PDA

View Full Version : Trash

pvtmorriscsa
05-02-2004, 15:06
Howdy All,
I know that I must pack out my trash. Nothing annoys me more than seeing trash strewn about a trail.
My question is how far am I going to be packing my trash before I find a dumpster or trashcan that I can deposit it in? I sure as hell don't want to carry extra weight any farther than I have too.
I know it is a silly question, but hell I am an FNG to this big a**ed walk so I figured I would ask.

SGT Rock
05-02-2004, 15:15
It depends on where you are. I have carried my own trash up to four days looking for a place to put it. But look at it this way: before you made the trash, you were actually carrying more weight. After it became trash there is still weight, but it is less than it was.

I have also packed out a lot more trash than I made, sometimes I have even carried someone elses trash up to three days or so.

pvtmorriscsa
05-02-2004, 15:40
Howdy Top,
Thanks for the info. As I said I am an FNG to this long distance marching thing, so don't be surprised if I ask more silly questions. Course I reckon the dumbest questions are the ones that are not asked.

Chappy
05-02-2004, 17:27
Howdy Top,
Thanks for the info. As I said I am an FNG to this long distance marching thing, so don't be surprised if I ask more silly questions. Course I reckon the dumbest questions are the ones that are not asked.

Don't agree that the dumbest questions are those not asked. Here goes two:
What's FNG?
Will you be marching on your hike? :)

SGT Rock
05-02-2004, 17:32
FNG = ******ing New Guy

and as for marching, Footmarch is the plan, here is a little military humor ref hiking: http://hikinghq.net/at_stuff/at.html

Chappy
05-02-2004, 17:47
FNG = ******ing New Guy

and as for marching, Footmarch is the plan, here is a little military humor ref hiking: http://hikinghq.net/at_stuff/at.html

Now, that's my kind of OPORD! BTW, I've learned much from your site in the past couple of months.

SGT Rock
05-02-2004, 17:52
Thanks Chappy. I don't think I know much more than other people about hiking, I just take the time to write it down.

Brushy Sage
05-02-2004, 19:21
Happiness is coming through the edge of a state park, with picnic tables, a trash receptacle, soft drink machine, and rest rooms with flush toilets, just as you were beginning to look for a place to take a lunch break.

bobgessner57
05-02-2004, 20:28
Happiness is coming through the edge of a state park, with picnic tables, a trash receptacle, soft drink machine, and rest rooms with flush toilets, just as you were beginning to look for a place to take a lunch break.

The only thing better is all of the above with a hot shower as in northern Maryland. Probably not more than 100 feet off the trail, too.

Moon Monster
05-03-2004, 10:13
I don't think I know much more than other people about hiking, I just take the time to write it down.

My sentiments of myself also. I think this is the best expression of the theme of this entire website. Thanks Rock.

Regarding trash cans, there are stretches in central Virginia which have trash cans at almost every intersection with a paved road.