PDA

View Full Version : Black Forest Trail PA

dscostu
01-30-2009, 19:08
Looking for anyone with info on the Black Forest Trail. Mostly wondering if there are any good websites with reliable info. (can't find too much on here). Also any thoughts on direction and if the guide book is accurate in regards to campsites. Also interested in water supply for Mid-April time frame. Thanks ahead of time, for your time and vast knowledge...love the site and love all the nice helpful people here.

The Solemates
01-30-2009, 19:12
Looking for anyone with info on the Black Forest Trail. Mostly wondering if there are any good websites with reliable info. (can't find too much on here). Also any thoughts on direction and if the guide book is accurate in regards to campsites. Also interested in water supply for Mid-April time frame. Thanks ahead of time, for your time and vast knowledge...love the site and love all the nice helpful people here.

could you use a few more italics, underline, bold, font colors, etc? I cannot read your post unless you do. please advise. :p

dscostu
01-30-2009, 19:15
could you use a few more italics, underline, bold, font colors, etc? I cannot read your post unless you do. please advise. :p

Thank you for your helpful reply...

The Solemates
01-30-2009, 19:21
thank you for youre sense of humor...:rolleyes:

anyways...havent done the black forest trail so cannot be helpful there. i have done part of the mid state trail and the whole laurel highlands trail in PA. hike in PA every year . always run into hunters opening days of bear season. i have not seen a guidebook specific to the black forest trail...probably due to its relative short length. there are many write ups that are halfway decent in trails like "50 hikes in this state" etc. there should be plenty of water in mid april stuff doesnt start drying up in PA until june or so.

dscostu
01-30-2009, 19:28
I guess you just needed some warming up to respond...lol....I am a sixth grade teacher and have just gotten use to BOLD UNDERLINED different colored ALL CAP. eye catchers...ya know how well six grade students read directions...sorry...should have realized that this is an adult site...thanks for you help...I have some of those books but they always seem to get the campsites wrong...usually the one I want to camp at...right when it is getting dark...thanks! Ok, now comment on my uses of dot dot dots...:p

Jim Adams
01-30-2009, 19:31
I purchased a "sorta guide book" and a map of the Black Forest trail about 7 or 8 years ago at the local Pittsburgh EMS but they have now been replaced with REI and REI doesn't have the info. I will try to find the info at home this weekend and if I can will send you what I find. BTW, I got the info because my best friend has backpacked EVERYWHERE in Pa. and he swears that the Black Forest Trail is the prettiest in the state.

geek

dscostu
01-30-2009, 19:33
Thanks will check back after the weekend. See this site is filled with very helpful people...I love it...you all are great...:D

ki0eh
01-30-2009, 20:15
These links may be more helpful:

http://www.pahikes.com/BlackForestTrail/default.asp (http://www.pahikes.com/BlackForestTrail/default.asp)
http://www.midatlantichikes.com/bfts.htm
http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id194.html

DGG
01-30-2009, 20:28
Pine Creek Outfitters (Wellsboro, PA) advertises the guide on the web page (www.pinecrk.com). If you want to call, their number is (570) 724-3003.

Strategic
01-30-2009, 21:25
The Conshohocken REI has the guidebook, I've seen it on the shelf there within the last few months and it should be the most recent revision. To add to the collection of links, here's the DCNR website for Tiadaghton State Forest (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/stateforests/tiadaghton.aspx), which hosts not only the BFT but also a chunk of the MST. There's also a link to the Map page (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/stateforests/tiadaghtonmap.aspx) for Tiadaghton, with the BFT on the map section at the upper left and the MST wandering down the three map sections just to the right of it.

Water should be good in April, that's not usually a dry month for any part of PA, but water is pretty easy to get on the BFT in any case.

For campsites, I'd go with what the latest guidebook has down, as those are likely to be both legal and in good spots.

One other quick thing that someone ought to bring up (and it looks like it will have to be me): this is a pretty rough trail with some of the steepest elevation changes in PA. That means some beautiful scenery, of course, but be prepared for a lot of relatively hard up and down.

handlebar
01-30-2009, 21:29
I'm pretty sure that this site has a map:

http://www.neohbackpackingclub.com/mapLib.aspx

The same site will also probably have some trail journals covering the Black Forest Trail.

Penn-J
01-30-2009, 22:17
This is a great trail! I hiked it in 2004. (If you go mid week you're likely to have it all to yourself) It's got some tough ups and downs, but nothing too bad. The vista's are worth it! If you start on Slate Run Road and hike counter clockwise,(that's how the guide book and map are set up) you'll have a small river crossing 5 minutes into it. Nothing major. There are also a couple of other places to start on Rte.44. There are many great campsites on this trail. The map shows them. I don't remember ever having trouble finding water. If you can't find the map and guide book, you're more then welcome to borrow mine.

Toolshed
01-30-2009, 22:52
I'd be glad to jump in. Have led at least a dozen BP trips on it over the past coupla decades, as well as hiked, snowshoed and BP'd it many times more. Still remains a favorite of mine.

As was mentioned, reach out to Chuck Dillon at Pine Creek Outfitters. He carries the Tiaghdaghton Firefighters Guide as well as a Waterproof map-set with elevation profiles. Chuck has also authored a number of books on trails in the region and offers a wealth of knowledge.

OK, so the trail itself is 42 1/4 miles long. It is essentially a large loop with many jutting fingers of mountains on the East Side and essentially an almost flat walk on the West Side of Rte 44. and is centered more or less around the village of Black Forest. The best spot for supplies is Wolfe's General Store in the Village of Slate Run at the south end and there is a great bar there - Hotel Manor, which burned down a couple of years ago, but was recently rebuilt (at least as of 2006) - There is also BF Inn in BF Village.

'kay, so. Now what?? Well Once you a map in front of you,
Orientate yourself to Slate Run. Most folks start either here, or just S of BF Village at Trout Run road, Where the Baldwin GasLine runs through.

If you start at Slate Run, There is very good car camping about 3/4 mile N of the village on Slate Run Road. You will park at a wide spot near the BF sign and then grab your pack and hike 200 yards down to the BFT at Slate Run and camp in the beautiful flat soft pine needles along the murmuring creek.

So now you are ready to backpack. Since this is a primitive camping trail there are no shelters. There are, however many excellent campsites with water at many of the intersections of runs - a run is a stream that has cut through the mountains, though, these aren't really mountains, since the tops of them are actually the level of the land Consider the mountaintops as a large plateau many many miles long and wide, that averages around 2000 feet elevation. You will be hiking down into the eroded valleys when not on the plateau.

If you start at your carcamping spot and head S, (counter clockwise), you will cross Slate Run at Hotel Manor on an old footbridge and then climb the next few miles to a beautiful cliff where you can bask in views of the valley and have lunch. There is decent Night one camping near (MileMarker) MM 7, 8 or 9.5 (Dry spot).
Day two could take you to mile point 16 (very easy day with little hiking) where you can camp along a stream (Dyer run??) and then have a hike up to elevation first thing the next AM.
My next extremely favorite spot to camp is at MM 29 On top of Hemlock Mountain - Dry, so Pack your water. This is an incredible vista and one wonderfully flat spot to sleep and look out over the world.
From here on are a lot of steep ups and downs. you drop into the Pine Creek Area not far from your car, Hike past a nice Waterfall, and head back up to the Gasline Trail, There are an incredible number of Vistas along this section.
Camp either at the Confluence of Slate Run MM35 - Incredible campsite along the creek junctions or continue just past Fosters Hollow at a Pond, Around MM 39. (Watch the Rattlers, they are everywhere here). Your final day is an easy jaunt down back down to Slate Run and your car.

You can do this in 3 or 4 days. I prefer 4 days -especially if it is very hot out, which sometimes happens in April if there are no leaves out. It can also be very cold at night there in April. Again there are a lot of very steep ups and downs, but the trails are pretty nice with many switchbacks (and with some erosion only in the steepest of sections).

There are Rattlers in this area - I have run into them on at least half of the times I have been there. Sometimes multiple snakes in the spring on warm days.

So I have listed my favorite campsites. Let me know if you have any questions once you get your guide. As you can probably tell, this (and many other Northern PA hiking trails) are places that I love.
Also, no Mud, No bugs and usually clear skies (Which is a welcome relief when compared to my other love, the Adirondacks)

PS, if you need to bail, there are many old lumber roads, Hiking Trails, XC Ski Trails, Tote Roads and several Shay Railroad lines that connect throughout the area as you will see. Odds are, during the week, you will meet no one, save perhaps a bunch of very nice white haired elderly hikers from the Susquhannock Trail Club.

Joe8484
01-30-2009, 23:44
A quick google search will provide more information but John's site has a topo and profile maps I believe along with a small journal.

http://www.johnfegy.com/hiking/bforest.html

Cookerhiker
08-20-2009, 17:46
Pine Creek Outfitters (Wellsboro, PA) advertises the guide on the web page (www.pinecrk.com (http://www.pinecrk.com)). If you want to call, their number is (570) 724-3003.

I'm planning to hike the Black Forest Trail just before attending the ALDHA Gathering. I visited the above website and ordered the guidebook/map which is a 2009 edition.

Thanks to those on this thread who have provided links.

What about the safety of leaving a car at the trailhead for 4-5 days?

Joe8484
08-20-2009, 19:13
I had no problems parking at the trail head for a couple of nights. It was a little tricky to find but after a little aimless driving I found it.

(I did stop for directions at the local Bed & Breakfast but they had no idea it about the trail.:rolleyes:)

Cookerhiker
08-27-2009, 22:13
Just received the new Black Forest Trail Guide by Chuck Dillon in today's mail from Pine Creek Outfitters. The guidebook is very detailed and the map seems easy to follow with marked water sources and campsites. It has both contours and an elevation profile.

Going in a little over a month and looking forward to it!

Cookerhiker
10-14-2009, 19:54
Trip Report - Black Forest Trail, Pennsylvania, October 6-9, 2009

Day 1 - Tuesday, October 6 - Campsite at Mile 9.95 - Camping the previous night at Bald Eagle State Park, I packed my tent soaking wet from the dew and fog and headed to the trailhead in Slate Run, PA. Northern Harrier was en-route from his home in SE PA. We arrived within 15 minutes of each other and started hiking at 10:40.

Trail began with a short steep descent through dense hemlocks to Slate Run where we forded. Harrier strode across but I elected to change to my crocs. We then began our longest single ascent of the entire hike: 1,300' in 2 miles to the ridgeline. Steep in some places, moderated in others. The forest was beautiful, reminding me of Harriman Park with its open airy atmosphere devoid of underbrush (that would change later) and large rocks. Part of it was through an old woods road. In a small length of trail, the trees varied from hemlocks and white pines to oaks to maples and at the highest point, white birches. Footing-wise, the terrain was easy and the weather was predominantly sunny in the low 50s.

After reaching the ridgeline, we had 3 ½ miles of virtually level, easy terrain. After one brief stretch of rock fields, we cam upon a viewpoint from which we could see ahead to our next day-and-a-half with the deep contours marking Red Run, Morris Run, and Slate Run cutting into the ridge. It seemed like all this country was of 2 elevations - either a consistent ridgeline at about 1,800-2,000' or the valleys & gorges cut by the various creeks and runs.

At the viewpoint we recognized blueberry bushes with their leaves having turned a dark crimson. Much to our surprise and delight, they were - inexplicable to us - festooned with blueberries! So we lingered to feast on this unexpected treat; I guess a form of "Trail Magic" made by nature, not humans.

Leaving the viewpoint, we faced a steep descent to Red Run - not only steep but very rocky, the kind of slope I’d have preferred to go uphill especially since some of the rocks were loose and ankle-twisting. Of course, this was followed by an ascent back up to the ridgeline, an ascent I welcomed. Our intended campsite was at 2,000' and reportedly had water. Well, the water was there but rather marginal. The bigger challenge though was finding trees for bearbagging our food. We had seen bear scat throughout the hike, some of it quite fresh. I found a tree about 100 yards down the Trail.

Sun was gradually becoming less visible as cloud cover moved in, first thin but rapidly thickening. We expect rain tonight. With the forest still dense (mixture of evergreens and hardwoods), it was dark by 7.

We had finished eating and were in our tents when the rain started. It was quite heavy - before I fell asleep, I felt water through the bottom of my tent and lined it with my pack cover and tent bag to minimize my sleeping bag becoming too wet.

Wednesday, October 7 - Campsite at Mile 22.7 Baldwin Run - The rain was quite hard and steady, followed by very strong winds. I couldn’t tell whether the winds were blowing raindrops off the leaves or whether it was still raining as 6 AM approached. Only when I emerged from the tent was it apparent that it was just the wind.

Harrier’s tent had also gotten wet inside and worse for him, he has a down bag. I almost brought my summer down bag but switched at the last minute to my winter bag. While the winds and moist atmosphere made my hands freeze as usual in the morning, it was not real cold. Before we left, the sun shone briefly through thin clouds.

All day the winds were strong. So sometimes we had sun and skies with good visibility, sometimes with menacing-looking clouds. But it never rained. I suppose the strong winds kept any system or front moving along rapidly.

Today was by design a very easy day hiking-wise. A practically level trail was punctuated only once by an ascent of any measure - 500' later in the day. There’s now more of a forest understory than our first day with ferns and mountain laurel soaking our legs. The temperature probably didn’t exceed the low 50s and wind made things colder but nothing to deter our enjoyment of the hike.

Like most forests in the East, much of the woods is second generation. Today we passed through one of several so-called "pine plantations." Also there were Norway spruces which are not native; they were planted by the CCC in the 1930s.

One fun highlight was crossing County Line Branch 18 times - it reminded me of Jeremy’s Run in Shenandoah NP. As we were proceeding downstream, the creek widened making each crossing progressively more challenging. After the last crossing came our only ascent of the day - not very taxing despite the Guidebook’s description of it as "steep." We had been descending gradually over 5 miles; now we regained that elevation loss in less than one mile.

We reached our final destination campsite early, before 3. This was by design because originally today’s forecast called for rain. As it turned out, we could use the extra time to dry our stuff out somewhat, especially Harrier’s sleeping bag. And we wanted a longer day tomorrow which is supposed to be sunny. Well, the winds were not too helpful to dry things out completely.

Unlike last night, this campsite had better water (from Baldwin Run) but there wasn’t much room for our tents. Good thing no one else is out. In 2 days now we have yet to meet any hikers, either backpackers or day-hikers.

Despite the winds, it’s not real cold. We can see the moon tonight and anticipate a beautiful day tomorrow.

Thursday, October 8 - Campsite at Mile 36 along Little Slate Run - Nope. We saw the sun all right behind a thin cloud cover behind which it remained all day. Now it wasn’t real cold but we received little if any warmth from the sun.

The other problem was I felt queasy when I awoke and was mysteriously weak all day, a day in which by design (because of a favorable weather forecast) we had our greatest amount of elevation gain and loss. So while I normally lead on the uphills, Harrier had to go first because I was so slow. Even the first easy 500' was a chore.

And then there was the Callahan Run; a steep & rocky descent was followed by a long steep ascent (about 900') which took me forever. At least the top provided a few viewpoints. After an all-too-brief level stretch, we began a brutally steep descent down to Naval Run followed by another ascent followed by a steep descent, brief ascent to switch watersheds, and a final descent to Little Slate Run.

One highlight today was the porcupine Harrier treed. He scampered up in full view, exposing a rump that looked like someone had taken a big bite. Perhaps a bear somewhere has a mouthful of quills? It’s the second time on a PA hike that we’re encountered a porkie, having seen one on our Laurel Highlands Trail hike in March ‘08 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=221961).

A word about foliage: we’re seeing everything. Some slopes are still entirely green, some are entirely changed, some are mottled. With the recent strong rain and winds, lots of colorful leaves are already down. Many leaves are 2-toned with a green center surrounded by a delicate yellow or red edge. Unfortunately I’ve lost my camera so no photos for this hike.

More bear scat today but no other signs of the furry creatures.
At Little Slate Run, the Trail turned upstream where we reached our campsite for the night in a few tenths of a mile. Good water, decent site but I foolishly neglected to notice that my tent was pitched over a protruding root hidden by the leaves. Oh well, I still slept well. I hoped I’d feel better tomorrow.

Never got real cold tonight; if anything the temperatures seemed to rise. The partly-visible sun was gone for good before 5. Definitely feels like rain later.

Friday, October 9 - Mile 42.4 - End of Trail - Heard the rain periodically throughout the night - not hard with strong winds like our first night but very consistent. So this morning we had to pack up and eat breakfast in the rain. Having my pack inside the tent with me, I packed it as much as I could including stuffing the sleeping bag inside before emerging in the rain.
But it’s not cold at all. My fingers are usually easily susceptible to frostbite but not this morning; it must have been over 50. Anyway, I felt much better this morning and immediately took the lead on our initial ascent. What the heck was wrong yesterday?!

Today’s 6 miles was roughly half level and half hills. The rain fell off to drizzle and then mist but I kept my rain pants on; the ferns, blueberries, and mountain laurel were soaking my legs. The final descent was very steep on a trail very prone to erosion as well as very conducive to falling if you’re not careful. I’m glad I use poles. It seemed like the counterclockwise direction we took on this loop featured descents much steeper and more difficult than the ascents even though overall, it’s the same no matter what direction you hike. My impression is that the Guidebook author assumes that one would rather hike downhill than uphill, hence the counterclockwise description. Me, I’d hike it in reverse the next time.

It was in our last mile just before the road that we finally met some hikers - 4 young guys starting out in the clockwise direction. They were likely facing lousy weather the first 2 days. More power to them.

After an anticlimatic last mile through another pine plantation along an old railroad bed, the hike ended at 11 AM. Harrier headed straight home. After a trip to Wellsboro for lunch, it was on to the Gathering in Gettysburg. I stayed in a motel that night to dry out my stuff.

Terraducky
10-14-2009, 21:37
Thanks for the nice report! I look forward to this trail!

backwaterugly
10-22-2009, 18:01
will be hiking this trail before the leaves fall

Terraducky
10-22-2009, 18:59
Well, you better hurry....the "fall" is happening as we dream about hikling!

Pootz
05-24-2010, 14:34
I will be hiking the BFT this weekend. I am looking forward to this hike, the BFT has been on my list for a long time. Anyone been on the trail lately, anything new I should be aware of?

Toolshed
05-24-2010, 14:59
Cookerhiker - I didnt' see your trip report from last year until today. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I really enjoyed it.

Pootz - I neeed to head to the Corning Area for the weekend. If I get the bug, I might get on the trail for aa dayhike, though I have no confirmed plans as of yet. Odds are you will see very few folks out there, but if you see a guy with a yellow daypack, that'll likely be me!! :)

Pootz
05-24-2010, 15:04
Hope to see you out there. We may have more people on the trail since it is memorial day weekend?

Toolshed
05-24-2010, 17:52
Hope to see you out there. We may have more people on the trail since it is memorial day weekend?
It's unlikely that you'll see more than a couple of people. The most I have ever seen were about 11 senior citizens dayhiking on a weekday from the Susquhannock Trail Club). and once we ran into a group of about 8-9 college students earning a gym/fitness credit by backpacking for a weekend. Other than that it is a onesy or twosey here and there.
There would likely be more on the trail around the second - third week of june, enjoying the Mountain Laurel blossoms.

Panzer1
05-24-2010, 22:08
since route 44 cuts the trail at 2 points you can hang a food stash at one point and start hiking at the other point.

I remember one time I hiked this trail and didn't see my first person until day 5. (if you don't count people driving past in cars)
There are trail registers so you will have a good sense of how many others are on the trail with you.

also, bears are active here, I've run into them while on this trail.
During hunting season there are many hunters here especially during deer season.

the BFT trail is not rocky like the AT. You will actually be hiking on dirt.

Panzer

Pootz
05-25-2010, 08:39
We wil be sure to take proper care of our food, I do not like to share my food with anyone. I will post a trip report next week. Thanks for all of the information.

bustedchucks
06-03-2010, 12:43
I will post a trip report next week. Thanks for all of the information.

I'm waiting:D. I'm interested in this trail and so would be grateful to read a recent trip report.

dan213
06-08-2010, 22:37
starting this trail on thursday. will post trail conditions/pics next week.

Cookerhiker
06-09-2010, 08:38
starting this trail on thursday. will post trail conditions/pics next week.

Which direction are you hiking - clockwise or counterclockwise?

I expect the ford near the trailhead will be wetter than when I hiked last Fall.

dan213
06-09-2010, 14:30
Which direction are you hiking - clockwise or counterclockwise?

I expect the ford near the trailhead will be wetter than when I hiked last Fall.

i've read that it's better to do counterclockwise but it really makes no difference to me.

Toolshed
06-09-2010, 16:44
i've read that it's better to do counterclockwise but it really makes no difference to me.
I agree with Counterclockwise if you are doing the whole trail. Saves the best parts for later in the hike...

Pootz
06-09-2010, 18:03
Sorry for the delayed trip report. We completed our thru hike of the BFT memorial Day weekend. Great Trail. We started at slate run and went counter clock wise, this is the way the trail guide is written and I feel the best way to hike the trail. there are a couple of very steep section that I think were easier going down then up. The map and trail guide accurate and very well done. There was camping and water everywhere the guide noted. The following is a link to our pictures an dour trip report:

http://community.webshots.com/album/577908930HqMCdM (http://community.webshots.com/album/577908930HqMCdM)

Day 1: Friday May 28th, Mile 0.0 to 6.70

Got on the trail around 4 pm. This first section of the trail was very nice with several views. The first thing you encounter is the crossing of slate run at mile .32. We had to take off our hiking shoes to avoid wet shoes this early. Easy crossing, if I had known I would have hiked in my crocs to this point. The trail then started a long slow steady climb to mile 2.21. Somewhere in this first section there was a really neat walk through through an exposed Rock formation, cliff on one side. At mile 3.04 there is a spring to the right of the trail that had plenty of water, we drank right from the spring, very nice cold water. The next 3 or 4 miles were pretty easy flat hiking with a couple more nice views. We stopped at the view point at mile 5.24 and had our dinner. During dinner we discovered flies, big black annoying flies, they did not bite but they made up for it in sheer number, they were everywhere. At mile 6.17 we started our somewhat steep decent to down to the intersection of the left and right forks of Red Run. Lots of nice small waterfalls in this section. There are a couple good camping spots around mile 6.70, we camped in the first spot. Very nice spot right by the stream. A small fire entertained us until "hiker midnight" or 9:00 pm arrived. We did not see any other hikers our first day.

Day 2: Saturday May 29th, mile 6.70 to 22.63, 15.93 miles!

Up early on day 2 due to our desire to hike 15.93 miles. Our spirits were very high after a great first day as we looked forward to the trail today. Nice climb out of Red Run up to Route 44 Mile 13.22, a few nice views. We had a food cache at route 44, did not really need a food cache but it gave me something to do on Thursday. At mile 13.67 you start a slow decent along the stream with 20 crossings. I was able to keep my feet mostly dry in this section and had a good time crossing the stream. M&M changed shoes for the last few crossings. I need to mention that when we parked M&M's car at the trail head on Friday there was a car with the license plate GA-ME 06 which is pretty interesting since M&M's license plate is GAME 07. We looked forward to finding this hiker, M&M and I hiked the AT in 07. M&M had a feeling we had found the car owner when we approached a couple and the guy was wearing a kilt, and she was right. The car belonged to Cheese-Whiz. I had met Cheese-Whiz at the PA ruck in 07. Always great to run into hikers from the AT. After crossing the stream for the last time the trail took back the elevation lost over the last 5 miles in the next mile. Not a bad hill, what goes down must go up. At mile 21.5 we met up with a group of 6 hikers, 3 from Germany. You never know who you will meet while hiking. Great group that we camped near the next 2 nights. Mile 22.63 brought us to Yellow Jacket Hollow, a small stream and camp for the night. We shared a small fire with the group of hikers we had just met. Great day of hiking.

Day 3: Mile 22.63 to 35.82, 13.19 miles.

Day 3 would prove to be the hardest of our 4 day hike both physically and mentally. The day started with a nice hike out of Yellow Jacket hollow, we did not see any Yellow Jackets and I was glad this section did not live up to its name. Mile 23.61 brought us back to route 44 for the last time and to our second food cache. The trail then descends into the valley of callahan run. At Mile 26.99 the trail climbs out of the valley and along the right fork of Callahan run. This is where the day started to go bad for me. I should mention that I did not bring the legs to my zip off shorts, a decision that would not play out well during this section and 1 other. The trail along callahan run was lined with nettles. To say my legs were itchy by the time I got through this section would be a gross understatement. It was a very nice section for anyone wearing pants, I refer to these people as the smart and properly prepared. The flies would also return for the rest of the day and it seemed to take them seconds to find you if you stopped for anything. At mile 29.50 the trail reaches the top of Hemlock Mountain after a short but steep final section. The vista at mile 29.57 was an ok reward for the effort. Mile 29.72 starts the steep decent into Naval Run. At Mile 31.45 we came to our last food cache. Mile 31.56 starts the steep accent out of Navel run. The vistas starting at mile 32.56 were very nice. Mile 35 began our steep decent to Little Slate run and our camping spot for the night. We finished this section by 3:30 pm. Our day was quickened by the relentless flies, you could not stop with out them landing all over you. As long as you kept moving they left you alone. We found it more restful to just slow down than to stop and sit down. As soon as we got to camp I started a small fire that proved to keep the flies and other bugs away. Cooling off in the stream washed away the hard parts of the day and left us with only good feelings. We did not even make it to hiker midnight tonight. Amazing how early you can go to bed after a day of hiking.

Day 4: mile 35.82 to 42.44 the end of the trail. 6.62 miles.

Our last day on the trail was good. Hiking in the cool of the morning is always nice. Mile 40.14 brought us to, in my opinion, the best overlook on the entire trail. It is an open 180 degree view on a spine like rock outcropping overlooking big Slate Run. At Mile 41.04 the trail intersects the Slate run forestry road where there are no trail markers. I went left and M&M went right, she found the trail just around the bend in the road. Other than this one spot the trail is very well marked. the last mile is pretty flat and easy.

I had looked forward to hiking the BFT for a long time and enjoyed the trail very much. Along the way we encountered lots of views, streams, camping spots, Mountain Laurel just starting to bloom and many miles of great trail. I highly recommend this trail for a 3-4 day outing.

Toolshed
06-09-2010, 20:20
Pootz - Thanks for the nice trip report. I apologize - I should have mentioned the stinging nettles along Callahan run. they are brutal for almost the full ength up. If you ever get back there in the future, There is a short cut to Hemlock Mountain avoid going down into Callahan Run - Called "The Old Cutoff Trail" - PM me if you are interested and I can give you the details.
cheers...

Pootz
06-10-2010, 09:05
I should have mentioned the stinging nettles along Callahan run. they are brutal for almost the full length up.

Toolshed , no need to apologize, it is my fault for not being prepared. I had the legs to my shorts in my hand just prior to leaving for the trail and choose not to take them. What I ended up doing was wrapping my bandannas around my legs. We had a great time on this trail.

Cookerhiker
06-10-2010, 10:00
Brings back memories Pootz - not only of my BF trail hike last fall but your description of the nettles which I suffered through when I started the Allegheny Trail a few weeks ago.

ki0eh
06-10-2010, 10:53
That's not the only trail in the PA Wilds with nettles. Always different trip reports from those who wear long pants in summer from those who don't. :D

Cookerhiker
06-10-2010, 11:00
Looks like we camped in near the same places on our 2nd and 3rd nights.

Pootz
06-11-2010, 11:17
Looks like we camped in near the same places on our 2nd and 3rd nights.

There are lots of great camping spots on this trail. My light weight pack will have to endure a couple ounces to accommodate pant legs.

simon
08-12-2010, 19:52
Hi, very informative link. My son and I are planning to hike this August 23rd. Are there anyone i need to contact when i park at Slate Run? Does anyone know how the water is running?

Toolshed
08-12-2010, 21:54
Unless something changed recently, you don't need to contact anyone, however, you might want to call or stop at either Denton Hill forestry office or the Cross Forks forestry office and let them know you are on the trail and where you will be parked as well as your license plate and vehicle description. There once was a trail register down the Slate Run side trail near where it junctions the BFT. I don't know if it is still there.
I was at Tioga last week and water was running well there. I have never seen any of the runs dry on the BFT over the past 20 some odd years, though.

simon
08-25-2010, 15:30
Finished the Black Forest Trail yesterday. What a beautiful trail with lots of vista's. Ran into one rattler but he was friendly. Thanks everyone for your trip reports. They helped me find the wonderful camping spot up high on one of the peaks.

pattydivins
08-26-2010, 21:06
I plan on starting this trail 08/29 and finishing 09/01. Will anyone else be out there? Simon, what campsite are you talking about specifically?

Toolshed
08-27-2010, 14:05
I plan on starting this trail 08/29 and finishing 09/01. Will anyone else be out there? Simon, what campsite are you talking about specifically?
I'm willing to bet he is referring to Hemlock Mountain - Between Callahan runs and Naval Run off Trout Run Road. Dry Campsite, but incredible views of Pine Creek.

simon
08-28-2010, 09:20
Yes Toolshed that is exactly where i meant. I didn't see the campsite listed in my trail guide but read about it here on the trip reports.

scottminot
08-28-2010, 15:08
Where can I get a trail guide for the BFT?

Toolshed
08-28-2010, 15:21
Where can I get a trail guide for the BFT?

Pine Creek Outfitters (Wellsboro, PA) advertises the guide on the web page (www.pinecrk.com (http://www.pinecrk.com/)). If you want to call, their number is (570) 724-3003.
See DGG's post (Quoted above)

simon
08-28-2010, 18:59
I obtained my guide book at my local outfitters.

Chenango
09-21-2010, 14:43
LoneWolf55 and I just finished hiking the BFT yesterday. What a gorgeous trail! This is a real gem in central PA.

Although I carried the guide book, I did not need it. The map was sufficient. I did read the guide for some background info on the various spots on the trail, i.e., how it was named.

Although water sources were low, I always found water.

Great trail. I highly recommend it.

Toolshed
09-21-2010, 16:33
Chenango - You're pretty close to there too - I'd highly recommend the PA Grand Canyon/West Rim Trail during the 2nd week of June during Mountain Laurel Bloom, and also the Susquehannock Trail System (and the connectors to the BFT) as circuit hikes as well.

ki0eh
09-21-2010, 18:29
Or you could hike there from home on a couple of connecting trails (Long Branch from BFT to WRT, a bit of West Rim Trail to Bohen Trail) to the Mid State, Crystal Hills, and Finger Lakes trails too! :)

Penn-J
09-21-2010, 18:38
Chenango, I also hiked the Black Forrest Trail this past Labor Day weekend. (For the second time) It's a great trail! I saw my first wild bobcat!

Chenango
09-22-2010, 08:18
Chenango, I also hiked the Black Forrest Trail this past Labor Day weekend. (For the second time) It's a great trail! I saw my first wild bobcat!

I would love to see a bobcat. I saw one once in SNP. These are beautiful animals.

Chenango
09-22-2010, 08:20
Or you could hike there from home on a couple of connecting trails (Long Branch from BFT to WRT, a bit of West Rim Trail to Bohen Trail) to the Mid State, Crystal Hills, and Finger Lakes trails too! :)

What a maze of trails. I have hiked the West Rim Trail, BFT, and parts of the Finger Lakes Trail. So many trails; so little time! lol

Penn-J
02-24-2013, 11:06
I know this is an old thread but, I was wondering where I could get a Black Forest Trail patch.
I've been putting patches from trails I have hiked on a bullatin board, but I cant seem to find this one.

Thanks.

hal0ofwint3r
02-24-2013, 11:14
penn-j, here's a link where you can order a patch:

http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=147&Itemid=65

Penn-J
02-24-2013, 12:09
penn-j, here's a link where you can order a patch:

http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=147&Itemid=65

Thanks, I'll check it out.