PDA

View Full Version : Comments on going from Katahdin Stream to Summit and down to Roaring Brook

ole nole
02-01-2009, 16:26
I'm planning a hike for August or September 2009 for my hiking group's annual hike, this is our 23rd year; is it reasonable to go up and over Katahdin or do most slack-pack up and back to the same point? We're a pretty hardy group but gettin old !:confused:

emerald
02-01-2009, 17:13
Go here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=693071&postcount=6) to read an older post of mine and click on the thread's title to open it and read the remainder. My post refers to routes from Pamola to Roaring Brook. Pamola is situated at the far end of The Knife Edge opposite Baxter Peak.

You'll find much helpful information which may answer all your questions by reading the thread. Follow up with others if you have them.

A trails map can be found on BSP's website and much information straight from the source related to most questions you are apt to have.

mudhead
02-01-2009, 18:38
I have enjoyed that, but I would not want to hump a full pack. Just me. I prefer to go from Roaring Brook to Baxter and KStream, but again that is just me.

weary
02-02-2009, 00:29
I'm planning a hike for August or September 2009 for my hiking group's annual hike, this is our 23rd year; is it reasonable to go up and over Katahdin or do most slack-pack up and back to the same point? We're a pretty hardy group but gettin old !:confused:
That was my first hike after coming back to Maine after a decade in the flatlands.

I'd been having some strange feelings in my chest so I left my wife and 11-month old daughter at an overflow camping site, and climbed to the summit from Katahdin Stream on the AT, down the Saddle to Chimney Pond, and out to Roaring Brook.

It seemed like a great way to learn whether my heart was failing. It wasn't. And didn't. Though I did have a heart valve replaced 40 years later. Oh well. Things happen.

Weary