PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the new Atmos in person yet?

Powder River
01-28-2009, 18:37
I see that Osprey updated the Atmos line, notably with a thinner air space on the back, taking only about half the space as the previous model.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TRGX7_no9Y

Looks pretty awesome. I hiked with an 06 model, and my biggest complaint was the room taken up by the air pocket, which they seem to have fixed.

skinewmexico
01-28-2009, 18:48
No, but I'm really impressed with how thin the air space is on the back of my new Exos 58. I've been trying to figure out the different niche the Exos and Atmos are targeting.

Powder River
01-28-2009, 18:51
How do you like the Exos? I think for me it comes down to those two, however I might lean towards the atmos for times when I need to carry LOTS of food. Have you had the Exos fully loaded yet?

skinewmexico
01-28-2009, 19:36
Nope, I was all excited to get it, and it's been sitting in the garage since I got it. I need to load it up. Looks too big right now.

Ramble~On
01-29-2009, 01:00
Did they add more padding to the straps ?

Will a bladder still fit in the pocket behind the mesh or have they reduced its size too much to accept a bladder?

What the hell were they thinking (or were they thinking) when they came out with these colors.

" Putrid Puke Green ", " Obnoxious Orange" & "Stealthy Ninja, Darth Vader"

"Green Apple" is actually the color hue you'd take on after eatting 50 crab apples.
"Aspen Gold" is what they were smoking when they decided to go with this color.
"Graphite Grey" is a cross between a ninja outfit and Darth Vader

Come on Osprey...what were you thinking ?

~ I was really wanting to get one but with the colors they offer I'm thinking about going with another brand or just using a pack I already have.

skinewmexico
01-29-2009, 01:23
I agree about the colors. Took me a while to give in and buy one close to the colors of that evil university in Austin.

JF2CBR
01-29-2009, 07:00
Well I haven't been looking for them, but I know at work (REI DC) we have about 10 pallets of osprey that just came in yesterday. I'll try to take a look today and see what I can find.

mark schofield
01-29-2009, 18:37
I found that putting a hydration pack on the outside behind the mesh worked really well for me. I put all my smaller stuff like first aid, toilet and cleaning, incedentials like Deet, twine, batteries, ect., in the inside hydration sleeve. Heavier cooking stuff and food in the separate sleepng bag compartment (Atmos 65) helped me with the weight distribution. I also wonder if thee's enough room now for the bladder outside the pack. Mark S

D'Artagnan
01-30-2009, 12:14
I've used a bladder on my Atmos 50 and the only MINOR complaint I have is that the water tends to assume the temperature of my body after only a short while. Which is to say it gets hotter than I prefer to drink it. It's still my go-to pack and I love everything else about it.

Ramble~On
01-30-2009, 13:26
I've used a bladder on my Atmos 50 and the only MINOR complaint I have is that the water tends to assume the temperature of my body after only a short while. Which is to say it gets hotter than I prefer to drink it. It's still my go-to pack and I love everything else about it.

Are you talking about the new 2009 model ?

D'Artagnan
01-30-2009, 15:56
Are you talking about the new 2009 model ?

No, I'm sorry. I guess that was a reasonable assumption given my response but mine is the 2006/2007 model.

I wonder, though, given that the space is actually less, whether it would compound the problem.

It's a great looking pack anyway. I hope I can take a look at one up close soon.

RITBlake
01-30-2009, 16:31
Osprey awesome packs, but recently, HORRIBLE color selections

RITBlake
01-30-2009, 16:36
Yummmy
http://www.ospreypacks.com/images_products/158_347_xl.jpg

KG4FAM
01-30-2009, 16:42
I've used a bladder on my Atmos 50 and the only MINOR complaint I have is that the water tends to assume the temperature of my body after only a short while. Which is to say it gets hotter than I prefer to drink it. It's still my go-to pack and I love everything else about it.That would be a major problem for me. One of the things I look forward to on backpacking trips is drinking cold spring water. If it is not a big problem then good for you.

RITBlake
01-30-2009, 19:19
Gotta make a run to REI to demo this pack.

Powder River
01-30-2009, 20:46
I'm actually excited about the colors. I've personally been waiting for someone to come out with a "darth vader" color pack. I mean, I wish they all came in black. The grey and black looks pretty sweet, and I think all three new colors are way better than the red or blue of 08.

RITBlake
01-30-2009, 21:43
I think all three new colors are way better than the red or blue of 08.

oh ya, I agree. the 08 colors were a mess

Powder River
02-19-2009, 15:50
Just ordered an '09 Atmos for $135 shipped! :banana

http://www.altrec.com/osprey-packs/atmos-50-backpack

Use code "BURN20" at checkout for an extra 20% off! :D:D:D