PDA

View Full Version : Any Thoughts On Otter Boxes?

Young Scott
01-31-2009, 12:11
I bought a small, hard plastic, water proof box at the suggestion of a fellow hiker. Company's "Otter Box". Just wondering if any thru-hikers have used these.

take-a-knee
01-31-2009, 12:15
I bought a small, hard plastic, water proof box at the suggestion of a fellow hiker. Company's "Otter Box". Just wondering if any thru-hikers have used these.

Too heavy, good for keeping stuff in a truck or especially in a canoe or kayak though.

skinewmexico
01-31-2009, 12:17
I've used Pelican. But they are too heavy too.

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2009, 12:18
You gotta link? Is it for food?

Young Scott
01-31-2009, 12:19
otterbox.com/waterproof-cases/otterbox-3500/

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2009, 12:26
Overkill, Not only is it too heavy, but it's too bulky for use on a long distance hike

dmb658
01-31-2009, 16:39
i would only bring one of those if i was taking a nice camera with me or my ipod. otherwise, its not worth it

SGT Rock
01-31-2009, 16:47
I use a soap dish for my camera. It's the only hard box I carry.

Young Scott
02-02-2009, 11:38
Besides Otter Boxes, is there a way to protect fragile items? Just looking for a way to keep some stuff dry.

dmb658
02-02-2009, 13:45
wrap stuff in clothes and use a dry bag. basically, just throw it in your clothes sac, if you need to, you can put something in your sleepingbag

mnof1000v
02-02-2009, 13:48
Ditto that it's too heavy for a hike. It is practically bomb-proof, though. Very useful if kayaking.

Vibe
02-02-2009, 14:12
These are as bomb proof as I can realistically see me needing, less expensive, and can serve double duty as food kit.
http://www.locknlock.com.au/lock/product/square_container.php?product_category_id=7

Doctari
02-02-2009, 15:39
I have 2 pair of reading glasses in a small hard case, along with my "spare Money" (is there such a thing for hikers?).

But if you are expecting ALOT of rain, I say sure, go for it. BUT, if the AT is 100 foot underwater*, UM, I suspect there will not be much hiking going on that year. :p

My subtle way of saying you really wont need them / it. There are smaller, lighter things out there that will do the job, without the overkill.

A hint if you will, & don't let it worry you, justbe aware that almost everything you take has a high probability of: If it can't stand a fall, it will get dropped. If it can't stand to get wet, it will get soaked. If it needs batteries, they will die. If it can be torn, it will be. Take what reasonable precautions you can. Get a small case for the camera, (something that can be dropped from just over your head?) or a real sturdy camera or a throw away. Seam seal everything that has a seam(Your stuff will still get wet, but at least you tried). etc, etc, etc. Not saying all that will happen, but in about 250 miles my current pack has been sewn back together 3 times. in about 1000 miles: I'm on my 3rd cook pot (can you say "Squish"?), & I don't carry a real camera anymore, just a disposable one or 2. I carry TWO pairs of reading glasses, for a 200 mile trip.

Murphy's law states: "If it can go wrong it will do so at the worst possible moment!" I sometimes think that Mr Murphy was an optimist. :p

*the rated depth of the cases.