PDA

View Full Version : Are Alcohol Stoves for beginners

Jayboflavin04
02-01-2009, 17:20
I'm a newbie. Have a little backpacking experience, but not in the cooking department. I plan on purchasing a Feather Fire alky stove. Seems to me that using a alky stove takes some experience, and limits your food selection. Pasta and rice dishes takes 15 min (from cold to boil to cook). Do alky stoves burn long enought to do any fancier type cooking. I have read that this feather fire burns for about 30min on 2oz (simmer mode) Dont like the idea of a canister stove until they can refill em.

SGT Rock
02-01-2009, 17:23
It depends on what you want to do. You can simmer on them if you use the right kind. And no, it ain't for "pros" as boyscouts can make and use these on their first trip.

My suggestion is to try making one and play with it. If you fiddle with one for a while you may find it meets your needs and you can make it for free. If it doesn't meet your needs, then you can start trying to figure out what stove you need to buy to do so.

Hikes in Rain
02-01-2009, 17:28
I think they'd do just fine with beginners. I could use my first attempt (Super cat stove I made in about five minutes) the first time, with no trouble. When hiking, I do mostly the rice and pasta dishes you'd mentioned (albeit with considerably faster times than you indicate), and you can get some pretty fine eating with just those. At home I do a lot of pretty elaborate cooking, and I can see doing that on an alcohol stove, too, although after a long hike, I'm not all that interested in elaborate techniques.

Smile
02-01-2009, 17:35
SGT. ROCK had great suggestions about fiddling around with one. I don't think there are any stoves that would fall into a beginner/experienced type situation with hiking. Like any new piece of gear, you have to get to know it, and how to use it properly - something one does before the hike, not once you get out there.

You'll do just fine! Have a terrific hike, and let us know how your experimenting went :)

hoz
02-01-2009, 17:44
I hear the "featherfire" is one of the best engineered stoves on the market. It simmers and flat out boils and can be adjusted on the fly easily.

Alcohol stoves are almost idiot proof so I see no reason a beginner couldn't use one.

Check our Sarbars 'Freezer Bag Cooking" website on pre boiling pasta and rice then dehydrating them for quick and easy camp cooking. No need for long boil/simmer times in camp.

beakerman
02-01-2009, 17:55
And no, it ain't for "pros" as boyscouts can make and use these on their first trip.

As a scout leader I can tell you the sentiment is correct but the new scouting regs prohibit liquid fuels on BSA outings...It's a shame too because the alky stove is a lesson in so many things: recycling, thermodynamics...etc....the list goes on. Its remarkable for such a simple device to be so educational. Rules are rules though.

Jayboflavin04
02-01-2009, 18:02
Food dehydrator is definitley in the plans. I am thinking about ordering Sabars book. I have book call "The Backcountry Kitchen" by Teresa Morrone. It has some cool stuff in there, but also has alot of "Camp" cooking also.

I have experimented with making my own alky stoves (they arent pretty), but they do boil water, but dont seem that efficient, burn time approximately 8-12 min on 30ml(1oz).

I also here the simmer feature on the feather fire is a bit fussy.

Good posts folks. Thanks SGT, for answering all my silly questions that you propably have read a million time before.

Jason

SGT Rock
02-01-2009, 18:05
Feather fire is OK. Other stoves are OK. There is no perfect stove. You gotta find the right one for what you want to do. For me the Ion stove is the perfection of alcohol stoves, but it ain't for everyone.

Gaiter
02-01-2009, 19:09
just google alcohol stoves, you'll see hundreds of designs, have fun play around see if you like them...its more about whats right for you

sarbar
02-01-2009, 20:42
If all you are doing is boiling water, alchy stoves work great. (Heck, with enough practice you can do real cooking as well!).

I would hedge that by the comment of rice and pasta dishes taking 15 minutes total time you might be referring to using items like Lipton/Knorr side dishes? With those all you need to do is add everything to the pan, bring to a boil and let the flame run out on the alchy stove, then pop in a pot cozy for 10 to 15 minutes to finish cooking with the carry over heat. Works well!

As for say using instant rice all you need to do is bring your water to a boil, add in the dry ingredients, stir well cover tightly and put in a cozy - the cozy does well for preserving carry over heat.

(The notes above would be for one pot meals made and eaten out of your pot.) This will cut your cook time in half easily :)

Farr Away
02-01-2009, 20:42
Absolutely for beginners. I made and used the alcohol stove on Sgt Rock's website for my first backpacking trip. Worked great, and I'm still using it going into my fourth year.

Feral Bill
02-01-2009, 21:48
[quote=SGT Rock;769746] There is no perfect stove.

Sure there is! :)http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:3q7-umzCjBDBxM:http://www.shop4campinggear.com/files/2024884/uploaded/300023.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.shop4campinggear.com/files/2024884/uploaded/300023.jpg&imgrefurl=http://campingequipmentblog.com/46/another-classic-piece-of-camping-gear/&usg=__xtnCT-w7lhWJ-_vvjoaK29ufTbY=&h=450&w=450&sz=29&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=3q7-umzCjBDBxM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsvea%2Bstove%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls %3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGIK%26sa%3DN)

GeneralLee10
02-01-2009, 22:22
I have the FeatherFire stove and have made my own alcohol stoves. I must say that the FeatherFire is pretty nice. I was out this weekend and maid some Muffins in the morning that takes a simmer worked great. I do have an canister stove also but have been using the alkey the most. The fuel is much easier to keep track of than a canister. You can not be a clumsy person or you will get burnt. I also had to make a new pot stand for my FeatherFire the Tri stand does not work all that well.

charlie2008
02-02-2009, 00:53
I have used Sgt. Rocks stove, Cat stove, using a Pocket Rocket right now and small fuel cannister for FB cooking (pasta's, rice) at the current time and still carry a tea light stove for coffee and as a backup. Had the most fun building all kinds of alky stoves even when I set the curtains on fire. Wife says I should stick to cannister stoves. :-).........Something about building ur own stove..........

karo
02-02-2009, 14:32
Does anyone have a link to the feather fire stove?

Don H
02-02-2009, 14:51
As a scout leader I can tell you the sentiment is correct but the new scouting regs prohibit liquid fuels on BSA outings..
Not true, from the Guide to Safe Scouting, section VII "Knowledgeable adult supervision must be provided when Scouts are involved in the storage of chemical fuels, the handling of chemical fuels in the filling of stoves or lanterns, or the lighting of chemical fuels. The use of liquid fuels for starting any type of fire is prohibited."

GeneralLee10
02-02-2009, 15:08
Does anyone have a link to the feather fire stove?

http://www.packafeather.com/stove.html this is the link I believe.

SteveJ
02-02-2009, 16:48
Not true, from the Guide to Safe Scouting, section VII "Knowledgeable adult supervision must be provided when Scouts are involved in the storage of chemical fuels, the handling of chemical fuels in the filling of stoves or lanterns, or the lighting of chemical fuels. The use of liquid fuels for starting any type of fire is prohibited."

<thread drift on>

Thanks, Don - I was about to correct that, also:

http://www.scouting.org/healthandsafety/gss/gss07.aspx#a

I think that many troops develop and impose rules that go further than the Guide to Safe Scouting. My sons' Scoutmaster is a firefighter (retired last year), and he simply will not allow the boys to carry liquid fuel. In private conversation, he admits that if we were in the north and camping in more extreme conditions, he would have to moderate his position.

<thread drift off>

I've carried brasslite stoves for several years....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17786&catid=member&imageuser=6309

As you can see, simple enough for an 11 year old (with a little supervision ;))

Peaks
02-02-2009, 17:17
At Philmont, most every crew uses white gas stoves. It would be a major change to start stocking commissaries with canisters (even though they do stock the Powermax canisters now)

dzierzak
02-03-2009, 11:27
From the 2008 Treks guide:

"White Gas, Powermax fuel and varieties of isobutane/propane fuel type canisters will be available at Philmont’s Trading Posts located at Camping Headquarters, Phillips Junction, Ute Gulch, Baldy Town and Ponil. Fuel will also be available for purchase at Apache Springs, Rich Cabins and Ring Place."

Was there this past summer (2008). Other canisters were in evidence at the Trading post - I just don't remember which ones...

ed

Tinker
02-03-2009, 12:14

Sure there is! :)http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:3q7-umzCjBDBxM:http://www.shop4campinggear.com/files/2024884/uploaded/300023.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.shop4campinggear.com/files/2024884/uploaded/300023.jpg&imgrefurl=http://campingequipmentblog.com/46/another-classic-piece-of-camping-gear/&usg=__xtnCT-w7lhWJ-_vvjoaK29ufTbY=&h=450&w=450&sz=29&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=3q7-umzCjBDBxM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsvea%2Bstove%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls %3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGIK%26sa%3DN)

Noisy little anchor!;)

Tinker
02-03-2009, 12:18
I have used Sgt. Rocks stove, Cat stove, using a Pocket Rocket right now and small fuel cannister for FB cooking (pasta's, rice) at the current time and still carry a tea light stove for coffee and as a backup. Had the most fun building all kinds of alky stoves even when I set the curtains on fire. Wife says I should stick to cannister stoves. :-).........Something about building ur own stove..........
That is TOO funny!

I thought I was the only one to toast the curtains!:jump:datz:D

I'm another one. If it burns, try to cook with it - wood, alcohol, esbit, cannister, white gas, even gelled alcohol (forget that stuff).

nero
02-03-2009, 12:34
How easy is denatured alcohol to obtain on the trail?

beakerman
02-03-2009, 14:07
<thread drift on>

Thanks, Don - I was about to correct that, also:

http://www.scouting.org/healthandsafety/gss/gss07.aspx#a

I think that many troops develop and impose rules that go further than the Guide to Safe Scouting. My sons' Scoutmaster is a firefighter (retired last year), and he simply will not allow the boys to carry liquid fuel. In private conversation, he admits that if we were in the north and camping in more extreme conditions, he would have to moderate his position.

<thread drift off>

I've carried brasslite stoves for several years....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17786&catid=member&imageuser=6309

As you can see, simple enough for an 11 year old (with a little supervision ;))

Well I saw that too when I went back and looked for it based on a PM I got...it turns out it's a council thing. I checked my rules based on the trainig I got and they simply state no liquid fuels--they don't specify the usage for starting and what not.

So I guess I stand sort of corrected.

Mags
02-03-2009, 17:12
I think that many troops develop and impose rules that go further than the Guide to Safe Scouting. My sons' Scoutmaster is a firefighter (retired last year), a

When I was in Boyscouts, we used to use Magic Boyscout Water (coleman fuel!) to start a fire. We made sure Mr. Johnson was not looking of course (he was the ASM).

12 yr olds love anything that is flammable. :) True now, true 20 yrs ago, it will be true 20 yrs from now! :D

SteveJ
02-03-2009, 17:18
When I was in Boyscouts, we used to use Magic Boyscout Water (coleman fuel!) to start a fire. We made sure Mr. Johnson was not looking of course (he was the ASM).

12 yr olds love anything that is flammable. :) True now, true 20 yrs ago, it will be true 20 yrs from now! :D

yep - our favorite thing was to take aerosol spray - that and a lighter, and you have a blow torch! that's the main reason we don't allow aerosol bug spray at summer camp!

Mags
02-03-2009, 17:30
yep - our favorite thing was to take aerosol spray - that and a lighter, and you have a blow torch! that's the main reason we don't allow aerosol bug spray at summer camp!

OH YES! A classic. God knows I did that...and probably 12 yr old STILL do that. They banned aerosol at Camp Yawgoo (http://www.yawgoog.com/)g in RI for similar reasons, I'm sure. :)

kytrailman
02-03-2009, 17:41
Feather Fire is ok at best

Hikes in Rain
02-03-2009, 20:55
OH YES! A classic. God knows I did that...and probably 12 yr old STILL do that. They banned aerosol at Camp Yawgoo (http://www.yawgoog.com/)g in RI for similar reasons, I'm sure. :)

Um, twelve year olds? Yeah, 12 year olds. :o

zelph
02-03-2009, 22:19
I'm a newbie. Have a little backpacking experience, but not in the cooking department. I plan on purchasing a Feather Fire alky stove. Seems to me that using a alky stove takes some experience, and limits your food selection. Pasta and rice dishes takes 15 min (from cold to boil to cook). Do alky stoves burn long enought to do any fancier type cooking. I have read that this feather fire burns for about 30min on 2oz (simmer mode) Dont like the idea of a canister stove until they can refill em.

I think you'll do just fine with the Featherfire stove. I purchased one just to see what it was made of and how it was built in the interest of stove science.:)

Here is what I found out about the stove and lots of upclose photos. (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1290)

SGT Rock
02-03-2009, 22:21
How easy is denatured alcohol to obtain on the trail?
Very easy

bredler
02-03-2009, 22:38

You don't need to cook "long cook time" stuff with the stove firing the whole time.

For instance with my alcohol stove (a pressurized pepsi stove) I can use 1oz of fuel for about 9-11 min of flame time. The back of a box of pasta recommends something like 20 min...but what to do :-??

You put the pasta (or rice or whatever) in the pot, heat it to boiling for as long as you can WITH THE LID ON AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE and once the stove goes out, you let it sit there for another 10 min...with the lid on. It comes out great every time. Just remember to do some stirring while the flame is still under it or it'll stick to the pot.

I had a crazy experience with mine when I was working on building them consistantly and efficiently. The stove was lit and sitting on our glass-top stove. For whatever reason (I think I was timing the burn, and I needed to use the REAL stove...) I decided that I needed to move the stove out of the way. I picked it up with some tongs (just about 2" off the stove) and was moving it very carefully when it tipped over...:eek:.

The liquid alcohol in the stove hit the hot sides of the can where there wasn't any contact with alcohol. It all vaporized REAL fast and shot 3' long flames out of the jets and a 5' flame out of the filling port. I didn't have arm hair for a while :rolleyes:. Also part of my eyebrow was gone. Scared the chit out of me too.

SUMMARY:
Yes, it's for beginners! Intrepid beginners! I have not used anything but an alcohol stove to date. Just make sure you know how to use it well and you're golden.

Jayboflavin04
02-03-2009, 23:06
My son is a cub scout right now (he loves it)! Using liquid fuel to start a fire defeats the purpose, Its not the fact they are making fire, but the act of becoming self reliant and LEARNING!!! I have let my son use matches at the age of 6. You know why!!!!! Because I was standing right beside him(teaching him). He did pretty good(only took him bout 57matches :) !!!) But he did it. Parents need to get involved with thier scouts more! Scout masters have to make rules like not using liquid fuel because they cannot keep their eye on everyones kids. My hat goes off to all the VOLUNTEERS in scouts (I volunteer time)!

Personally I am going to let my son(he is 8 now) use our alky stove when we go backpacking this summer. Not a throw away canister stove!!!!!!

ozarkman
02-04-2009, 01:13
I personally do not like the alky stoves due to lack of heat. I use two type of stoves, on a short trip I like the pocket rocket and I deal with the canisters. But for longer trips I like the wisper lite, but I have been wanting to experiment with the Vargo stove found at the link below...it is simple and looks to operate like an old German military kit that I have. The Vargo looks lite and simple...that is what you want on a trail...you can check it out at this site: http://jbhgear.com/category/16575501761/1/Camping-Stoves.htm

Jayboflavin04
02-04-2009, 08:31
It is an expensive version of the pop can stove. I think I want one with more fuel compacity. OH, by the way, I read they have doone tests with the pack a feather with esbit tabs. The web site "reads" That there is little performance issues with esbit tabs.

nero
02-04-2009, 09:42
Very easy

Me thinks, with all this talk about alcohol stoves, I'm gonna dump my white gas stove, and make a cat stove.

russb
02-04-2009, 09:48
Me thinks, with all this talk about alcohol stoves, I'm gonna dump my white gas stove, and make a cat stove.

Th cat stove was the first one I made. Easy to make and use. I never understood the popularity of the pressurized "pepsi can stoves". My go to stove is now the Starlyte... so easy to use, so efficient, and works great in the ultra cold temps.

mister krabs
02-04-2009, 12:14
Th cat stove was the first one I made. Easy to make and use. I never understood the popularity of the pressurized "pepsi can stoves". My go to stove is now the Starlyte... so easy to use, so efficient, and works great in the ultra cold temps.

Ditto on the starlyte, I think the thing with the pressurized stove is that jets just look cool when they're going. It's pretty amazing to see that you've made something with a couple cans and a pocketknife that looks and performs similar to the burners on your stove at home.

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2009, 12:19
Regardless of what type stove you get, you're a "beginner". Just practice with it before you depart.

SGT Rock
02-04-2009, 20:07
Cat was my first too. It is a good "transition" stove. But my guess is after a while you will end up going a little simpler.

Jayboflavin04
02-06-2009, 10:49
Soaking the pasta or what not while I set up camp. How long do you soak for 5-10 min before firing up the stove and heating? I will be making pot a pot cozy also!

charlie2008
02-08-2009, 19:42
Regardless of what type stove you get, you're a "beginner". Just practice with it before you depart.

Yep, You got that right. The stove I was setting everything on fire with was a Minibull NION #2, but I still love this stove. It simmers for 20 min on a ounce of heet, or boils in 4 or 5 depending on how you adjust it. Just don't overfill it like Tinny says. I think he sells a newer version now.
-
Nothing easier than a tealight stove and a 1/2 ounce of heet. All you are carrying is your fuel, a pot stand & windscreen. The stove weighs nothing. Sometimes you don't get a full boil on a 1/2 ounce of fuel but if your just rehydrating MH or making coffee or tea it usually isn't a problem.
-
Never thought about presoaking pasta / rice, have to give it a try.

TrailH4x
02-14-2009, 11:30
As a scout leader I can tell you the sentiment is correct but the new scouting regs prohibit liquid fuels on BSA outings...It's a shame too because the alky stove is a lesson in so many things: recycling, thermodynamics...etc....the list goes on. Its remarkable for such a simple device to be so educational. Rules are rules though. Is the ban on liquid fuels a local council initiative? Not to make light of their being "prohibited," but in my local experience the belief that chemical fuels (even liquid fuels) cannot be used for scouting is most often based on the ignorance of some "senior" members of camping committees. Our troop held similar beliefs. With a little research and a few joint contacts armed with the below references, lightweight chemical stoves have re-joined our camping method tool book. A structured training program with strict expectations for their being brought into the camping program are a must.

Refer to the current Guide to Safe Scouting, VII Fules and Fire Prevention: (http://www.scouting.org/healthandsafety/gss/gss07.aspx#a)

Guidelines for Safely Using Chemical Stoves and Lanterns

Use compressed- or liquid-gas stoves or lanterns only with knowledgeable adult supervision and in Scout facilities only where and when permitted.
http://www.scouting.org/healthandsafety/gss/~/media/Images/pubs/gss/a/lanterns.jpg.ashx

Tipi Walter
02-14-2009, 11:49

The old and still-for-sale Svea 123 is not a perfect stove by any means. Here's some of the negatives:
**The dang key gets hung up in the brass housing for storage when trying to remove.
**The little 3 stove support prongs fall out into the dirt or lost, meaning you'll have to make your own with bent nails. These fall out and are impossible to find in the dirt.
**The brass top sleeve gets bent and deformed, making it hard to put on or remove.
**Priming this stove results in lost gas unless you use an eyedropper.
**The tank is small and invariably you will run out of fuel in the middle of cooking, necessitating refilling a hot stove--not much fun and watch out for the flare up when relighting.
**The tiny refill hole often results in lost fuel.

I personally do not like the alky stoves due to lack of heat. I use two type of stoves, on a short trip I like the pocket rocket and I deal with the canisters. But for longer trips I like the wisper lite, but I have been wanting to experiment with the Vargo stove found at the link below...it is simple and looks to operate like an old German military kit that I have. The Vargo looks lite and simple...that is what you want on a trail...you can check it out at this site: http://jbhgear.com/category/16575501761/1/Camping-Stoves.htm

I agree with this as I've seen several winter backpackers trying to cook on alcohol stoves and the wind always seems to blow them out and of course they do not burn as hot as white gas stoves. One guy used one w/o a lid and when he was done cooking he had an extra amount of unneeded alcohol to get rid of. I asked him why he didn't just pour it back into the alky container and he said it wouldn't be a good idea. ??

Dancer
02-16-2009, 14:08
I use the below mini trangia 28-T. It was $35 dollars. I am not good at making my own gear and I love the pot. It boils 2 cups of water in about 12 minutes and in 8 minutes with a homemade foil windscreen.

Beware that the windscreen causes the flames to 'lick up the sides of the pot' somewhat higher and the screen should not fit too closely.

Filled it will burn for about 45 minutes from my experience, boiling water for dinner, hot chocolate for dinner, hot chocolate for breakfast and my breakfast. It also has a simmer ring and a screw on lid so that you don't have to pour the fuel back out. Just screw on the lid. Oh! and the pot grabber is nice. It offers good control when pouring. And it all packs into the pot and is very light.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii228/julie28333/stove.jpg

hopefulhiker
02-16-2009, 19:15
One little tip for beginning alcohol users.. get a shampoo bottle with a flip top, like Anti gravity gear sells.. I minimizes spills. I saw a couple of accidents due to spilt fuel bottles...

Tinker
02-16-2009, 21:20
I use the below mini trangia 28-T. It was $35 dollars. I am not good at making my own gear and I love the pot. It boils 2 cups of water in about 12 minutes and in 8 minutes with a homemade foil windscreen.

Beware that the windscreen causes the flames to 'lick up the sides of the pot' somewhat higher and the screen should not fit too closely.

Filled it will burn for about 45 minutes from my experience, boiling water for dinner, hot chocolate for dinner, hot chocolate for breakfast and my breakfast. It also has a simmer ring and a screw on lid so that you don't have to pour the fuel back out. Just screw on the lid. Oh! and the pot grabber is nice. It offers good control when pouring. And it all packs into the pot and is very light.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii228/julie28333/stove.jpg

Don't screw the top back on while the stove is still hot. You'll melt the o-ring and it will leak. If you put only as much alcohol in the stove as you'll need for each use, the stove will boil water more quickly (the alcohol has to heat up before it burns efficiently - less alcohol, quicker heating).

Dancer
02-17-2009, 19:49
Don't screw the top back on while the stove is still hot. You'll melt the o-ring and it will leak. If you put only as much alcohol in the stove as you'll need for each use, the stove will boil water more quickly (the alcohol has to heat up before it burns efficiently - less alcohol, quicker heating).

cool! Thanks for the fuel level tip...

JaxHiker
02-18-2009, 22:48
That's a great tip about the fuel level. Thx!

hootyhoo
02-20-2009, 16:56
AP reports: After three years of investigation and 3.7 million dollars spent The American Council for Outdoor Cooking reports to Congress--Lack of warning labels and misuse of fuel line antifreeze has lead to slow cooking times, running out of fuel to soon, stoves being stepped on and undercooked meals. New regulations and state licensing requirements are soon to be legislated to stop this senseless use of pop cans for cooking.

charlie2008
02-20-2009, 20:54
AP reports: After three years of investigation and 3.7 million dollars spent The American Council for Outdoor Cooking reports to Congress--Lack of warning labels and misuse of fuel line antifreeze has lead to slow cooking times, running out of fuel to soon, stoves being stepped on and undercooked meals. New regulations and state licensing requirements are soon to be legislated to stop this senseless use of pop cans for cooking.
-
:datz:datz:datz:datz:datz

Skidsteer
02-20-2009, 21:06

They can have my stove when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Marta
02-20-2009, 22:59
Note to stovies: My son, Benedict, has been playing with Sterno. He says he's got a Sterno stove that boils water like nobody's business. I've asked him to make a YouTube video of it in action. Hopefully he'll have it up by early next week...although with Mardi Gras parades and parties going full blast, maybe it'll be a few days later than that.

Marta
02-20-2009, 23:00
PS--He's awfully young (26) to be a stovie, but I think the disease has settled in to stay.

Skidsteer
02-20-2009, 23:09
PS--He's awfully young (26) to be a stovie, but I think the disease has settled in to stay.

You seem terribly flippant about it for a Mother.

Oh wait. I forgot who I was talking to. :D

Tinker
02-20-2009, 23:19
Soaking the pasta or what not while I set up camp. How long do you soak for 5-10 min before firing up the stove and heating? I will be making pot a pot cozy also!

I tried presoaking pasta and wound up with a soggy mass of starch. Presoaking might work if you soaked the pasta, then removed it, brought the water to a boil and dumped it back in. I'll have to try that some day.

Marta
02-20-2009, 23:20
You seem terribly flippant about it for a Mother.

Oh wait. I forgot who I was talking to. :D

What are you trying to say? I am not a stovie. I just have...a few stoves. I need them.

I rarely, rarely make my own stoves.

Tinker
02-20-2009, 23:21
cool! Thanks for the fuel level tip...

You're welcome. I read a lot, try stuff out, and find out what's fact and what's opinion. I like to pass good info. on (and sometimes state my dubious opinions :rolleyes:).
I forgot to add to the orig. post about fuel level:
If you fill your stove (or use more fuel than you need for the immediate task), the hot unused alcohol vaporizes extremely fast, wasting valuable fuel.
More: The pot lifter works with my Evernew 1.3L pot but weighs as much as my cut down, drilled out aluminum one, and doesn't have the strength to lift anything bigger than the pot it comes with.
The fry pan is fantastic. I often pack it inside my ti cookpot (fits in depression for lid). Like all Teflon or similar pans, it can scratch easily, so do yourself a favor and make a small cutting board the size of the inside of the pan out of a Miracle Whip container or similar.
Surprisingly, the boil times with the Trangia Mini in the cold sometimes beat my Supercat (but the Trangia weighs more....). What to bring???

Skidsteer
02-20-2009, 23:23
What are you trying to say? I am not a stovie. I just have...a few stoves. I need them.

I rarely, rarely make my own stoves.

I bet he'll make you one more if you ask him. ;)

Grinder
02-21-2009, 09:46
I have been following this thread for a while now.
In my opinion, the original question is misstated and should read

"Is trail cooking for beginners?"

The stove is the least of your problems.

If a person were to resign themselves to paying the price and buying freeze dried meals for their first hike, any stove would be good to go.

Lots of people here seem to want to nail down all the details of a through hike before ever stepping on the trail.

SGT Rock
02-21-2009, 09:48
Sterno stoves are basically alcohol stoves. Look up the formula for sterno.

Grinder
02-21-2009, 09:56
True that sarge!!
The formula to DIY sterno is simple and available through Google.

Tinker
02-21-2009, 10:06
Sterno doesn't burn as hot as denatured alcohol. It was never intended for cooking, just heating. It will boil water (if you have enough time), though. I spent hours and used several cans of gelled alcohol (can't remember whether it was actually Sterno though), and never got the results I did with any of my alcohol stoves. Apparantly there are chemicals added to gel the alcohol, and, though combustible, they don't burn as hot as the alcohol itself, resulting in lower btu's and more weight per btu. For summer only it might be useful, but I'd just as soon carry Esbit tabs in warm weather.

theinfamousj
02-21-2009, 12:38

Hey now, I'm 26 and have been a closet stovie for about two years now. Mostly modding other stoves rather than making my own from scratch. But I built my first stove at 23. It had perlite and was made from two soda cans.

Ekul
02-26-2009, 13:00
low pressure and high pressure stoves i can do with my knife and have 5 each. used to take me a hour or so and now i have them down to 20mins or less.

Now, the penny stoves still give me trouble. All i get is a poof every 30secs. Cant seem to get it to pressurize correctly. Any Ideas? I googles penny stoves and tried the Hein version and also just reg soda can version. I must not have the right number of holes or right size of holes.

Megabite
02-28-2009, 18:30
Old school trangia - not light, but the simmer works perfectly, you can put it out and save fuel with the screw cap. Of course, if you're out for 1-2 nights, just fill it with fuel, seal it up, and no extra fuel bottle!

booney_1
03-03-2009, 20:08
After working with scouts for many years, even if it is allowed, I don't think flammable liquid is a good idea. (even bug spray is dangerous!). I personally love the alcohol stoves, but when we've taken scouts on long backpacking trips we have them make home made esbit stoves. At 50 cents a tablet, they are more expensive than cooking with denatured alcohol, but the kids can get the experience of building and using a simple stove.

I also worry about kids not understanding that denatured means POISON has been put in.

The attraction of young boys to fire is very strong!!!