PDA

View Full Version : Clothing/lady business questions..(long and possibly gross)

mindi
02-02-2009, 10:58
I got a nice wicking T-shirt and an Avid rain jacket on sale and here's my problem. The T-shirt is a little bit more see-through than I'd like.

I don't normally wear a bra ( I don't have much to hold up) but I'm thinking I might need to take one. Any suggestions? I'm debating whether I'll just wear it in town or if I should be more modest than usual and actually wear one on the trail too. They just make me sooo uncomfortable and the addition of sweat can't be good.

The rainjacket..well, I ordered a medium, but it seems pretty small. It fits okay over a tee but if I have layers on I am going to look like a sausage. It was on clearance so I can't return it for a larger size. Anyone have one they might want to trade or something?

I've decided on a skirt but I need to figure out what to wear under it when it's colder (I'm going SOBO and I'm slow so I may be doing some wintry hiking). I'll probably get a down jacket for when it's cold, and I thought about getting some exped. weight tights that I can cover with rainpants for my legs. But I'm worried about getting uh..gross in the lady parts wearing tights all day.

Is this enough layers for when it's really cold? Tights+rainpants, tee+thermal+rainjacket, and down jacket for camp? What about silkweight longjohns for sleeping? Or is this just too much weight all together?

My other concern is about underwear. I took some really lightweight ones last time that were some kind of stretchy material, and they got positively disgusting after a couple of days. I'm kind of prone to infections when I get really sweaty and walking around in moist undies all day. What kinds have you used that keep you dry? Are there any kinds of supplements or anything that someone has experience taking that kept things 'in balance' on the trail?

I don't know why I'm stressing so much, it's not like I haven't hiked hundreds of miles before, but I feel like I'm starting all over again.

Thanks for any help!

Smile
02-02-2009, 11:13
Underwear: Exofficio
Long Underwear: a must in cold weather under your hiking skirt. Patagonia makes a heavyweight fleece/waterproof-ish pair that is great for super cold hiking.

Wash, and you'll stay clean, take some babywipes. If you look around the ladies forum these topics have been covered very well, I'd start there and read those posts.

An aside... mention the word "gross" in a topic heading, and most every one will read it :)

Hope your hike is awesome!

Blissful
02-02-2009, 11:16
I don't have much either on top but I always wear a sport bra anyway hiking. That's just me as I can't stand the jiggling feeling, whatever when I hike. I take it off when I get to camp.

If you tend to have moisture control problems (I do too),I would not wear tights to hike in as they are close fitting and don't allow air to circulate. I love convertible pants and my ex officio underwear (I wore a pair of cotton ones in my bag at night). Held up my entire hike. I also wore panty liners too. If you tend to get irritated down below, might ask for geers goo from your Dr and take a film canister of it to apply if you need it. It helped me.
Also, if you are going SOBO (unless you are leaving after black fly season), you have insects to think about in New England and a skirt may not be a good idea until you get out of that section, IMO.

Clothes for the colder months look ok to me. Again, it depends on what you plan to hike in. I'd also have a merino wool long sleeve shirt to hike in cold.

Tilly
02-02-2009, 11:24
I think Patagonia makes the best underwear in the universe. One of those things where you get what you pay for, although sometimes you can find it on sale.

I really like under armour frosty tights to hike in, they dry in a flash and are very stretchy, but they are NOT very "rugged."

As far as the T shirt thing goes, I personally would not be comfortable hiking in something like that. Wicking Tshirts aren't that expensive...

Also consider taking a yogurt/probiotic supplement to help keep everything in check. I sometimes have problems like that and that helps a ton, especially since you obviously can't pack out yogurt on the trail.

An aside, I am pretty cold in general, and hiking in the Smokies in 06 I had tights, base layer, insulating layer, hat & gloves, and full raingear over that. It was around 20 degrees and windy and I think I almost got hypothermic, I was really tired and not thinking straight...I remember thinking, oh I just want to lay down on the trail and go to sleep it won't be so bad...def. not rational. My hands and feet were so cold that they were flashing with pain, and this was hiking uphill with a full pack. So unless you easily overheat, you may need another layer in the winter. Me, personally, I can hike with full raingear and be comfortable up to about 55 degrees.

Tilly
02-02-2009, 11:26
Oh, and I see you are SOBO. I hiked the OHMW in June, and the bugs were pretty bad...but I carried long hiking pants, a 3 ounce shell, and a mosquitoe net along with DEET. I was prepared for the bugs so they didn't bother me so much. I was so glad I had the pants because I would be SWARMED at times with the bugs, even when trying to move fast...or when filtering water, putting up the tent, etc. Keeps you sane.

Mercy
02-02-2009, 14:02
Since you said you normally don't wear a bra, I wouldn't recomend you count on wearing one on the trail... If its not comfortable at home, it won't be on the trail either.

Before I invested in a bra (that I probably wouldn't wear) I would get a different wicking T'shirt. (I like my icebreaker short sleeve merino wool.. even when its hot.. helps keep the smell down, too.)

I'd also want my rain jacket big enough to wear over my down jacket.

Don't you hate those sales that are too good to pass up?!

mindi
02-02-2009, 14:15
No kidding! And the thing is, I REALLY like the jacket.

Thinking about the bugs, maybe I'll go with some convertible pants after all. I was just so excited about a skirt or kilt. Plus I'm really short and it's hard for me to find pants that aren't dragging under my heels.

Thanks for all the tips, ladies. I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

What brand of probiotics do you suggest? I know some of them need to be refrigerated or lose their effectiveness after a while, or don't have many live cultures to begin with.

Tilly
02-02-2009, 19:02
You know I've just picked up a regular bottle of probiotics at the grocery store. They are near the vitamins. The bottle says "Guaranteed a Gazillion Live Cultures" or some such. I've never needed to refrigerate.

Tilly
02-02-2009, 19:02
Just watch the expiration dates. Those supplements expire much faster than your traditional vitamin.

Blissful
02-02-2009, 20:33
No kidding! And the thing is, I REALLY like the jacket.

Thinking about the bugs, maybe I'll go with some convertible pants after all. I was just so excited about a skirt or kilt. Plus I'm really short and it's hard for me to find pants that aren't dragging under my heels.

Might try capris then.

River Runner
02-03-2009, 02:41
Ex-officio undies are my favorites.

I've often hiked in tights in moderate to cold weather and not had a problem, but I'm not prone to infections, so I can't really advise you there. I do prefer convertible nylon pants for backpacking though because the pockets are just so handy, and they don't snag on brush or briers.

I find a tight rain jacket miserable. You might consider trying to sell the one you have either on this forum or one of the other backpacking sites and purchasing a looser one. It will also be cooler than a tight fitting one, which is a good thing when hiking up hills/mountains.

As far as the shirt/bra issue, I think that's a matter of what you are comfortable with. A less see through shirt might put you more at ease while still allowing you to go braless, which you seem comfortable with. One thing to remember is that your shirt will often be sweat-soaked and wet.

Mercy
02-03-2009, 11:27
REI makes Sahara convertible pants in short sizes... and they have a velcro strap on the cuff that you could tighten to keep from sliding down over your shoe.

TunnelvisionGAME09
02-03-2009, 13:26
I love my Ibex undies. I have loads o Patagonia ones too, but they start to smell after a couple of days of hard work.

I'll second Mercy's love of the Icebreakers T. They are so comfy, and wool in general helps with the smell issue.

Mrs Baggins
02-03-2009, 16:51
Since you said you normally don't wear a bra, I wouldn't recomend you count on wearing one on the trail... If its not comfortable at home, it won't be on the trail either.

Before I invested in a bra (that I probably wouldn't wear) I would get a different wicking T'shirt. (I like my icebreaker short sleeve merino wool.. even when its hot.. helps keep the smell down, too.)

I'd also want my rain jacket big enough to wear over my down jacket.

Don't you hate those sales that are too good to pass up?!

About the Ice Breaker T - - is it loose fitting or form fitting? I really don't like form fitted t's and it's getting very hard to find loose fitting ones since REI stopped making their womens Tech T. I did find a man's small North Face T on clearance at REI last year and apparently it was the last surviving one like it on earth because I can't find any more like it. Most mens small t's are too big for me but the North Face fit just right and is nice and loose without being baggy saggy.

jamarshall
02-03-2009, 20:13
I hate bras and wear a black Hanes Her Way nylon tank top under my t-shirt. I don't think they make the ones I like anymore. I bought a bunch when they were on clearance :)

Mercy
02-03-2009, 21:17
About the Ice Breaker T - - is it loose fitting or form fitting? I really don't like form fitted t's and it's getting very hard to find loose fitting ones since REI stopped making their womens Tech T. I did find a man's small North Face T on clearance at REI last year and apparently it was the last surviving one like it on earth because I can't find any more like it. Most mens small t's are too big for me but the North Face fit just right and is nice and loose without being baggy saggy.

On me, the medium Icebreaker isn't as form fitting as the medium Smartwool... but it isn't loose either. I'd like them a little looser, too. But, I don't care for the synthetics (smell) and haven't found a looser fitting wool.

mindi
02-04-2009, 10:44
I'm back..here's what I've figured out so far.

I noticed that they make capris in the Buzz-Off brand, so I *may* splurge on those since I've been told that the bugs could be a pain in the arse going SOBO. Capris tend to look like highwater pants on me if they run long, though ;).
Either those or the convertible pants. (They make the Buzz-Off convertible pants in short, but they are out of them everywhere)! I've kind of given up on the idea of a skirt simply because of the bug issue and not wanting to wear tights. I'm just wondering if I'll need to take thermals too for the cold. Maybe just lightweight silky thermals that could double as sleepwear? The pants just all seem so freaking expensive and I am loath to spend money...

I think I might go for a wool type tee because of the odor issue. Thinking back, I remember finding a really nice, expensive synthetic shirt in a hostel and washing it and it still smelled so awful that I couldn't bear to wear it and I knew why someone abandoned it! The issue there again of course is price. The tee I had last time I got on closeout for around $10, but I can't remember the brand and I doubt they even make it anymore..

I think I'm going to try to sell the rainjacket and get a larger one, and hopefully I can find some cheap rainpants.

Underwear I'm still debating. I was thinking of going with the Exofficio or Patagonias but then I read on some other threads that they get stinky. Thoughts?

So here's what I have so far for the coldest weather (obviously will remove most of these layers when it's not cold)..
-Undies+silkweight thermals+convertible pants or capris+rainpants (warm enough?)
-Tee+medium wt. thermal+down jacket/vest+rainjacket (think I could get away with just the vest?)

And of course socks. Think I'll be warm enough with all this? I'm not really worried about when I'm hiking. I get damn hot and I can generally hike in shorts and a tee down to 40 degrees or so and maybe throw on a rainjacket when it's windy. I'm mostly just worried about when I'm sitting still in camp or sleeping.

Thanks again for your help, ladies :D.

Blissful
02-04-2009, 14:22
If you have convertibles you like, you can save $$ by soaking them in permethrin solution yourself instead of getting buzz off - look up threads for those who have done it succesfully. I plan to do this myself (haven't yet).

Since I brought three pairs of exoff underwear and a pair of cotton for at night, and used panty liners, odor was not a real issue for me. I mean, on the trail things stink anyway. I didn't let it bother me, but I did change before towns as that did bother me!

Yep get a merino wool shirt - they are great. (loved my long sleeve one)
Yeah my t-shirt stunk all the time. But I sure loved hiking in it. I don't think I can take wool in hot / humid weather.

You will need a down jacket by the end of your hiike, I'm sure. And at least some kind of outer jacket and fleece for the Whites. Some do fine wth vests. For me, no way. :)

Tanya
02-04-2009, 17:19
Underwear I'm still debating. I was thinking of going with the Exofficio or Patagonias but then I read on some other threads that they get stinky. Thoughts?

I got Icebreaker undies a couple of months ago and have cross-country skied and run in them pretty much every day since. Love them! No itch; no chafing; no nasty smell. Light-weight and fast drying. Would be my choice for a thru.

happy trails,
t.

HappyCamper852
03-30-2009, 08:15
I don't have much either on top but I always wear a sport bra anyway hiking. That's just me as I can't stand the jiggling feeling, whatever when I hike. I take it off when I get to camp.

If you tend to have moisture control problems (I do too),I would not wear tights to hike in as they are close fitting and don't allow air to circulate. I love convertible pants and my ex officio underwear (I wore a pair of cotton ones in my bag at night). Held up my entire hike. I also wore panty liners too. If you tend to get irritated down below, might ask for geers goo from your Dr and take a film canister of it to apply if you need it. It helped me.
Also, if you are going SOBO (unless you are leaving after black fly season), you have insects to think about in New England and a skirt may not be a good idea until you get out of that section, IMO.

Clothes for the colder months look ok to me. Again, it depends on what you plan to hike in. I'd also have a merino wool long sleeve shirt to hike in cold.

What exactly is "Geers Goo"? Thanks!

jlb2012
03-30-2009, 09:28
Greer's goo
Pediatrics: A topical formulation of hydrocortisone, nystatin, and zinc oxide, used for diaper rash

kettish
04-03-2009, 15:33
One side note, I don't think anyone else mentioned cranberry! Either get some dried cranberries or get the cranberry pills, those help ward of UTIs at least. Dunno if you're looking to keep down other stuff...probiotics as mentioned will help in other arenas!

While in town just toss a jacket on and you should be fine as far as modesty goes. I plan on probably wearing just pants and a sports bra since I'll be going NOBO and will probably get a slightly late start. Bad for me, since I'll have to wear sunscreen the entire time but oh well!

You're lucky you can go without bras...the straps rub me pretty good because of my pack. It's taken time and a better pack to work around that and it still isn't foolproof!