PDA

View Full Version : Vest

GeneralLee10
01-28-2009, 16:39
I have been looking at two vest one is MontBell UL and the other is WM Flash vest. I like the WM Flash it has a Lil more bells than the MontBell UL and weighs less plus Flash has 850fill when the UL has 800fill if you where to get one of them which one would you go with. Or do you have of of them now if so how do you like it? Thank You

Hoop
01-28-2009, 18:52
Haven't owned both, so can't suggest which is better. I have the WM. Has pockets, high collar; made in USA; a real nice vest. Montbells run kinda small on size, I think.

Oops...I have a "Flight" vest. The "Flash" is the ultra-lite version, no pockets or collar.

bigcranky
01-28-2009, 21:28
I have the Montbell snap-collar pullover vest. It has a very low cut collar so it doesn't add another layer of bulk around your neck (what with all your other layers.) It's very light, fairly warm considering the weight, and works well over a base layer and under a warm layer like a fleece sweater or a wind shirt.

Rcarver
01-28-2009, 21:33
I have both. I prefer the flash for a lite weight layer. For a little more weight, check out the flash jacket.

Blissful
01-28-2009, 21:45
Hubby likes his patagonia micropuff vest very much and weighs very little. Got it off e-bay cheap a few years back (one of the few e-bays auctions that went well for me).

bigcranky
01-29-2009, 08:42
i can't imagine forking the money to WM or montbell for 1.5 ounces of down in some micro nylon. if you are going to get an insulating layer, it may as well have some bang to it.

Well, with Montbell you keep an eye on their clearance web site. Takes away much of the sting.

flemdawg1
01-29-2009, 12:44
DW bought me a Lands End 550 fill down vest for $19 for Christmas. For 1/6 the cost of the expensive ones, I'll risk it.

GeneralLee10
01-30-2009, 11:32
I have been told from my Grandfather you get what you pay for and if you do not have the cash for it you do not need it. I look at the best of items and go the second in line the main thing here is space and I don't care for the sleeves. I have a Woolrich vest now that I have had for several years and works good for the extra warmth. It is for me to big to pack and can be a little bit lighter (size&weight). Not to be rude, but I did not ask if I care to spend that much money. Just asked if you where to get one of them which one would you go with. Or do you have one of them now if so how do you like it? For the ones that did so I Thank You:D for doing so. I see on this site that most every time someone ask something there will always be one there to not talk about what you asked. Why... I ask why:-?, please don't be offended but it does not help when you fine folks do such things.

flemdawg1
01-30-2009, 11:39
Sorry, I thought it was a more general dicussion of "VEST", not specifically "WM vs Montbell and everyone else take a hike". :rolleyes

GeneralLee10
01-30-2009, 11:52
Sorry, I thought it was a more general dicussion of "VEST", not specifically "WM vs Montbell and everyone else take a hike". :rolleyes

I am sorry, I did not intend to upset you or anyone with what I said if I did again I am sorry.

verber
02-08-2009, 01:42
I have been looking at two vest one is MontBell UL and the other is WM Flash vest. I like the WM Flash it has a Lil more bells than the MontBell UL and weighs less plus Flash has 850fill when the UL has 800fill if you where to get one of them which one would you go with. Or do you have of of them now if so how do you like it? Thank You

I have used both Vests. They are both perfectly find. I would suggest not getting too hung up on the weight difference given how little difference there really is between the Montbell UL and the Flash. Advantages of the Flash is that it has more loft, drys a bit quick. Advantage to the MB UL is that it's more wind/downproof and that it has a collar to seam in the warmth. What other clothing is in my system effects which own seems warmer. Flash + PolarBuff seems a bit warmer than MB UL + PolarBuff, but the MB UL seems warmer if I don't have something that is insulating my neck.

Personally, I have found the Flash, MB UL, and MB Thermawrap just about perfect for 3 season trips. Some people like a bit more warmth.

--Mark

Jayboflavin04
02-08-2009, 01:50
Really nice, extemely light! would like to have either the vest or jacket as a insulating layer! I would hightly recommend trying it on first or buying from a place that has good return/exchange policy, and buy at least one size bigger.

Miner
02-11-2009, 01:02
I looked at both and ended up with the WM Flash vest. The unnoticable weight difference drove me that route. However, looking back, the money difference wasn't worth it. I could find the Montbell snap vest for $69 in December (regularly found at $99) while I only was able to get a 15% discount off the Flash Vest.

The Flash vest is a nice piece of work, but I suspect I would have also liked the Montbell product since I like their jacket that I own. I have the Montbell Inner down jacket and I find it high quality and warm for its weight. Being Japanese, they size small so unless you are at the lower end of their sizing, size up. WM definitely sizes bigger then Montbell as I almost wish I had bought the smaller size since I was in between sizes. Thought it really depends on how much layering you are planning on doing underneath it.

dloome
02-11-2009, 19:44
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0047902923008a&navCount=1&podId=0047902923008&parentId=cat601801&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21082-cat601801&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601801&hasJS=true

I use this one- though an older version with snap buttons instead of a zipper. Size small runs big and weighs about 7-8 oz. when you cut the useless stuff off. Plenty light and compact for backpacking, very puffy and warm, and the price is right. I used to have a delicate, uberlight WM vest that this replaced when I tore the other one to pieces. I can't tell the difference in my pack, but certainly can in my wallet...

Wags
02-11-2009, 21:32
bleach that's a crazy price for a 600 fill down vest