PDA

View Full Version : Changing fuel

MEANT 2B
01-29-2009, 21:25
I bought my Whisperlite International over 10 years ago. I pretty much have never used it other than to make sure it works. I didn't carry a stove with me when I thru-hiked. I'm not sure what kind of fuel is in the stove and I don't have any sense of taste or smell to be able to tell that way as to what kind of fuel is in the stove cannister.

The cannister is around halfway full and I'm looking at doing a 3/2 winter backpacking trip, hence why I'm thinking of carrying the stove. I would like to switch over to gasoline and use that since I have it readily available. I've already heard not to directly mix the gasoline in but no one that responded to my question elsewhere ever would give detailed enough information on how to safely play this situation.

What is the best way to go about switching the fuel. Can I just empty the cannister and pour in gasoline or do I have to fully let it air dry out or otherwise first?

MEANT 2B
GAME '97

SGT Rock
01-29-2009, 21:28
Pour what is in there in your car gas tank. Most likely it is white gas which is gasoline without any additives. 1/2 a small tank will mix in with the rest of your gas and you will not notice a difference.

Then put in whatever you like. Although I will say you probably should stick with Coleman or some other specific camp gas since (as I understand it) car gas will clog your stove faster.

MEANT 2B
01-29-2009, 21:34
I couldn't even get my password changed before you replied. That's darn quick.

I didn't figure their was much difference. I figure with as little as I would use the stove normally it really doesn't matter much. This is the only time of the year I would take a stove with me and that's only because of all the cold weather problems that forces you to pretty much take a stove. The last time I was even out on an overnighter was 2001. OOPS!, I'm not suppose to say that am I, LOL!!!

Toolshed
01-29-2009, 21:41
I've been running my W-lite Int'l on anything from white gas to RUG (Reg Unleaded) as well as a mixture of the 2. Never had any problems. RUG is a bit more explosive than white gas, but when it is extremely cold out, it is hard to get it lit without the match going out.
I have used Kerosene and #2 Diesel as well with no ill effects, other than a more sooty oily stove.
I would recommend staying with the RUG or WG though.
rock makes a good point -Dump the old crap in your auto tank where it will blend, then just fill your stove fresh.
In another forum we were talking about old WG and I have several sealed cans from the 70's from my wife's deceased aunt and uncle. It still burns well.