PDA

View Full Version : Seeking cheap deals for new Hiking shoes

Tennessee Viking
01-28-2009, 23:53
I am currently looking at the New Balance 1500 Hikers. Mainly do to the fact that New Balances are supposed to be wonderful for foot/arch/ankle support. But at the moment, the cheapest price I can find them is around $147 at Mahonneys Outfitters in Johnson City TN. The New Balance webstore and Amazon are $150+.

Does anyone know any Tenn. retailers or good online vendors that sell New Balances Hikers any cheaper?

Or does anyone can recommend a hightop hiking shoe that has great arch and ankle support?

orangebug
01-29-2009, 00:00
The issue is always knowing that cheap doesn't equate to value.

Getting fitted by someone who knows how to fit and the available products often leads to something more expensive that an Internet site, but usually saves money in the long run. In general, you will find better service locally. You will keep local businesses open. You will learn more with your 1-1 contacts.

Of course, you will always enjoy the endless discussions of hightop boots versus trail runners. I'm a trail runner guy, even in winter. I'll need to replace my Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultras soon.

Summit
01-29-2009, 07:46
I usually start with a 'google search' of the name and model - plenty of hits, which include several of the 'best price aggregaters'. Check out at least the first two/three pages of links from the search.

Grinder
01-29-2009, 09:01
How do you handle fit of mail order (or computer order) shoes?

I bought a pair of trail runners last year. My feet seem to have widened, so I went up to size ten. The brand I got run small (apparently) and so I have bargain shoes that aren't really comfortable.

I, for one, wouldn't feel right about trying on shoes at a walk in store and then ordering on line.

Also, the odds of a pair of shoes still being in production a year later are small in this day and age.

mudhead
01-29-2009, 09:37
FWIW. I have not found NB boots to work for me since @03. Same with the trailrunners. I don't even go to the tent sale at the factory store anymore. I have used the mail order place out of CA in the past. They just are not the same.

My arch is such that I need an insert.

If those fit your feet, then the $50 extra should be worth it. Then hunt your bargain, cuz they change stuff too much.

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/search_results.asp

This place has deals on closeouts. The factory stores deal in closeouts and seconds. Some seconds are just size variations, but buyer beware.

Good luck.

lizzieGAME09
01-29-2009, 10:07
I had the same concerns about finding the best deal online but then getting a shoe that doesn't fit because sizes really do vary by brand. The recommendation I got from an REI associate was to order multiply sizes - if you can afford it, and they have a return gaurantee - and then keep the one that fits. I ended up ordering two sizes of one shoe I wanted and then having it shipped directly to the REI so I can try them one and then return the one I don't want right there.

Summit
01-29-2009, 18:46
How do you handle fit of mail order (or computer order) shoes?Probably not a good idea if you have irregular feet or orthopedic needs. For me, I guess I have typically proportioned feet and, wearing a normal size 9 1/2, have had no issues ordering 10s in several brands of shoes over the web. Haven't had to return a pair . . . YET!