PDA

View Full Version : Internet Access

Brett
02-01-2009, 16:50
Originally i didnt give a hoot about access to internet cause i wasnt planning on checking anything. But now a local radio station wants me to be on their show before i leave, and if possible email pics and info updates on my hike to them at points along the way. They said the listeners would love to hear about my updates on the air during my hike and check out pics on the stations website...which i think its pretty cool. But dont know how easy this would be to send pics. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

buff_jeff
02-01-2009, 16:55
You'll get internet roughly every 3-5 days depending on how fast you hike. It shouldn't be a problem at all.

Slo-go'en
02-01-2009, 16:58
Not hard at all. Pleanty of internet access at hostels and public libraries along the way.

Sly
02-01-2009, 17:09
I don't think there's any town library without internet these days and many of the hostel has it, along with motels.

You should consider getting a USB with portable apps. You can download your pics to the USB documents folder and upload them to a free photo hosting site for extra safety sake.

Use the portable apps suite.

http://portableapps.com/suite

If you get a USB with U3 software delete it before adding the apps.

Kanati
02-01-2009, 17:33
An on-line journal would be good also. Check out trailjournas.com

Scrapes
02-01-2009, 23:29
I don't think there's any town library without internet these days and many of the hostel has it, along with motels.

You should consider getting a USB with portable apps. You can download your pics to the USB documents folder and upload them to a free photo hosting site for extra safety sake.

Use the portable apps suite.

http://portableapps.com/suite

If you get a USB with U3 software delete it before adding the apps.

Interesting, this can be loaded onto any USB? Brilliant! How much experience do you have with it?

Spogatz
02-02-2009, 00:11
Try this site for photo editing on the trail
http://www.picnik.com/
It is pretty cool.

Sly
02-02-2009, 00:19
Interesting, this can be loaded onto any USB? Brilliant! How much experience do you have with it?

I have a 4gig one. Firefox with all my bookmarks, and Thunderbird with my mail (aol and gmail) besides the other programs and a few more including a music/video player. You can get bigger ones that would hold even more but after all my apps, some photos and music I still have 3gig left.

gonewalkabout
02-02-2009, 10:51
well i know its easy to find internet access in most towns however I've heard that during thru hiking season access might be difficuit as every other thru hiker will be doing the same. Any feedback?

Blissful
02-02-2009, 10:58
well i know its easy to find internet access in most towns however I've heard that during thru hiking season access might be difficuit as every other thru hiker will be doing the same. Any feedback?

No problems with that. Share and share alike (and at libraries, you have usually 30 minutes, but again no problems). Its not like towns and hostels are jammed with people waiting at these places. I mean we were in Maine at the Northern Woods place (I might have gotten the name wrong) with 30 plus hikers and they had one computer, I had no problem accessing it several times.

The only time you have to wait is Trail Days at Damascus. :)

buckwheat
02-02-2009, 20:57
... we were in Maine at the Northern Woods place (I might have gotten the name wrong).

You were most probably at Northern Outdoors (http://www.northernoutdoors.com/) in The Forks, ME.

http://www.northernoutdoors.com/media2/images/crop_488_212/resort/back-deck-main-lodge.jpg

This is one of my favorite places. I visit twice a year.

In winter, they'll set you up for snowmobiling Northern Maine's hundreds of miles of logging road. You can snowmobile all the way to Canada (as long as you can make it back by 4pm!) After the ride, take a dip in the enormous hot tub on the deck (pictured above).

In summertime, you can raft the Dead River when they release the water from the dams upstream. Afterwards, eat steak and relax by the pool.

There's a microbrewery on site with some great specialty beers; the staff are extremely friendly and very knowledgeable about what they do. The other guests are well behaved for the most part, and the accommodations are outstanding. Great food and drink. The main lodge is ginormous and most weekends there's live music, pool table, video games, etc.

They have one of the largest fireplaces I've ever seen in the main lodge.

I highly recommend the place.

Cheers,
Buckwheat

stevev
02-10-2009, 12:04
I am thru-hiking in April south to north I will have a blackberry to stay in touch with my family and friends in the UK do you know what the reception will be like and what is the best server to choose.

Steve from England

Kirby
02-19-2009, 16:07
I am thru-hiking in April south to north I will have a blackberry to stay in touch with my family and friends in the UK do you know what the reception will be like and what is the best server to choose.

Steve from England

Get free roaming, it will save you a lot of pain, that way you don't have to worry about who you have. Verizon dominates the south, although Sprint owns the tower in Damascus.

neo
02-20-2009, 15:58
Originally i didnt give a hoot about access to internet cause i wasnt planning on checking anything. But now a local radio station wants me to be on their show before i leave, and if possible email pics and info updates on my hike to them at points along the way. They said the listeners would love to hear about my updates on the air during my hike and check out pics on the stations website...which i think its pretty cool. But dont know how easy this would be to send pics. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

i have full unlimited internet and unlimted email access on my blackberry curve cell phone,plus gps,and doppler radar and a host of other stuff:cool:neo

The Weasel
02-20-2009, 16:12
My PDA phone takes pictures, has a mini keyboard and Word Mobile (and others) and a camera, and an expansion memory card. It will connect via WiFi at hotspots. I can sit outside most motels and connect to their WiFi for free to send/receive.

TW

Nightwalker
02-20-2009, 16:13

In the South, I get access at just about any high point that has a view (the phone, not me) of two towers. That happens multiple times, most days. In Maine, I got reception in the strangest places, like at brooks and large streams. Kind of like the signal was following the water or something weird. That was in 2005. There'll be more signal now. In VA, it varies an awful lot.

Nightwalker
02-20-2009, 16:15
Get free roaming, it will save you a lot of pain, that way you don't have to worry about who you have. Verizon dominates the south, although Sprint owns the tower in Damascus.

You get Alltel and Verizon in Damascus in TOW's house, in front of the car wash, and across the street from the library. Weird that anyone would know, right?