PDA

View Full Version : 20* sleeping bag for a May start in Va?

G. Rabbit
02-01-2009, 15:41
I'll be getting back on the trail nobo around May 1st where I left off around Daleville Va. I started at Springer in mid May last summer with my 45* bag and remember some very chilly nights until past the smokies and a few after. So I'm thinking of getting a warmer sleeping bag to start with this time.

Is a 20* sleeping bag overkill for May/June in Virginia, Maryland, and into Penn? I could switch it out with my 45* when it gets warmer. If I do start with my 45* will I be wanting a 20* for New Hampshire and Maine?

Any recomendations for synthetic 15-25* bags that are lightweight (3lbs maximum, preferably under 2lbs 8oz), not terribly expensive (under about $200), and true to their rating?
I don't think I'm ready to go with down yet. Trying to dry wet feathers doesn't sound like much fun and I don't think it's too practical for use after in Florida. But if I get a great deal on a great down bag, I probably won't turn it down...
My Mountain Hardwear ultralamina synthetic 45* weighs 1lb 8oz and I don't want to add too much to my base weight since I'm trying to get it down wherever possible. I'm hoping to replace my ultralite 3/4 foam mat with a 3/4 thermarest for the extra insulation (adding ounces already :eek:)

Also, please note I am a born and raised Floridian, a fairly lightweight female, and I usually sleep in the shelters - though I carry a tent for the coldest nights and nice camping spots.

Caveman of Ohio
02-01-2009, 15:51
I switched to my summer40* bag when I got to Dalevile on May 2 on my hike. Switched back to my winter 20* bag at Glencliff.

Slo-go'en
02-01-2009, 16:51
It tends to be a lot warmer in VA than NC in the spring, just because of the altitude difference. It can start to get hot in early May and down right sweltering by June.

20* bag would be over kill and a 45 might be a little marginal the first week or two. Maybe just get a liner for the occasional cold nights early on. Watch the weather for that area for a couple of weeks before you leave, that could give you an idea of which way to go.

I plan on getting on the trail at Marion VA in mid April with a 30* MontBell bag.

Frosty
02-01-2009, 16:53
Any recomendations for synthetic 15-25* bags that are lightweight (3lbs maximum, preferably under 2lbs 8oz), not terribly expensive (under about $200), and true to their rating? My guess is that you can't get all three (synthetic, under 2.5 #, inexpensive), but you can get any of the following:

a synthetic 15-25* bag that is not terribly expensive (under about $200) but is not true to its rating

a synthetic 15-25* bag that are lightweight (3lbs maximum, preferably under 2lbs 8oz) that is true to its rating, but is not under $200

a synthetic 15-25* bag under 2lbs 8oz that is true to its rating, but is not under $200

Two out of three ain't bad.