PDA

View Full Version : Consuming Beverage Alcohol on the Trail

prain4u
01-29-2009, 17:59
As I read the various posts, I see many references to the consumption of alcohol--either on the trail or while in town.

Personally, I have spent plenty of time with folks who are drinking alcohol. I have also spent plenty of time with people who are on hiking trips. However, I am not used to being with people who are combining those two activities.

Two questions:
1. How common is alcohol consumption on the trail and in town? (Do most AT hikers drink alcohol on a fairly regular basis? or Do a large percentage of AT hikers drink alcohol rarely or not at all? or Is the answer "somewhere in between"?)

2. When hiking the AT (and at shelters), how often do you encounter intoxicated people who are behaving in an obnoxious or abusive manner?

Pedaling Fool
01-29-2009, 18:03
1. Alcohol is a necessity.
2. Almost never.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2009, 18:04
As I read the various posts, I see many references to the consumption of alcohol--either on the trail or while in town.

Personally, I have spent plenty of time with folks who are drinking alcohol. I have also spent plenty of time with people who are on hiking trips. However, I am not used to being with people who are combining those two activities.

Two questions:
1. How common is alcohol consumption on the trail and in town? (Do most AT hikers drink alcohol on a fairly regular basis? or Do a large percentage of AT hikers drink alcohol rarely or not at all? or Is the answer "somewhere in between"?)

2. When hiking the AT (and at shelters), how often do you encounter intoxicated people who are behaving in an obnoxious or abusive manner?

1. very common. come to trail days or just come to damascus during hiking season. you'll see
2. lotsa drinking at shelters. not so much abusive/obnoxious behavior

Manwich
01-29-2009, 18:08
I'll drop a Benadryl and some brandy for a nightcap.

Kanati
01-29-2009, 18:10
1. Didn't see much because alcohol is extra weight and extra weight is a no-no
2. Not once on my hike.

Yahtzee
01-29-2009, 18:14
Just plain lots of drinking by those who drink. Once you are in shape, carrying a six-pack or twelve-pack or 3 or 4 Bud pounders a few miles to camp is not so hard to do. Besides once you hit the waysides of the Shenandoah's you can get blitzed from there to Duncannon damn near every night. That's what I did. By Maine, my ability to consume copious amounts of alcohol amazed me. Was never a hearty drinker so being able to down 12-15 beers at a sitting amazed me.

Johnny Thunder
01-29-2009, 19:21
Over the course of your hike you'll see everyone who drinks do so (probably more than once). For many, this is a six month vacation free of the usual Monday-through-Friday commitments. More often than not you'll see most people acting responsibly as if drinking in their own backyard. If you stay away from the obvious drinking hostels/hotels and other gatherings you probably won't witness anything too egregious.

It's funny but after about a month in the woods your body hits a metabolic reset. You'll bounce back from a few too many like when you were 19...only thing is...your tolerance resets, too.

NativePennsylvanian
01-29-2009, 19:35
I always bring some for myself and some to share, then pack out the trash too. The recipients are always grateful too. I figure carrying an extra 10 lbs is no big deal compared to people walking 2K miles.

No one's ever complained or given me the stink eye. Never seen anyone out of hand either, just annoying sometimes. And those people are like that with or without booze.

Ice cold Yuengling Lagers year round whereever I'm camping at. Nothing like sitting in your hammock watching the sun set at an overlook with a cold one.

Bearpaw
01-29-2009, 19:43
Granted, it's been 10 years since I thru-hiked, but I didn't see a lot of drinking in the backcountry, though what little I did see was around shelters. There was a LOT of drinking in towns.

I never had any problems with folks being obnoxious or intrusive in town or on the trail.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2009, 19:45
I never had any problems with folks being obnoxious or intrusive in town or on the trail.

or cabin C at SORUCK

Bearpaw
01-29-2009, 19:47
or cabin C at SORUCK

Maybe I just have a high tolerance for tom(or tammy)foolery... :-?

sticks&stones
01-29-2009, 19:52
I always thought that it was responsible when drinking on trail to be at the highest elevation possible for that day.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2009, 19:54
Lots of drinking in trail towns. Plenty in and around shelters too, especially on weekends if the shelter is used a lot by weekenders. Usually a pretty good supply of weed as well. Most hikers are pretty polite though, they're rarely obnoxious or abusive--they'll usually even offer you some of whatever they're drinking or smoking. :D

SteveJ
01-29-2009, 19:57
most of the drinking is at shelters

chuckle...I resemble that remark!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17784&catid=member&imageuser=6309

(notice the 1L of single malt scotch!) granted, only out for a week, but that's a couple of pounds I'm willing to carry!

Sly
01-29-2009, 20:17
If you want a trail where you won't see many hikers drinking, try the CDT. Of course, you won't see many hikers either. ;)

Blissful
01-29-2009, 20:27
Drinking occurred at a couple hostels. Also at Partnership shelter (though I think that is banned now ?). Sometimes at shelters if someone left beer in a stream or cooler there was some, but not enough to really matter (I saw more beer left there than sodas which was interesting.)

Actually there are more situations with illegal drugs at shelters. Lighter to carry, I suppose...

prain4u
01-29-2009, 20:49
Blissful wrote:
"Actually there are more situations with illegal drugs at shelters. Lighter to carry, I suppose..."

Well, pack weight DOES matter on a long distance hike!

Lone Wolf
01-29-2009, 20:52
Well, pack weight DOES matter on a long distance hike!

never mattered much to me

Compass
01-29-2009, 20:53
Liquor is about 135 calories per ounce.
Beer is about 11 calories per ounce.
Dried pasta or rice are 100 calories per ounce.

Just something to ponder.

Slo-go'en
01-29-2009, 21:06
You'll bounce back from a few too many like when you were 19...only thing is...your tolerance resets, too.

I'll say. After three cups of beer out of the keg at the Overmountian beer blast put on by the Appalachian State collage trail crew last spring, I almost couldn't make it back up the ladder to the loft. I must be getting old. Or maybe it was the wiskey chasers I seem to vegly remember someone was passing around. :-?

How long does a keg of beer last with 50 hikers drinking? Not long!

Roots
01-29-2009, 21:16
I'll say. After three cups of beer out of the keg at the Overmountian beer blast put on by the Appalachian State collage trail crew last spring, I almost couldn't make it back up the ladder to the loft. I must be getting old. Or maybe it was the wiskey chasers I seem to vegly remember someone was passing around. :-?

How long does a keg of beer last with 50 hikers drinking? Not long!

When did you go through there? Maybe I'll run into some App crew this year. :D

Jim Adams
01-29-2009, 21:16
2. Almost never.

The correct answer.:D

geek

Jim Adams
01-29-2009, 21:17
1. Didn't see much because alcohol is extra weight and extra weight is a no-no
2. Not once on my hike.

What planet were you on?:D

geek

stranger
01-29-2009, 21:25
Booze and Weed are quite common amongst hikers. Wouldn't say abusive behaviour is a problem, but it does occur occaisionally.

If you don't like being around weed or booze, I would avoid most places hikers come together in groups.

Slo-go'en
01-29-2009, 21:26
When did you go through there? Maybe I'll run into some App crew this year. :D

May 8th. I guess they do this every year the first weekend after the spring semester ends.

Mags
01-29-2009, 21:31
What kind of hiker would carry alcohol on a hike? Geeesh...

Ah..er..nevermind...

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=17355&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=f78a3e9fade375390b8197797125e37a

Being serious for a change....

On my thru-hikes, I did not pack alcohol. I did partake in a beer in town. On weekend trips, I don't mind packing in a little vino (even on 20 miler days off trail...) On the AT most hikers will be just like anywhere else: The majority who enjoy adult beverages and behave like adults. Kinda like life...

Of course, I did find this unopened treasure in the middle of the Great Divide Basin. Tasted much better than the cow water...

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14217&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=f78a3e9fade375390b8197797125e37a

garlic08
01-29-2009, 22:22
The definition of a rowdy hiker is one who finishes a beer before falling asleep.

Frick Frack
01-29-2009, 22:28
I carried a 3.0L of wine and 12-pack back to the shelter to support the troops on more than one occasion...the problem is packing it all back out the next day....all fuzzy...

I never experienced anyone out of control..except me in Damascus at the Hikers Inn one night....

Spirit Walker
01-29-2009, 22:47
What kind of hiker would carry alcohol on a hike? Geeesh...

Of course, I did find this unopened treasure in the middle of the Great Divide Basin. Tasted much better than the cow water...

Mags - we saw that bottle at Brenton Springs, but left it behind because we didn't want to carry the bottle out. Figured somebody else would want the vodka enough to carry out the empty. We didn't.

As to the original question - it has been a while since I hiked the AT, but when we did, there were a few who were focused on finding alcohol and carrying it on the trail. (Used to be a lot of the south was dry, so it wasn't that easy.) There were a few who made the trail a pub crawl. Most of us just drank in town, when it was easily available or if we ran into a freebie on the trail. (I found an unopened bottle of Guiness on West Mountain in NY - it was lunch.) Pot was less frequent then, I gather, but there were a few who partook openly and many who were more discrete.

Seems to me a few years ago there was a thread on where a hiker could find AA meetings along the trail. So if you are concerned about the issue - do a search.

Jim Adams
01-29-2009, 22:47
thanks for the beer at gooch gap, last march, geek. hit the spot!

you going to be in GA early march this year?

Yeah, I'll be there. A few alumni on saturday the 14th at Gooch Gap and St. Patrick's Day further down the trail.;)

geek

Johnny Thunder
01-29-2009, 22:59
Nothin' wrong with a liquor-pus.

Mags
01-29-2009, 23:07
Mags - we saw that bottle at Brenton Springs, but left it behind because we didn't want to carry the bottle out.

Split, it was just enough to wet the whistle w/o getting drunk. I ended up being a good doobie and carried it out. :)

DCHiker
01-30-2009, 10:54
I always thought it was a rule to backpack with a flask and canoe with a cooler

mister krabs
01-30-2009, 11:22
I always thought it was a rule to backpack with a flask and canoe with a cooler

That's the one I always follow.

JAK
01-30-2009, 11:24
I hike solo mostly, so when I drink alone I prefer to be by myself.

jersey joe
01-30-2009, 11:47
I very rarely encountered drinking by thru hikers at shelters. Most of the alcohol I saw at shelters was brought in by weekenders. I did have ONE bad experience with a couple guys who weren't thru hikers but were drinking heavily at Cable Gap Shelter in the south. They were loud and abnoxious and thew rocks at the shelter while a few of us were trying to settle down for the night. Kind of unsettling.

Gaiter
01-30-2009, 11:48
the most drinking you'll find, is by locals camped near a road, they'll leave the place trashed.... and a few of the few i've meet in the process of becoming trashed have been obnoxious, couple of really nice ones too....

GeneralLee10
01-30-2009, 11:50
The Greener the Lighter:D and less to carry.

BAG "o" TRICKS
01-30-2009, 12:15
1. very common. come to trail days or just come to damascus during hiking season. you'll see
2. lotsa drinking at shelters. not so much abusive/obnoxious behavior
Definitely agree Wolf and may I add, be 'very careful' where you consume.
If it says "no alcohol" then 'respect the rules', go somewhere where you can drink legally, again it’s about ‘respect’ not ‘entitlement’. Don't stem those to follow. Most problem incidents I've witnessed and heard about within the trail community occurred due to alcohol. You've all heard the saying, "instant a-hole just add alcohol".

Funkmeister
01-30-2009, 12:15
I have a considerable fondness for happy hour after a long day's walk. My standard carry and ration is 2 oz of 100 proof bourbon (Knob Creek), 2 oz of grain alcohol, and one packet of Crystal Lite per day. Start with the bourbon, then move to the camp punch. Makes my feet hurt less, or at least makes me think about them hurting less.

It's also an interesting dilemma when I run short on my denatured alcohol supply--I can burn the grain alcohol instead...Do I want that cup of hot tea, or do I want happy hour punch?

I've never seen any long-distance hikers act badly because of happy hour. Weekenders a little. Generally, I've found those who act badly when intoxicated also act badly not.

And yes, the before-mentioned happy hour consumables do weigh less than alcohol. Or so I'm told. That's the story I'm sticking with.

sasquatch2014
01-30-2009, 17:15

So if you need the calories you are to cook your pasta and rice in Liquor?

I haven't seen it be a problem. I have even been the local who knowing hikers would be at a particular shelter hauled beer in for their enjoyment. You run into those who smoke as well but most times in my limited experience will ask if anyone is bothered by it before the light up or they will "go get more water". I ran into one hiker who was very amused with themselves and pretty amusing to watch as well for that matter. Found out later that they were on mushrooms.

To each their own I guess. Most of the time those that are a bit obnoxious are that way even with out the alcohol.

TrippinBTM
01-30-2009, 17:27
There's a good amount of drinking. My group (and others, I hear) would sometimes hike out a box of wine (well, the bag of wine, not the box with it). Othertimes we'd have rum or whiskey or... well lets just say alcohol is real common. Liquor more than beer, due to weight per alcohol ratios.

That said, there wasn't much obnoxious behavior. One time there was a real drunk guy at Standing Bear Farm who caused some problems, but he quickly went over by the outhouse and passed out, and became a source of humor for the rest of the night. Besides that I can't think of any real bad moments of drunk behavior, not anything that was any worse than other complaints (like some people being a little too loud after "lights out" (sundown)). But that's just what you have to deal with at shelters, alcohol or not.

I have a theory that most obnoxious behavior that comes out when someone's drunk is due to stress and unhappiness. There's a lot less of both of those on the trail: people are relaxed and doing what they enjoy, they're happy. Thus drinking just adds to the fun, instead of causing fights and stuff.

Tankerhoosen
01-30-2009, 22:23
eh I never saw the point of bringing booze into the woods, kinda taints the experience for me.

prain4u
01-31-2009, 16:30
Thanks for answering my questions. It will be helpful as I make plans for future AT hiking.

Disclosure time: I have a history of addiction issues (been clean over 25 years). In addition to being a pastor, I am also a certified addiction counselor. Thus, I'm glad to hear that there are not too many obnoxious/abusive drinkers on the trail or at the shelters. (That would remind me too much of night shift on a detox unit. And, hiking the AT is supposed to be a place to take your mind off of work!)

I have absolutely no problem being around drinking and other such things--especially if I know that the stuff is going to be around. Just because I can't partake--doesn't mean that I am against other people having their own kind of fun in my presence. I am the one with addiction issues--not them.

I am a military chaplain (Army National Guard). I am OFTEN around military personnel who are drinking (after their duty hours). Just last Saturday, I was at a bar until closing time with some of my military personnel. My 25+ years of sobriety merely means that I am the one who is drinking soft drinks (I am also the permanent "designated driver").

Based on what people have written in this thread, I am guessing that the AT would be pretty much the same as my "military outings". Just a bunch of people sitting around, relaxing, having fun while drinking their favorite beverages. Some people are drinking beer--others are drinking whiskey or wine etc. I would simply drink what works best for me. (And 95-99% of the people will be perfectly "O.K" with me drinking "only" soft drinks--and they won't spend their evening encouraging me to drink something "stronger"). Does that sound pretty accurate?

Nicksaari
01-31-2009, 19:07
i dont mean any disrespect, but i habitually used the pot for a good part of my late-late teens/early 20s. ive curbed my habit now that im getting older.
it would suck to get into trouble for it or lose a job or fail a relationship.
the only time it seems necessary is when im packing about...or just out for a day. but i can also enjoy the outdoors w/o. anytime.

i guess my question is, seeing how that its a naturally occurring substance found on this gracious earth, and one would point out that "GOD" or Jesus or whoever put it here... whats wrong with taking it somewhere like the trail, away from people, away from authority, being respectful with it...once in a blue moon?

i respect you all, and i dont mean to be disrespectful to any of you, my brethren.
but seriously, i want to know what you all think. the smokers AND the non-smokers.
my friends, tread this lightly, but i would like to know what y'all think about the pot on the trail.

Nicksaari
01-31-2009, 19:10
it also seems that at one time WB administrators banned speaking of it, but it seems like their rules have bent. three or four ppl mentioned it above. so i am marking my words carefully and trying not to offend anybody. im sorry if i made anyone mad at me for this. but the debate table is now open for the time being.

Bearpaw
01-31-2009, 19:22
It was mentioned as a warning that you will see it out there. Conversations about how to commit illegal acts are NOT allowed. Discussions of why it should or shouldn't be allowed aren't going to fly either. At this time, unless something has dramatically changed that I haven't heard about, marijuana possession (outside of prescription for glaucoma MAYBE) is not legal in any Trail states.

And since the original topic was about prevalence of alcohol, let's not go down the marijuana road.

prain4u
01-31-2009, 19:22
SUL Knight,
It's O.K. to say it to me--because I AM getting "old". I feel my age every time that I am with my 18-25 year old soldiers--especially on a several mile run. I also do addiction counseling in a university town. Being around college students on a regular basis reminds me of how "old" I really am. In many instances, I am older than their parents. (I've got clothes in my closet that are older than many of my soldiers or my clients). So, yes, I AM getting "old".

Frankly, I am not worried that I will be pressured to actually drink or drug while on the AT. It just gets EXTREMELY annoying when people keep trying to push you to drink or drug--after you have told them "No thanks" a few (dozen) times. It would be equally annoying if I tried to push my sobriety or my religious beliefs upon other people. The words, "Hike Your Own Hike" need to be applied!

Tin Man
01-31-2009, 19:32
chuckle...I resemble that remark!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17784&catid=member&imageuser=6309

(notice the 1L of single malt scotch!) granted, only out for a week, but that's a couple of pounds I'm willing to carry!

I hike with Bartender (my bro) so that pic is very close to what we might look like when we is out there, including the cubans. We ain't ultra-light, but single malt is much easier on the back than a case of beer (been there, done with that).

Nicksaari
01-31-2009, 20:43
sorry guys. sorry bearpaw. need to delete post.

TrippinBTM
01-31-2009, 21:10
Based on what people have written in this thread, I am guessing that the AT would be pretty much the same as my "military outings". Just a bunch of people sitting around, relaxing, having fun while drinking their favorite beverages. Some people are drinking beer--others are drinking whiskey or wine etc. I would simply drink what works best for me. (And 95-99% of the people will be perfectly "O.K" with me drinking "only" soft drinks--and they won't spend their evening encouraging me to drink something "stronger"). Does that sound pretty accurate?

It may be offered, out of kindness, but I doubt anyone would push it on you repeatedly after you said no. I personally don't drink all that much, only when the occasion strikes me to do so (which is becoming pretty rare. I mainly stopped drinking by the end of the Trail). No one forced or pestered me over it.

And it's not like you'll be the only one. Lots of people who regularly drink at home abstain while in the woods. Others might be in the same boat as you. Chances are you won't have a problem, and if you do, it'll just be from one jerk; I don't think it'd be a common thing.

Tin Man
01-31-2009, 21:33
prain will be fine. people lugging heavy stuff might try to push some of the load off on you, but they are less likely to push off the booze. :)

weary
01-31-2009, 21:41

Yep. It depends entirely what one's priority may be from time to time. I liked a light pack. I also from time to time foiund great solace in a bit of bourbon on chilly evenings around a small campfire. YMMV.

Weary

Frosty
01-31-2009, 23:06

Two questions:

2. When hiking the AT (and at shelters), how often do you encounter intoxicated people who are behaving in an obnoxious or abusive manner?http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2004

Jack Tarlin
01-31-2009, 23:17
I notice that the thread Frosty provided is more than half a decade old.

Circumstances and events such as the one described in that thread are happily, very rare.

quietly
02-01-2009, 11:54
1. My hiking partner and I typically enjoy a bit of bourbon when settled in for the night. We toast absent friends, enjoy our nightcap, then turn in.

2. The worst related abuse I have seen is litter. It purely amazes me that someone would pack in a full bottle, then discard the empty..

wing it
02-07-2009, 04:55
If you want a trail where you won't see many hikers drinking, try the CDT. Of course, you won't see many hikers either. ;)

lol The CDT nearly turned our little group into alcoholics! Let me tell you, Everclear will last a hiker forever, and, you know, 16 fluid ounces of that stuff doesn't actually weigh a pound. Some of those hawaiian punch single serving packets, about 10,000 feet of elevation, some spare water you carried for the occasion, and you're set. We were in town so little that it was our bar experience. Though, nothing beats a campfire, miles from anybody else, under the bright, starry sky, passing a nalgene full of intoxicants around. Except maybe a good, hot, meal and a warm bed . . . maybe someone new to talk to, too . . .

JF2CBR
02-07-2009, 07:10
I don't usually drink on the trail (distance or otherwise). I'm not really a big drinker off the trail either though. If someone wanted to carry it for me, I'd gladly say thanks and bottoms up! A flask isn't that bad of an idea, and I have a friend that carried everclear because he claimed it had "100 uses" (first aid is one I'm guessing?) I prefer other vices in the evenings for several reasons, lighter weight, no packing out bottles, al natural, no hangovers, nice dreams! :)

zoidfu
02-07-2009, 09:09
i dont mean any disrespect, but i habitually used the pot for a good part of my late-late teens/early 20s. ive curbed my habit now that im getting older.
it would suck to get into trouble for it or lose a job or fail a relationship.
the only time it seems necessary is when im packing about...or just out for a day. but i can also enjoy the outdoors w/o. anytime.

i guess my question is, seeing how that its a naturally occurring substance found on this gracious earth, and one would point out that "GOD" or Jesus or whoever put it here... whats wrong with taking it somewhere like the trail, away from people, away from authority, being respectful with it...once in a blue moon?

i respect you all, and i dont mean to be disrespectful to any of you, my brethren.
but seriously, i want to know what you all think. the smokers AND the non-smokers.
my friends, tread this lightly, but i would like to know what y'all think about the pot on the trail.

There's nothing wrong with it until you come across someone who doesn't like it or has kids with them. That's when you start making a lot of "firewood trips".

2011_thruhiker
02-07-2009, 09:59
1. Hikers work hard to get on the trail and to hike the trail so they enjoy their goodies.
2.I have never encountered anyone drunk or drinking on the trail and personnally I wouldn't-too much risk to personnal safety and getting arrested.

Rockhound
02-07-2009, 10:32
prain4u, after reading your posts it is clear that you are more enlightened than many in your field. You appear to be a strong enough individual to hold true to your beliefs without the need to have those around you conform to them. Sure ,in your home environment this naturally occurs as like minded people form their own social groups. this will happen on the trail as well but on a smaller scale. The difference being that on the trail these groups have more interaction with each other. When this happens two things can occur. People can "choose sides" or they can realize there are no "sides". You seem open minded and non judgmental and part of the later group. Happy hiking.

TrippinBTM
02-07-2009, 10:34
I also from time to time foiund great solace in a bit of bourbon on chilly evenings around a small campfire. YMMV.

Weary

Bear in mind that alcohol increases circulation to your extremities, which is the cause of the warm feeling. In truth, this increase in blood flow is opposite to your body's natural reaction, which is to keep your core warm by keeping the blood there. So with alcohol, you feel warm, but you're really cooling your core.

Around a campfire, not a huge deal, but don't drink to stay warm when it's vital to keep your bodyheat.

Ramble~On
02-07-2009, 12:53
Accept it or not, alcohol is a huge part of our society - it's everywhere.
Why would the trail be any different. If x number of Americans consume alcohol regularly, that percentage will likely hold true on the trail as it would anywhere else.
Something to consider if you are easily offended or have issue with certain behaviors - The trail is a public place and while there are areas where alcohol is not supposed to be - it likely will be.
Just as where dogs aren't supposed to be - they will be. Guns, loud people, cigarette smoke, annoying people, drugs, profanity. This is not to say that these things will be at every shelter, camping area etc.
Unless you are a bit of a hermit and stealth camp yourself or group away from everyone else, you'll likely find all of the above and then some at one point or another. Chances are pretty good (IMO) that all of the above will be anywhere you go but you'll never know that they were there and the folks that are using them or have them will be the nicest people you ever met.

If anything were different from what I just said, there'd be a lot more people talking about "how dangerous" the trail is or "it's a shame to hear about those incidents"

IMHO and until I see otherwise firsthand, hikers are mellow, peaceful and all around great people. Every once in a while one might have a moment or two but - Who can claim that they never have or will.

"Reach out your hand if your cup be empty. If your cup is full may it be again."

"Just a box of rain-
wind and water-
Believe it if you need it,
if you don't just pass it on"

randyg45
02-07-2009, 13:57
My oldest daughter- Stacey- and I were in YNP (Heart Lake) when she was 15 and I was 10 years sober. A group of young people, park employees, sort of hiked/rolled/staggered in about half an hour after dark. They said they were lost (I suspected they were just partying without a backcountry permit) and asked if they could camp with us. I said sure, as long as I didn't have to clean up after them the nexr morning and they threw up a couple tents, built a fire, and unpacked what seemed to me to be huuuuge quantities of booze and beer- huge for 8 miles off the road, anyway.
Stacey, who was apprehensive about me being around the booze and I joined them at their fire. One of the girls came over, sat down on the log beside me, and asked if I wanted a beer. I could feel the animosity radiating from my overprotective daughter as she tensed up. I looked at the young lady and delivered one of my favorite AA lines: "Thanks, but I don't drink when I'm sober", and that was the humorous end of that.
Stacey relaxed, and we all had a nice evening. They weren't too loud, even after we crashed; and they did a good job cleaning up the next morning.
Some people will however do everything short of physical violence to get a recovering person to drink with them. It's pretty commonly believed by my group that such people know, at some level, they have a problem and in some way feel threatened our sobriety. Misery does in fact love company.
They are to be avoided unless or until they seek help.

Ramble~On
02-07-2009, 14:12
I quite often bring alcohol along on hikes and often will backpack with groups of friends and "the party" when we camp is the main reason for the trip.
Whether you drink or you don't to me is about on the same line as whether or not you have a tattoo or not...it really makes no difference to me as long as you are happy and are enjoying yourself. I respect anyone who has determined that they have an issue with something and have the power to rise above it. I was an addicted smoker for years and I don't like to be around them because (maybe I'm hypersensitive to them) they stink really, really bad...I have no fear of "breaking down" and smoking one, I have too strong a hatred of them. I can see how the same for alcohol could be a similar thing for others.

warraghiyagey
02-07-2009, 14:17
2. Almost never.

Great answers

never mattered much to me
That's cuz you're just so neat-o:sun

prain4u
02-08-2009, 03:00
Some people will however do everything short of physical violence to get a recovering person to drink with them.

RandyG45: You are right on target with that statement! I have encountered so many of those kind of individuals in my 25+ years of not drinking. (I even had a Lieutenant Colonel order me to drink alcohol. He then threatened to bring me up on charges before a Brigadier General for disobeying the "order").

Frankly, I would rather NOT deal with such people on a regular basis while on the trail or at shelters. I can easily enough deal with them--but it does get pretty tiring and annoying after a while. I would much rather relax and enjoy my hike or my dinner (and enjoy their good company)--while they sit back and enjoy their beer or shot.

It always amazes me how overly obsessed some people become with the contents of my beverage cup!

prain4u
02-08-2009, 04:48
Accept it or not, alcohol is a huge part of our society - it's everywhere. Why would the trail be any different.

Your point (and your entire post) is a very good one--and I agree with most of what you wrote. However, I also have a possible answer to the question, "Why would the trail be any different?".

1. Many people go hiking for a change in their daily schedule or routine. (Many people take on new names and a new diet when they hike). Thus, for some people, NOT consuming alcohol while on the trail WOULD be a significant change from their "non-hiking" daily routine.

2. There are a lot of "gram weenies" out there who get totally stressed out if they carry an extra three inches of very thin rope. They believe it will make their pack "heavy". I can't even begin to imagine what the "trauma" of carrying four ounces of whiskey (or 12 ounces of beer) would do to their mental state! :D

3. Alcohol consumption can impair judgment--even with a Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) as low as .02 or .04. And, a hangover can make you feel pretty awful--even if you are at home on the couch all day. My guess would be that some people would rather not have impaired judgment--or would wish to avoid having a crappy hangover--when they have to carry a pack over hills, rocks, or rough terrain. (However, I know that many of my fellow soldiers have no problem hiking with either a buzz or a big hangover).

4. Some hikers are pretty obsessed with health and fitness. Some of those health and fitness folks tend to stay away from alcohol--especially when training or when involved in some type of big physical activity (like hiking the AT).

5. According to 2006 data from the the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention--approximately 39% of the U.S. adult population consumed NO ALCOHOL in the previous 12 months. Another 12% consumed alcohol infrequently (less than 12 drinks in the previous year). If (as you point out) the AT community merely reflects our society, then 51% of the hikers would consume little or no alcohol. :-?

MintakaCat
02-08-2009, 07:41
On my last trip out a friend of mine found a source for liquor right near the trail. As he was headed up the mountain and away from the river and camp, to answer the call of nature, he stumbled across an old abandon moonshine still. It looked like it had been abandoned for 50 years or more, but it was pretty interesting. At first we couldn’t tell what it was due to the age, but after a while we connected the dots.

weary
02-08-2009, 22:40
RandyG45: You are right on target with that statement! I have encountered so many of those kind of individuals in my 25+ years of not drinking. (I even had a Lieutenant Colonel order me to drink alcohol. He then threatened to bring me up on charges before a Brigadier General for disobeying the "order").

Frankly, I would rather NOT deal with such people on a regular basis while on the trail or at shelters. I can easily enough deal with them--but it does get pretty tiring and annoying after a while. I would much rather relax and enjoy my hike or my dinner (and enjoy their good company)--while they sit back and enjoy their beer or shot.

It always amazes me how overly obsessed some people become with the contents of my beverage cup!
Nor should you. Just ignore the persistent. Friendly folks who are not alcoholics will offer you a drink. I tend not to, because I'm conscience of weight. I've reached the age where I can carry what I need, or desire, but very few extras, except in emergcncy situations.

Weary

drastic_quench
02-09-2009, 00:31
3. Alcohol consumption can impair judgment--even with a Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) as low as .02 or .04. And, a hangover can make you feel pretty awful--even if you are at home on the couch all day. My guess would be that some people would rather not have impaired judgment--or would wish to avoid having a crappy hangover--when they have to carry a pack over hills, rocks, or rough terrain. (However, I know that many of my fellow soldiers have no problem hiking with either a buzz or a big hangover).
You can run with the dogs at night, but you'd better be able to soar with the eagles in the morning.