PDA

View Full Version : Are Gaiters neccessary?

hallister
01-31-2009, 12:51
Do you need gaiters for a thru-hike? Thanks.

Lyle
01-31-2009, 13:01
Helpful - yes
Needed - no

Personal choice.

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2009, 13:50
Helpful - yes
Needed - no

Personal choice.
I agree, but for Me, they are damn near a necessity. For some reason I can't hike with out getting little sticks and peebles along with a lot of dirt kicked into my ankle-high boots. A cheap pair ($20) of ankle-high gaiters is an easy remedy.

Kanati
01-31-2009, 13:56
I agree, but for Me, they are damn near a necessity. For some reason I can't hike with out getting little sticks and peebles along with a lot of dirt kicked into my ankle-high boots. A cheap pair ($20) of ankle-high gaiters is an easy remedy.

Me too. My first gaiters were some old socks that I cut off just above the heal. They worked pretty good. Then I bought some ankle high gaiters at Rockfish gap. These worked good but condensation formed inside of them which caused my feet to get damp. I poked some holes in them to correct this. I didn't know they were the water resistant type. I do not recommed those.

clured
01-31-2009, 13:57
I don't use them, but I see how other people might like them. Ironically, I think they are more useful if you wear boots (as opposed to trail runners) - if you get a pebble in your trailrunner, you can usually just reach down and fish it out with your finger, but with boots you have to stop, unlace, take the boot off, shake it out, put it back on, etc.

The Will
01-31-2009, 14:07
You will get MANY opinions on this.

Ultimately I believe it depends on the conditions you are hiking in: maintained trail, snow, desert, off-trail.

I have a friend who doesn't see the need to wear them, yet after we do a multi-day hike in the desert he'll throw away his socks because they are so loaded with hitchhikers of all sorts.

I elect to wear them.

Many Walks
01-31-2009, 14:14
I wore the ankle high nylon gaiters and my wife wore none. She kept stopping to get the sticks and stones out of her boots and at the end of the day when my socks were wet, hers were muddy and full of junk. I don't mind getting dirty, but as hard as the trail is on a hikers feet I saw no reason to add to the grit and grime to help wear them down. It's just a personal preference, no big deal either way.

max patch
01-31-2009, 14:29
Not needed for 3 season hiking on the AT.

Unless you like looking like a dork. :)

Many Walks
01-31-2009, 14:42
Most distance hikers don't worry too much how others think they look, or smell for that matter. They go with what works for them.

Morpheus
01-31-2009, 14:50
Dorks Unite!! Stop the fashion police from repressing your rights to function!
I like them. Keeps trail dust from mixing with sweat to form dreaded muddy sock cuffs and keeps my 44 magnum concealed. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Frick Frack
01-31-2009, 16:24
These (http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=765&CFID=11604&CFTOKEN=11108135&mainproducttypeid=1) are indespensible for me....and light too. Keeps junk out of your boots allowing your socks to stay more clean. Helps keep water out too

MOWGLI
01-31-2009, 16:28

They are absolutely, undeniably not a necessity. Some people like them though. I have worn them in the past, and no longer do.

SGT Rock
01-31-2009, 16:45
I also quit using them.

Sly
01-31-2009, 17:04
Dorks Unite!! Stop the fashion police from repressing your rights to function!

Da da!

http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

garlic08
01-31-2009, 17:14
Not needed for 3 season hiking on the AT.

Unless you like looking like a dork. :)

I agree, not needed. Wearing gaiters may be more of an affectation than anything else--it makes you look like a "real" hiker.

Rain Man
01-31-2009, 17:30
I finally broke down and bought a pair after Christmas, mostly because I had an REI gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

But what I had in mind when I did buy gaiters was the times I've hiked through snow in a bitter cold wind, which I've done a time or two. Gaiters would have been nice.

So, mostly they will gather dust in my closet, but next time I do any "winter" hiking, they'll be on my legs!

As most have said, there is no single answer to this question, not even for an individual hiker.

Rain:sunMan

Gaiter
01-31-2009, 17:36
These (http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=765&CFID=11604&CFTOKEN=11108135&mainproducttypeid=1) are indespensible for me....and light too. Keeps junk out of your boots allowing your socks to stay more clean. Helps keep water out too

i use the same ones, wear them more for keeping my feet and socks clean more than anything else...

Blissful
01-31-2009, 17:44
Gaiters made my feet hot and I believe contribute to blisters. They don't keep your feet dry and getting debris in your shoes wasn't that big of an issue for me. I sent mine home at Neel Gap.

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2009, 18:27
I walked the first 1,000 miles in 2006 and when I got to Harper's Ferry I got a pair of these http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/rocky_mountain_low_gaiters.html

I just hated the grim (completely muddy feet) that would build up in my shoes, plus I looked like a "real" hiker once I started wearing them:D

bigcranky
01-31-2009, 18:28
If you already wear and like gaiters, then bring them on your thru-hike.

If you don't like wearing gaiters, don't bring them.

If you have no experience either way, well, you might go without for the first few days and reassess how you feel when you get to Neel(s) Gap. You can buy a set there if you think you'll want them.

I always wear gaiters in the winter with my trail runners and shorts. I have stopped wearing them all the time in warmer weather.

Wags
01-31-2009, 19:56
subjective

fiddlehead
01-31-2009, 21:02
If your gonna wear them, I'd go for lightweight sil-nylon ones with the purpose of keeping small pebbles out of your shoes. (AT)
For desert hiking out west, if you are going to be doing a lot of bushwhacking (pretty much all i do anymore) they help save your socks or at least a log of time spent pulling those little stickers out.
I used to sell the low-cut sil nylon ones but don't anymore. Maybe i'll start making them again.

weary
01-31-2009, 21:36
It depends on when you start. I never wore Gaiters in 1993 because I started in mid-April. The deepest snow I saw never reached the top of my hiking boots.

I'm going for a walk in the morning to explore an old route -- the route that x millennia ago diverted the Androscoggin River to Casco Bay. There's a couple of feet of soft snow on the marsh that once bypassed the entire Kennebec, allowing the Androscoggin to reach the Atlantic ocean without any mingling with Kennebec waters.

Only the foolish or ignorant wouldn't wear gaiters. But if I were starting the AT in February or March, I certainly would wear gaiters. Were I starting in April again, I would leave my gaiters home.

Weary

hopefulhiker
02-01-2009, 10:30
I liked the short ones to keep my trail runners free of pebbles. It also helped keep my socks/feet clean. You can get by without them. I would not wear them with boots. but they do not weigh that much and I like them...

Lyle
02-01-2009, 11:15
I'll expand a bit on my first post.

Gaiters are great in snow, I consider them indispensable then.

Other times they can be nice in certain situations:

- Cold wind - can help keep your legs warm when wearing polypros with shorts.
- During rain can delay your socks/boots from becoming "squishy". Most of the rain entering your boots will run down your bare legs, gaiters help divert the flow.
- Keep socks/boots somewhat dry in the morning after a heavy dew or over night rain when all the brush you will hike through is saturated.
- Can help if you are susceptible to poison Ivy, but be careful when handling the gaiters.
- Help to keep you socks/feet clean in mud and dust.
- Keeps the "stickers" from permanently attaching to your socks in desert environments

Most of the time I don't carry them. When I do, I carry breathable, not waterproof versions. Usually just ankle length, sometimes calf length.

Sure this doesn't really help to answer your original question, but it is a very subjective topic and each answer has a big "IF" proceeding it.

generoll
02-02-2009, 00:42
I use em as a part pf my rain gear. even with rain pants I get water runnung down my ankles or pant cuffs into my boots. I put the gaiters on when I put my rain pants on and pull the cuffs down over the gaiters.

SteveJ
02-02-2009, 13:37
If your gonna wear them, I'd go for lightweight sil-nylon ones with the purpose of keeping small pebbles out of your shoes. (AT)
For desert hiking out west, if you are going to be doing a lot of bushwhacking (pretty much all i do anymore) they help save your socks or at least a log of time spent pulling those little stickers out.
I used to sell the low-cut sil nylon ones but don't anymore. Maybe i'll start making them again.

silnylon wouldn't work for me in warm weather....the one time I wore my waterproof gaiters in the late spring, I quickly developed blisters, presumably due to my feet becoming so sweaty......

TrippinBTM
02-02-2009, 22:20
Definitely not necessary.

One word of advice. A hiker partner of mine was using his every day, mainly to keep stones and stuff out of his shoes, and we believe this lead to some severe chafing on his heels. It seems the moisture from his sweaty feet was being held in, which in addition to the high humidity in general, kept his feet too wet and led to really painful feet. We had to take several days off to let them heal. (fortunately, it was at the really awesome hostel in Glencliff, HN).

So, keep an eye on that. I don't know if it's a common problem, but it's something to keep in mind.

BR360
02-02-2009, 23:01
Agreed with others that Gaiters are useful in certain situations.

Also agreed that waterproof ones are perhaps a poor choice in the heat, as they reduce footwear breathability, and this can lead to a host of problems caused by the hot, wet environment for your feet.

So...If you want to try out cheap breathable gaiters:

Read entire instructions before proceeding.
Go to a thrift store and buy a pair of nylon workout pants that have the elastic around the cuff. Get some that fit. These cost about $5.00.
Cut the legs off the pants just below the knee. (You could use the top part as a pair of light hiker shorts!)
Pull the legs on upside down, so that the elastic rests above your sock top.
Mark where you need to trim off the remainder of the pants leg, so that they readily cover the top of your shoe. It may be helpful to have someone else do this, and to refer to a picture of gaiters online while doing so.
If you can sew, make a hem on the section you just cut.
Sew a 5 inch piece of string on the front, so you can lace this into your shoe laces. Try several different ways.
Also, sew a piece of string onto the inside of the leg part, and a buttonhole onto the corresponding outside of the gaiter, so that you can tie it under your instep.
Try them out.
If you can't sew, try duct-taping them across your foot arch and under your instep.
Try them out and adapt as needed.

Truth in posting: I've not tried this for 30 years, but I remember it worked pretty well back then. At least well enough for a week-long section hike in the summer.

Zia
02-03-2009, 01:15
I've use some small tight montbell's but my only complaint is the under strap wares out every 100 miles or so. I have to bring a lot of extra cordage.

SunnyWalker
02-08-2009, 21:41
If you wear shorts, I think gaiters would be helpful. I think it depends on how much you are willing to put up with. If you wear long pants, I don't see how they would be a good idea.

YoungMoose
02-08-2009, 21:43
its your personal choice. For me No way in hell.

whiterockjock
02-09-2009, 12:44
I hiked 1360 miles on the AT last year (before my girlfriend broke her leg) and did it all in Chaco sandals and Injinji toesocks...so believe all the crap on boots, gaiters and such...go with what works for YOU!

Lone Wolf
02-09-2009, 12:47

no. not at all. they look goofy too

Kirby
02-09-2009, 13:29
No need.

jersey joe
02-09-2009, 16:06
I found that by pulling rolling my knee high socks down over the edges of my boots I was able to keep the debris out of my boots and not have to wear gaiters.

BR360
02-09-2009, 16:10
no. not at all. they look goofy too

Lots of people look goofy too. Maybe they need to stay home, too ;).

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 16:34
Gotta agree with Wolf on this one, I've never worn the damned things. Anytime I get a twig or a stone in my shoe, well, I figure that's a good excuse to take a short break, and I'm happy to do it.

That being said, if you're gonna go with gaiters:

The short ones, in black or forest green, are tolerable.

The tall ones, especially the electric blue ones, not only make the wearer look Goofy, it makes them look their mother was intimate with Goofy.

You wanna wear pants?

Wear pants.

You wanna wear shorts, wear shorts.

Gaiters? Wear the short ones.

Or hell,yeah, you're gonna look powerful goofy.

Especially in town.

TrippinBTM
02-09-2009, 21:31
I remember this one guy last year kept wondering why he had such a bad rash on both his legs, and I just had to shake my head at his knee length gaiters in the blazing hot and humid Virginia weather. What a miserable experience that must be.

Weren't those things mainly designed for keeping SNOW out of boots?

take-a-knee
02-09-2009, 21:46
If you wear shorts, I think gaiters would be helpful. I think it depends on how much you are willing to put up with. If you wear long pants, I don't see how they would be a good idea.

Some UL short ones in Event or similar might be worthwhile to keep ticks from crawling up under your pant legs. Treat them with permethrin.

Tinker
02-09-2009, 21:50
Some UL short ones in Event or similar might be worthwhile to keep ticks from crawling up under your pant legs. Treat them with permethrin.

Gaiters are too short (even the long ones) to prevent ALL ticks from getting up your shorts. Wearing mesh bug pants is probably the best bet if ticks concern you, but beware - there may be other hikers (Sasquatch:rolleyes:) with cameras and friends with photoshopping experience (Doggie Bag)lurking. :p:o

streakerofAT
02-09-2009, 22:18
sry by the time i read all the post i forgot what the qeustion was let me scroll back up

streakerofAT
02-09-2009, 22:19
oh yeah there not needed

bigcranky
02-10-2009, 08:30
Or hell,yeah, you're gonna look powerful goofy.

Especially in town.

Haven't I seen a photo of you wearing a dress? In town? Hmmm.

For someone who is usually the master of tolerance and HYOH, you are surprisingly judgmental on this topic.

I will wear my shorts and my gaiters anywhere I want.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 14:07
Actually, I really HATE the expression Hike Your Own Hike, as too many people seem to have adopted it as permission to do whatever they damned please while hiking the Trail. In fact, for some time now, I've preferred "DBAD" to "HYOH". We'll deal with the translation at another time.

But yeah, there is indeed a famous photo of my in a dress. I put it on for a parade and costume contest in Hot Springs. I should also add that as a result, I won a dinner for two worth the better part of sixty bucks, so the two hours or so I was wearing a dress seemed to be a good investment at the time.

So let's see....... I was dressed ridiculously for two hours and was rewarded handsomely. As compared to people who look ridiculous for six months, and their reward is people checking them out and going "Geez, what the hell is up with that guy, and what are those Godawful things on his shins?

Cranky: It's a wonderful country. Wear your gaiters and look positively goofy anywhere you want, anytime you want, more power to you.

In the meantime, thanks for providing my laugh for the day.

Oh, one last thing. Your post referred to me as the "master of tolerance."

Where on earth did you get that extraordinary idea?

I make fun of silly people all the time.