PDA

View Full Version : HH used as a tent

GeneralLee10
02-02-2009, 20:49
I want to st my HH up as tent also I have tried it but can't seem to get it. The web HH web page shows you how and make it look easy. Has any of you done this and been successful at doing it if so can you give me some tips on how to do it. Something to do with the ridge line has way to much slack I think. Thank you

SGT Rock
02-02-2009, 20:56
Ive done it.

Step 1: stake out the sides of the tarp.

Step 2: Use a hiking pole, turn it upside down. Go a hitch with the suspension line around the tip and then make a triangle with the rope and tie the end back off at the tip again. Two stakes to the bottom corners of the triangle.

Step 3: repeat step 2 for the other end.

Step 4. Adjust the sides.

I have only used this a few times. Usually I slide in feet first like a bivy. This set up is if you need to use poles. The other way which I prefer is to use some sort of "poles" that are already in place. You simply set up the hammock so that the hammock part is on the ground instead of in the air, and the suspension line doesn't take any load at all.

Egads
02-02-2009, 21:04
Another approach is to rig the hammock as a bivy real low to the ground so you are lying on the ground. You need a pad instead of an underquilt for this setup. This actually is a good cold weather set up.

take-a-knee
02-02-2009, 21:16
The only reason to ever need to do this would be to get away from hordes of bugs, but that would certainly be reason enough.

heescha
02-18-2009, 23:47
just keep messing around with it and you will figure it out after a while...you'll find that "perfect" spot!