PDA

View Full Version : Hammock with New Pad and New Bag

volleypc
01-29-2009, 11:16
I have used my HH for years but mainly in fairly warm weather. Even at moderate temperatures there were times that I had to add more clothes or sleep with a couple of hand warmers because I would get the chills. I love sleeping in the HH so wanted to find an econimical way to make it doable in cold weather. I ended up buying two of the blue sleeping pads from Wal-Mart and upgrading my sleeping bag to a Campmor 20 w/ a silk liner. I also purchased a lightweight tarp that provides a little more shelter than the tarp that came with the HH.

I knew it was supposed to be in the mid twenties last night so I figured it would be a great time to test it. I should mention that I was wearing the micro fleece top and bottom that I bought to sleep in while on the trail so the conditions would be simular. Long story short, after spending 30 minutes or so in the bag I was burning up. I finally ended up taking my socks off, unzipping the bag, and just sleeping on the pads. I had the bag laying on top and wrapped around my feet.

I will say that it took some time to get onto the pads and get situated. I think next time I may put the bag on before climbing in the hammock. If I had it to do over again I would probably go with a rectangular bag in lieu of the mummy just because the extra room would make it easier to get situated.

I was really concerned about using the hammock in cold weather but now I guess I am going to have to find something else to be concerned about. In case your interested, the two pads at Wal-Mart were about $14 each. The tarp at the army supply store was $14, and the campmor sleeping bag was $139 and another $50 I believe for the liner.

Red Hat
01-29-2009, 11:49
So did you get the 24 inch wide pads or the 20 inch pads? I debated about them, mostly because it seems like the 24 inch ones would be a pain to carry. Did you put one pad on top of the other or one beside the other? I am thinking about an evazote pad from Gossamer Gear... I just know my 3/4 length therma rest isn't going to do it in my hammock...

Grinder
01-29-2009, 12:15
I have a full 24 inch blue pad and a 48 inch section (might be 36 in.??). I have a zhammock type DIY hammock.

I criss-cross the pads. this gives me two layers under my torso. The edges of the cross ways piece eliminate the cold spots on the sides

I also use a DIY gearskin type pack, wherein the pads are the body/frame of the pack. Things would be kind of bulky with a conventional pack system.

Grinder

Tinker
01-29-2009, 13:06
In the winter you don't need the bug netting on the HH. Climbing in from the foot section is such a pita when using pads inside the hammock that I finally decided to give the ol' cheapo top entry hammock a try. I tried it with pads, adopted a section from a Stephenson Warmlite sleeping bag as an underquilt, and finally arrived at the conclusion that you can merely thread the hammock through any sleeping bag with a zipper around the foot, hang the hammock, climb in, and pull bag up over you. With a tarp it makes complete protection from the elements. Sasquatch took a few pictures of my winter setup and posted them on Whiteblaze.
Here's one: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21645&catid=searchresults&searchid=21175

locorogue
02-01-2009, 04:23
Why not try a survival blanket. Shed the extra lbs, save some loot. I use a military type, with ripstop nylon. i consider this an essential item. aside from the obvious warming qualities, you can use this as a shelter, water gatherer, etc. if you'd like me to expound, let me know.

volleypc
02-01-2009, 19:52
So did you get the 24 inch wide pads or the 20 inch pads? I debated about them, mostly because it seems like the 24 inch ones would be a pain to carry. Did you put one pad on top of the other or one beside the other? I am thinking about an evazote pad from Gossamer Gear... I just know my 3/4 length therma rest isn't going to do it in my hammock...

I went with the 24 inch... I think target has 27 inch pads, but we do not have a target nearby. I do overlap by about 5 inches and everything seems fine. I could prob trim the corners a bit, but it works fine the way it is. thanks again...

WILLIAM HAYES
02-01-2009, 21:53
look at the Jacks R Better setup it works for me

take-a-knee
02-01-2009, 23:24
look at the Jacks R Better setup it works for me

Roger that, the 3-season set rocks! Get the JRB hood and you'll be toasty, I can take mine to 20 degrees.