PDA

View Full Version : Special Items

ibigler5
01-30-2009, 21:23
I was wondering how readily available alcohol is on the trail or in trail towns? And if it is available, do they card or are they strict on carding?

And how available is chewing tobacco such as skoal on the trail?

SGT Rock
01-30-2009, 21:28
Skoal is easier to get than alcohol. Beer is easier to get than Bourbon.

I mail dropped bourbon to myself. The only food item I did have sent.

smokymtnsteve
01-30-2009, 21:44
is it legal to mail alkyhol???

I know its illegal to mail alkyhol in AK.

but me being a gram weine..I'll just keep going lightweight:eek:

Howdy rock ...

SGT Rock
01-30-2009, 21:54
Howdy Steve. I imagine your stuff wouldn't past muster fo sho.

ibigler5
01-30-2009, 22:03
But do you think they are strict with id's or will they just let me buy beer no problem?

KG4FAM
01-30-2009, 22:07
plenty of folks out there over 21.

SGT Rock
01-30-2009, 22:07
Strict with IDs.

Gaiter
01-30-2009, 22:17
its illegal to mail over state lines w/o paying additional taxes on it, woops won't be the first law i've broken

Gaiter
01-30-2009, 22:28
there are plenty of hikers that are over 21, hint hint

from the areas i've hiked, most towns will have beer except for a few dry counties, larger towns will have liquor too

there is always the mail, just don't open your package right in front of the postmaster hold up the alcohol and yell 'i have alcohol' or somehting like that

chewing tobacco: have you seen someone w/ cancer of the jaw?? it aint pretty, and even if you are already ulgy (not saying you are) it will still not be an improvement. make your own choice, but be sure its a wise one (notice i'm not discouraging tobacco just chewing it)

Blissful
01-30-2009, 22:57
I see your age is listed as 19. Should you be asking this if you are not of legal age to purchase these products in certain states or if you deceive the people selling them to you, thereby risking jail time or fines for them because of dishonesty?
:eek:

Deadeye
01-30-2009, 23:18
Ahhh... when I was 19, the drinking age was 18, but then again we had the draft. Count your blessings and wait a while.

ibigler5
01-30-2009, 23:23
I wasnt implying that I would breaking the law in any way... I was just curious

randyg45
01-30-2009, 23:26
I'm an 18-year-sober alcoholic.
When I was 19 and going into the army my #1 worry was how I was going to get alcohol in boot camp.
So sad.

Nest
01-31-2009, 00:48
Definately don't risk trying to buy. A lot of places will card. For example, TN law says they have to card a 90 year old man and even the backwoods taverns that are 15 miles off the trail will card.

Marta
01-31-2009, 07:09
Definately don't risk trying to buy. A lot of places will card. For example, TN law says they have to card a 90 year old man and even the backwoods taverns that are 15 miles off the trail will card.

This TN law irritates my 80-year-old dad to no end.

Also, in TN you cannot have wine shipped to you, by wine clubs.

You Tennesseans sure are a sober bunch!:rolleyes:

Gaiter
01-31-2009, 10:23

GA likes to card too, saw a lady in a grocery store who had to be in her upper 60s get carded for cigarettes, she didn't have her id, they didn't sell them to her

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2009, 10:40
You're 19, you can't legally buy alky. Surely you've already dealt with this problem, just look for a wino and make a deal...any 14 y/o knows this, where have you been? Of course maybe us 14 y/o's were just smarter back in my day.

Ramble~On
01-31-2009, 10:52

Bootleggers don't like competition!

"Free Popcorn Sutton!"

Not everyone selling "Licka" in TN cares about ID...if you've got federally issued ID with the face of Jackson, Grant or Franklin on it....that's id 'nough.

superman
01-31-2009, 13:07
When I was 19 and going into the army my #1 worry was how I was going to get alcohol in boot camp.
So sad.

When I enlisted in "65" at 18 years old I was amazed to find that they had EM clubs just for us...wa hoo!
Happy TET!:banana

STEVEM
01-31-2009, 17:56
About a month ago I bought a can of denatured alcohol at the local Walmart. The cash register went into alarm mode after the cashier scanned the can. She looked at me and asked jokingly if I was over 21. Then said "I guess kids must drink this stuff."

mudhead
01-31-2009, 18:07
Backyard chemistry ingredient. Probably had a screen pop up about quantity, and was just making a funny to you.

daddytwosticks
01-31-2009, 19:31
The Ingles grocery store checkout scanners in western NC will go into alarm mode when beer/wine is scanned. Then some 17 year old HS chick asks you your birthday...you'll be busted (carded) for sure.

Kanati
02-01-2009, 16:42
When I enlisted in "65" at 18 years old I was amazed to find that they had EM clubs just for us...wa hoo!

You enlisted. My service number begins with US

randyg45
02-01-2009, 16:49

I didn't go in until 1970... just as happy I left Tet to better men.

What amazed me when I got to my first permanent duty station was the beer machines in the barracks....

Mongoose2
02-01-2009, 17:03
I didn't go in until 1970... just as happy I left Tet to better men.

What amazed me when I got to my first permanent duty station was the beer machines in the barracks....

Randy, when I enlisted in '79 they still had em!

SGT Rock
02-01-2009, 17:08
In 85 we had one in Germany.

Smile
02-01-2009, 17:38
Why risk ruining your hike or someone else's? You'll blink and be 35 before you even know it :)

Gaiter
02-01-2009, 18:34
About a month ago I bought a can of denatured alcohol at the local Walmart. The cash register went into alarm mode after the cashier scanned the can. She looked at me and asked jokingly if I was over 21. Then said "I guess kids must drink this stuff."

Its used to cook meth, a lot of places have put restrictions on it: how much you can buy and how often u buy it

Mongoose2
02-01-2009, 18:41
Rock; no beer vending machines when I was at Ramstein....if they had Bitburger in those I would have stayed drunk!

Dogwood
02-01-2009, 19:19
Just a thought - R U hiking or going on a drug binge? I know - some hikers confuse the two. If U want sometning bad enough U can get it.

C-Bass
02-03-2009, 18:53
Hey man i did 700 miles from Springer to Catawba. And im 20 now but was 19 at the time I never got carded at any place i went to (grow a beard) thats all i can say

ibigler5
02-03-2009, 19:02
Thanks C-Bass thats the help I was lookin for

Jack Tarlin
02-03-2009, 19:03
They're usually pretty strict.

I got carded a few years ago in Hiawassee. Clerk had problems figuring out my ID, I'm not sure that he'd ever heard of "Massachusetts." Trying to be helpful, I pointed out the Date Of Birth. He still had trouble. So I said, "Um, Eisenhower administration, OK?"

It was obvious he'd never heard of Eisenhower, either.

By the time I got my beer, I was the better part of a year older.

OutdoorsMan
02-03-2009, 20:47
I see your age is listed as 19. Should you be asking this if you are not of legal age to purchase these products in certain states or if you deceive the people selling them to you, thereby risking jail time or fines for them because of dishonesty?
:eek:

I realize that there are laws but if the guy is old enough to go to Iraq or Afghanistan then he should be able to drink a beer (in my opinion). Furthermore, it would seem difficult to hike the AT and consume lots of alcohol.

little_daddy979
02-10-2009, 23:06
i went to school at Young Harris over by Hiawasee, and as long the (fake?) ID is close the gas stations will be ok with it. since you are 18 though, you may want to consider legal herbal 'enhancers' if you are looking to alter your vision a bit. They are also a lot lighter and pack much smaller, which should be of primary importance. Salvia and Red Dawn are a few that come to mind. Beer is a great way to get extra calories though...

Best of luck on your hunt

Dyadya Tim
02-11-2009, 10:10
Just remember that if you buy, its not just you that gets in trouble, so does the business. If you get someone else to buy for you, you may also get them in some serious trouble. National Forests and parks, not only is it breaking state laws, but also federal laws, and when it comes to Alcohol and drugs, these are felony charges.

Kanati
02-11-2009, 14:12
Hey man i did 700 miles from Springer to Catawba. And im 20 now but was 19 at the time I never got carded at any place i went to (grow a beard) thats all i can say

Last March while recovering from shin splints I decided to make a penny alky stove to lighten my pack. I stopped at a convenience store in Jackson, TN to purchase a 6 pack of Heniken as the directions call for that type can. The counter guy asked for my ID. I chuckled as I was 61 years old at the time and had a white beard.

He said it was a TN law that "anyone buying alcoholic beverages in Tennessee had to show ID and the store clerk had to ask for it". I don't know if he was correct but that's what he told me and I had to show my DL.

So ridiculous it humorous.

Nest
02-11-2009, 23:31
Last March while recovering from shin splints I decided to make a penny alky stove to lighten my pack. I stopped at a convenience store in Jackson, TN to purchase a 6 pack of Heniken as the directions call for that type can. The counter guy asked for my ID. I chuckled as I was 61 years old at the time and had a white beard.

He said it was a TN law that "anyone buying alcoholic beverages in Tennessee had to show ID and the store clerk had to ask for it". I don't know if he was correct but that's what he told me and I had to show my DL.

So ridiculous it humorous.

Yup, it's the law. The cops even occasionally go in and buy to see if they ask for ID. They've also sent in minors to see if they will sell to them. If they break the law the store has to pay a fine, loses it's beer license for a year, and the clerk usually gets fired for screwing up. I think it's because the law loosly said that if they appear to be under 35 you had to ID them. An appearance of age is based too much on judgement, and won't hold up when trying to pull licenses, and charge fines. A 12 year old could buy beer, and a cop couldn't prove that I didn't think they were atleast 35? Instead of dealing with corporate lawyers that would fight this and win every time, they made the law black and white. Silly but necessary.

CrumbSnatcher
03-16-2009, 22:53
its truely a sad day. popcorn sutton passed away today.

McKeever
03-17-2009, 00:05
If you can't figure out beer and skoal....there are higher priorities. Do yourself a favor and skip the beer and skoal this time out and focus on the trail and what your want to learn and accomplish. You will never regret finding something more constructive to do with your time and what you gain from it.

McKeever
03-17-2009, 00:08
So sad.

Thanks you for sharing this here and for your service and accomplishments overcoming drinking.