PDA

View Full Version : What about the ones on the home front??

Hikerwannabe
01-31-2009, 23:20
What about the ones on the home front who keep everything going while you all are hiking but in the mean time we are the ones who are truely there for the LONG haul......... It seems to me Hikers talk about hikers and other hikers but never seem to mention along the way who has helped them get THAT far... can anyone give a nice thought of someone who has helped them doing the trail....Would be nice to hear sometimes:)

beerandpizza
01-31-2009, 23:23
home support rocks! :banana

buff_jeff
01-31-2009, 23:49
I couldn't have done what I have without the parental units. I agree, home support does rock! :banana

fiddlehead
02-01-2009, 00:18
Most probably use somebody back home for their first thru.

After that, you'll find it's not hard to do it yourself. Ship stuff from one town to another (that doesn't have much, like Glencliff NH for example or Port Clinton, PA)

Hiking teaches you to keep it simple and be self sufficient in many ways.

But sure, i appreciated the girlfriend who shipped me cookies or beer or things i wanted.

Tennessee Viking
02-01-2009, 01:41
Then you have to mention all the supporters along the trail like the maintainers, trail angels, hostel people, and other trail celebs along trail.

Nearly Normal
02-01-2009, 02:14
I couldn't have done what I have without the parental units.

Why not?

Red Hat
02-01-2009, 10:06
Hikerwannabe, you are doing a great job keeping KK out there on the trail. I'm sure he knows it, even if he doesn't say it often enough. Hang in there!

SGT Rock
02-01-2009, 10:09
It's a good idea for the support staff to be able to converse. Helps calm their fears if they have any and it helps them work out what works to help support the hiker better on the trail. It may even help the hiker learn what to do to keep that person(s) back home happy.

And most of all, let the support staff know they never "get it out of their system"

Smile
02-01-2009, 10:10
Support is a beautiful thing :)

Red Hat
02-01-2009, 10:17
And most of all, let the support staff know they never "get it out of their system"
My husband still doesn't understand why I have this "need" to hike after all my miles.

buff_jeff
02-01-2009, 11:39
Why not?

I've relied on them for rides to/from the trailhead almost every time. I had to bail on one hike and they didn't hesitate to pick me up. I pay for 95% of the costs of my hiking trips, but they do help out on occasion, too.

freefall
02-02-2009, 01:40
I couldn't have done what I have without the parental units. I agree, home support does rock! :banana
I received a bunch of help from both Mom and Dad. And I thanked them every chance I had, and still do.

superman
02-02-2009, 09:00
As I hiked the AT, a strange feeling came over me. It was something I hadn't felt since I was a teenager. It took a while to figure it out...it was the lack of stress. Hiking the AT was truly amazing but on town stops I would call my house. I could actually feel my stress level rise as I'd approach the phone. My girl friend at that time was not supportive/cooperative and she kept buying things we didn't need...using my money. I had given her access to my money to pay my bills and handle the home front while I was gone. I had been cautioned by someone on trailplace to not pay bills on line because it wasn't secure so I delegated it to someone that I thought I could trust on the home front. After I finished and went home, I looked at my statements and immediately knew something was very wrong. I had a complete accounting done of my finances and the woman had stolen $15,000 as I hiked the AT. I hadn't used any legal protection ...like a limited power of attorney. I had no legal recourse. Loosing the money didn't ruin me but it sure didn't make me smile. People who don't hike are evil.:rolleyes:

Blissful
02-02-2009, 10:46
Actually we have talked about it several times here on WB - :) I know I have....
Many give their thanks when they return from their hikes too, etc.

But I owe the success of my hike to those on the home front.

Maybe we should have a forum for home bodies to unite if they want...like we do for the class forums.

bredler
02-02-2009, 15:45
As I hiked the AT, a strange feeling came over me. It was something I hadn't felt since I was a teenager. It took a while to figure it out...it was the lack of stress. Hiking the AT was truly amazing but on town stops I would call my house. I could actually feel my stress level rise as I'd approach the phone. My girl friend at that time was not supportive/cooperative and she kept buying things we didn't need...using my money. I had given her access to my money to pay my bills and handle the home front while I was gone. I had been cautioned by someone on trailplace to not pay bills on line because it wasn't secure so I delegated it to someone that I thought I could trust on the home front. After I finished and went home, I looked at my statements and immediately knew something was very wrong. I had a complete accounting done of my finances and the woman had stolen $15,000 as I hiked the AT. I hadn't used any legal protection ...like a limited power of attorney. I had no legal recourse. Loosing the money didn't ruin me but it sure didn't make me smile. People who don't hike are evil.:rolleyes:

:eek: d'you drop that woman like a piece of steel cookware?

superman
02-02-2009, 17:31
:eek: d'you drop that woman like a piece of steel cookware?

Oh yeah...I think they call that a deal breaker. I put this little anecdote out every once in a while so folks will give some thought to these issues.

dixicritter
02-03-2009, 16:20
People who don't hike are evil.:rolleyes:

You know what, that's actually not 100% accurate. Yes you got messed over, but not all people who don't hike are evil. When Rock met me I didn't hike... Does that make me an evil person? :sun

It's a good idea for the support staff to be able to converse. Helps calm their fears if they have any and it helps them work out what works to help support the hiker better on the trail. It may even help the hiker learn what to do to keep that person(s) back home happy.

This is something I totally agree with too. Who knows better what a hiker supporter is going through than another hiker supporter? I've talked to several off the boards to answer questions, calm fears, lend my support to them, and sometimes just to say "Hey don't sweat it, you're doing just fine!"

I've also had to be the one to break it to many that the hiker doesn't ever get this hiking stuff out of their system. It ALWAYS comes back. Well at least for Rock it does...LOL.