumps. I want to thank the MSR rep again for posting about this issue.
Alright, almost 2 years later, and I have finally given up on this thing. Shortly after the trip in the post I quoted above it got hard to pump again. Then I got the cartridge replaced again...then it got hard to pump again a few trips later. The best thing I have found that really documents this issue well is an article located here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/msr_hyperflow_modified_cartridge_review.html (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/msr_hyperflow_modified_cartridge_review.html). I also posted my feedback about the filter in the companion thread to that article if you want to read about my issues in more detail.

All I have to say is that every piece of gear I have owned from MSR been good and solid. This is the one exception. It's a good technology in theory, but it just doesn't work in the real world. Despite the negative review, I do want to note that the MSR customer service was very good.

10-K
02-18-2011, 20:42
Despite the negative review, I do want to note that the MSR customer service was very good.

Yep, customer service was good.... the pump is on my gear shelf where it will stay forever - unless someone wants to buy it for $50 and put a new filter in it.. :)

TFOS
03-19-2011, 20:19
Thanks for the updates. I'm really disappointed to here it, though. I have a miniworks now and was hoping to swap it our for something lighter (and non-chemical, I hate the taste of drop and tablets) so I had high hopes for the Hyperflow. Guess I'll have to keep looking. :-(

sheepdog
03-19-2011, 20:23
Thanks for the updates. I'm really disappointed to here it, though. I have a miniworks now and was hoping to swap it our for something lighter (and non-chemical, I hate the taste of drop and tablets) so I had high hopes for the Hyperflow. Guess I'll have to keep looking. :-(
look at the Steri-pen

Roots
03-19-2011, 20:24

Katadyn Hiker Pro is the best filter I have seen and used. Worth every ounce.

88BlueGT
04-11-2011, 16:34
You guys have me really nervous after reading this thread. I know that the Hyperflow got bad reviews but I decided to purchase it anyway to find out for myself. All I can say is that I have used it on one trip and it was AMAZING. Used it at home just messing around and it worked flawlessly there too. Maybe I need to give it some time to break or something, hope not though. So good so far.

Praha4
04-11-2011, 18:00
ditch the "overhyped" MSR Hyperflow, they clog up too fast, not a piece of gear a hiker needs.

I've used the MSR Miniworks and still say its the best pump filter on the market. The ceramic cartridge is easy to clean in the field, the filter is virtually unbreakable and gives good clean water. Plus the Mini works has been tested by the US Marine Corps and approved for use by Marine Recon teams.

but I still prefer Aquamira, easier than any filter

hikingshoes
04-12-2011, 14:59
I have MSR Hyperflow, MSR Miniworks and I like them both. On my two section hikes i've use the MSR Hyperflow had no problems at all. I back flush after my 2-3 use,I know thats over kill, but it hasnt cloged up any with me. I did replace the filter that came with it. MSR send it free. I've been looking at those Aquamira drops.HS