PDA

View Full Version : merino from lands' end

betsi
01-30-2009, 03:56
is all merino created equal? i have a gift card from lands' end and am contemplating purchasing my base layer (merino top and pants) from there. the website says the merino is "lightweight and thin." i don't live near a store, so i have to buy on-line. will i need a heavier weight?

fiddlehead
01-30-2009, 04:20
If you are from AZ and used to those temps, I'd say yes. You will need something heavier for the AT.
It'd probably be fine for the middle states but not for the colder ones.
(you don't say what trail you plan on hiking, NOBO or SOBO, or much info to help you)

JAK
01-30-2009, 09:14
http://www.landsend.com
Both their silk and merino long underwear look good. You want them light, as you don't need to wear a baselayer every day, but you will find them more useful if they are light. You might get both the silk and the merino and wear them this winter and then decide which to bring. For an early start you might bring both, if the wool is just loose enough to fir over the silk and under your mid layer. Some of their mid-layer fleece looks good also, but they have no wool sweaters, which is sad. With a name like Lands End they should have british wool sweaters. Check out hats and gloves and scarves also if you need to round out your gift certificate. Have fun.

p.s. Seriously, am I going crazy, or do they have no wool sweaters?

Hoop
01-30-2009, 13:02
I saw some wool cashmere and lambswool sweaters in there, but there were more "cotton cashmere" ones (cotton cashmere, wha?)

Franco
02-01-2009, 00:55
Betsi
is all merino created equal?

No far from it. It is just like asking "is down all the same ?" or "is silnylon all the same?"
The cheapest Merino wool is fairly coarse, relatively heavy and possibly itchy. The very finest Icebreaker or Smartwool ( and various other equivalents) will feel a lot softer and offer much more warmth at the same weight. ( just like down....)
Franco

fehchet
02-01-2009, 09:44
http://www.isisforwomen.com/6802.html

Isis for women has these merino wool leggings for sale pretty cheap and in 3 colors.