PDA

View Full Version : Trail Fest Hot Springs

Nearly Normal
02-01-2009, 01:44
I see there is no web site dedicated to this for 2009.
Found several for referance.
April 24th, 25th

Anyone going this year?

Sly
02-01-2009, 02:08
Nope, I'll be here...

ADZPCTKO (http://www.pct77.org/adz/)

TOW
02-01-2009, 06:54
I am suppose to set up a booth there and sell Lone Wolf momentos.........

papa john
02-01-2009, 08:38
There will be a bunch of us hammock hangers down at the campground that weekend.

Ron Haven
04-24-2009, 13:50
will there be any rides back to Fontana?

Lone Wolf
04-24-2009, 14:52
I see there is no web site dedicated to this for 2009.
Found several for referance.
April 24th, 25th

Anyone going this year?

nah. kind of a lame festival

Nearly Normal
04-25-2009, 12:21
nah. kind of a lame festival

Not much to it the couple of times I went but I enjoyed the town and area around it. Good size and pace for me.

Lone Wolf
04-25-2009, 20:40
Not much to it the couple of times I went but I enjoyed the town and area around it. Good size and pace for me.

great town when the mass of hikers ain't there. i almost bought a place there but it don't offer what damascus does

Madison County Owl
04-26-2009, 00:08
great town when the mass of hikers ain't there. i almost bought a place there but it don't offer what damascus does

Thank goodness it does not, it is a different place. it does not belong to Virginia it belongs to Western North Carolina which should succeed from the state of North Carolina, and chase out all the developers who have tried and failed as they sit empty in bankruptcy.
Damascus is a great little town but it is Damascus and that is good
Hot Springs is itself and does not try to emulate other towns, ask Larry Riddle he can tell you about Hot Springs, Ask Jack Tarlin or Mountain man.
The main difference is that Hot Springs folk walk their own walk even amongst themselves they do not think all should walk the same, some follow the white blaze some go to the blue blaze “God bless the blue blazer Hiker trash” and there are those that follow the double yellow blaze and those fools who only think of the pink blaze. Perfection is for fools. It does not exist.
I for one will never sign a log book nor will I ever let anyone lnow where I walk, I always walk alone in my solitude. it is my style.

Lone Wolf
04-26-2009, 04:24
i don't need to ask tarlin, riddle or mountain man about hot springs. i been goin' there long before any of them ever stepped foot on the AT and you too probably

Madison County Owl
04-26-2009, 08:04
I did not realize that you were over 65 years old, maybe you were here before me.

But Hot Springs is itself and does not try to emulate other towns that was the key message

Lone Wolf
04-26-2009, 08:34
I did not realize that you were over 65 years old, maybe you were here before me.

But Hot Springs is itself and does not try to emulate other towns that was the key message

huh? i'm 50. i first went to hot springs 23 years ago

Chaco Taco
04-26-2009, 08:55
Hot Springs is such a cool town to walk into. Great people!

Madison County Owl
04-26-2009, 08:56
we have met before I was born here in a cabin went away and came back now Uncle sugar pays me and I stay in the woods...

By the way I do like you, its pirate that I think is obnoixious

and yes I am friendly with Ward Lenoard go figure, I always got along with him but havn't seen him in a long long time
And another favorite is Bjorne but have not seen him in a long time either but I know if he was on the trail I could hear him from a mile away.

Nearly Normal
04-26-2009, 13:07
Uncle sugar pays me and I stay in the woods...

Care to share how?

Lugnut
04-26-2009, 14:43
He's probably retired. 65 and all.

Big Oz
04-26-2009, 21:15
The ugliest people on this earth lives in Hot Springs.A beauty contest there would be a joke.:o

Madison County Owl
04-27-2009, 18:32
The ugliest people on this earth lives in Hot Springs.A beauty contest there would be a joke.:o

not as big of a joke as an intelligents contest in Beverly Hills, CA
after all that is the shaky side or land of fruits and nuts.... Ohhhhh sike

Ox97GaMe
04-28-2009, 12:52
I am going to have to disagree with you on one point Owl.......

Hot Springs started the Trail Fest the year that Damascus was talking about shutting down Trail Days. What I heard was that WingNut's intention was (maybe still is) to make Hot Springs the 'new' Damascus and to build Trail Fest into the 'new' Trail Days event.

Unfortunately for HS, Damascus opted instead to crack down a bit more on the 'unruly' aspects of Trail Days and have spent the past 5 years making it a respectable event to take the family to again. I dont see it dying out anytime soon.

As for Trail Fest, it doesnt seem to be that big of an interest to hikers. We fed 85 hikers last weekend near Max Patch. hikers that said that they would prefer to stay in the woods than hang around in a town where meals, lodging, and activities were overpriced during the 'festival'. Bottom line is that apparently more hikers are still opting to be part of the GBHF than to become part of TrailFest. And I expect next year's GBHF event to be the biggest ever.

Lone Wolf
04-28-2009, 13:16
Gbhf?.........

Blissful
04-28-2009, 14:35
Maybe Great Barrington Hiker fest? (I took a stab at it). :)

OldStormcrow
04-28-2009, 16:11
Gbhf?.........
Great Big Hikers Festival? Good Barbeque Ham Fest? Grunge Boys Having Fun? I give up....

Madison County Owl
04-29-2009, 10:55
I am going to have to disagree with you on one point Owl.......

Hot Springs started the Trail Fest the year that Damascus was talking about shutting down Trail Days. What I heard was that WingNut's intention was (maybe still is) to make Hot Springs the 'new' Damascus and to build Trail Fest into the 'new' Trail Days event.

Unfortunately for HS, Damascus opted instead to crack down a bit more on the 'unruly' aspects of Trail Days and have spent the past 5 years making it a respectable event to take the family to again. I dont see it dying out anytime soon.

As for Trail Fest, it doesnt seem to be that big of an interest to hikers. We fed 85 hikers last weekend near Max Patch. hikers that said that they would prefer to stay in the woods than hang around in a town where meals, lodging, and activities were overpriced during the 'festival'. Bottom line is that apparently more hikers are still opting to be part of the GBHF than to become part of TrailFest. And I expect next year's GBHF event to be the biggest ever.

First of All Wingnut isn't in Hot Springs anymore he is in GA. with two sick parents, he is writing another book that has nothing to do with hiking.
So folks should get over Wingnut he is outta of the hiking scene.
Trailfest was created by Jack Dalton, and some ALDHA folks
Trailfest was only to mark the peak hiker time in Hot Springs approx three weeks before Damascus, and I for one never really approved of either festival, I don't think they really promote hiking at all, as for over priced if you want to play you got to pay that is the cost of joining parties which is what I think of both trailfest and Trail DAZE, and last time I came up to trail DAZE both locals and myself agreed to many drunks.
In fact too many Drunks on the Trail sometimes, trail Angles are becoming Tavern owners in tents.... Debotury

Lone Wolf
04-29-2009, 12:49
getting food at road crossings ain't trail magic and the people that give it out ain't trail angels

Gray Blazer
04-29-2009, 12:53
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana “God bless the blue blazer Hiker trash”

Thank You.

Ox97GaMe
04-30-2009, 08:37
Im a bit dislexic this week. That should be BGHF.

Cookerhiker
03-12-2010, 23:16
I just received ALDHA's Long Distance Hiker and noted from their calendar that the Hot Springs Trailfest is tentatively set for April 24. But the referenced website trailfest.net is defunct. Does anyone know if the Trialfest is occurring? And what's it like, i.e. how many folks attend, is it just current year thruhikers or is there also significant participation from the greater "Trail Community?" The thread responses indicate it's rather small-scale (or as Wolf put it, "lame"), but it's in the ALDHA newsletter.