PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bags with a "wider" cut

hawkeye
02-01-2009, 18:19
HI, Well I'm starting to hike again and found that my NF Cats Meow is a little "tight" on me. Until I loose some weight does anyone know of a fairly lightweight bag 20-32 degrees range bag size long? Thanks,
Greg

hopefulhiker
02-01-2009, 18:24
Montbell has the stretch bags... Also you might even look at quilts or blankets instead of a bag..

Ramble~On
02-01-2009, 18:28
Big Agnes "Lost Ranger". Wide, light, inexpensive in the world of down bags, 650 fill. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the Mont-Bell SS bags though. Lost Ranger is rated as a 15* bag but from what I've read and heard that's not the case, more like a 20-25*.

mudhead
02-01-2009, 18:28
Marmot trestles line has some hefty bags. Affordable, but not ultra light.

Campmor. Climb in some and PM me or post up what you find. I need more elbow room than a cat's meow, too.

randyg45
02-01-2009, 18:30
Big Agnes Park series; Feathered Friends wide series; Campmore rectangular down bags. Been there, doin that ;>))

Jim Adams
02-01-2009, 18:34
EMS also makes a wide bag in several temp ratings.

geek

lbbrown
02-01-2009, 18:57
Mountain Hardware makes a sleeping bag extender-adds approx. 8 inches to girth. Don't know if it fits other bags. Check it out.

Seeker
02-01-2009, 18:59
WM Alpinlite long.

Jim Adams
02-01-2009, 19:44
Mountain Hardware makes a sleeping bag extender-adds approx. 8 inches to girth. Don't know if it fits other bags. Check it out.
so does TNF.

geek

The Will
02-01-2009, 21:04
Feathered Friends, in addition to rectangular and semi-rectangular bags also makes it each bag model/temp rating in at least two different girths and three different lengths.

geeselight
02-02-2009, 00:46
sierra designs has the same flex technology as the montbell. A lot cheaper.

rpenczek
02-02-2009, 13:43
The Trestles Xwide 15 degree synthetic. It weighs 3+ lbs and I am very comfortable down to about 0 degrees. Campmor for about $90

I also own a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 degree down. Of course with BA you need a pad for the bottom insulation. I am comforatable in this bag to 15 degrees. I got mine at REI for $130 (it was on sale).

I really like both bags, but the BA is lighter and more compressable. Also, I like my BA aircore pad better than the Prolite I used with the Marmot.

In the end I am not unhappy with either purchase.

ianjoe59
02-02-2009, 20:22
Had a Big Agnes bag. Nice fit but i did not like the sleeping pad system cause im a side sleeper. BA bags dont have insulation on the bottom.
Have a Western Mountaineering Alpinelite Long now, and it is awesome. Not quite as wide as the BA but still comfy. Only bags I would consider for a wider bag now are:
WM Alpinelite
WM Megalite
WM Badger
or Montbells strechy ones.
(I gave up on Synthetic bags awhile ago.)

Tinker
02-02-2009, 20:34
HI, Well I'm starting to hike again and found that my NF Cats Meow is a little "tight" on me. Until I loose some weight does anyone know of a fairly lightweight bag 20-32 degrees range bag size long? Thanks,
Greg

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?allWords=sleeping%20bag
Good products at a good price.

Long sleeping bags usually have a wider girth. It may be that a long Cat's Meow will fit you better if the one you're now using is a regular. A down bag will withstand far more compression cycles before it loses loft and fails to keep you warm, so it's usually a better buy in the long run, even if it costs more initially.
Consider a semi-rectangular bag also. Have someone measure around your chest and your arms with your hands crossed over your sternum. That will be the absolute minimum girth you can use. Add 10 inches for tossing and turning and a light layer of clothing. Then go shopping.