PDA

View Full Version : Companion Field Editors Needed.

Sly
01-28-2009, 20:03
The ALDHA Thru-hikers' Companion needs two field editors to cover two missing sections.

1) North of Hanover, NH to Crawford Notch approximately 96 miles. I suppose if I can't get anyone to take the entire section, I could break this up at Glencliff about halfway through.

2) Grafton Notch to Stratton, ME approx. 79 miles

Responsibilities include:

· Field Editors are expected to visit the businesses listed in the Companion. Your visit helps to build good relations with the trail community adjacent to the trail.
· Be sure to ask for 2010 rates.

· Verify hours of operation.

· Verify telephone, address, email address, web url.

· Are maildrops accepted? For guests only? Non-guests? Are there additional fees for holding maildrops?

· Are dogs allowed? Additional Fee?

· Update the town maps.

· Contact the local maintaining club for your section of trail and inquire about any trail related changes, new shelters, trail relos. Verify that the info on direction and distance from the Trail are accurate to shelters and water sources. (Remember we use east and west from the north/south direction of the trail). Is there a privy?

· Fuel— ask what types, white gas, Esbit, Heet, denatured alcohol, canister (what type of canister), etc.

· Showers— are non-guest showers allowed? What is the fee?

· Verify the Post Office hours of operation and telephone number.

· Check to see where nearest Laundromat is located.

Although actually hiking the trail is encouraged it's not absolutely necessary if you contact the local trail club, or otherwise, verify existing data.

Sadly, field editors don't get paid but they do get a spanking new Companion each year!

If anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll sign you up.

Added: Updates due September 1

Tin Man
01-28-2009, 20:08
Two sections of the trail are missing :eek:

Sorry Sly, couldn't resist. If you ever need help in CT or NY east of the Hudson let me know.

Lion King
01-29-2009, 17:11
Dude, if I dont have to go to DC next week, Im game.

It's easy enough to hitch around if I am in Lincoln and to winter hike a day or two.

Ill keep you informed

Sly
01-29-2009, 18:35
Dude, if I dont have to go to DC next week, Im game.

It's easy enough to hitch around if I am in Lincoln and to winter hike a day or two.

Ill keep you informed

I don't need the info until September. Guess I better add that.

Jack Tarlin
01-29-2009, 19:37
I'll take from Hanover to Glencliff, but try and get someone else for further North if you can.

Sly
01-29-2009, 20:07
I'll take from Hanover to Glencliff, but try and get someone else for further North if you can.

That would be awesome Jack, thanks! It helps a lot.