PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions: 3 Days in NE Florida

GMcClain20
01-31-2009, 12:33
Hey guys,

I'm trying to plan a hike at the end of February over 3 1/2 days and 3 nights. I had planned on doing it in the Ocala NF but hear the Rainbow People will be in town. I plan on avoiding that. Anyhow does anyone have any suggestions for three days worth of hiking? I like to do around 12 miles a day but don't mind more if it's worth it. I live in Palatka and don't wanna drive more than 2-3 hours to get to the trail. My problems always been trying to find that much trail (35+ miles consecutive, without road walks) close to home. There's a lot of great trail near me it just isn't cut out for extending hikes IMO.

Thanks ahead for any help. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want!

Happy Trails!

JaxHiker
01-31-2009, 15:53
In Osceola the mileage is just over 20 from Olustee through Turkey Run to Deep Creek. You could do that in two days and if you want more keep going from Deep Creek to Suwanee.

GMcClain20
01-31-2009, 19:27
Hmmm, Thanks for the lead. I'm gonna check that out!

wahoo
01-31-2009, 23:32
Welcome back Travis! Ain't seen you around much lately, thought you got gobbled up by a gator or something! Hope to see you up at the Florida Hiking Festival at the end of March.

chiefduffy
02-01-2009, 05:49
Don't overlook the sections along the Suwannee. The landscape and scenery is beautiful, and plenty of nice camping spots. The best hiking in North Florida, in my opinion.

GMcClain20
02-01-2009, 19:09
I checked your site out the other day Wahoo. I love what you've done with the place! And thanks Chiefduffy, I'm looking into something in the Suwannee area.

Appreciate the help guys!

Gray Blazer
02-01-2009, 21:10
Etoniah Creek State Forest. 12 miles from trailhead to Hwy100 by Rice Creek. Less than an hour from Palatka.

GMcClain20
02-01-2009, 21:40
Thanks Gray Blazer but I've done that section 2 times plus a few day hikes. A good section would be the Etoniah section along with the Rice Creek CA. There is some road walk between them, which is why I haven't done it all together.

I'm also looking at St. Marks. I haven't looked at distance from me or length of the trail there. Any advice on that area? I'm researching it right now.

GeneralLee10
02-01-2009, 22:34
I don't understand maybe someone can help me. It does not make any sence that a Hiker one that likes to be in the woods. Is afraid of poeple that like to live in the woods but they just migrate form place to place. I must say I have never had a problem with a dirty Hippie more with a Bum in the city askng for money to get a darn beer. What is the big fear of these people? Thay have always been nice to me, they are only doing what most of us would love to do for 6 months out of a year except they just do it year round. I am just saying no need to fear them as they mite fear you more, let me know your thoughts.

Gray Blazer
02-02-2009, 11:23
I don't understand maybe someone can help me. It does not make any sence that a Hiker one that likes to be in the woods. Is afraid of poeple that like to live in the woods but they just migrate form place to place. I must say I have never had a problem with a dirty Hippie more with a Bum in the city askng for money to get a darn beer. What is the big fear of these people? Thay have always been nice to me, they are only doing what most of us would love to do for 6 months out of a year except they just do it year round. I am just saying no need to fear them as they mite fear you more, let me know your thoughts.

They smell like thru-hikers. :eek::confused::eek:

GMcClain20
02-02-2009, 17:36
I don't fear them. I would just rather my walk in the woods be a bit more lonely. I mean, mostly, I hike to 'get away from it all'. If I want large crowds of people I'll go to Wal-Mart. Just my preference. Also a buddy of mine had a few issues with 'some' of them near clearwater lake a few years back.

To each his own.

gravityman
02-02-2009, 17:48
We get a lot of rainbow people around our area, just west of boulder. There are a lot of complaints every year because of some serious issues. See this article of a stabbing in the area:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/jul/16/man-hit-shovel-possibly-stabbed-rainbow-family-bra/

GeneralLee10
02-02-2009, 20:27
We get a lot of rainbow people around our area, just west of boulder. There are a lot of complaints every year because of some serious issues. See this article of a stabbing in the area:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/jul/16/man-hit-shovel-possibly-stabbed-rainbow-family-bra/

Interesting story, I have never had a problem with them guess it was luck at the time.

BumpJumper
02-03-2009, 20:26
Ind, from a law enforcement point of view. There is alot of problems with them. Not all mind you, but more than the average citizen knows about.