PDA

View Full Version : Husky vs Trash Compactor Bags

joshua5878
02-02-2009, 20:35
Every post I have read recommends lining your pack with Trash Compactor Bags. Hefty makes one that is an 18 gallon size.

Then I also found HUSKY Contractor Clean Up Bags. 45 Gallon and seem a little "thicker" than the Hefty Trash Compactor Bag.

Is there a reason that the "HUSKY's" aren't recommended?? They seem to be easier to close than the 18 gallon trash compactor bag?

Thanks!

Tinker
02-02-2009, 20:49
I recommend using contractor trash bags. I don't know whether trash compactor bags are stronger, heavier, whatever. I also use lawn refuse bags. They are plenty strong enough to last at least a couple of weeks. The contractor bags (I've gotten them from The Home Depot) probably will last the better part of a thruhike, but they're thick and relatively heavy.

garlic08
02-02-2009, 21:02
This thread talked about this subject last week:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45040&highlight=compactor+bag

joshua5878
02-02-2009, 21:08
This thread talked about this subject last week:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45040&highlight=compactor+bag

Exactly why I posted. Every one talked about "Trash Compactor Bags" 18 Gallon I was simply asking , besides the slight weight issue, why not go with a liner double the size and more durable??? My first thru hike man, sorry...

dloome
02-02-2009, 22:19
I suspect WB is the only place you could find a heated discussion weighing the merits of... plastic trash bags.

I like the Contractor clean-up bags. Maybe because I got a big free roll of them a couple years ago, and it's what I have. Kinda wide, but I usually chop off a few inches at the top. They also make a nice groundsheet if you cut the bag along the sides.

A big trash bag is a big trash bag- Don't think yourself to death over this one. ;)

Lyle
02-02-2009, 22:44
I've always just used Hefty Steel Sacks or Glad Force Flex. Anything that is designed to stretch rather than puncture works fine.

sclittlefield
02-02-2009, 23:44
The only real difference in the bags not yet mentioned (though, I think mentioned elsewhere) is the color. White bag liners make things a tiny bit easier to see while rummaging around in your pack than black liners do. Beyond that, we're just talking about thicknesses and more or less weight.

Zia
02-03-2009, 01:10
i use a sea to summit 40 something L bag and love it. Durable, water proof and is the same size as the interior of my pack. i think it weighs 4oz not much more than a trash compactor bag.

Timpanogos
04-28-2011, 20:27
I had other compactor bags recommended to me but have been using Husky the last 10 years. They are extremely durable and the quality is great. I use the 18 gallon, 40 bag box.

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 11:34
I have never used a liner, nor do I see the purpose. Maybe its just me....

10-K
04-29-2011, 13:13
I like my cuben pack liner that weighs..... hardly anything. :)

Buffalo Skipper
04-29-2011, 14:01
I like my cuben pack liner that weighs..... hardly anything. :)

Cuben pack liner? Pray, tell more. :eek:

10-K
04-29-2011, 16:15
Cuben pack liner? Pray, tell more. :eek:

Sure thing!

Start here: http://zpacks.com/accessories/stuff_sacks.shtml

Email Joe and tell him exactly what you need and he'll quote you a price.

FWIW, my pack, my stuff sacks, pack liner, etc. are cuben fiber and with a regular silnylon pack cover that I used to use with my ULA Catalyst I hiked through some really hard, prolonged rains and everything inside my pack stayed bone dry.

max patch
04-29-2011, 17:33

I have never used a liner, nor do I see the purpose. Maybe its just me....

I agree.

10-K
04-29-2011, 17:49

I agree.

A year ago I would have disagreed with you on this but one thing I've learned is that everything is worthy of consideration.

I've never thought about not using some type of liner because I'm paranoid about my clothes and bag getting wet. How do you address that?

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 18:30
Well I use the packa as my cover and my jacket. SO, if its raining and I have my jacket on than my pack cover is on as well. ALSO, I have my sleeping bag in a compression sack. Its not waterproof but the chances it raining through my pack cover, through my pack, all the way down to the bottom of my bag, through my compression sack is pretty...... well.... impossible.

Chomp09
04-30-2011, 00:43
The nice thing about a liner is that you never have to worry about the weather. You pack everything up in the morning and just go. No dealing with taking the cover out, putting it over your pack everytime it looks like there's a change in the weather and hoping that it stays on straight. Also, after multiple days of heavy rain, with only a pack cover, I can say from experience that you're stuff WILL be a damp if not wet mess.

For me, the pack liner just takes the stress out of making sure that I have a dry sleeping back and layers to put on at the end of a wet day on the trail.

mstone
05-04-2011, 08:35
I'm also a fan of white liners for ease of locating items. Also, I think the size of your pack also plays a factor. Some can get away with 18, some can't.