PDA

View Full Version : ENO vs. HH!

JF2CBR
01-29-2009, 07:06
Ok, so heres the deal.

I'm looking to purchase either a HH or a ENO hammock system. I'm looking for the fly, bug net, and hammock.

ENO is running a special right now where I can purchase all of the above items in a "onelink" system. I can purchase this for around $65. BUT it weighs in around 72oz.

I was wondering what my options from HH would be, I can get a complete system from them for around $55. I know it's lighter than the ENO system, but the one thing I don't like is how the bug net is permanently attached, I've seen mods for this, but I'm not sure I want to go hacking up a brand new hammock.

The use for the hammock would be mostly 1-5 day backpacking trips in central PA with the occasional trip elsewhere. I would also like to be able to just hang it while car camping to relax, the ENO seems more fitting for this.

Thoughts, comments??

Appreciated, Jamie

A New Convert
01-29-2009, 08:10
i have an ENO double with a bug nut from Hammock Bliss. It is on the heavy side, and that doesn't include a fly. that said it is stupid comfortable when hung correctly. I used a structural ridgeline to set the sag so it always hung the same.

BC

Just Jeff
01-29-2009, 08:44
Lots of folks are happy with the ENO so I think you'll be comfortable in either. If you're stuck between those two brands, I'd get a used HH from whiteblaze or hammockforums.net and put the zipper mod in from 2Questions' wife, then get a MacCat tarp. But you should probably look at the Blackbird from www.warbonnetoutdoors.net (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net) for a zippered bug net, light weight, several options and what's supposed to be the most comfortable hammock for almost everyone who's tried it.

Hooch
01-29-2009, 08:54
IMO, go with the Hennessy if you want a system with all its components made by the same company. The ENO tarps are next to useless and provide exceptionally poor coverage from wind driven rain. Their SlapStraps are made from nylon and stretch like a rubber band. There is plenty of info on this over on Hammock Forums. Come on over and join up. :D

Ramble~On
01-29-2009, 10:10
I have both.

I'd go with the ENO DoubleNest...if you can figure it out, making your own bug netting is the way to go and make your own Slap Straps.
I have the Slap Straps Pro and the Guardian Bug Net. I use an Equinox 10x12 sil tarp:D plenty of room and many options for wind direction and horizontal rain.

Slap Straps....if you notice they have 3 or so anchor points..great idea but in the real world those points are never going to be exactly where you want them...somewhere in my gallery is a couple pics of some regular webbing that I sewed a loop to at one end...a simple knot and the straps adjust to be just where I want them - simple.
The Slap Straps are a great idea but the pre-positioned points aren't.

I like the ENO over HH cause you have more freedom of movement, ENO makes a nice swingin lounger chair.
DIY Straps: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18157

JF2CBR
01-29-2009, 13:27
Thanks for the insight!!

What I think I may do is purchase an ENO doublenest (or singlenest, not sure yet?) and then worry about either making, or buying (different manfuacturer) the other components. I think the ENO would be better for me because of the simple fact I can use it car camping and like RambleOn mentioned, use it as a swinging chair.

So, what are some good (light weight/durable) rain flys that havent already been mentioned? As far as straps and bug nets I'm sure I can come up with something myself. I'm pretty crafty when it comes to things like that.

Thanks for the help!!

Jamie

Hooch
01-29-2009, 13:36
IMO, good tarp options for the ENO include the OES MacCat Deluxe (http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products-maccat-tarps.html), JRB 10x11 (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/11%20x%2010%20Cat%20Tarp.htm), Speer Hammocks 8x10 (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm) and Speer Hammocks Speer Winter Tarp (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm).

Tinker
01-29-2009, 13:50
Get any silnylon tarp that's at least 10 feet at the ridgeline. Otherwise your hammock will stick out the end and wick water in a rainstorm. I use a 10x12 Equinox tarp that I bought at Campmor for the winter. I've been using my poncho on a diagonal during the summer months, but recently bought a MacCat standard tarp in spinnaker fabric.
As far as the Hennessy goes, in the summer the breezes seem to go over the top of you and not cool you too much because you lie so deeply in the hammock fabric. I'd rather have a top opening hammock (as narrow as possible for comfort) and a bug netting going over the whole thing. It's much easier to get in and out of, you can sit on the edge while still covered by the bug netting, and, of course, you don't have to use over and under quilts in the winter, just a sleeping bag that has a zipper around the foot. Feed the hammock through the bag, hang it, get in and pull the bag over you. I probably will sell my HH soon.

JF2CBR
01-30-2009, 17:44
Well I went with the ENO doublenest in orange and grey with the insect shield coating. I also picked up the PRO slap straps to see how they work for me. $35.00 + Shipping. :) I love my job!

heescha
02-18-2009, 23:54
i know it seems crazy to cut up a brand new hammock but from the way it sounds, it's totally worth it...go a head and give it a try!

zoidfu
02-19-2009, 00:10
i have an ENO double with a bug nut from Hammock Bliss. It is on the heavy side, and that doesn't include a fly. that said it is stupid comfortable when hung correctly. I used a structural ridgeline to set the sag so it always hung the same.

BC

What's a structural ridgeline?

Tinker
02-19-2009, 00:22
My winter hammock set up:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21645&catid=searchresults&searchid=21755
Just before bed I stake the ends to the ground and use a mini-biner to close up the middle of the end opening (through the two grommets).

Hooch
02-19-2009, 08:14
I also picked up the PRO slap straps to see how they work for me. $35.00 + Shipping. :) I love my job!Any and all SlapStrap products from ENO are meade from nylon and, hence, are going to stretch. Just remember, I told you so. :D

take-a-knee
02-19-2009, 09:28
What's a structural ridgeline?

A fixed-length line that runs from end to end on a hammock, some have them (Hennessy, Warbonnet), and some don't (Speer, Eno).

Tinker
02-19-2009, 10:09
Any and all SlapStrap products from ENO are meade from nylon and, hence, are going to stretch. Just remember, I told you so. :D

I made my own straps from nylon. They stretched to a certain point, then stopped stretching. Same with the 6mm perlon I use.

Tinker
02-19-2009, 10:10
A fixed-length line that runs from end to end on a hammock, some have them (Hennessy, Warbonnet), and some don't (Speer, Eno).
The intended purpose is that you will automatically set your hammock up with the "right" amount of sag.

Ramble~On
02-19-2009, 17:22
Well I went with the ENO doublenest in orange and grey with the insect shield coating. I also picked up the PRO slap straps to see how they work for me. $35.00 + Shipping. :) I love my job!

You got a deal on that!

If you want to make your own straps....take a look at spectra webbing.