PDA

View Full Version : Down clothing

ApeApeMan
01-29-2009, 18:31
I have a sweet down vest.

Should i bring it?

I'm worried that it will get wet. Obviously there are down bags on the trail, but is down clothing a cause for concern?

bigcranky
01-29-2009, 18:34
Bring it. Don't worry about getting it wet. It's unlikely that you would wear any down clothing while actually hiking, anyway. It'll be there for cold mornings in camp, lunch breaks, etc.

Besides, it's actually harder to get down totally wet than most people think. Think about where ducks and geese actually live....

garlic08
01-29-2009, 18:57
If you're leaving anytime between now and mid-April, BRING IT! I was facing the same dilemma last year, packed the vest at the last minute, and never regretted it. I wore it only once when hiking and never came close to getting it wet. I also saw it as a backup if the bag ever got compromised, which never happened.

Pedaling Fool
01-29-2009, 19:14
Just don't wear it in the rain and all should be good. Just like a bag put it in plastic and store in pack while raining.

A side note: I'm thinking of reporting all hikers to PETA so they can throw the blood of all the dead geese that hikers have promoted the killing of; kind of like the blood they throw on celebrities at red carpet events.

sticks&stones
01-29-2009, 19:59

Should i bring it?

I'm worried that it will get wet. Obviously there are down bags on the trail, but is down clothing a cause for concern?

How much more comfortable could a soaked up synthetic vest be from a down one. Never seen a hiker happy to put on anything soaked, be it down or syn, or anything else for that matter.

Blissful
01-29-2009, 20:11
I used a down jacket from March to May. You have your rain jacket also - see if it fits over it, which it should, and you're set. But I would not hike in it, that's for sure.

ApeApeMan
01-29-2009, 20:28
how confident are you that you can prevent it from getting soaked?

Pretty confident. I might sew up a silnylon stuff sack for it.

And my rain jacket fits over it. I think it'll be okay, just looking for reassurance.

Blissful
01-29-2009, 20:30
You're fine. I also took a Reynolds oven bag to double bag my jacket. Weighs nothing.

SGT Rock
01-29-2009, 21:12
Bring it, just don't hike in it. Save it for the sweet campsite warmth.

take-a-knee
01-29-2009, 21:23
How much more comfortable could a soaked up synthetic vest be from a down one. Never seen a hiker happy to put on anything soaked, be it down or syn, or anything else for that matter.

Dude, you don't have a clue, we're not talking comfort, we're talking not becoming a Hatchet Jack impersonator.

SGT Rock
01-29-2009, 21:24
we're talking not becoming a Hatchet Jack impersonator.I just spit out my drink. How many people even get this reference?

SGT Rock
01-29-2009, 21:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7nqxIdROsI

Wags
01-29-2009, 23:03

i agree.

Dogwood
01-30-2009, 15:04
Just don't get it soaked! U R going to need a rain shell at some pt on the AT. Use it to protect the down. Or don't hike in down when it's raining hard. Care for it like any other piece of gear. U can certainly use down on the AT.

JAK
01-30-2009, 16:42
There is nothing wrong with good fleece when it gets wet. That would be my choice if I fell through the ice or into a stream. All skin layers are all just fine also, even when soaked, unless they are cotton. A good wool sweater also, just needs to be wrung out, as long as you don't have far to swim. For hiking in cold heavy rain I prefer a wool sweater and fleece pants, under rain shells of course, and a skin layer if still cold.

Wet insulated clothing is totally different, and down is worse than synthetic. I would think something like a field jacket liner might not be too bad when wet though,
as long as it didn't freeze. My wool sweater I keep on so it never freezes, and it can be wrung out and dried with a fire if neccessary. A field jacket liner isn't so easy to keep on, and wouldn't be as easy to keep dry as fleece.

You can use down clothing on the AT, but I wouldn't depend on it.

JAK
01-30-2009, 16:49
For the most part clothing for 30F in wet conditions should be good enough for 0F in dry conditions, so down clothing is just extra weight, a fashion item really, until it gets below 0F. Some people take extreme measures to avoid getting wet, but on the AT even in winter you are far more likely to get soaked than frozen. If you are depening on down clothing to stay warm, then you probably don't have enough clothing if you get wet.

Wags
01-31-2009, 20:01
i just think the 'synthetic is better than down when wet' statement is a trendy thing to say and doesn't have much real life application. they both will suck when soaked...

ChinMusic
01-31-2009, 20:20

Should i bring it?

A Down vest/jacket/parka is a great piece of gear. Just DO NOT wear it while hiking if you are sweating. I have worn a down vest while hiking and soaked the back with sweat. It became worthless to me at camp. I learned my lesson.

In general, down clothing is for camp (or while taking a break) unless it is DANG cold.

JAK
01-31-2009, 20:25
I was wondering what one of those field jacket liners might be like wet.
Could you roll it up and squeeze it dry, or nearly so?

take-a-knee
01-31-2009, 21:08
I was wondering what one of those field jacket liners might be like wet.
Could you roll it up and squeeze it dry, or nearly so?

You betcha, as a certain attractive governor would say.