PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore 2009

Tennessee Viking
02-02-2009, 22:44
I know its a little bit early to talk about Trail Days and Hardcore for 2009, but the Tennessee Eastman Hiking & Canoeing Club (TEHCC) just conducted their AT committee meeting to strategize the maintenace projects for the 2009 Hardcore event. At the moment, the TEHCC is planning to conduct Hardcore on May 17-18, at the end of Damascus Trail Days.

This year's project will be:
May 17th - To head from Damascus to Wilbur Dam Road, aka Watauga Dam Road (correction noticed by Cabin Fever..lol), to relocate some of the steep & eroded trail to a better graded hillside trail and to switch back to the top of the Iron Mtn ridgeline. This is going to be the fun day since this section of trail lies inside the Big Laurel Branch Wilderness, so we will be doing all digging and cutting by hand.

May 18th - Will more than likely be relocating trail on Grassy Ridge in the Roan Highlands on sections around Stan Murray.

If you haven't heard or worked Hardcore, it is a great opportunity to give back to the trail, and give thanks to the maintainers.

As always, Hardcore sign-ups will be conducted at the ATC tent at the Damascus Town Park through out TrailDays. Lodging will be provided at Kincora Hostel and other neighboring hostels. Hikers are to bring enough food and water for breakfast and lunch. Dinner will be provided at the end of each work day. Transportation back to Damascus or other trailheads will be provided by club members, friends, and Hardcore alumni.

Just remember that space is limited, so signup early.

See you there.

Local
02-15-2009, 21:49
Thanks for this information, buliwyf. I've added it to the Trail Days website, this page:

http://www.traildays.us/hardcore.html

Please let me know if anything needs to be corrected, or more information added. I'll try to add a couple of photos from those I took of Bob and his crew a couple of years ago.

CrumbSnatcher
02-15-2009, 21:59
im starting my thruhike on may 21st. it would be easy to fly into atlanta and go,but i would love to make it to hardcore again this year! which would mean flying into tri-cities airport and afterwards hitching towards springer? i don't know about that. i've never made it to white top festival it always happens the same time as hardcore. anyone ever go to that? my friend wicked is the defending ramp eating champion!

Cabin Fever
02-15-2009, 22:26
I will be there!

Tennessee Viking
02-15-2009, 23:09
Thanks for this information, buliwyf. I've added it to the Trail Days website, this page:

http://www.traildays.us/hardcore.html

Please let me know if anything needs to be corrected, or more information added. I'll try to add a couple of photos from those I took of Bob and his crew a couple of years ago.
Now all we need is a blown up pic of a dirty Bob Peoples. lol

But really, we should make the info more official in the next couple weeks when the TEHCC has its maintenance meeting.

How much pic space will you allow to post on the page. I think Cabin Fevers famous Hardcore panorama will be great to add. Then maybe some of Mtn Squid's pics of trail work & the dinners.

Ox97GaMe
02-16-2009, 01:07
CrumbSnatcher........ Several folks from the Atlanta/N. GA area work with HardCore each year. Im sure we can get you a ride back to that general area without hitching. I think most folks usually go back by way of Ashville/Franklin/Gainesville to get back to Atlanta. Something to think about.

Local
02-16-2009, 13:50
Now all we need is a blown up pic of a dirty Bob Peoples. lol

But really, we should make the info more official in the next couple weeks when the TEHCC has its maintenance meeting.

How much pic space will you allow to post on the page. I think Cabin Fevers famous Hardcore panorama will be great to add. Then maybe some of Mtn Squid's pics of trail work & the dinners.

I've added a photo of a fairly clean Bob Peoples to http://www.traildays.us/hardcore.html. Took this a couple of years ago. Send me the panorama shot - grsmith07 @ gmail.com - (remove spaces), and I'll include it if I can make it fit. I can create a separate page for other photos.

CrumbSnatcher
02-16-2009, 19:13
CrumbSnatcher........ Several folks from the Atlanta/N. GA area work with HardCore each year. Im sure we can get you a ride back to that general area without hitching. I think most folks usually go back by way of Ashville/Franklin/Gainesville to get back to Atlanta. Something to think about.
thankyou very much, lets stay in touch! i love hardcore/bob peoples if i make it it will be my 4th time. sadly i've been away awhile again thankyou!!!:D

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2009, 12:33
Buliwyf:

Thanx for the update. Am looking forward to attending very much.

Digger'02
02-18-2009, 15:23
i'll be there as well! Booyah! And, I look at that panorama every day, its awesome!

Tennessee Viking
05-07-2009, 03:58
Just bringing the thread to the top of the board.

Again, Hardcore alumni you are welcome to return. New hikers interested in the event, you are welcome to join. You can sign up at at the ATC tent in the Damascus Park.

Transportation to the worksites will be provided. Hikers and alumni will meet at the Damascus Post Office Sunday morning. Directions will be provided to the worksites.

Projects will be mainly digging new trail with a bit of rock work & cribbing at Watauga Lake & in the Roan Highlands. Tools will be provided. Bring work gloves if you have them.

Dinner for the first night will be BBQ at Watauga Lake near the work site. The second day's dinner will be prepared by Chef Baltimore Jack & his cracker jack staff at Kincora. Just be sure to bring enough food & water for all of Sunday & Monday, then the morning of Tuesday.

Transportation back to the trail will be provided by TEHCC members & Hardcore alumni on Tuesday morning.

Oh by the way, you will get a patch & T-Shirt for your hardwork. Can you really pass that up.

Anyway, its a great social event. Just be sure to thank Bob, the Browns, TEHCC members, and other partners for their hospitality and work to prepare this event.

mweinstone
05-07-2009, 16:34
hardcore;

hard
and
really
difficult
consensual
organized
rock
exsrsizes

Chaco Taco
05-07-2009, 18:45
Hahahahahahahahahahahaaha:d:d:d

Tennessee Viking
05-07-2009, 23:27
hardcore;

hard
and
really
difficult
consensual
organized
rock
exsrsizes
I think we have a Hardcore theme for next year.

mountain squid
05-12-2009, 19:54
Hard Core '09 is almost upon us. We have been doing prep work N of Wilbur Dam Rd, TN, for the last several weeks. I've uploaded some photos (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?s=&do=member&catid=&imageuser=8692&searchid=&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&cutoffdate=-1) of what to expect. It is steep and full of rocks and guarded by a vicious ruffed grouse. In the photos, the flagline represents where the bottom edge of the trail will be.

Me and 'Kincora' will be signing hikers up on Fri/Sat of Trail Days. It should be a fun time. Hope to see you out there.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Cabin Fever
05-17-2009, 06:32
We are going to have well over 100 people working today. It looks like the bulk of the rain will be gone before we start and then spotty showers after that. It's going to be messy.

Chaco Taco
05-17-2009, 12:47
Yea its looking soft. Wish I could have stuck around for it, alas, work calls