PDA

View Full Version : anyone know where 19e is from carvers gap tn

showcase
02-02-2009, 14:09
I was hiking this weekend on roan mountain and saw a trail sign that stated that 19e was 13.3 miles from carvers gap. Is it a tough hike and where on 19e does it come out?? thanks for the help!
:-?

Gray Blazer
02-02-2009, 14:26
All downhill after Big Hump. A few ups and downs. Very nice section. Comes out near the stateline a few miles south of the town of Roan Mountain.

Jim Adams
02-02-2009, 14:29
I was hiking this weekend on roan mountain and saw a trail sign that stated that 19e was 13.3 miles from carvers gap. Is it a tough hike and where on 19e does it come out?? thanks for the help!
:-?
One of the prettiest sections south of the Mason-Dixon Line...my favorite. Very nice moderate hike.:cool:

geek

Tennessee Viking
02-02-2009, 15:22
:-?The 19E crossing is a mile down the road from the TN/NC state line at the intersecion of Bear Branch Road & 19E. But don't park here. Hooligans love to vandalize cars park here. Best thing to do is to park at Mountain Harbour Inn not to far from the crossing.

But Carvers Gap is at the state line on TN 143/NC 261. From the town of Roan Mtn, you head thru the state park on TN143 and up the mountain. You can't miss the trailhead at the top.

Currently, my club is re-routing several portions of the Roan Highlands to make the grade easier and less eroded, but nothing that will need great attention.

If you are a beginning hiker, its best to head north from Carvers. The Balds are easy. After the balds, it turns onto hillside on Grassy Ridge for about a half mile. Then you will come to an old wood road. This section is a bit tough. Its very eroded. For about a mile, you will be stepping knee high down in some places down on rocks and roots to Stan Murray Shelter. After that its a fast drop to Yellow Mtn Gap & The Barn.

The climb out of Yellow Mtn Gap is a little steep but manageable. Its a long rideline walk to Little Hump on an old road. Keep an eye out for the blazes at the Little Hump turn, or you will end up in the pasture going towards Yellow Mountain instead.

The new Bradley Gap approach should be open by now. The old one used to make a steep drop on eroded trail. The new one will turn back and switchback on the NC side going into Bradley Gap.

The climb up Hump is not difficult unless the sun is pounding or if its fogged in. At the top, you will have cross a bar door stile onto Houston Ridge. The USFS allows longhorn cattle grazing on the ridgeline. If they are present, just walk through them slowly. You will come to Houston Flat on the NC side of Hump. From here to Doll Flats, its rock laid trail. It can be tricky to new hikers. Just take it slowly, especially if its wet or icy.

From Doll Flats down to 19E is easy. Just a couple tight squeezes through rock until the old quarry mine. The only note at Doll Flats is to check for the blazes when you turn at the campsite. The old forest road comes right to the campsite and looks like trail. The road is considered an alternate route to Elk Park NC.

But overall its a good starting trail, if you like hiking it, you will like most of the AT.