PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rogers Area Hike

Groucho
05-02-2004, 23:08
Planning a trip to Mt. Rogers area if I can drag this overweight body out of a winter's inertia. I have a few questions I hope a Blazer might answer:

How far has spring crept up the mountains in that area?

When do Trail Daze festivities begin; I want to avoid crowds as much as possible.

What is a good place to stay in Damascus? Phone number if you have it.

Is the Iron Mt. Trail S of Damascus still open and maintained? Lone Wolf, especially, may be able to answer this one.

Thanks,

Groucho

Lone Wolf
05-03-2004, 01:46
Trail Days is May 12-16. The Lazy Fox B&B is a good place to stay. The Iron Mtn. Trail is open and maintained.

loonyhiker
05-03-2004, 06:26
I'm staying at the Maples B&B for trail days. We stayed there last year and the breakfast was out of this world!

Brushy Sage
05-03-2004, 10:34
Trail Days is May 12-16. The Lazy Fox B&B is a good place to stay. The Iron Mtn. Trail is open and maintained.

Ginnie told us that one of the equipment manufacturers reserves her entire place for Trail Days, so that option might not be open for others. How is she doing, now that she is running the shop without Ben?

Lone Wolf
05-03-2004, 10:36
She's getting along just fine.

Brushy Sage
05-03-2004, 10:37
Ginnie told us that one of the equipment manufacturers reserves her entire place for Trail Days, so that option might not be open for others. How is she doing, now that she is running the shop without Ben?

Oh, upon re-reading, I see they are wanting to avoid Trail Days, and with good reason. Still, how is Ginnie doing?

Peep
05-03-2004, 12:24
I'm hiking into Trail Days from the Mt. Rogers area also. In Damascus I'll be staying at Maples - made my reservation 2 weeks ago and they were full but because they had a cancellation I got in. I was told the lodging fills up pretty fast so I was lucky. So if you're not going to tent at Trail Days - you need to call the lodging places ASAP. (The tenting areas fill up fast also) Peep

Groucho
05-03-2004, 22:03
Wolf,

Do you know where the Southern part of the Iron Mt. Trail begins in Damascus? From the topo I have it looks like it begins on state road 1212 (a continuation of Mountain City Road probably) which is a right turn off of 91, just after 91 crosses the creek. 91 leaves 58 via a right turn (coming from Damascus). It has been a long time since I was on the southern IMT.

Lone Wolf
05-03-2004, 22:07
Yes it's where you describe it. There's a gate and forest service sign there.