PDA

View Full Version : Ms Janet's Hostel

Ron Haven
01-31-2009, 01:20
Ms Janet stopped by last week for a couple of days and I showed her some plans for the new hostel.I said this would be a great thing to see you back doing what you love to do.Working with hikers once again.She told me she was going to Florida and get a nice sun tan and think about it.

:-? :sun :-? :sun :-? :sun :-? :sun :-? :sun :-? :sun :-? :sun :-? :sun :-?

She said don't say anything because I want time to think about it myself without opinions.I said that is the way it will be.Well I got the call and she said ":banana:banana:banana"how does having it open for business March 1st sound?I said sounds great.She replied announce it on Whiteblaze and see what they all think.

Desert Reprobate
01-31-2009, 01:25
Sounds like a win, win, win situation to me. She wins, you win, and we all win. Good news.

Gaiter
01-31-2009, 01:29
(CENSORED WORD)ING AWESOME!!!!!:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana
:banana:banana:banana

Tin Man
01-31-2009, 01:38
:sunFAN-tastic :sun

sbennett
01-31-2009, 01:44
That sounds pretty big time! Just so I'm in the know, is this the new hostel close to Stecoah Gap referenced in your other thread?

Lilred
01-31-2009, 02:07
Hot DAMN!! This is AWESOME news!!

Sly
01-31-2009, 02:08
That sounds pretty big time! Just so I'm in the know, is this the new hostel close to Stecoah Gap referenced in your other thread?

I think they're talking about in Franklin, near the Budget Inn.

Tennessee Viking
01-31-2009, 02:19
Hell yes!!! Taking any reservations yet...lol

I think there will be a caravan of people lining the roads on that day.
Build it and they shall come...

Serial 07
01-31-2009, 02:35
oh man...here comes that supernova of awesomeness...

paddler
01-31-2009, 02:37
great news cant wait to see it !!!

fehchet
01-31-2009, 06:13
Yes, yes, yes -- the best. Thanks Ron (Mr. Sweeney) -- you are the best too.

Marta
01-31-2009, 06:52
Great news! Thanks for announcing it. Thanks for doing it!

TOW
01-31-2009, 08:50
good pick ronnie!

MOWGLI
01-31-2009, 09:20
If Miss Janet is doing what she loves doing, I'm happy for her!

Lyle
01-31-2009, 09:43
Sounds GREAT. Does she need to get a CDL to drive the Short Bus? :D

:banana:banana:banana:banana

Red Hat
01-31-2009, 10:59
Hip, Hip, Hooray for both Ron and Miss Janet! I love it!!! Wow three choices in Franklin... how to choose?

Ron Haven
01-31-2009, 11:47
Hell yes!!! Taking any reservations yet...lol

I think there will be a caravan of people lining the roads on that day.
Build it and they shall come...We will have room for all:)

Great news! Thanks for announcing it. Thanks for doing it!We believe we can make a great team,thanks also

good pick ronnie!I believe you are right

Sounds GREAT. Does she need to get a CDL to drive the Short Bus? :D

:banana:banana:banana:bananayes but we have 3 vans also

Hip, Hip, Hooray for both Ron and Miss Janet! I love it!!! Wow three choices in Franklin... how to choose?With Miss Janet,The Apr Fool Bash, and the hikers we think they should put Franklin on the map.

I think they're talking about in Franklin, near the Budget Inn.Yes thats right Sly.

great news cant wait to see it !!!Paddler we feel the same way.Looking forward to seeing all of you.

SGT Rock
01-31-2009, 15:42
We gotta come visit that.

Rain Man
01-31-2009, 17:43
Sounds very great, but everyone seems to know what "new hostel" we're all talking about. I sure don't. So, what new hostel?

Again, sounds great wherever it is and especially if either Miss Janet or Ron is involved!

Rain:sunMan

Ron Haven
01-31-2009, 18:23
Sounds very great, but everyone seems to know what "new hostel" we're all talking about. I sure don't. So, what new hostel?

Again, sounds great wherever it is and especially if either Miss Janet or Ron is involved!

.In Franklin

Bearpaw
01-31-2009, 19:45
This is terrible, awful news for me. :eek:

Now I have to CHOOSE between staying at the Ron's Budget Inn or Ron's Hiker Hostel run by Miss Janet when I hike the Bartram Trail this year. ;)

Seriously though, will the shuttle schedule be similar to that of the Budget Inn?

River Runner
02-01-2009, 01:52
sorry double post

River Runner
02-01-2009, 01:52
Woo-hoo! Awesome news.

sir White Wolf
02-01-2009, 02:21
:banana
Sweet!
Im glad to hear it!

rambunny
02-01-2009, 12:46
Very Happy for both Ron and Ms. Janet and all of the trail community!!!! Tell them all to say hi when they pass thru Atkins. Bunny at Happy Hiker Hollow 276-783-3754

Jim Adams
02-01-2009, 18:14
Great news for all hikers! Thanks to both of you!!!!!!!

geek

Ron Haven
02-02-2009, 09:38
Great news for all hikers! Thanks to both of you!!!!!!!

geekThanks to all of you.

warraghiyagey
02-02-2009, 09:49
Superdoodle!!:sun:sun

Doctari
02-02-2009, 11:16
I'm happy! But I'm also sad, I is still heading NOBO sectioning & am already thru Franklin, sigh!

OH WELL! I'll be through on my thru in 2020! :p

Miss Janet
02-02-2009, 19:46
I appreciate Ronnie giving me an outlet for my rehab... My treatment for withdrawal from hiker's and all things AT was not going so well.

It will be a good change of scenery for me and I really look forward to working with Ronnie and Marcella this spring.

Miss Janet

Tinker
02-02-2009, 19:52
In order to love what you do, you must do what you love. :)

Congratulations!

Blissful
02-02-2009, 20:37
Hope you don't mind, but I'd still like to stay at your motel. :)

Lugnut
02-02-2009, 23:37
I appreciate Ronnie giving me an outlet for my rehab... My treatment for withdrawal from hiker's and all things AT was not going so well.

It will be a good change of scenery for me and I really look forward to working with Ronnie and Marcella this spring.

Miss Janet

REHAB! Did you miss it that much! :D
I know hiker aroma is supposed to be addicting, but really....

Gray Blazer
02-03-2009, 08:54
Cool!!!

eArThworm
02-03-2009, 13:55
Janet,

I hadn't checked WhiteBlaze yesterday, so I'm just
now finding out about the great news. You must
be VERY happy, and of course your fans are, too!

Lone Wolf
02-11-2009, 09:31

Miss Janet

over on the trailjournals forum KTR says janet will not be running ron's new hostel. what's up?

mtnkngxt
02-11-2009, 11:11
Sounds like he just hasn't heard the news. Or something could have happened. I'm sure Ron will chime in.

Ron Haven
02-11-2009, 11:21
Sounds like he just hasn't heard the news. Or something could have happened. I'm sure Ron will chime in.She is,I've not spoken to KTR in a while but I thought I told him she was.

mtnkngxt
02-11-2009, 12:43
Thanks Ron for the official word. Everyone can breathe again.:banana

Tennessee Viking
02-11-2009, 16:49
So whats the location of the new Haven&Janet enterprise to the trail?

Lone Wolf
02-11-2009, 16:50
across from the budget inn

Jester2000
02-13-2009, 21:12
Just heard the news, from my mom, if you can believe that. This is just plain good news. Congrats!

bfitz
02-19-2009, 02:33
Oh thank Haven! I just couldn't imagine hiking the trail without staying with Miss Janet!

bfitz
02-19-2009, 02:49

Miss Janet
Umm...I'm pretty sure this more resembles a relapse than rehab....but as they say, rehab is for quitters. Yay!!!!:sun

Pokey2006
02-19-2009, 03:24
So how will this work? Will the hostel be the lower-cost option to the motel? Or will the motel be for overflow, when the hostel is full? Or will people stay at the motel and mosey across the street for breakfast? Or, perhaps you're still working out the details?

Just wondering whether the hostel would interfere with the motel, or if the two will be able to successfully work in partnership with each other, without one hurting the other's business.

I like the name "The Haven," by the way. Good choice!

mweinstone
02-19-2009, 06:56
the great and powerful oz has made dorothy whole. now get clickkin woman. theirs no place like home.

damm homeless. should put em in hostles.

janet who? ........exactly.

franklin, haven,...and hensly?!

i made out with miss janet once. but she got mad cause i tryed to slip her the toung. bearpaws different. still,..this could all have been mine. saylave.

miss janets serving cheesy bread and tomatoe gravy and biscuts in my mind all the time. here she comes now with purple gravy!

oxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxomatty.

Dogwood
02-19-2009, 14:14
That's Grrrrreeeaaat!

Sly
02-19-2009, 14:21
So how will this work? Will the hostel be the lower-cost option to the motel? Or will the motel be for overflow, when the hostel is full? Or will people stay at the motel and mosey across the street for breakfast? Or, perhaps you're still working out the details?

Just wondering whether the hostel would interfere with the motel, or if the two will be able to successfully work in partnership with each other, without one hurting the other's business.

I like the name "The Haven," by the way. Good choice!

I imagine it could hurt the motel business but you may have more people staying over at a more affordable price for the hostel.

Is Miss Janet cooking breakfast? Seems like it would be a chore for the hostel and the motel.

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2009, 14:31
There will always be folks who'd rather stay by themselves at a motel, Sly, plus, the presence of a hostel in Franklin might inspire some folks to come into town and stay over who previously weren't planning on it. And also, with the addition of a less expensive place to stay (i.e. the hostel), some folks might even stay an extra day in town as they can now afford to do so.

So I can't see how Ron loses out here. There are plenty of folks who'll still patronize one of his fine motels, and while the hostel might draw some folks away from the motels, it'll also draw lots of folks who weren't go to stay in them anyway.

So everyone wins, Ron, Janet, and especially the 2009 hikers.

Sly
02-19-2009, 14:37
There will always be folks who'd rather stay by themselves at a motel, Sly, plus, the presence of a hostel in Franklin might inspire some folks to come into town and stay over who previously weren't planning on it. And also, with the addition of a less expensive place to stay (i.e. the hostel), some folks might even stay an extra day in town as they can now afford to do so.

So I can't see how Ron loses out here. There are plenty of folks who'll still patronize one of his fine motels, and while the hostel might draw some folks away from the motels, it'll also draw lots of folks who weren't go to stay in them anyway.

Hey Jack, you said in two paragraphs what I said in one sentence. :p

Lone Wolf
02-19-2009, 16:36
i love ron and janet but would never stay at either one of their hostels. i'll take a private room any day

Jim Adams
02-19-2009, 21:49
that just ROCKS!!!!!!!!

geek

mweinstone
02-20-2009, 06:37
sometimes gypsy likes to get freeky deeky.

mweinstone
02-20-2009, 06:41
lets all fill janets new hostle with crap. something like,......way too many of something. everyone must bring a new unopened sponge. after years of this practice,..she will have a sponge room to freek out in when hikers get on her case and she needs to rip sponges to get it all out. oh the good old days.

Miss Janet
02-20-2009, 15:21
I am pretty sure that Ron isn't worried about having an empty motel or this hostel hurting his hotel business! The Haven will only have 8-10 beds per night. I am sure that Ron is just wanting to add another option for a small number of hikers. We will try to offer a comfortable, friendly hostel "experience" for those that are interested.

... And , yes I will make some purple gravy on occasion!

Miss Janet
02-20-2009, 15:23
Lone Wolf has to give back his T-Shirt...

The Weasel
02-20-2009, 15:44
Fills a hole that the closure of Rainbow Springs left. Not quite as close to the trail, but that may make it harder for Bill Bryson to review it. Which isn't a bad thing.

Good luck and thanks!

TW

Miss Janet
02-24-2009, 13:24
I finally escaped from the warm, sandy clutches of the southernmost points of Florida... ah, I sure have snowbird genes!

I made it to Franklin and spent a few hours arranging furniture, cleaning and brainstorming. I will spend a few days here and then go to Erwin to see the fam and to pick up my hostel "supplies" from storage.

We plan to open Ron's HAVEN on Monday, March 2nd. I will be looking forward to seeing you all.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 13:26
Fills a hole that the closure of Rainbow Springs left. Not quite as close to the trail, but that may make it harder for Bill Bryson to review it. Which isn't a bad thing.

Good luck and thanks!

TW
his review was spot on. that place wasn't loved by all

Rain Man
02-24-2009, 13:28
GREAT news! :banana

We plan to open Ron's HAVEN on Monday, March 2nd. I will be looking forward to seeing you all.

fehchet
02-24-2009, 16:03
Hey, Miss J. been wondering how things went after you left my digs a few days ago. Thanks for the honey, honey. Look forward to catching up at TD before I journey back to Northeast Harbor, Maine. I plan to hike in from Bob Peoples' starting on Monday before TD. So Lone Wolf and Gypsy I am headed your way.

Lilred
02-24-2009, 20:48
I finally escaped from the warm, sandy clutches of the southernmost points of Florida... ah, I sure have snowbird genes!

I made it to Franklin and spent a few hours arranging furniture, cleaning and brainstorming. I will spend a few days here and then go to Erwin to see the fam and to pick up my hostel "supplies" from storage.

:welcome back. Hope you have a great year!!

maxNcathy
02-24-2009, 21:41
Hope to meet you both some day.
Best wishes.
Sandalwood

Ron Haven
02-25-2009, 00:38
I believe all of you will be impresse with Miss Janets New Place ;)

Red Hat
02-25-2009, 11:19
Miss Janet's Haven?...

Sly
02-25-2009, 11:30
The No Name. :D

Lilred
02-25-2009, 16:15
I came up with Miss Janet's haven yesterday on the other thread. You stealing my thunder there Red Hat??? :-?:eek: Folks seem to like it.

Brushy Sage
02-25-2009, 20:09
Janet, I'm a bit late signing on to this thread, but I now have the news. Wonderful! Tennessee's loss is Franklin's gain. Wishing you the best.
Jack Thomas, aka Brushy Sage

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2009, 20:14
What I wanna know is what is the kitchen like?

Good stove? Counter space? Big table?

Sure hope so, cuz around 10 March there could be some very interesting things happening there.

There may well be some southern Italian cooking in Ron Haven's future.

Ships get christened with champagne.

Hostels get christened with lasagna.

See you in a few weeks, Miss J.

Red Hat
02-26-2009, 13:56
I came up with Miss Janet's haven yesterday on the other thread. You stealing my thunder there Red Hat??? :-?:eek: Folks seem to like it.
When I read the discussion on the other thread, I was thinking "how about Miss Janet's Haven", then I saw you wrote the same thing. Great minds think alike. Don't want to steal anyone's thunder...

Bulldawg
02-26-2009, 13:57

Sure hope so, cuz around 10 March there could be some very interesting things happening there.

Did somebody say Lasagna? :D:D

yappy
02-26-2009, 14:02
really ! I love L too..yum. I wish I was hiking this year... darn it. Alaska is too freaking far away from all the fun. Have a superb first season Miss J.

Bulldawg
02-26-2009, 14:12
really ! I love L too..yum. I wish I was hiking this year... darn it. Alaska is too freaking far away from all the fun. Have a superb first season Miss J.

45 minute drive for me!!!:banana:banana

Lilred
02-26-2009, 16:04
When I read the discussion on the other thread, I was thinking "how about Miss Janet's Haven", then I saw you wrote the same thing. Great minds think alike. Don't want to steal anyone's thunder...

LOLOl yes, great minds do think alike. We can share the thunder...

gungho
02-26-2009, 16:15
The hostel Is a work in progress, but everything is awesome

Skidsteer
02-26-2009, 22:00

It's a work in progress but I think You'll like it. Eight of us stayed last night and we had a fine time! Good company.

SGT Rock
02-26-2009, 22:23
Hope to get over there next month sometime and see the place.

Sly
02-26-2009, 22:27
It's a work in progress but I think You'll like it. Eight of us stayed last night and we had a fine time! Good company.

No kidding. Any snorers? ;)

Lone Wolf
02-26-2009, 22:30

i woulda stayed at the budget

Skidsteer
02-26-2009, 22:38
No kidding. Any snorers? ;)

Three of us. We all bunked together with no complaints.

i woulda stayed at the budget

I know. That's my preference too but this was a special occasion. It was fun.

I got my own room at the Sapphire for the Bash. ;)

Sly
02-26-2009, 23:19
Three of us. We all bunked together with no complaints.

Snorers are cool. Maybe they can post one room for cool people. ;)

Ron Haven
02-26-2009, 23:36
Miss Janets (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=12119)

Sly
02-27-2009, 00:05
Hey Ron when you get all the particulars for the hostel together send me a PM and I'll have it put on the ATC' Companion update page.

Ron Haven
02-27-2009, 00:09
Hey Ron when you get all the particulars for the hostel together send me a PM and I'll have it put on the ATC' Companion update page.I sure will,thanks

generoll
02-27-2009, 09:23
to my mind the best part of the hostel is the common area. I'm assuming they all have some kind of bathroom and kitchen, but having a dry area for folks to just sit around and talk is tops for me. I know I pooped out early, but I really did enjoy the stories and just hearing everyone together.

Perhaps it's a strange analogy or just selective memory, but the closest I could come to relating this was the best parts of barracks life. Sorta like when we were all broke the weekend before payday and we'd all push our footlockers together, throw an army blanket over them and play penney ante poker. The guy that won for the evening might walk away with as much as $.50, but we all enjoyed the camaraderie and I think that's what I've decided I like the best about hiking in general and the AT specifically.

A hostel enhances that for me. YMMV

Lilred
02-27-2009, 18:46
Those bunks look familiar...

Jan LiteShoe
02-27-2009, 20:53
Hey, I'm late to the thread party, but sounds like a great idea all around to me, with lots of sleeping options for visitors, AND Miss Janet's famous family-group meals.
What's not to like?
;-)
Congrats!

JERMM
03-09-2009, 21:08
Thanks to Gungho and Roots, Miss Janet has her boot planters filled with pretty flowers at the new hostel in Franklin, NC

Jermm, Kanga and General trying on Miss Janet's planters

Jeff
04-20-2009, 11:14
Would love to see recent pics of hikers at the new hostel in Franklin. Miss Janet can you upload a few??? !!!!

Miss Janet
04-23-2009, 13:44
I will try to put up pictures and an overall "review" of the Ron's Haven Hostel Experiment in a few days. Right now I am up to my eyeball in cardboard boxes getting the place closed up. Ronnie wanted to try out a hostel here but it was only planned to be for the "thruhike season". We ended up with lots of Whiteblaze's coming to have an impromtu Hostel Closing party and what a great way to end things! Good friends, laughter, a few good practical jokes, cake, and even BACON!

I hope to see some of you at Trail Fest this weekend!

Ron Haven
04-23-2009, 23:17
I will try to put up pictures and an overall "review" of the Ron's Haven Hostel Experiment in a few days. Right now I am up to my eyeball in cardboard boxes getting the place closed up. Ronnie wanted to try out a hostel here but it was only planned to be for the "thruhike season". We ended up with lots of Whiteblaze's coming to have an impromtu Hostel Closing party and what a great way to end things! Good friends, laughter, a few good practical jokes, cake, and even BACON!

I hope to see some of you at Trail Fest this weekend!Me and Franklin both were very blessed to have you here Miss Janet with us this season.Thanks Very Much,:sun

Jeff
04-24-2009, 18:13
I would think the hikers are still coming thru Franklin in fairly decent numbers.

The Weasel
04-24-2009, 18:38
While this may sound silly, it's not: "Yelp" is a "review site" that is getting a lot of national traction at Yelp.com , not just for restaurants but pretty much every kind of establishment. I even valued the (accurate and helpful!) review of the doctor I just changed to.

While posts here will help Ron and Janet, people who have stayed at the motel or the hostel should go to "Yelp" and put reviews there. In addition, reviews on TripAdvisor ( TripAdvisor.com ) are very helpful. Both of these sites are watched by businesses, and they can help someone really increase their business (as well as crash places that are pits).

Both Janet and Ron deserve as many (good) reviews as possible.

TW

HighTech
04-30-2009, 14:37
Miss Janet, It's GREAT to hear you're back in the game. Sorry I'm so late catching up on the news, but just wanted to wish you and Ron good luck in the endeavor. I'm gonna ride up to trail days on the motorcycle. Hope to see you there.

HighTech

StarLyte
05-01-2009, 05:05
This world needs unselfish, good people like Ron and Janet.

Feel the love :sun

zoidfu
05-01-2009, 05:09
It would truly be a depressing planet
If it were't for people like Ron and Janet
Don't worry, be happy

zoidfu
05-01-2009, 05:09
damn, wrong thread:)