PDA

View Full Version : shortest thru-hike

Aesop
05-02-2004, 19:49
Does anyone know who has the record for the shortest AT thru-hike? Doesn't matter if it's from Katadin to Georgia or the other way around. Thanks!

SGT Rock
05-02-2004, 20:13
You mean short as in fastest, or shortest as in took the most short cuts?

Noggin
05-02-2004, 20:41
Does anyone know who has the record for the shortest AT thru-hike?
I do. Completed my WEBO (westbound) thru-hike in 1996. Hiked the entire 34 inches in 1.3 seconds. :rolleyes:

Ramble~On
05-02-2004, 20:45
There have been several "Speed Hikes" in the past few years. In one year two different people "speed hiked" both had extensive support crews and carried little more than day packs and did crazy daily miles.
I can't remember the exact time but for some reason 52 days keeps coming to mind.
I guess that for some this is "fun". For me though....the entire thru hike experience would be lost doing anything that fast.

Desert Lobster
05-02-2004, 20:50
The westbound or eastbound hikes on the AT are a lot faster!

AT record: set in 1999 by Peter "Cujo" Palmer

48 days 20 hours 11 minutes

It was a northbound hike.

Aesop
05-03-2004, 07:56
You mean short as in fastest, or shortest as in took the most short cuts? SGT: You are funny!I mean fastest from end to end. But a short cut record would be interesting!

Aesop
05-03-2004, 08:00
The westbound or eastbound hikes on the AT are a lot faster!

AT record: set in 1999 by Peter "Cujo" Palmer

48 days 20 hours 11 minutes

It was a northbound hike. Thanks Desert Lobster. THAT is almost unbelievable. I wonder how he did it and what shape he was in at the end?

Aesop
05-03-2004, 08:06
There have been several "Speed Hikes" in the past few years. In one year two different people "speed hiked" both had extensive support crews and carried little more than day packs and did crazy daily miles.
I can't remember the exact time but for some reason 52 days keeps coming to mind.
I guess that for some this is "fun". For me though....the entire thru hike experience would be lost doing anything that fast.
I agree Spirit Wind, plus I don't have enough friends to have a support crew for a month or more.

Peaks
05-03-2004, 08:07
Other than a EABO or WEBO hike, I'd guess that Earl Schaffer's hike was probably the shortest NOBO thru-hike. The reason is that the AT was shorter than. Now it seems that every time there is a relo, the trail only gets longer

Aesop
05-03-2004, 08:07
I do. Completed my WEBO (westbound) thru-hike in 1996. Hiked the entire 34 inches in 1.3 seconds. :rolleyes:
Hey Noggin. Did you have a support crew???:banana

Aesop
05-03-2004, 08:12
Other than a EABO or WEBO hike, I'd guess that Earl Schaffer's hike was probably the shortest NOBO thru-hike. The reason is that the AT was shorter than. Now it seems that every time there is a relo, the trail only gets longerPeaks, You don't know what year that was, or how long it took him, do you?:-?

Hammock Hanger
05-03-2004, 10:22
My friend Linguini hiked from Maine to Georgia in 97 days. That is carrying his lightwt pack the whole way, no ground support. He hiked and lived out ther like the rest of us.

In 2002 he walked 600 miles in 30 days from Maine to Cape Gaspe, Quebec. (Some of the SP were closed so he had to do a little road and rail walking.)

He just finished road walking from Georgia (Springer Mt) to Key West, FL 950 miles in 34 days. He did not ride in a car this entire trip. I tried to take him out to dinner but had to bring it as he didn't want to get in the car until he was done.

Sue/HH

walkon
05-03-2004, 11:00
i had a chance to hike with Overshot last summer in maine, he completed his northbound hike in 80! days. self supported, ultra-light. he mentioned he was a big road biker so i have been incorporating some cycling into my regimen and have found it to be a fun way to get huge legs. this guy went faster uphill than flat or downhill!
walkon

Aesop
05-03-2004, 11:22
My friend Linguini hiked from Maine to Georgia in 97 days. That is carrying his lightwt pack the whole way, no ground support. He hiked and lived out ther like the rest of us.

In 2002 he walked 600 miles in 30 days from Maine to Cape Gaspe, Quebec. (Some of the SP were closed so he had to do a little road and rail walking.)

He just finished road walking from Georgia (Springer Mt) to Key West, FL 950 miles in 34 days. He did not ride in a car this entire trip. I tried to take him out to dinner but had to bring it as he didn't want to get in the car until he was done.

Sue/HH 97 days...that is pretty awesome. HH. he must be tall and skinny and not eat much, huh?

Lone Wolf
05-03-2004, 11:24
In 1990, Ward Leonard hiked the AT in 60 days, self-supported, not so ultra-lite.

Aesop
05-03-2004, 11:25
i had a chance to hike with Overshot last summer in maine, he completed his northbound hike in 80! days. self supported, ultra-light. he mentioned he was a big road biker so i have been incorporating some cycling into my regimen and have found it to be a fun way to get huge legs. this guy went faster uphill than flat or downhill!
walkon
Walkon, I've got to figure out how to do this. It seems really hard to do regular speed, so hiking light and fast . man...

SGT Rock
05-03-2004, 11:30
In 1990, Ward Leonard hiked the AT in 60 days, self-supported, not so ultra-lite.

Doesn't Model-T mention Ward Leonard blowing past him a couple of times in his book? Seems like that book was set in 1990.

Dudeboard
05-03-2004, 13:40
I don't consider a slackpacker with a "support team" to be a legitimate thru-hiker. If you're not carrying your own weight, you don't deserve the patch.

Lone Wolf
05-03-2004, 13:43
That's a buncha BS! No rules dude! :jump

A-Train
05-03-2004, 14:21
I don't consider a slackpacker with a "support team" to be a legitimate thru-hiker. If you're not carrying your own weight, you don't deserve the patch.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but ***** the patch

Bankrobber
05-03-2004, 15:42
Anyone know if Ward Leonard is still in the hospital in Staunton? I heard he hiked the trail three times in one year. I wish that I had been in a shelter when Ward came in yelling in the middle of the night.
I second A-Train's and Wolf's posts.

Peaks
05-03-2004, 16:32
Peaks, You don't know what year that was, or how long it took him, do you?:-?

I believe the year was 1948 or 1949. I'd need to read his book "Walking with spring to find the answer.

Peaks
05-03-2004, 16:35

Maybe, but the ATC doesn't distinguish on how a person hiked. Supported or un supported, all in one shot, or done in sections over a lifetime, it's going the distance that counts in the eyes of the ATC.

SGT Rock
05-03-2004, 16:37
Aesop, get "Walking With Spring" to get the full poop on Earl's hike. He did it a few years later at 99 days too.

I would also reccomend "A Walk in the Woods" simply because Bryson lists some of these speed hikers and talks about them - like the one that was crying when he finished because he hated it so much.

There are a lot of good books that I would rather reccomend though that talk about doing it slow and "normal". I personally would prefer to have about 8 months to hike the At and do stuff like hit other trails along the way and have the time to enjoy them rather than see how fast I could do it.

Footslogger
05-03-2004, 17:07
I personally would prefer to have about 8 months to hike the At and do stuff like hit other trails along the way and have the time to enjoy them rather than see how fast I could do it.Right there with you Top. I acknowledge that some hikers like to see how fast they can complete a hike and that it certainly their prerogative. Those who have the desire and ability to literally "run" the AT deserve their share of credit.

I just remember that on my thru last year there were so many times when I wanted to quit early for the day and enjoy a special spot along the trail but felt the pressure to keep on keepin on. The wife and I are planning another AT thru down the road a bit (this time together) and the first thing we agreed on was that we would allow ourselves at least 7 months to complete the trail.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
05-03-2004, 17:13
Seven months - VERY good idea. I think if I had seven or eight months, then the best plan would be to start south in March, then if the time is getting crunched to make it to Katahdin before snow, then flip-flop.

Footslogger
05-03-2004, 17:31
Seven months - VERY good idea. I think if I had seven or eight months, then the best plan would be to start south in March, then if the time is getting crunched to make it to Katahdin before snow, then flip-flop.
You're right on the money. March 1 start date with an October 1 Katahdin summit ...that's the plan. But I seriously doubt that we'd flip. We've both done the Katahdin thing in October before and prefer to go straight through and finish in Maine.

I started last year on March 29th and summitted Katahdin on October 9th. Starting a whole month earlier would give us plenty of time to enjoy ourselves and still make it to "K" by 10/1.

'Slogger

weary
05-03-2004, 17:34
I forget the year, but I met Linguini on a trail maintenance trip on the summit of White Cap the year he did his 97 day south bound. As I remember he was stocky, medium height and probably in his 50s.

I also met the two 1991 competitors while hiking Maine with my 9-year-old grandson. Both passed us enroute to Katahdin. One stopped to chat, the other just blew by. I think the guy who stopped was Mainiac. The winner was may be a guy named Horton? If I remember rightly one ran the trail. The other just put in 16 + hour days.

I read later that one of them at least was still having nightmares about the trail a year later.

1991 was also the year that Ward Leonard attempted his endurance record. He left Springer in January, walked to Maine, and then back to Georgia. He passed us in August on his second trip to Maine and a few days later heading back to Georgia.

I asked if he expected to make it all the way to Georgia a second time. "I don't know," he replied. "I have financial and emotional problems."

I've told this story before but for the benefit of those who missed it. Ward was notorious for not talking to people he met on the trail, except for an occasional slam at the hiking ability of other hikers.

But my grandson had had difficulty learning to read and communicated with the world mostly by asking questions. No one on our 270 mile walk escaped his queries -- not even Ward.

Anyway, after telling me about his trip back to Georgia, Ward demanded, "Is that your grandson?"

"Yup," I replied.

"Good," said Ward. "He's the first person I've met on this trail bright enough for me to talk to!"

Weary

SGT Rock
05-03-2004, 17:41
Good story.

Aesop
05-04-2004, 08:03
Aesop, get "Walking With Spring" to get the full poop on Earl's hike. He did it a few years later at 99 days too.

I would also reccomend "A Walk in the Woods" simply because Bryson lists some of these speed hikers and talks about them - like the one that was crying when he finished because he hated it so much.

There are a lot of good books that I would rather reccomend though that talk about doing it slow and "normal". I personally would prefer to have about 8 months to hike the At and do stuff like hit other trails along the way and have the time to enjoy them rather than see how fast I could do it.
SGT. yes, I read Bryson's book. I'll check on WwS. Thanks. I want to hike it as slow as possible, but work demands me home and enslaved. I guess I'm too addicted to a steady income to quit my job and hike. So weekends is where I'm at.

Lone Wolf
05-04-2004, 08:10
Just for the record Weary, Maineak and Horton weren't competing. They both planned their trips without knowing about each other. It just so happend that Horton started a few days after Maineak. Maineak's goal was 56 days and he finished just under that.

Aesop
05-04-2004, 08:13
But my grandson had had difficulty learning to read and communicated with the world mostly by asking questions. No one on our 270 mile walk escaped his queries -- not even Ward. Weary[/QUOTE]

Weary, your grandson sounds like a lovely person. I hope to meet him on the trail someday, and you too.

Lone Wolf
08-20-2007, 08:19
Does anyone know who has the record for the shortest AT thru-hike? Doesn't matter if it's from Katadin to Georgia or the other way around. Thanks!

Andy Thompson. 47 days

Jim Adams
08-20-2007, 10:08
In 1990 I was hiking up Shuckstack on my nobo thru and Ward passed me headed sobo to Springer. He then made it to Springer, turned nobo and passed me again between Hot Springs and Erwin! He was a head case but man was he a hiker!

Yes, Ward is in Model T's book. that was JR's first thru.

geek

The Weasel
08-20-2007, 10:17
I'm surprised that no one has looked at the REAL "shortest" thru hike: The AT is a "dynamic trail" with trail changes happening constantly, and the AT of 2007 isn't the same trail really as it was 50 years ago. Most dramatically, it was shortened in the '60s when the southern terminus was moved to Springer.

So the question ALSO is: What was the shortest - in miles - thru hike. That would be found, probably, by checking data books (and equivalents) back to when the trail was finished to see what year it had the fewest miles. Then who thruhiked it that year. "Shortest thruhike of the shortest AT" might also be interesting to find out.

The Weasel

Jim Adams
08-20-2007, 10:25
Ward demanded, "Is that your grandson?"

"Yup," I replied.

"Good," said Ward. "He's the first person I've met on this trail bright enough for me to talk to!"

Weary[/quote]

Yes, that was definitely WARD!:banana

geek

Hikerhead
08-20-2007, 13:23
I'm surprised that no one has looked at the REAL "shortest" thru hike: The AT is a "dynamic trail" with trail changes happening constantly, and the AT of 2007 isn't the same trail really as it was 50 years ago. Most dramatically, it was shortened in the '60s when the southern terminus was moved to Springer.

So the question ALSO is: What was the shortest - in miles - thru hike. That would be found, probably, by checking data books (and equivalents) back to when the trail was finished to see what year it had the fewest miles. Then who thruhiked it that year. "Shortest thruhike of the shortest AT" might also be interesting to find out.

The Weasel

I wouldn't be surprised if Earl Shaffer has the title of walking the shortest Thru Hike. In the time that I have been interested in the AT, I can't remember any relo's that shortened the mileage from point A to point B.

max patch
08-20-2007, 13:38
I wouldn't be surprised if Earl Shaffer has the title of walking the shortest Thru Hike. In the time that I have been interested in the AT, I can't remember any relo's that shortened the mileage from point A to point B.

I bet you're right about Earl having the shortest hike.

I don't have a list of the trail mileage by year, but the trail is 0.6 miles shorter this year than last year because of a relo. Thats the second year in a row the trail has shortened IIRC.

I'd also be willing to guess that the trail length decreased the year the terminus was changed to Springer.

Mags
08-20-2007, 13:39
The real question is Who was the shortest thru-hiker?

Google Milo and the Parapackers for one take on this thought...

warren doyle
08-20-2007, 13:57
Shortest hike of the Appalachian Trail? Andrew Thompson (Trail Dog / runner / full support) set the endurance standard on his fourth attempt during the summer of 2005 : 47 days 13 hours 31 minutes. This time will be very hard to shorten.

The Appalachian Trail at its shortest length? probably during the 15-18 year stretch after it was moved north to Springer. There was no Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands loop from the Iron Mountain Trail; no loop from Walker Mt. over to Burkes Garden; and it was less circuitous in Maine.

The trail was about 2070 miles long in 1973 when I hiked it first. However, that did include the recent Mt. Rogers reroute, so it was shorter before that year.

Crazy Legs
08-20-2007, 14:31
Doesn't Model-T mention Ward Leonard blowing past him a couple of times in his book? Seems like that book was set in 1990.

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember coming across and article stating Ward hiking the AT 3 times in one season, NOBO-SOBO-NOBO. Very excentric, stange individual. Wonder what he's up to nowadays?

Lone Wolf
08-20-2007, 14:41
Very excentric, stange individual.

being a paranoid schizophrenic does that to a person

The Weasel
08-20-2007, 14:43

I went past several between GA and VA in '00, where acquisitions eliminated problem sections and sometimes roads. Shaffer's hikes mostly went to Oglethorpe or started there, longer than starting/ending at Springer.

But isn't this determinable in some fashion?

The Weasel

Sharkey
08-20-2007, 15:05
I read where someone CLAIMED to have hike the AT in 37 days, 2 hours and 23 minutes. No mention of the person's name or when it was done. (found in The Thru-Hiker's Handbook by WF and I know I read it somewhere else) Either way, that's too fast for me to enjoy the hike.

max patch
08-20-2007, 15:26
I read where someone CLAIMED to have hike the AT in 37 days, 2 hours and 23 minutes. No mention of the person's name or when it was done. (found in The Thru-Hiker's Handbook by WF and I know I read it somewhere else) Either way, that's too fast for me to enjoy the hike.

Someone posted on Trailplace that they had done a hike in that time frame, but I don't think anyone thot that the individual was even remotely credible.

I'm positive that you didn't read that in WF's handbook. Dan would consider that a "stunt" and wouldn't mention it even if the record had been 100% verified.

The Old Fhart
08-20-2007, 15:29
The Weasel-"Shaffer's hikes mostly went to Oglethorpe or started there, longer than starting/ending at Springer....But isn't this determinable in some fashion?" You can get a pretty good estimate by checking the mileage in the older guidebooks. For instance my 1942 "Guide To The Appalachian Trail In The Southern Appalachians" lists the distance from Oglethorpe to Damascus as 420.21 miles. If you subtract the 23.1 miles from Oglethorpe to Springer, the distance from Springer to Damascus was 397.11 miles in 1942 while in 2007 it was about 459.5 miles which, interestingly, was 0.3 miles shorter than the 2004 distance. I'm not sure the length in 1948 but even with Earl starting at Oglethorpe and you add those 23.1 miles at the southern end, remember he didn't get his maps for the Whites in time and his trip may have been shortened by about 13 miles there. The total length of the A.T. in 1942 was 2059.9 miles

I believe generally the trail is growing slowly but there are times when it will lose slightly as well. In 2004 the length was 2174.1 while in 2007 it was listed as 2168.8.

Sharkey
08-20-2007, 15:39
Someone posted on Trailplace that they had done a hike in that time frame, but I don't think anyone thot that the individual was even remotely credible.

I'm positive that you didn't read that in WF's handbook. Dan would consider that a "stunt" and wouldn't mention it even if the record had been 100% verified.

Found the information in two different editions of WF's book. In the 2007 edition of the Thru-Hiker's Handbook it's on page 22 (What's the Record?). He does mention that there are no fixed standards for establishing or verifying claims and that the claims can believed or not. I'm not saying this claim is true, just reporting what I've read and where I found it.

D'Artagnan
08-20-2007, 15:40

It's on Page 22 in my 2006 Edition: "...Currently, the shortest claimed time for hiking the entire Appalachian Trail is 37 days, 2 hours, and 23 minutes."

max patch
08-20-2007, 15:42
It's on Page 22 in my 2006 Edition: "...Currently, the shortest claimed time for hiking the entire Appalachian Trail is 37 days, 2 hours, and 23 minutes."

Wow. Thanks for correcting my error.

D'Artagnan
08-20-2007, 15:42
Found the information in two different editions of WF's book. In the 2007 edition of the Thru-Hiker's Handbook it's on page 22 (What's the Record?). He does mention that there are no fixed standards for establishing or verifying claims and that the claims can believed or not. I'm not saying this claim is true, just reporting what I've read and where I found it.

Dang, I was coming to your defense since I had just run across the same thing while looking at some mileage for a Labor Day Weekend hike. We posted at practically the same time. :D

Hikerhead
08-20-2007, 18:18
You can get a pretty good estimate by checking the mileage in the older guidebooks. For instance my 1942 "Guide To The Appalachian Trail In The Southern Appalachians" lists the distance from Oglethorpe to Damascus as 420.21 miles. If you subtract the 23.1 miles from Oglethorpe to Springer, the distance from Springer to Damascus was 397.11 miles in 1942 while in 2007 it was about 459.5 miles which, interestingly, was 0.3 miles shorter than the 2004 distance. I'm not sure the length in 1948 but even with Earl starting at Oglethorpe and you add those 23.1 miles at the southern end, remember he didn't get his maps for the Whites in time and his trip may have been shortened by about 13 miles there. The total length of the A.T. in 1942 was 2059.9 miles

I believe generally the trail is growing slowly but there are times when it will lose slightly as well. In 2004 the length was 2174.1 while in 2007 it was listed as 2168.8.

The Companion for 2002 list the trail at 2,168 miles. It would be interesting to have a spread sheet showing each year and the total mileage of the trail for that year. I wouldn't be surprised if that info is already available somewhere.

rickb
08-20-2007, 18:53
Seven months - VERY good idea.

That sort of guarantees much of your hike will be sitting on a porch in town, or at a diner scarfing burgers.

Not so bad, IMHO.

Just not sure that it would be better than 5 months in the woods. Mostly.