PDA

View Full Version : Economy

cooter
01-28-2009, 19:10
Hey,
How do you all think the economy will affect the trail this year? I'm thru-hiking in Feb. and I'm wondering if more or less people will be on the trail and whether hotels, restraunts, and outfitters will have more deals?

Screech
01-28-2009, 19:11
There will be more people on the trail.

It will not be cheaper.

Bearpaw
01-28-2009, 19:28
It will not be cheaper.

Except at Ron Haven's Budget Inn (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45774&highlight=budget+inn) in Franklin, NC, because Ron is THE MAN!!:banana

Seriously, if you bypass Franklin, you are missing the most hiker-friendly motel on the whole AT corridor.

daddytwosticks
01-28-2009, 20:18
Possibly less establishments still in business compared to past years. Although my small burg is not a trail town (Murphy, NC), small towns in the south will be suffering more this year due to business failures. I assume this may be the case up and down the trail. :(

Blissful
01-28-2009, 20:18
Except at Ron Haven's Budget Inn (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45774&highlight=budget+inn) in Franklin, NC, because Ron is THE MAN!!:banana

Seriously, if you bypass Franklin, you are missing the most hiker-friendly motel on the whole AT corridor.

Agreed.

Blissful
01-28-2009, 20:19
I think there may be more out. Those who have lost jobs and nothing else to do right now or maybe want to take time to sort out life.

TrippinBTM
01-28-2009, 20:39
Hard to say. Unemployed gives you time, but maybe not the money. But I bet small towns will be hurting, and thus not giving things away. If anything, prices will go up, methinks. Or they're hurting so bad, they drop prices so much to get at least some business.

Heh, well, I guess I'm not much help.

daddytwosticks
01-28-2009, 20:46
TrippinBTM, you make a good point...our economy and nation is beginning to enter uncharted waters and nobody can predict or figure this mess out!

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2009, 20:57
I don't think it will have big effect on thru-hiking numbers. Thru-hikers are obsessive nutcases who won't let a little thing like a catastropic global economic meltdown ruin their hike. [The "obsessive nutcase" comment meant in good fun. Mostly... There is some truth to it though... :D]

I think you'll see less section and vacation hikers. A little downturn usually increases camping, park visits, etc. But this is so bad many people won't have the money to hike. Hiking's is relatively cheap provided you already have equipmment, but even so transportation, lodging along the way, food, etc is more than many can afford to spend right now.

TrippinBTM
01-28-2009, 21:13
I think you'll see less section and vacation hikers. A little downturn usually increases camping, park visits, etc. But this is so bad many people won't have the money to hike. Hiking's is relatively cheap provided you already have equipmment, but even so transportation, lodging along the way, food, etc is more than many can afford to spend right now.

Especially since most people have house payments/rent, car payments, and credit card debt. Debt, you know, that thing that got us into this whole mess :rolleyes:

Good point about the sectioners/vacationers.

johnnybgood
01-28-2009, 21:26
TrippinBTM, you make a good point...our economy and nation is beginning to enter uncharted waters and nobody can predict or figure this mess out!
So true ! The way that I see it -, came in this life with nothing and when I go takin' most of it with me.

slow
01-28-2009, 22:38

Did he lower the price?

volleypc
01-28-2009, 22:41
Did he lower the price?

Yes, he had a another post saying that since gas prices have gone down he will not have to charge as much to cover the shuttles.

Captain Blue
01-28-2009, 22:55
My prediction is for a noticeable drop off in thru hikers and section hikers for 2009. I think hiker numbers are more influenced by the economy than people realize. My observation is not based on any hard evidence. Just gut feel.

slow
01-28-2009, 23:09
You will see more young,due to bills when away.

hopefulhiker
01-28-2009, 23:09
Thru Hiking is an extended vacation.. One of the hardest parts of the whole thing is arranging the logistics of taking that much time of your regular life. With the economy the way it is the logistics of regular life are getting harder even if you are around to deal with them.. I expect that some will still be driven to the trail because of life transitions, like job loss. divorce and other stuff..

slow
01-28-2009, 23:13
Yes, he had a another post saying that since gas prices have gone down he will not have to charge as much to cover the shuttles.

Is that for a room also?

Cool AT Breeze
01-28-2009, 23:16
Is that for a room also?
Yes.

slow
01-28-2009, 23:21
Yes.

That is a good MAN.:)

Gentle Ben
01-28-2009, 23:31
The economy is one of my reason for leaving on a thru hike this year. I lost my job 3 days before Thanksgiving and felt I would make something positive out of it. I am leaving on the 15th or 22nd of February.

hopefulhiker
01-29-2009, 23:01
They are talking about restricting the Post Office delivery days. I wonder how this would affect mail drops on a thu hike

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D960EHS80.htm?campaign_id=rss_daily

Slo-go'en
01-29-2009, 23:27
They are talking about restricting the Post Office delivery days. I wonder how this would affect mail drops on a thu hike

No more mad dashes to try and get to the PO by noon Saturday!

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2009, 23:51
Not only that, but there is also a lot of pressure being brought from postal management to actually cut the manned hours of operation at the smaller level 9, 11, and some 13 post offices (or close some of them completely) and consolidate some of them with a larger nearby office. Level 9 and 11 offices are small, 1 person offices that don't administrate their own carrier route. Level 13's may or may not have a route attached to them, so some may be safe, some not. What would likely happen is that a carrier would put up the mail in the PO boxes in the am, and a clerk would open the office for 4 hours a day or so. Box access when the clerk isn't there might be by having someone unlock/lockup in the am and pm and a stamp machine would be the only method of purchasing stamps when the part-time clerk isn't there. Mrs. Buzzard and lots of other PO workers are pretty worried about their jobs right now.:( [Don't piss 'em off right now, you know what happens when they get mad.:eek:]

This all might have an additional negative impact on hikers at some of the smaller rural PO's hikers use.

prain4u
01-30-2009, 01:04
My guess? In the end--the number of thru hikers will probably be about the same in 2009 as 2008. Some people will decide that they can't afford to take six months off for a thru hike due to the economy. However, there will probably be an equal number of people who will decide to go on a thru hike in 2009 because of the economy. (It is cheaper to live on the trail for some people). The two numbers will balance each other out.

The number of section hikers could be down. Many people with financial problems (or financial worries) will probably be cautious and decide that they don't have the time or money for a section hike "this year" (or they will "throw caution to the wind"--cancel their section hike--and go on a thru hike instead). Either way, it will cause the number of section hikers to be down in 2009. People will "Go big--or stay home".