PDA

View Full Version : Feedback please: REI UL trekking pole.

The Will
01-30-2009, 17:49
I just received a pair of REI Peak UL carbon fiber trekking poles 6.5 oz each). It was a pretty sweet deal ($54, normally $139).

I have read reviews stating that the locking mechanism is problematic. Other reviews are glowing.

Also, does anyone have experience using this trekking pole in a set-up such as the SMD Lunar Solo? Do these poles bow appreciably more than a standard aluminum pole under tension or strain from strong wind?

Thanks.

BrianLe
01-31-2009, 12:45
I used these poles on the PCT this past year plus various training hikes in 2007, so I reckon I have over 3000 miles on them now. I had some minor issues with the locking mechanism on one for a while, but just fiddling with it made it okay again. Indeed, I'm sure there are better pole locks on other models, but given that you already have these ... they're great poles. I used one pole as my tarptent pole for most of the trip (when I wasn't cowboy camping), an since I have the short versions I in fact overextended the pole on a regular basis (i.e., I extended it beyond the marks that say "stop here") with no problem, no significant bowing. I don't have the Lunar Solo, I have a Tarptent Contrail, but I expect they'll work fine in your setup too.

Nest
01-31-2009, 14:56
Just a potential problem to be aware of. A guy named Turtle used them on a long section last year, and I hiked with him off and on. The little plastic retaining pin that holds the hand straps in place broke off on him somewhere around Siler Bald, NC. Not sure if he was harsh on them or anything, but figured I would let you know so you can keep an eye for it. It's the little plastic pin that goes through the side of the handle at the top.

Summit
01-31-2009, 15:10
I have and love the REI Summit aluminum ones. I think the carbon ones slip more easily due to the metal composition. But most folks I've talked to say that once you get a 'groove' where you twist-lock them, the slipping stops. Of course that has to do with walking and not using it as a tarp pole. The aluminum poles definitely have stronger lateral strength . . . I believe the REI reader card in the trekking poles section states this. If your poles are new, try twist locking them over and over in the same place until you begin to see a groove forming.

The Will
01-31-2009, 15:53
Just a potential problem to be aware of. A guy named Turtle used them on a long section last year, and I hiked with him off and on. The little plastic retaining pin that holds the hand straps in place broke off on him somewhere around Siler Bald, NC. Not sure if he was harsh on them or anything, but figured I would let you know so you can keep an eye for it. It's the little plastic pin that goes through the side of the handle at the top.

Yeah. I already noticed that that is a moveable part. Maybe it can be extracted enough to remove and replace the straps. Don't know. Haven't messed w/them enough. Thanks for the heads-up.

garlic08
01-31-2009, 17:34
I used these poles with my Tarptent Contrail on my AT thru this year. They worked fine, but I also noticed the "groove" deal mentioned above. After a week or so, they worked fine. I was surprised they lasted the AT without breaking, even surviving a couple of falls in Maine.

The main problem I had was finding new tips. Mine were worn down after 1500 miles. All the outfitters stocked Leki, which do not fit. They're made by Komperdel, so you have to get tips from Komperdel, REI, or EMS (also made by Komperdel). I was lucky to find an EMS store in Vermont.

BrianLe
02-02-2009, 06:06
Ditto on the tips; I poked around a bit on the internet before my trip to find Komperdell branded replacement tips. What I got where significantly longer tip bodies than the originals but they fit fine when I did replacement along the way. It's very possible, however, that a good outfitter will have some other brand of replacement tip that will nevertheless work just as well. When I replaced my tips, another thru-hiker was happy to get my cast-offs (he had broken or somehow lost one or both tips), and if I recall correctly he put them on a different brand of pole (presumeably not Leki, though, based on Garlic08's comment).

1500 miles sounds about right; I think I was 1400 or so miles into my trip when I replaced mine, but I had done several hundred miles of training hikes with these the year before. OTOH, my understanding is that the trail surface could on average be tougher on poles on the AT than on the PCT.

garlic08
02-02-2009, 15:24
Ditto on the tips; I poked around a bit on the internet before my trip to find Komperdell branded replacement tips. What I got where significantly longer tip bodies than the originals but they fit fine when I did replacement along the way. It's very possible, however, that a good outfitter will have some other brand of replacement tip that will nevertheless work just as well. When I replaced my tips, another thru-hiker was happy to get my cast-offs (he had broken or somehow lost one or both tips), and if I recall correctly he put them on a different brand of pole (presumeably not Leki, though, based on Garlic08's comment).

1500 miles sounds about right; I think I was 1400 or so miles into my trip when I replaced mine, but I had done several hundred miles of training hikes with these the year before. OTOH, my understanding is that the trail surface could on average be tougher on poles on the AT than on the PCT.

The Komperdell shafts are smaller diameter than Leki's, so Komperdell will fit on Leki but Leki won't fit on Komperdell. I was also the beneficiary of used Komperdel tips when I used Lekis on the CDT.

I was surprised I got over 1500 miles on those tips. I never got over 1000 from Leki's before the metal tip came out. I only replaced mine because they were worn down. I also could only find the longer ski pole-type tip, but they've worked fine, maybe a few grams heavier.

garlic08
02-02-2009, 15:29
By the way, that is an excellent price on these poles. I was going to add that I would not recommend these poles if you pay full retail. I got them on sale, too, not that good a deal. I also wouldn't recommend them for shorter hikes, where the weight savings really won't be noticable. I didn't really expect them to last an AT thru, and it wasn't until they actually made it that I realized they're a pretty good piece of equipment and I was glad to have them.

billslade
02-02-2009, 15:40
I have used these poles for over a year now and they work great. As others have said, you may have to fiddle with the locking mechanism if they are loosened to much.

I have a SMD Lunar Solo and do not have any bowing on the pole. I have the compact version and it fits nicely. These poles are strong for the weight.

Hopfully they hold up on my AT Thru hike this year.

You got a great price. Enjoy!