PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

GeneralLee10
01-30-2009, 12:29
Is there an Alcohol stove like the MSR simmerlite, something that works the same but use Heet or DN for fuel? Or do I not understand the stove can you use more than the fuels it says you can? If not that would be neat if one could make one but use a smaller bottle of fuel or switch bottle sizes.

restless
01-30-2009, 12:40
Some MSR stoves such as the Whisperlight International can use other fuels such as gasoline, kerosene, diesel, etc. Not all MSR stoves do though sop check to make sure which stoves do and that the proper jest are installed. Denatured alcohol/ Heet does not need to be pressurized therefore no external tank is needed, but stoves such as the Siimerlight and whisperlight will not run on Denatured Alcohol. You can look other places on this site for more information on alcohol stoves so I'm not going to waste space going into that here. Do some homework on stoves and go by the manufacturers recommendations. That couls prevent a mjor pyrotechnical event.

Alligator
01-30-2009, 13:00
The simmerlite only uses white gas. There are three sizes of fuel bottles 11, 22, 33 oz that are generally sold and easy to find. There might be a few other sizes from different companies, I remember seeing a titanium bottle a few years ago but I don't know if they are still produced, nor what size they were. The weight difference on the bottles is fairly small, it's the fuel that adds the most weight.

GeneralLee10
01-30-2009, 13:03
Some MSR stoves such as the Whisperlight International can use other fuels such as gasoline, kerosene, diesel, etc. Not all MSR stoves do though sop check to make sure which stoves do and that the proper jest are installed. Denatured alcohol/ Heet does not need to be pressurized therefore no external tank is needed, but stoves such as the Siimerlight and whisperlight will not run on Denatured Alcohol. You can look other places on this site for more information on alcohol stoves so I'm not going to waste space going into that here. Do some homework on stoves and go by the manufacturers recommendations. That couls prevent a mjor pyrotechnical event.

I did some more poking and found my answer and thanks for your info also. I feel kind foolish for even asking this Ha! to bad I can't delete this thread