PDA

View Full Version : SOBO in early May?

buff_jeff
02-01-2009, 15:20
Some guy is telling me that he is going to head SOBO from Maine in early May. What's the trail like up there around that time? I understand that almost nobody starts SOBO this early due to the cold and adverse conditions in the Whites and in Maine, not to mention the bugs. Is it possible?

emerald
02-01-2009, 15:21
It's early for many reasons which will be mentioned in short order. Early starts present far more issues to be overcome for SOBOs than NOBOs and they result in more damage to the treadway.

4eyedbuzzard
02-01-2009, 15:24
That would be absolutely the worst time to hike in ME. Snow, then melting snow, raging creeks/streams, mud, blackflies, etc. There are people who hike ME in winter(and they're hardier than I)--but May? Either ignorant/uninformed or just plain dumb.

buff_jeff
02-01-2009, 15:26
It's on the AT facebook group. He mentioned that he was heading SOBO in May and I responded that it seemed like a poor decision.

His response was something along the lines of "mother nature ain't got nothin' on me!"

Seems like he's going to have to find out the hard way.

4eyedbuzzard
02-01-2009, 15:32
His response was something along the lines of "mother nature ain't got nothin' on me!"

His inflated ego should listen to Mr. Eastwood's quote, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Mother Nature ain't to be taken lightly, especially here in New England.

emerald
02-01-2009, 15:36
Seems like he's going to have to find out the hard way.

I hope he will be dissuaded. Otherwise, Mother Nature will make him wish he'd waited. She can be quite unforgiving of fools who fail to show proper respect.

take-a-knee
02-01-2009, 17:02
Baxter State Park isn't even open in May, is it?

emerald
02-01-2009, 17:17
Trails to Baxter Peak won't open before May 15 or even June depending upon conditions.

Refer to posts by TJ aka Teej for 2008 opening dates (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=630221&postcount=1) and prior years (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=189661&postcount=1).

mudhead
02-01-2009, 18:25
Baxter State Park isn't even open in May, is it?

Opens for camping @5/16. Trails open whenever, they decide it is safe. I have seen bare, dry ground in to Hurd Brook 5/16, and pretty much a lake up in Baxter.

Seems like there is always someone that takes off early, either from Abol Bridge, or who knows. Would not be for me. But maybe we will have a hot dry March. February already suks.

boarstone
02-02-2009, 12:21
For those that want to have an early start, here is one way...do the "100 mile wilderness" section before the park opens, back flip to do K once the Park is open and then pickup the trail back at Monson where you came out and continue on. Yes it can be not only high water but mightly bone chilling cold. Your widest crossings will be Big Wilson and the East branch of the Pleasant River, both at "normal" levels are knee-thigh high crossings. Other water crossings will me narrower but maybe swifter w/spring run-off. Will be detours around some secions of trail after Nahmakanta lake. Though numerous water crossings run through here, many are narrow, need to be gone around, will be over the trail in places and very very wet and muddy. I usually keep an update here on WB as spring breaks and the snow melts for this section as it's in my back yard.

woodsy
02-02-2009, 12:56
I think May is probably the only month that i have not hiked at all in Maine, but each to his/her own. It would be some tough and wet going out there. No thanks, not me.

tmoneygetpaid
02-05-2009, 14:28
Yep. Wait until June or even July. I think in general it's a good idea to get as early a start as possible to avoid cold temps at the end of a SOBO thru-hike, but at that point, you may have to face treacherous conditions at the north end.

I would also recommend against doing any of the flip-flopping lots of people seem to advertise. Much of the beauty in a thru-hike, at least to me, lies in the simplicity of walking straight from one point to another in a single direction.

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 14:30
I think it is worth it. i did parts of it in early june. It was perfectly fine. some colds were fine but others were a bit chilly

emerald
02-05-2009, 14:49
There's a difference between early May and early June and it's about more than 30 days!

Kanati
02-05-2009, 15:01
That would be absolutely the worst time to hike in ME. Snow, then melting snow, raging creeks/streams, mud, blackflies, etc. There are people who hike ME in winter(and they're hardier than I)--but May? Either ignorant/uninformed or just plain dumb.

.....Or tough enuff to do it. What's the word that's used when we judge others by our standards? I personally think doing something to prove it can be done is reason enough, if, that is what one likes to do. He probably already knows the risk and presumes the rewards or justification for doing it.

Good luck whoever you are.

Happy hiking. :sun

emerald
02-05-2009, 15:34
It's not about tough. The objections are about damage to the treadway before it has a chance to dry out some among other things.

It's mud season in Maine then. The streams can be quite high and Mainetainers may not have had the opportunity to clear their blowdowns, but, again, that's not about tough either -- it's about establishing new treadways around those blowdowns on soft earth which could then become rutted and disrupt drainage of the treadway further.

I once for a brief time maintained a beautiful section of the Maine A.T., one of my favorites. To access it in May, I had to drive on a haul road flooded by beaver activity though puddles that would have looked more like ponds to Southerners. It would amaze many not accustomed to such things I could access it at all.

Blissful
02-05-2009, 15:44
I'd think the stream crossngs in ME would be fun too...
Wilson stream was above the knee even in Sept with a bit of a drought in '07.

Kanati
02-05-2009, 19:25
Emerald, that was a good point about trail damage. I hadn't considered it.

Thanks.

weary
02-05-2009, 21:17
The only thing mentioned so far, that I disgree with is that black flies will be out in early May. Global warming may have speeded up the invasion, but in my experience serious fly problems begin around the third week of May.

And yes, they disappear most years by early July. Though southeners may not agree, that is what is. DEniers who think July is buggy, as compared with, say, June or July in Georgia just haven't experienced a Maine June.

But everything else in early May is not welcomed. I maintained a section of the trail between the slopes of West Peak and Whitecap for a couple of decades.

Most years I couldn't even get to my trail section by early May. I was blocked by four-foot drifts of soft snow. This forum has debated for years the wisdom of fording the Kennebec. Walking south from Katahdin in early May will bring you to a half dozen rushing streams that are at least as dangerous as the Kennebec in summer.

I've told this story before, but I can't resist. One May while working on the trail south of MOnson, a SOBO thru hiker walked by -- sans both shoes and pack. Her plaintive question? Do you have any idea where I might find my pack down stream? She had removed her shoes and loosened her waist belt. Both pack and shoes had been swept down stream. I had no useful advice. Her gear could tumble many, many miles down towards the ocean before anyone might notice.

Weary

think0075
03-18-2009, 18:34
I think the park opened on the 28th or maybe a little earlier than that last year. i went up on the 31st of may so i definetly didnt do maine in may but pretty much as close as i could get, and i dont know if i could suggest it to anyone. everyone is right the trail is sloppy muddy, river fords can get intense i had one up to my neck, and the bugs are relentless. but i cant say i didnt have a good time either. and it kind of makes you appreciate the rest of the trip more maine was nice but i was sure glad to get into new hampshire.

YoungMoose
03-18-2009, 19:00
the trail would be fine. You would get eaten alive by the black flys. im not even joking either