PDA

View Full Version : LBL Fort Henry Trail System

jcramin
01-30-2009, 12:17
My son and I are planning to hike the Land Between the Lakes Fort Henry Trails over Easter Weekend. We will drive in that Thursday Morning and hike some on Thur and have all of Fri and Sat to hike and we will hike some Sun morning before driving home.

I know there are lots of trails and connectors and stuff all thru it the Fort Henry Trails, I do have the map.

I was wondering what are the best trails to take for things to do and look at and enjoy, and are there any of the trails in the Fort Henry section that we should avoid ?

We will be camping every night on the trail somewhere, are there any actual campsites or shelters on that trail system ? or do we just stop and camp off the trails ?

Thanks,
J

Kanati
01-30-2009, 14:11
My son and I are planning to hike the Land Between the Lakes Fort Henry Trails over Easter Weekend. We will drive in that Thursday Morning and hike some on Thur and have all of Fri and Sat to hike and we will hike some Sun morning before driving home.

I know there are lots of trails and connectors and stuff all thru it the Fort Henry Trails, I do have the map.

I was wondering what are the best trails to take for things to do and look at and enjoy, and are there any of the trails in the Fort Henry section that we should avoid ?

We will be camping every night on the trail somewhere, are there any actual campsites or shelters on that trail system ? or do we just stop and camp off the trails ?

Thanks,
J

Easter weekend (April 11 and 12 ) there will be 850 turkey hunters in LBL. I will be one of them. The following weekend there will be another 850. April 4-5 there is a youth turkey hunt and there will be 300 hunters on the TN side. Most of my hunting is in area 16 where the Ft. Henry trails are, but don't worry, I am very careful. I do however recommend that you wear something colorful, but not red.

You can camp where you like except within 150 ft. of Ft. Henry road and the other major roads on LBL. You will need a back country camping permit which cost about $20. It may have gone up this year.

Stop by the south visitor center and pick up a map and regulations. They will write you a ticket for the smallest imfraction. My first trip there about 1978 resulted in a parking ticket because I parked too far off the road. They are very strict about that.

jcramin
01-30-2009, 15:44
OUCH I dont know if I want to go during Turkey Season.

Thanks for all the good info.

J

Kanati
01-30-2009, 16:23
OUCH I dont know if I want to go during Turkey Season.

Thanks for all the good info.

J

You'll be ok safety wise. The only issue is that some hunters use the hiking trails as reference points while they are hunting so they won't get lost. They sometimes seem agitated if non-hunters "mess" them up. It doesn't bother me to see someone. The turkeys quickly forget. While hiking thru VA last spring I came upon 2 guys turkey hunting. They were actually sitting in the trail and I had to go around them. Go figure.

Enjoy your hike. :sun

jcramin
01-30-2009, 17:39
Well Im a hunter, people passing by dont bother me, BUT it does bother some people and some people get pretty mad. Id hate to be on the other end of a MAD hunter.

The Solemates
01-30-2009, 19:13
Well Im a hunter, people passing by dont bother me, BUT it does bother some people and some people get pretty mad. Id hate to be on the other end of a MAD hunter.

i pretty much stay on that side of hunters. but alas, its my wilderness too :)