PDA

View Full Version : trail difficulty?

Cast Away
01-29-2009, 21:45
Possibly doing a couple of nights on the stretch leading up to Mcafee knob. (heading north) Just wondering what the difficulty level of the trail is there seeing as though I have a sore knee.

Thanks

SGT Rock
01-29-2009, 21:48
Starting where?

I thought that section was rather easy and pleasant.

trailfoot
01-29-2009, 21:50
I will go along with the Sgt on that one and say it was rather easy since the trail club made all the wooden stairs to make walking over the rocks a lot easier.

Kanati
01-29-2009, 22:01
I will go along with the Sgt on that one and say it was rather easy since the trail club made all the wooden stairs to make walking over the rocks a lot easier.

I'm going to be working in Detroit (as we discussed) on Feb 18th and 19th. If I get the time and don't have to rush home, I would like to drive over to GR and visit with you on the way home. Are you going to be around?

Kerosene
01-30-2009, 14:31
Possibly doing a couple of nights on the stretch leading up to Mcafee knob. (heading north) Just wondering what the difficulty level of the trail is there seeing as though I have a sore knee.Catawba to the Knob is a nice steady grade. There's a quick drop from the Knob to Campbell Shelter, and then the trail continues along a sometimes-rocky ridge to Tinker Cliffs. From there to Daleville the trail seemed pretty easy to me. I covered Daleville to Catawba Shelter on a nice October day.

Hikerhead
01-30-2009, 14:55

Personally, I wish the wooden steps were never put in. To me it's an eyesore. And I wouldn't call them steps..more like little landings put on top of each other with dirt used to fill them up. They are used on a rocky ridgeline that is not going to erode. That's just my feelings.

TrippinBTM
01-30-2009, 17:20
I seem to remember it being pretty easy. (easy is a relative term on the AT, though). I'm having trouble remembering the day before McAfee Knob, though. I know the day I climbed it, I'd camped at a stream maybe a mile past VA 624, and got over it and on to Daleville (25 mi) in one day, but I seem to remember Dragon's Tooth being the day before, which I remember as having a long, steep downhill, more like bouldering than hiking. Could hurt your knee a bit.

I do know the climb up to McAfee Knob was a breeze. When I got to the top I couldn't believe it, it didn't seem right to hardly be sweating. As Kerosene said, there is a drop and then a pretty steady climb to Tinker Cliffs, but it's not bad. It's a pretty walk, and that's sayin something, because we were pretty much fogged in all day. (which was the main disappointment on the Knob. Fortunately we had a bit of a view at the Cliffs). And into Daleville is nice too, nothing too troubling, and a great view of Carvins Cove.

Yahtzee
01-30-2009, 17:23
If you are doing a couple of days leading up to the Knob heading north, I am going to assume that you will be going by Dragon's Tooth. As TrippinBTM said, coming off of the Tooth is a kneebanger. Not straight down but plenty of big step downs that end up being more like jump downs. Will be slow-going for someone trying to protect a knee.

Good luck.

Kanati
01-30-2009, 18:07
Catawba to the Knob is a nice steady grade. There's a quick drop from the Knob to Campbell Shelter, and then the trail continues along a sometimes-rocky ridge to Tinker Cliffs. From there to Daleville the trail seemed pretty easy to me. I covered Daleville to Catawba Shelter on a nice October day.

When you are finished with your hike, or half way thru, check out the Home Place restaurant at Catawba. You shaint be disappointed. I think they are closed one night a week but I can't remember which. Maybe someone can help.

Enjoy. :sun

jlb2012
01-30-2009, 22:23
When you are finished with your hike, or half way thru, check out the Home Place restaurant at Catawba. You shaint be disappointed. I think they are closed one night a week but I can't remember which. Maybe someone can help.

Enjoy. :sun

Homeplace is only open Thursday through Sunday and is closed for a couple weeks around 4 July