PDA

View Full Version : If you were going to hike for 2 weeks on the AT, which section would you hike?

RememberYourZen
01-29-2009, 16:27
Hey all,

just graduated college and am on the job search. I've actually applied for a few and if I get one I probably wont start for another month or so. I had initially wanted to do a month in the woods, but if I am ordered to start soon I won't be able to do that much, so I've decided to do about 2 weeks instead.

So I thought about just going to the beginning of the trail and walking for two weeks. Is there a better idea? I've done 41 miles around the grayson highlands and a good bit of the area around damascus.

any suggestions? is there a section of the trail i've got to see if I do a 2 weeker?

bigcranky
01-29-2009, 18:35
I would just go to Springer and start hiking north. Georgia and NC are great.

Jeff
01-29-2009, 18:38
Roan Highlands north of Erwin in May is fantastic.

RememberYourZen
01-29-2009, 20:08
great suggestions guys.

I think since I'm gonna be doing it soon I'll stay in the south for weather's sake.

Blissful
01-29-2009, 20:29
That's a good idea, Zen, go for it.

Kanati
01-29-2009, 20:39
Hey all,

just graduated college and am on the job search. I've actually applied for a few and if I get one I probably wont start for another month or so. I had initially wanted to do a month in the woods, but if I am ordered to start soon I won't be able to do that much, so I've decided to do about 2 weeks instead.

So I thought about just going to the beginning of the trail and walking for two weeks. Is there a better idea? I've done 41 miles around the grayson highlands and a good bit of the area around damascus.

any suggestions? is there a section of the trail i've got to see if I do a 2 weeker?

You better watch out......It's addictive. And so tuning into WB

trailfoot
01-29-2009, 21:52
I don't know what you are talking about Kanati--LOL

SGT Rock
01-29-2009, 21:53
I'd reccomend going to NOC and hiking south to Springer.

RememberYourZen
01-29-2009, 22:15
That's a good idea, Zen, go for it.

I've got a huge fever to get out there. I just might!

NOC? Why would you recommend me hiking south? Less traffic?

I was thinking I'd bypass that because I'm leaving earlier.

SGT Rock
01-29-2009, 22:36
I'd say for a few reasons -

1. You get to hike a cool section. I really like the area. You also get an idea what newbie thru-hikers are actually complaining about.

2. You can park your car at Amicolola Falls for $2 and hike back to it at your own pace instead of trying to figure out how to get picked up at your hikes end and get back to your car - or hiking to a schedule for pick up. Sort of takes the pressure off if you park your car there and get a shuttle up to NOC and then just hike back.

3. You get to meet a lot of hikers going the other way. Most hikers will be starting their thru hikes, so you can see a wide variety of hiker styles and attitudes instead of getting stuck in a pod of thu-hikers.

RememberYourZen
01-30-2009, 01:19
I'd say for a few reasons -

1. You get to hike a cool section. I really like the area. You also get an idea what newbie thru-hikers are actually complaining about.

2. You can park your car at Amicolola Falls for $2 and hike back to it at your own pace instead of trying to figure out how to get picked up at your hikes end and get back to your car - or hiking to a schedule for pick up. Sort of takes the pressure off if you park your car there and get a shuttle up to NOC and then just hike back.

3. You get to meet a lot of hikers going the other way. Most hikers will be starting their thru hikes, so you can see a wide variety of hiker styles and attitudes instead of getting stuck in a pod of thu-hikers.

Hm I'm definitely gonna look into doing that. Thanks for the advice!

Tennessee Viking
01-30-2009, 01:37
Hey all,

any suggestions? is there a section of the trail i've got to see if I do a 2 weeker?I hope you are not going for the same job I am.

I would stay pretty much with the TN/NC area that way you can return home easily for the job if called upon. You have Max Patch, Coldspring, Big Bald, Beauty Spot, Roan Highlands, and Laurel Falls.

How about start at I40 & Standing Bear Farm, and go as far as you can. Or take Damascus southbound, if you haven't done Tennessee yet.

But starting at Springer is another good suggestion either getting up around Franklin or NOC or Fontana.

RememberYourZen
01-30-2009, 01:51
I hope you are not going for the same job I am.

I would stay pretty much with the TN/NC area that way you can return home easily for the job if called upon. You have Max Patch, Coldspring, Big Bald, Beauty Spot, Roan Highlands, and Laurel Falls.

How about start at I40 & Standing Bear Farm, and go as far as you can. Or take Damascus southbound, if you haven't done Tennessee yet.

But starting at Springer is another good suggestion either getting up around Franklin or NOC or Fontana.

hahah who isn't competing for a job right now?

Damascus southbound is a good suggestion too. Alot of these are great

wrongway_08
01-30-2009, 11:20
Job market sucks now - you picked a perfect time to say screw it and just go hike. The way things are now, you may as well hike the whole trail - wont make a difference in the long run. (if you can afford it now, of course) Jobs wont pick up for another 1 - 2 years for the good stuff. Being just outta school, it will help you clear your head and learn some good skills that no amount of that high dollar college will ever be able to teach you.

But if your looking for a 2 week span, I would do:

Whites and Maine. NY is nice area also.

In the South.... .... South of SNP.

RememberYourZen
02-01-2009, 12:25
for the record, I will be doing this trip in the very near future. Is it a smart idea to hike in feb/early march?

I've got the gear to brave the cold.

any suggestions?

SGT Rock
02-01-2009, 12:47
If you are hiking the south end like I said, you can make it. I did.

Rambler
02-01-2009, 13:03
Plus, SOBO is all down hill, isn't.

Summit
02-01-2009, 17:18
I agree with 'Rock' on NOC to Springer . . . great section. I've done it three times, twice in the fall and once in mid-summer: once from Springer to NOC and twice the other way. The climb up from NOC to Wesser Bald is a kick in the pants, so don't get discouraged by it. After that, you'll get your trail legs and enjoy the rest a lot! :)

RememberYourZen
02-02-2009, 01:42
planning on going by myself.

I'm experienced, but is it a good idea?

Dogwood
02-02-2009, 13:12
I like your NOC to Springer Suggestion for all the reasons U mentioned SR.

SGT Rock
02-02-2009, 18:03
It wasn't originally my idea. I was going to hike north from Springer back in 2001 and contacted Hacksaw for a shuttle to get back to my car when I got done. He said "Why not start at NOC and go back to your car?" - it was a perfect hike plan. It's about 150 miles with the approach trail.

Chaco Taco
02-03-2009, 18:38
Glencliff- Gorham

YoungMoose
02-03-2009, 20:55
Im in new york and you do not want to hike anywhere above here. There is about 5 inches of ice and fresh snow on top of that. I would work from springer up

weary
02-04-2009, 22:19
A great idea, I wish I had thought of it.

Weary

stag3
02-04-2009, 22:37
What is NOC? Am I the only one doesn't know this?:confused:

Mercy
02-05-2009, 11:27
Nantahala Outdoor Center
http://www.noc.com/
About 135 trail mi. north of Springer

Frog
02-05-2009, 18:06
Starting at N O C makes it around 133 miles back to springer. So it depends on how many miles you want to hike each day and if you have two weeks of hiking or two weeks of hiking and getting there and back home. Starting near Winding stair Gap would cut some miles off and i would hike north to south because you will see the people coming at you. And since you have done a lot around Mt Rogers area this would be a great section to hike.

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 18:11
100 mile wilderness

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 18:11
and all thoughout maine