PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Obsessing over gear.

Mike Way
01-31-2009, 08:44
I'm 61 yrs old, retired and planning to hike the AT starting at Damascus early May and flip floping back to Springer. Haven't backpacked in 15-20 yrs.! With the exception of an old EMS -0 down bag (don't know the weight), all orginal gear has been sold.

My gear choices are:

Granite Gear Vapor Trail (is it a good choice given weight limits?)
Big Agnes Seedhouse II (want room for pack and/or dog)
Big Agnes Horse Thief 35* (warm enough for a Damascus May start)
Big Agnes Mummy pad (said to be the most comfortable sleeping system combined with a BA bag)
JetBoil Personal Cooking System
Shoes either Targhee II Mids or Montrail Hardrocks.

Please give me your opinions. I've got to decide and start buying gear!

Mike:banana

Mike Way
01-31-2009, 08:47
Choices made on weight and cost Did I mention I'm 61 (weight) and retired (cost)?

4eyedbuzzard
01-31-2009, 08:58
Those are all pretty good choices. You might want to buy all your other gear first and then buy a pack, but the Vapor Trail is pretty popular among thru-hikers and will likely fit everything you'll need. I've got the Vapor day pack(same basic suspension concept) and can tell you it is comfortable and does carry well.

The 35 deg bag should be fine given a May start. If there is by chance a cold snap or unusually cold night you can always wear your long base layer to help. Don't forget a wool/fleece cap.

Some people swear by Jetboils(convenience), others swear at them(weight). I think I'd likely go with a small alcohol stove to save weight on a long hike, but that said I also own a Jetboil and it's super convenient and better in the wind than most other cooking arrangements.

Red Hat
01-31-2009, 11:02
You'll probably need a warmer bag later on (Sept or so), and I agree on the alcohol stove (the starlyte is great), but all in all it looks good for an old guy. :) By the way, I am also 61 and retired. So I know where you are coming from...

Egads
01-31-2009, 11:39
That gearlist should work. Maybe you should post the rest of your gear / apparel list for comments. rain & cool weather gear? What is your total pack weight less food & water? I didn't see trekking poles on your list. Maybe you should consider using them. (this is not an invitation for any ridiculous comments about air poles BJ)

RITBlake
01-31-2009, 11:50
Gear list sounds good to me.

skinewmexico
01-31-2009, 12:19
I agree with the advice to buy your pack last.......

Panzer1
01-31-2009, 12:21
Granite Gear Vapor Trail Keep in mind that with this pack you cannot exceed 25 pound, after food and water.

Panzer

Frog
01-31-2009, 12:37
Use the internet for what its there for. I use REI.COM to compare products for weight and price and i go to the companies web site for each item i am looking to buy and then make my decisions on buying an item. Also some times when an item is changing a lot you can buy the older version a lot cheaper. go to local outfitters and just browse you may find out that an item recommended to you want work for you. my brother loves his b a mat but it doesnt work for me. I simply love the bigger golite packs and others simply hate them. SPEND SOME TIME LOOKING AROUND.

4eyedbuzzard
01-31-2009, 12:38
Keep in mind that with this pack you cannot exceed 25 pound, after food and water.

Panzer

GG rates it at <30 lbs, but I'd agree that the less you carry the better and more comfortable it wil be. But again, yet another reason to buy the pack AFTER you know what gear+food+water you'll be carrying.

take-a-knee
01-31-2009, 18:55
GG rates it at <30 lbs, but I'd agree that the less you carry the better and more comfortable it wil be. But again, yet another reason to buy the pack AFTER you know what gear+food+water you'll be carrying.

If the pack fits you (that means it isn't long tall of a size), and you can tolerate a little bit of weight on your shoulders 35# is no problem. Anyone who says otherwise needs a better conditioning program because the pack can handle it if you can.

Mike Way
02-01-2009, 10:42
O.Kay!! Made two purchases yesterday. Both on sale so probably comparable prices to Campmor.

Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. Sacrificed a gain in weight to gain ablility to carry 40 lbs. Purchased from Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro, VA. Great service!

I know I ignored the advice about buying last but need to start hiking and carrying weight to get into condition. If I can't keep weight down to 40 lbs. I won't go.

Montrail Hardrocks. I'm not sure about fit (feels tight even though 1/2 size too big.Length perfect) will probably return them. Keen Targhee II was too lose in heel. Maybe to got Asolo Fugitive GTX?

Will post other gear later. Poles are the Walmart Swiss Gear cheap things.

Red Hat. When did it happen that we got so old?

Frog. I've been using the internet, etc. Just have gotten "frozen" with making decisions.

hopefulhiker
02-01-2009, 10:47
I would look at the tarp tents and the alcohol stoves..
I used the BA insulated mummy style mat the whole way!

Keeping your weight down is really important!

bigcranky
02-01-2009, 11:49
Mike,

The Nimbus pack is fine. Sometimes a few more ounces in the pack frame makes for a more comfortable day on the trail.

Now, that said, I really try to keep my base weight (that is, my gear and clothing in my pack, not including food and water) down to about 15 pounds at the start of the hike. Certainly less than 20. This includes the weight of the pack itself, by the way. The rationale for this is simple -- once you take 15 pounds of gear and add 2 liters of water and a full load of food, you're pushing 30+ pounds, which even at my age I can feel at the end of the day. You're starting in warmer weather, so this is very do-able.

This doesn't mean skimping on my gear, or eating tree bark and grubs, or freezing all night. It does mean being careful with gear purchases -- things that look really great, and seem fairly light, start to add up fast.

For example, the Jetboil is a great stove. However, it's primary advantage in my opinion is the heat exchanger, which makes it useful in cold and windy weather. For a summer start, I think it's overkill. A much lighter canister stove and a very light aluminum or titanium pot will be half the weight and the same or less cost. Even lighter and cheaper is a homemade alcohol stove and a Grease Pot from K-Mart. This is also fine for a flip flop hike.

Not sure what the Seedhouse II weighs, but my Tarptent Double Rainbow (http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html) has plenty of room for me and all my gear and a large dog (not that I hike with a large dog, but one would fit), and weighs 42 ounces total. It's very quick and easy to set up, even in the rain, and has two doors and two large vestibules. Don't be put off by single wall shelters, they are an excellent way to shave weight.

For many people, clothing is the place where they over-pack. For hiking in June in Virginia, I wear running shorts, a synthetic (or very light wool) t-shirt, low-cut socks, and trail runners. I carry an extra pair of running shorts, and a long-sleeved lightweight shirt for camp wear, to let my hiking clothes dry out. (Plus that gives me something clean-ish to wear in town.) For a warm layer I carry either a microfleece pullover or my Marmot Driclime jacket, and I usually carry a lightweight rain shell and very light (2.5 oz) homemade wind pants (which are my only long pants.) I always have a very light fleece hat and gloves, because it can get chilly around camp at elevation, though many hikers leave those at home in the summer. I also carry rubber clogs for camp and town wear. These are worth their extra weight, IME.

Given that you'll be flipping around mid-September or so, you may need to add some warmer layers once you hit New England. By that point you'll know what you want, and you can buy it (or have it shipped to you) on the trail.

Finally, keep an eye on all the little things that end up in your pack. Especially for summer hiking, you can get by with surprisingly little gear. I would definitely want a trail guide (like the Companion or Wingfoot or Appalachian Pages), the map set (because I love maps), and a good paperback book. Something that takes awhile to read.

Remember that you can make adjustments as you hike. Get to town, mail home some gear you aren't using, and have something you like mailed to you (or buy it at an outfitter -- plenty of those in Virginia.) Good luck and happy trails.

Mike Way
02-01-2009, 12:29
I love the Seedhouse II tent but it's $319 and 3.6 lbs. I also thought to use it with my wife (just discussed with her) but she still wants to use our Alps 3-man tent. We can split it up so not as much weight to carry. Long story short, I think I'll go with a tarp tent. What about condensation problems???

Don't know anything about alcohol stoves but the weight sounds great. Any problems finding fuel and/or using them?

Also thought to use clothes I already have: (I flyfish so have this kind of stuff)

L.L. Bean shell shirt
North Face poly short sleeve T
Columbia light weight fleece pullover
Cabela's mid weight underwear (sleeping if cold)
L.L. Bean nylon convertable pants.
Columbia nylon shorts
Old Marmont rain jacket, Goretex. Not much of a jacket but, hey, already have it!
EMS down vest.
Thinsulite mittens
baseball hat.

I live in the western mtns of VA. west of Harrisonburg so no problem having wife resupply if needed.

Mike Way
02-01-2009, 12:30
I keep failing to mention what a great help you all have been. Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

bigcranky
02-01-2009, 18:42
Mike,

Tarptent: there can be condensation issues. They are not a big deal, in my experience. (I have used various models of tarptents for almost 6 years.) The lightest solo tarptent is less than 2 pounds (Tarptent Contrail, 24 ounces), and works well for one person. The Tarptent Squall is a 2-person model that might work with a dog. You can save even more money and weight with an 8x10-foot silnylon tarp (less than a pound with stakes and lines), but you'll need to invest in some practice setting it up. You'll also need some sort of bug protection. But that's the best coverage and weather protection for the weight, hands down.

No problem finding alcohol fuel along the trail.

The clothing is fine, though I expect you'll send some of it home after a couple of weeks. For example, you probably don't need both the long pants and the long underwear. You can hike in the shorts, and put the long johns on under the shorts when you get to camp. Same with the shirt/long john top/fleece top/vest combo - you'll want some, but probably not all. Again, start out with it, but be open to change. I will say that Thinsulate mittens are overkill in the summer. A simple (and cheap) pair of light fleece gloves is fine.

bigcranky
02-01-2009, 18:44
Alcohol stoves:

Make Your Own (http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm).

Buy one. ( (http://antigravitygear.com/)And they have inexpensive pots, too.)

Gaiter
02-01-2009, 19:05
if you are looking at saving money, look at alcohol stoves and k-mart grease pot instead of a jetboil

Dogwood
02-01-2009, 19:15
Welcome to the obsessed gear club! U have a good selection of gear for when, how, and where U R hiking as U described in post # 1!

RITBlake
02-02-2009, 00:59
if you are looking at saving money, look at alcohol stoves and k-mart grease pot instead of a jetboil

IMO given the weight, ease of use, reliability, and speed that it boils water, the Jetboil PCS is worth every single penny. You'll be thankful you did when the air temps are cold and the wind is whipping.

bigcranky
02-02-2009, 09:20
IMO given the weight, ease of use, reliability, and speed that it boils water, the Jetboil PCS is worth every single penny. You'll be thankful you did when the air temps are cold and the wind is whipping.

You are correct. As I noted above, the biggest advantage of the Jetboil is its performance in cold and windy weather.

However, the O.P. is starting in Damascus in May. His planned flip-flip hike is just about perfectly timed to avoid winter weather anywhere along the trail. (Which is a great plan, IMO.)

truckindust
02-22-2009, 13:28
Hey Mike Way,
I just got through reading all about the ticks and lyme disease that for the most part everyone who has been says, "take it seriously". I couldn't help but think, as I live in Georgia, (we refer to it as the jungle or desert dependingon where you live),...checking yourself for ticks is going to be imparative for you but your talking about taking your dog...wow...that's gone be a challenge for sure...especially since I deduced from your gear list and intentions of using the sleeping bag as a joint sleeping apparatice for you both. Any missed tick is going to be on you before the sun rises. Not criticising your choice...just merely giving thought to help you better prepare for your additional load...hope you have a GREAT time...:sun

Mike Way
02-23-2009, 18:10
Not taking the dog on the thru. Just want a tent/tarptent to be able to put him up later. Actually will probably take him on a shake down trip in the SNP early April. Ticks shouldn't be a prob. then. Talked with Rich at Rockfish Gap Outfitters on Sat. Lyme disease knocked him off when he first attempted his thru.

q-tip
02-24-2009, 00:05
When I bought my gear 2 years ago for a trip to India, my priorities were 1) safety, 2) consistent performance, 3) weight, 4) cost. I looked at the price tag last. I bought the gear over a period of several months and tried it out on some weekend hikes and ended up taking back my tent but the rest worked well. I am using all of that gear for my thru hike and it will last for many years to come. So for me, it was an investment. I am 52 and even though I am reasonably fit, weight was critical in planning for my thru hike. My big four include:

Pack-Granite Gear Vapor Trail
Bag-Western Mountaineering 15 degree
Pad-Thermarest Pro lite 4
Tent-Cloudburst II Tarptent

Food:

Jet Boil PCS w/pot

Good luck and look for the slow guy on the right, that's me.

Mike Way
02-24-2009, 15:16
How about this question for a gear thread? And I guess there are dumb questions but what's better, commando or underwear to prevent chaffing, jock itch, etc.?

Beano
02-27-2009, 10:38
In the immortal words of Cosmo Kramer, "But Jerry, my boys need a home!!!"

I always go commando on long trail trips and carry a small bottle of goldbond. Man, that stuff is wonderful.

boarstone
02-27-2009, 17:02
retired and still sleeping on the ground...grrrrr...thought on a hammock to get off ground and reduce the weight and headache of packing up tent? ...just a thought, I came off ground as soon as I hit 40. I like the stuff it, fluff it and go myself...instead of fold and roll....