PDA

View Full Version : Food

ibigler5
02-01-2009, 17:13
Can you guys provide me with some examples of the food (and how much) you start the trail with?

Hikes in Rain
02-01-2009, 17:35
I usually start with a Lipton/Knorr side (I'm eyeing the ones with veggies) and one of the pouched meats. Add some pepper, cheese of appropriate source if it seems good. That's generally dinner. Breakfast, I like cheese grits, with bacon bits and more cheese. Or a bagel with summer sausage and cheese. Lunch I either skip if I'm just starting out and my appitite hasn't kicked in, or some trail mix or summer sausage and cheese. (I really like sausage and cheese, but because of the fats, I generally only eat it when I hike. Once a year, maybe? *sigh*)

SGT Rock
02-01-2009, 17:58
For 3 days food:

6 packs grits.
6 breakfast bars
9 coffee singles
9 Snicker bars
1 bag of jerky (4 oz)
1 bag of gorp (6 oz)
1 summer sausage
1 bag of tortillas
1 package of minestrone soup
1 zip lock of instant potatoes
1 bag of cheese singles
3 liptons
1 box instant pudding
6 tea bags various blends
4 ounces olive oil
1 bottle tobasco
2 ounces parmesan cheese
3 packages of ramen
6 packets of drink mix

Gaiter
02-01-2009, 18:29
look through the cooking and food section
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51

Tennessee Viking
02-01-2009, 20:28
I think Sarge has it down to a science.

I have been learning to go with anything that is light, compact, and long shelf life. Dehydrated meals, soup mixes, astronaut icecream, sport drink powder, ramen noodles, crackers, fruit/nutrition bars, jerky, trail mix....and supply of storage bags.

Stay away from canned goods. Those will be heavy and hard to pack unless you got the room.

Some hikers will pack meats and veggies one their first day after a resupply.

I love the dehydrated eggs and bacon, and astronaut ice cream sandwiches.

Kanati
02-01-2009, 23:06
For 3 days food:

6 packs grits.
6 breakfast bars
9 coffee singles
9 Snicker bars
1 bag of jerky (4 oz)
1 bag of gorp (6 oz)
1 summer sausage
1 bag of tortillas
1 package of minestrone soup
1 zip lock of instant potatoes
1 bag of cheese singles
3 liptons
1 box instant pudding
6 tea bags various blends
4 ounces olive oil
1 bottle tobasco
2 ounces parmesan cheese
3 packages of ramen
6 packets of drink mix

Great list. I wish MRE's weren't so heavy. I would like to carry those.

SGT Rock
02-01-2009, 23:54
Ughh. I hate MREs.

Desert Reprobate
02-02-2009, 00:06
They are a lot better than the old C rats

ChinMusic
02-02-2009, 00:22
Can you guys provide me with some examples of the food (and how much) you start the trail with?
I think "start the trail" is the operative part of the question.

You won't feel like eating much at the beginning. What Sarge posted looks to me like WAY too much food for the start.

You will eat like a sparrow in the beginning.

I know I don't eat as much I as thought I would during the first few days.

mindi
02-02-2009, 10:32
I agree..my hiker hunger didn't kick in for a long while and I carried way too much food to start out. I started with the instant potatoes and I could barely eat a quarter of one. I think lighter foods in the beginning..oatmeal or grits for breakfast, ramen or similar for dinner, and things like poptarts, granola bars, sausage, and peanut butter or tuna on a tortilla for lunch/snack.

dradius
02-02-2009, 10:49
Something I wish someone would have told me when starting out is to stay away from the fancy (and expensive) stuff, such as mountain house, MREs, etc. Buy a $50 dehydrator, a $4 ziploc vacuum pump thing and a couple of boxes of the ziploc freezer bags that work with the pump. you'll be able to eat very good, and in the long run it will be cheaper as well. nothing like eating a big bowl of spaghetti after hiking all day.

Blissful
02-02-2009, 11:23
Or look for a dehydrator at a yard sale and spend hardly anything. It was the best $4 I ever spent. :)

Dogwood
02-02-2009, 12:56

Many books containing trail foods and recipes found in hiking book sections at most book stores. Check them out if U R new to backpacking.

Knocky
02-02-2009, 16:47
I still like, and often use, MREs. I break them down into 'parts'. I also and addicted to MH and other freeze dry meals.
You might be surprised to find just how many items in your regular pantry will work well on the trail.