PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Synthetic to Down

Jayboflavin04
01-31-2009, 09:17
I kinda guess that i am a cold sleeper. I had a (off the self) slumberjack 20d synthetic bag. I slept comfortably in 35F with clothing under a tarp. If I switch to a 20 down bag is this going to be overkill. I consider myself a cold sleeper. I am looking at a WM ultralight 20d bag.

Manwich
01-31-2009, 09:24
I think that's really a question of personal preference. I know some people who boil in a 20*F bag and can't stand it, whilst myself, I sleep on top of my 20*F bag if it's too warm.

But, if I were you and you were me, and I was investing in a +$300 bag, I'd make sure it covers an extreme I might deal with so one-shot-kills-all.

Lyle
01-31-2009, 09:40
I think most folks could make a 20* bag work for most situations. Add clothing and an extra pad for the colder, shoulder season. Leave unzipped, or use as a quilt, only partially covered for the warm months.

Unfortunately, no one will be able to tell you for sure that it will work. Sleeping bags and night time comfort are an extremely personal decision that most people learn through trial and error.

I think you will be happy with your WM Ultralight if it fits you. You will just need to learn when it's comfortable for you personally. Most agree that WM uses conservative temp. ratings for their bags.

Jayboflavin04
01-31-2009, 10:23
Just tryin to cut the costs were possible, and that is what I am tryin to do. Have one 3 season bag that I am comfortable in (march-nov), that is light and high quality and last a looonggg time. From what I have read I wont be sorry with a WM bag, just $360 poorer, but the bag if well taken care of will last a lifetime. Apposed to sythetic which may last 3-5yrs at $120 dollars.

SGT Rock
01-31-2009, 15:45
I love down. You will have to make sure you take care of it - but it will keep you warm and last forever.

skinewmexico
01-31-2009, 15:53
I think most sleeping bag manufacturers fudge their numbers some. I don't think WM does. I'd feel better taking a 30 WM bag to 20 than I would taking most company's 20 to 30.

Baltimore Andy
01-31-2009, 16:00
i have that WM sleeping bag. its a nice bag, it got down to 25* the other night and the temp inside the bag was perfect for me.

garlic08
01-31-2009, 17:27
I kinda guess that i am a cold sleeper. I had a (off the self) slumberjack 20d synthetic bag. I slept comfortably in 35F with clothing under a tarp. If I switch to a 20 down bag is this going to be overkill. I consider myself a cold sleeper. I am looking at a WM ultralight 20d bag.

Good for you. Well done, you'll love down. I kick myself for all the years I waited to make the switch.

Blissful
01-31-2009, 17:51
Heard that is an excellent bag and you should be toasty.
HUGE diff from a Slumberjack! But there are synthetics that are much better with their temp ratings than Slumberjack, IMO. Like NF Cats Meow.

If I had the money for a WM, sigh... :)

WILLIAM HAYES
01-31-2009, 18:23
I use a down marmot Helium EQ bag rated at 15 deg never been cold even down to 8 degrees great bag but pricey I like it better than my WM bags

garlic08
01-31-2009, 23:36
I use a down marmot Helium EQ bag rated at 15 deg never been cold even down to 8 degrees great bag but pricey I like it better than my WM bags

I completely agree. My Marmot Helium outperformed a cheaper bag I had rated at 0 when I used them both in the single digits.

Blissful
01-31-2009, 23:44

This is actually the bag I really want, but a good WM would do as well. :)

Jayboflavin04
02-01-2009, 16:56
I am about to blow a nice chunk of change after I get my taxes. I have really been doing my shopping. I need to post my gear purchase list. That way ppl can tell me what you think. I am trying to achieve the +/- 30lb seven day pack. I am a newbie...did a little backpacking in my younger days.

Smile
02-01-2009, 17:40
Down can't be beat, and weight is awesome. Like everyone says, you can always lay on top, but better to be too warm, than cold :)

Mongoose2
02-01-2009, 17:56

I made the switch from Syn to Down a few years ago. I bought the Campmor 20 degree bag and like it. I also sleep cold, and on a few spring nights have had to wear long johns.....the mountains can be deceptive

Don H
02-01-2009, 18:04
Fit and features are very important too. Your Ultralite has a full length zipper, great for venting in warmer weather. Try one and make sure it fits well, not too tight or loose. Also look at the fabric it's made of. I looked at the WM Ultralight but went with a Feathered Friends Swallow because of the fabric choices (even got to pick the color). Both companies make great bags and the temp ratings are reported to be conservative.

Arizona
02-01-2009, 18:08
Just tryin to cut the costs were possible, and that is what I am tryin to do. Have one 3 season bag that I am comfortable in (march-nov), that is light and high quality and last a looonggg time. From what I have read I wont be sorry with a WM bag, just $360 poorer, but the bag if well taken care of will last a lifetime. Apposed to sythetic which may last 3-5yrs at $120 dollars.

A campmor 0 degree down bag is about $149 and sometimes goes on sale for less.

buz
02-02-2009, 10:37
Make sure the bag fits you, size wise, and sleeping style. The ultralite is really slim cut, which may be fine, or not. If you are looking at buying, try and get somewhere to get in them, if possible. Or plan on possibly buying two bags, different sizing, and send one back. Make sure you have policy of where u buy understood first. Spending a little money on postage to get right size is worth it, on major investment in gear.

ianjoe59
02-02-2009, 20:32
Western Mountaineering was my choice when switching from synthetic too.
I had to go with the alpinelite though. its still a 20 degree bag just wider.

Tinker
02-02-2009, 20:45
If you're too warm in your down bag, get up, shake most of the down from the top to the bottom, lay back down and sleep cooler. You can't do this with synthetic fills. As a matter of fact, "down shift" is one of the few complaints I've heard (former REI employee) from down bag users. If a bag's baffle chambers are underfilled, gravity takes over and the down migrates from top to bottom during a night's tossing and turning. With a high quality bag it is not usually an issue, as the baffles are appropriatly spaced and the correct height for the intended temperature range. Cheaper bags have many more issues with this phenomenon as the chambers may be underfilled and the down, unimpeded by friction from pressure generated against the bag's fabric because of too little fill volume, readily settles to the bottom without any help from the user.